• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU's A.I. Explained "The learning process"

NFS (sonic)

Smash Cadet
I think of it as a sudoku puzzle, where they put the best move out in a certain situation.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Ha, that is interesting. What would be cool is to test all the CPU's to see which one is programmed the best for fighting with human players. This would make it so if you ever had to practice against a CPU, you could just say "Oh, practice against a Lvl. X (insertcharacterhere)."

It'd be interesting IMO.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
I taught my Ike how to RAR, and now I'm getting screwed up because it uses it at just the right times.

My Wii's Ike also has a tendency to use Eruption when you're trying to recover.

K 2

Smash Lord
Wow, nice job with the testing. Everyone's been dieing to know this forever and I'm glad you took the time to figure everything out.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
This is really neat. Thank you for testing all of this.

The second video was pretty funny,

*jumps off platform* "DK!!!"

*runs around the bottom charging DK punch* "Your not even trying now, are you?"

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
CPU's DO learn, and not only do they learn important stuff, they learn from everything you do. I have played CPUs numerous times that, quite apart from the pose that they ordinarily throw out after killing you, would instead do the "teabag dance" ie, crouch and uncrouch repeatedly. This is most prominent in characters such as Marth and Kirby, the latter of which I have done the teabag dance many times as, but the former I have never done it as, and neither has anyone who plays on my wii.

nude-fox

Smash Rookie
I am thinking using Falcon punches 50 times without hitting something and see how often falcon uses falcon punch in a 1 min match and then 50 times hitting something each time then seeing again how often he uses it in between each test doing a few fights with using F punch at all to lower the rates back down

but with out wiping my save the results might be skewed any input on this would be helpful

oh i can probably answer this one i hope
firstly in order to not hav eit scewed from your bast playing with Falcon you need to make the number of times you do the falcon punch ALOT larger so it will override your previous playing with him

and then when you have run the first test and proceed to the second test you need to double the number of falcon punches because it will take as many hitting as you did on the first test to get the number back to zero theoretically and then as many again to have it be equal

possible problem with the above paragraph is that maybe you dont need to use as many to equalize it depends on how the computer learns so

i say

test = 2 minut fight with mario (both cpu's ) i belive
record number after each test
test

200 miss test
200 hit test

and then to see if you need to equalize it
200 miss test
400 hit test

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I used to use multiple crouches as a type of taunt. The CPUs started copying me.

The MK CPU also never attacks my Snake when I shield drop a grenade any more (I guess I blew it up too much). It's too stupid to grab though, it just stands there doing nothing pretty much.

mzink*

Smash Ace
I think I saw this asked before but I didn't see an answer, but would CPUs programming cause it to act differently based on what stage they are on? Because I've gone from FD to another random stage with the same lvl 9 CPU and it goes from being quite proficient on FD to acting like its half ******** on the new stage.

Vv2

Smash Apprentice
try playing on the same map again and again see if it improves...

KeybladeMarth

Smash Cadet
My CPU's edgehog me all the time:laugh:

EDIT: ^That video was amazing jab, jab, cancel, jab, jab, Fsmash then taunt ha ha

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
very interesting, the common belief is that they don't learn, scary.

i'm going to make a cpu tier list and match-up chart but this could **** it up.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
very interesting, the common belief is that they don't learn, scary.

i'm going to make a cpu tier list and match-up chart but this could **** it up.
The common consensus is that the toughest default CPU is Luigi. On my game it's Falco, Marth and Pika...

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No offense, but maybe you suck against Falco, Marth and Pika. As an experiment, go play on another Wii and see if they still pwn you.
Or maybe it's because I main them and the CPU copies their patterns, and CPUs are never hard, it's just that these ones aren't the kind to just follow ******** attack patterns as much as the rest.

Battletanx_Commander

Smash Journeyman
Very interesting. The AI is much more intelligent in this game for sure. Recently when I was observing a level 9 Peach do a one on one with a level 9 King Dedede, she did a Free Turnip Pull. x.X

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but maybe you suck against Falco, Marth and Pika. As an experiment, go play on another Wii and see if they still pwn you.

