• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Couple of cuestions

Gerardito

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,
I have a couple of questions regarding the Ice Climbers (Some more basic than others):

a) How do I do down-throws from platforms without nana dropping? This is a handoff question, and I saw a Wobbles post recently regarding this topic, and he says there are two methods: to slightly tilt the analog stick (which I think is super hard to time), or to press R+A after you downthrow in order to regrab at a specific timing.

Does anyone know the sort of frame data/inputs required in order to do this R+A thing, so nana doesn't drop from ledge when down-throwing/regrabbing?

b) This one is rather basic, but couldn't find it anywhere: I have tried to do Jump Cancelled smashes out of shield, and the only one that works is the JC-upsmash. Is it not possible to do it with down smash or F-smash?

c) Let's say I do a Nana Meteor F-Air out of a Popo Down Throw from the edge of any stage. Is it possible for the other character to land on the stage out of SDI/DIing in? (because of course it might survive out of a meteor cancel, but it's just hard to react to, am I right?)

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

EndingOfGenesis

Smash Rookie
A) to begin with the R/L +A is just the input for a shieldgrab. So in order to handoff on a platform using this method, after popo gets the grab you would press and hold R/L to make nana shield, then while holding shield with nana, push the analog stock down and press A to have nana regrab with the correct timing.
However this has a problem as well because it you press down too much nana will spotdodge. IMO it's better to learn to just barely tap down when doing Handoffs. It saves shield and it's not too hard to get a feel for.

B) honestly no idea,i have never heard of it if there is a fsmash oos, but I don't think so, and icies have many other options out of shield. And if your going to upsmash oos, you may be able to hit a shieldgrab or wavedash oos jab grab. Remember you always get more mileage from grabs.

C) Firstly if your going to go for that Gucci swag move use fthrow, it's more percent if you miss it and survival di on fthrow combos into nana meteor. Now back to the question. Even if you do fthrow nana spike it's still very possible for an opponent to hit the wall, or the stage and tech, however if the spike hits this is a VERY advantagous situation. If the oppent techs the wall or meteor cancels (trust me you will see this more and more as you play people) then it's an edgegaurd, act accordingly. If they land on stage I have noticed 90% of people tech in to center stage. You can cover this easily with wavedash dsmash or fsmash, or another grab.

Good luck with everything else.

Gerardito

Smash Rookie
C) Firstly if your going to go for that Gucci swag move use fthrow, it's more percent if you miss it and survival di on fthrow combos into nana meteor. Now back to the question. Even if you do fthrow nana spike it's still very possible for an opponent to hit the wall, or the stage and tech, however if the spike hits this is a VERY advantagous situation. If the oppent techs the wall or meteor cancels (trust me you will see this more and more as you play people) then it's an edgegaurd, act accordingly. If they land on stage I have noticed 90% of people tech in to center stage. You can cover this easily with wavedash dsmash or fsmash, or another grab.

Good luck with everything else.
Thanks a lot dude. Also, if I may ask, do you know exactly how up b and side b recoveries work??
I ask this because I usually find myself using only popo side bs and up bs. Nana doesnt always join the move, and I need to know the criteria for this in order to not SD so often.

Thank you very much in advance

EndingOfGenesis

Smash Rookie
If nana is in tumble without a jump she's dead, even with a jump she's still usually dead. If she's just floating down then just get close with popo then job or sideb

Top Bottom