• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CP's & bans per MU

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Usually on 2/3 sets the winner of the previous match bans a stage. So l'll try and list the two stages you'd like to go for each matchup (and the ban). These are always open for discussion.

Legal single stages:
-Battlefield (BF)
-Dreamland 64 (DL)
-Final Destination (FD)
-Fountain of Dreams (FoD)
-Pokemon Stadium (PS)
-Yoshi's Story (YS)

Character:
Counterpicks- 1st stage, 2nd stage
Ban- Worst stage on this matchup

Fox ditto:
Notice which stages he/she banned for the first match to see what your opponent dislikes.

Falco:
CP- FD, PS
Ban- BF

Sheik:
CP- PS, FD
Ban- FoD

Puff:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FoD

Marth:
CP- DL, PS
Ban- FD

Peach:
CP- PS, DL
Ban- FD

Falcon:
CP- PS, FoD
Ban- DL

Samus:
CP- FD, PS
Ban- FoD

Ganon:
CP- PS, FD
Ban- FoD

IC's:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FD

Doc & Mario:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FD

Pikachu:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FD

Luigi:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FD

Young Link:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- DL

Link:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- DL

DK:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FD

Yoshi:
CP- FD, PS
Ban- FoD

Zelda:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FoD

Roy:
CP- PS, DL
Ban- FD

Mewtwo:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FD

Mr. G&W:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FD

Ness:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FoD

Bowser:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FoD

Pichu:
CP- YS, PS
Ban- FoD

Kirby:
CP- PS, YS
Ban- FoD

Last edited:

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
I noticed a surprising amount of:

CP- PS, YS
Ban- FD

and

CP- PS, YS
Ban- DL

Goes to show which stages Fox is best/worst on

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Fox's weakest stage is definitely FoD.

But I only ever CP FoD when I know my opponent hates it/would also do poorly on it. I've had a lot of practice against sheik on FoD so I'm pretty comfortable with it

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
Fox's weakest stage is definitely FoD.

But I only ever CP FoD when I know my opponent hates it/would also do poorly on it. I've had a lot of practice against sheik on FoD so I'm pretty comfortable with it
This makes me curious as to which characters fox has an actual advantage against on FoD. Anyone care to fill me in?

Smokey Huntz

Smash Apprentice
This list should be more specific to the playstyles of each character.

ex. fighting a campy falcon you should ban DL but against a more aggro one I usually ban BF

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
This list should be more specific to the playstyles of each character.

ex. fighting a campy falcon you should ban DL but against a more aggro one I usually ban BF
The thing is that any player can change their style mid match. So l just ban the stage that the opponent can generally abuse more on.

Smokey Huntz

Smash Apprentice
The thing is that any player can change their style mid match. So l just ban the stage that the opponent can generally abuse more on.

What kind of fox do you play (Campy, middle, Aggro super aggro) cuz all of that matters when it comes to banning

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Why CP Falco to a stage that will aid his horizontal control game (stadium)? And why ban BF? I thought a good vertical game is what you want in this matchup?

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Falco beats Fox in top platform usage. His fullhop gets there, while you have to burn your double jump to reach. Fox is actually better than falco in the horizontal, but he first has to deal with lasers. Mostly this revolves around powershielding and wavedashing OoS, but just shielding -> WD OoS can be fine if you miss the powershields. You just have to be really careful about when you wavedash forward and when you wavedash back: if you don't powershield and wavedash forward, falco will probably kick you and then combo you. But if you don't wavedash forward, you aren't taking space and will lose the attrition war.

The side platforms are useful against lasers too, since you can get a good running start to jump over the lasers. You can also jump from one side platform onto the other, and once you are above falco you can more easily attack at his head (his weak point).

Here is my answer to the main question:

vs Falco: Ban DL (top platform too good for him), CP YS or FD
vs Marth: Ban FD (chaingrabs OP), CP PS or DL
vs Sheik: Ban FoD, CP YS or FD or PS
vs Puff: Ban DL, CP FD or PS or YS
vs Peach: Ban FD, CP PS or YS
vs ICs: Ban FD, CP anywhere you can platform camp :p
vs Falcon: Ban YS (idk why, falcon is good vs fox here), CP PS or FoD
vs Doc: Ban FD, CP YS or PS or FoD

My stage ban flowchart is:
Do they have a chaingrab? yes -> Ban FD
no-> Do you struggle to kill them and/or are they "tanky"? yes -> ban DL
no-> Do they have another "auto-win" stage? yes -> ban that
no-> Ban Battlefield >=)

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how I feel about PS being a CP to Marth. Arguably Marth's third best stage against Fox behind FD and Yoshi's since the stage lacks a top platform and the side platforms often perfect for Fsmash finishers. I'd rather go to Battlefield since the platforms are (only slightly) less Fsmash combo-able depending on Marth's initial positioning and where you tech, and there's a top platform. Slightly higher blastzone but not so much that it's prohibitive.

Obviously some of this goes out the window for transformations, but honestly **** that stage. Wouldn't mind it being banned.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I disagree that YS is even bad in the matchup, marth has nowhere to escape fox once fox gets his stuff started, too.

This is how I see the MU by stage

FD- 40:60
FoD- 45:55
YS- 50:50
BF- 55:45
DL- 60:40
PS- 60:40

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think its damn even. Marth covers a lot more of the stage with his sword, which makes it very hard to escape his corner pressure at times (can't stand still, cant move forward, cant jump), not to mention the platforms are perfect for KOing with tip fsmash starting around 50%. On the other hand, if Fox gets something started on Marth, is it significantly easier for him to convert that to a stock on YS than any other stage: the stage itself is smaller which leads to quicker shine spikes, and the blastzones are small enough to allow for uthrow uair KOs in 8x%.

tl;dr they both **** each other up on YS

Top Bottom