Or maybe it's because I main them and the CPU copies their patterns, and CPUs are never hard, it's just that these ones aren't the kind to just follow ******** attack patterns as much as the rest.

that's what i mean, my falcon knows how to foward air of the stage and it screw up results. Is there any way to wipe my data clean and keep a copy without a sd card?

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
that's what i mean, my falcon knows how to foward air of the stage and it screw up results. Is there any way to wipe my data clean and keep a copy without a sd card?
Do you mean edgeguarding? I hear Cpus are programmed to do that these days.

Is it possible to "domesticate" a CPU?
Well my Pikachu doesn't pi55 all over the carpet in Luigi's Mansion anymore, but I haven't had as good of luck potty-training Gandorf...

Ike doesn't bark when new people come in the house anymore though...

Bailey

Smash Hero
I kinda understand this thread.

But why spend all this time learning what CPU's do or how they learn? It just doesn't seem beneficial unless you are teaming with a CPU and only Chu can do that.

-Icy-

Smash Cadet
Yeah I did so many Link dittos with level 9 CPUs, the AI is kinda getting hard. I also have a replay of a lvl 9 CPU Falco CGing me, and I swear i've seen a CPU Link DAC. o.o

Strike them down, and they'll only come back stronger.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I see people are still obsessed with this subject...the CPU does not learn anything lmao

why doesn't the cpu ever do anything that I do? and why do they always fall for the same stupid things that wouldn't hit anyone with common sense?

the cpus are just programmed to do certain things at certain times. if you charge an fsmash, they will avoid you until it's over. If they are recovering and you try to hit them when they reach the stage, they will air dodge. After a kill, they will run away until you are...vincible again lol

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I see people are still obsessed with this subject...the CPU does not learn anything lmao

why doesn't the cpu ever do anything that I do? and why do they always fall for the same stupid things that wouldn't hit anyone with common sense?

the cpus are just programmed to do certain things at certain times. if you charge an fsmash, they will avoid you until it's over. If they are recovering and you try to hit them when they reach the stage, they will air dodge. After a kill, they will run away until you are...vincible again lol
So the recording on my Wii of my CPU opponent repeatedly crouching in place of taunting is imaginary?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
the CPUs on my Wii repeatedly crouch in place from time to time. I do not do this. Same with the CPU jab canceling. I've heard many people state that their CPUs crouch taunt, I think it's just another one of those things added in to make them more "human".

Have you ever seen the CPU charge a smash for no reason after a kill? little things like that. Besides, if the CPU were able to learn, why would it copy such a useless action? I do a lot of other useless things, and I never see my CPUs replicate them. :colorful:

Anther

Smash Champion
I think people are putting the same thoughts into the CPU as they were doing for melee. People assume that they're learning new actions, when imo it's just the players noticing the cpu doing more things as they become more familiar with the game.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
My level 9 fox did a dAir to a shine in one match, then a dAir to dSmash the next.
I'd swear this was learned from my first days with sssbb.

goodkid

Smash Lord
There pre-programmed, I don't think they learn too much.

Yesterday I was using Ness in a Team Battle against Peach, Pit, & MK on Pirate Ship. When I used up-B, they ran away to the platform thinking I was going to PKT2, I tried this 3 times, & they always ran away

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys someone else named Churro from AiB did a CPU test too here's the results:

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=8848

BTW this is great stuff to take a look at, keep it up people :)

Also, my Lv. 9 Wolf started jab cancelling into pretty dumb stuff, but I don't jab cancel with him, and he's my MAIN. You guys have anything to say fo this?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
your CPU hasn't "started" jab canceling. Higher leveled CPUs jab-cancel a lot actually. It's just that as you get better at the game and are now aware of what jab canceling is, you notice that the CPUs do it.

Top Bottom