• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could this new promotional art hint at how many characters could be left?

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
So this shows off on the side the fighters of the game. On the side you can see there is 36 slots. 36+36 = 72. Could this mean there is 72 character total? We don't see the original 8, could they be absent from the other side as well?

Also mii fighters count as one so it can be assumed pokekon trainer counts as 1 also.

So there is 70 characters including Isabelle.

So it could mean we have 2 more characters or 10 more characters (including echoes).

Thoughts?

Sorry if my math is wrong.

smash-ultimate-special-edition-656x641.jpg

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
69 slots. Please don’t let that be the final number, I don’t think I could handle the jokes

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
BREAKING NEWS: Nintendo's NEWEST Entry In the Super Smash Bros. Franchise Had Its Roster Count CONFIRMED By a Box

We're with Mr. Sakurai now, about how this could happen: "I didn't want to reveal the exact number just yet, but I slipped and told them they could go ahead and show off the special edition. Now we're going to get memed hard..."

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Like most ‘final’ things revealed 3 months before launch, this too is probably a placeholder.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Why would they account for Ken on the other side, but not add Isabelle? It doesn't make sense to me.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
But if it was before she was announced, that would mean it would be before Ken was announced too, so why would they account for Ken, but not Isabelle.
I don't know what you mean for account for ken?

We don't know what on the other side. For all we know there is an extra row. Like I said, there is the potential the original 8 may not be on the box leaving around 10 to be announced.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I don't know what you mean for account for ken?

We don't know what on the other side. For all we know there is an extra row. Like I said, there is the potential the original 8 may not be on the box leaving around 10 to be announced.
Yes, we don't know what's on the other side, but based on this theory, Ken is the missing character that bumps Corrin onto the side we see. What I'm saying is why would they have addressed a character on that side which would bump Corrin over, but not add Isabelle. If it's before Isabelle was added, then we should assume that there shouldn't be a character on the other side. It's all speculation.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes, we don't know what's on the other side, but based on this theory, Ken is the missing character that bumps Corrin onto the side we see. What I'm saying is why would they have addressed a character on that side which would bump Corrin over, but not add Isabelle. If it's before Isabelle was added, then we should assume that there shouldn't be a character on the other side. It's all speculation.
It's that Ken would be Ryu's echo fighter, and so he would be next to Ryu.

They made space for Ken, as they did for Isabelle and whoever the last newcomer is.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
It's that Ken would be Ryu's echo fighter, and so he would be next to Ryu.

They made space for Ken, as they did for Isabelle and whoever the last newcomer is.
So based on this, you're saying that if we were to look at the other side, there would just be an empty space beside Ryu? The same way there is nothing for Isabelle?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So based on this, you're saying that if we were to look at the other side, there would just be an empty space beside Ryu? The same way there is nothing for Isabelle?
I assume so.

I don't want this to be true, but it's hard not to accept it.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It's because this was obviously a render of the completed box that was edited to remove Isabelle and whoever is right next to her. They showed us this side of the box because it has the new characters, so it's more visually interesting. It still accounts for Ken because he's still a part of the complete render. If it's not Ken, then it's another character that somehow completes the last set of nine on the other side (Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Ryu, Cloud, ???). And since Vergeben leaked Ken, we are assuming it's Ken.

TBone06

Smash Ace
It's because this was obviously a render of the completed box that was edited to remove Isabelle and whoever is right next to her. They showed us this side of the box because it has the new characters, so it's more visually interesting. It still accounts for Ken because he's still a part of the complete render. If it's not Ken, then it's another character that somehow completes the last set of nine on the other side (Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Ryu, Cloud, ???). And since Vergeben leaked Ken, we are assuming it's Ken.
Okay, I can at least understand that logic, but I still don't buy the whole theory.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I can at least understand that logic, but I still don't buy the whole theory.
Also don't forget that they said that every character would be announced before the games realeased. So it would make sense that every character would be on the box also.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Also don't forget that they said that every character would be announced before the games realeased. So it would make sense that every character would be on the box also.
That still doesn’t mean they’d reveal the final layout of the box 3 months out.

D

Deleted member

Want to give a shoutout to one of my favourite Youtube channels, and my favourite gaming channel, GameXPlain Andre, Derrick, Ash, Jon the entire crew you guys rock keep up the good work. It's thanks to them I saw this so I thank them and adore their channel.

Anyway that aside I don't think it means anything, and is probably just a placeholder. 72, dang I'd be happy with that but I still expect more. But 72? Dang I'm fine with that. This is the best Smash roster to date, including the original characters, veteran's, and returning characters, and newcomers, I'b be fine if it was 72. That's fine I expect more though.

So I think nothing of this.

Sakurai would never let the final number leak and I think this is nothing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's worse than you think. Isabelle isn't on there

That'd mean 1 more character

D

Deleted member

Oh shoot really, dang I thought 72? Well I still don't believe it means anything but if it is one more character, which I don't think it'll be.

I hope that character is Geno, has a ton of support Sakurai, said he like to put him in. Plus it'd be cool with all he can do. So I'd hope it's him or he's one of the characters added.

Still I don't believe this means anything but interesting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
by my counting there's 36 spaces on each side so thatd be 72 in total so 70 spaces are taken up

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can't be the only one to notice Zelda is missing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can't be the only one to notice Zelda is missing.
You noticed Zelda was missing before Mario?
1536987433797.png

Here's the thing, the characters are speculated to be one either side of the box. They figured out it alternates every 9 characters

So the ones that aren't on this side are in order on the other side.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
View attachment 164407

Here's the thing, the characters are speculated to be one either side of the box. They figured out it alternates every 9 characters

Noticed it because it's really bizarre to split Zelda and Sheik like that.

I'm still thinking it's placeholder art we're reading too much in to.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
I just noticed that it's also a 6x6 grid, makes it very... symmetrical in design.

as much as i'd like to see more characters. i'm willing to accept that this may be all we get. adding another row or column would break the uniformity of how it is now. though I'm thinking they'll at least reveal that they have plans for DLC by late November/early December.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
These kinds of theories have been wrong in the past (ie the Smash 4 website spaces, CSS slots), I don't see this as any exception.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
View attachment 164407

That really borks with the order though because it's very obvious that it's set up to be in numerical order but a lot of them aren't. For example:

Rows on the left side that are numerically correct: 1, 3, 4, and 6.

Rows on the right side that are numerically correct: 1, 3, 4, and 6.

That's four whole rows that have their characters out of order. This seems like a really sloppy oversight if this is supposed to be one of the final drafts. It gets even more messed up if you try to read it left to right as one continous roster.

Add in: the only explanation I can think of is to keep the echoes together with their counterparts but why set up a pattern of numerical listing just to ignore it?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That really borks with the order though because it's very obvious that it's set up to be in numerical order but a lot of them aren't. For example:

Rows on the left side that are numerically correct: 1, 3, 4, and 6.

Rows on the right side that are numerically correct: 1, 3, 4, and 6.

That's four whole rows that have their characters out of order. This seems like a really sloppy oversight if this is supposed to be one of the final drafts. It gets even more messed up if you try to read it left to right as one continous roster.
It's going in a pattern of 9's, which makes sense to me since the website organizes the characters in groups of 3's. The only character out of place is Corrin and beyond, which could be fixed if you believe Ken is in the game

Machete

Smash Ace
I totally believe this will indeed have Ken and a new character to be revealed before the end of october which is when the bundle will be distributed and as such it'll be the full roster as known by then. However, I also believe we will have more characters revealed in november, and they can't be on the box because that'd be begging for leaks and Nintendo has been extremely careful so far.

D

Deleted member

I believe we're getting one more Smash direct before launch, I do think we'll get more characters. Still this is interesting and will something to watch.

Top Bottom