• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Counterslide"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I made the video, with just the general options when using this.

I didn't do a grab or shield out, but you slide about as much as jabbing.

Kite typically uses this with Utilt and Counter, about 4 times a round average, and usually wins when someone wants to contest it.

http://youtu.be/Bk77ySJD22k

Custom stage to see proportions for the slides, FD to see practical uses.

Brettster had the guess for the first part.

Also, didn't mean to make this much of a big deal, years of not seeing a video of this up, or much less discussion just builds. Know what I mean?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This "technique" is pretty old, and was probably discovered around the time the game came out (2008). Honestly, the reason most of us don't use it is cause it doesn't have much benefit on the highest level of play, and it is easy to punish.

The moment you get that airborn to start charging QD, you are left open. This means the opponent can hit you or bait you into releasing early and making you whiff. You are left wide open for punishment.

While it doesn't give you a slide, you are better off short hopping, quick drawing, and then using jab, grab, b-air, or up-smash. Counter will give you that slide, but it's just for lulz.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
The "no videos" part come to mind for argument.

Either way, it turns out a situation, does your opponent want to punish from the stage, the ledge, or midair? I'm not saying try this (or even SideB for that matter) when they're next to you in the air. I'm not that dense with Ike. But if they can't just chase you in the air, you can get this or the ledge.

For a more practical use, I've seen numerous times Kite counterslide into Lucario's Aura Sphere, and connect the retaliate hit on Lucario behind it.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for that feeling Ussi, but like I said, didn't mean it to be a big deal. And I suppose it really just comes down to play-style as far as how useful it gets.

I'm not a mentionable Ike player, given I hardly play him, but I have to say the tech is more useful than Yoshi's Neutral and Side B's. Both of which are playable under right circumstances.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I stand corrected for videos, however, I've yet to find anyone say that they know about it.

And Egg Lay isn't that great. It comes up in discussion like every three months on a serious note. Nothing comes out of it. The egged gets damage armor (about half damage), gets double jump and recovery back, has near complete control over how long they are in the egg identical to a grab's break time. They also get a jump from the egg break like a floor jump, and attacks can be buffered out. It's questionable in doubles for a teammate recovery, but better than singles use. When we were doing Egg Lay Fake research like 2-3 years ago we found the very last frame nets you a free FSmash is you realize it in 10 frames and C-stick it. That's if you get the last frame of Egg Lay's catch only. On a different note around the same time, if you B reversal off the edge and get someone in Egg Lay, then that's ok if you just want to give them more work. There is this though, it's a good mix-up if you feel like standing grab is a good tactic.

Sorry for bringing up possible hopes guys.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I dunno about that I've played a really good [Top 5] Yoshi that uses it quite a bit and it's not used on the ground...

That's way too much frametalk, lol.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
SEE, IN MY LATE NIGHT LURKING, I NOW HAVE TO POST.

Egg Lay is an AMAZING move, and it's one of Yoshi's BEST tools. Need to land and someone's chasing you? Egg Lay will cover that. It's disjointed, fast, has little end lag, and it's a COMMAND GRAB. Command grabs are GODLIKE. It forces people to spotdodge, and it beats shield from the air, and nothing actually beats shield from the air.

Who cares about the damage it does directly? You're missing the ENTIRE point of the move. It gives Yoshi full momentum and sets the opponent up into a juggle situation. Not only that, but its utility as far as simply using it to cover yourself is amazing.

Like, really. Yoshi's Egg Lay is tons more useful than this because it doesn't require HALF the commitment.

Sorry Ikes, you may continue.

HAI USSI

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm not a mentionable Ike player, given I hardly play him, but I have to say the tech is more useful than Yoshi's Neutral and Side B's. Both of which are playable under right circumstances.
Fuujin mode ON.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
And I suppose it really just comes down to play-style as far as how useful it gets.
This is true.
There's bad playstyle, where this is useful every game, and there's good playstyle, where this is nearly never given a chance to work.
I get wrecked by egg lay. Move is too broken.

Oops I posted on the ike boards
You senile old codger. Why don't you love me anymore!?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
That's a given. Most people enjoy watching people be dumb and when that's not happening (rarely) you can actually learn something there.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I lol'd at Ike's counter being better than Yoshi's egg lay... Even Marth's counter isn't better and his counter is usable!

You are just Sliding in asking to get smacked in the face

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I remember when Brett was pushing his limits with Quad posting then getting infracted pretty soon after.

Good times

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
God, that avatar makes Ussi's post read so incredibly mean.

Kinda want to use this in a tournament set so I can post the video for the one-up to the last two posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom