• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Kirby be Fox's one negative matchup?

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
I don't really know much about Melee, but I'm sure I heard on SmashWiki that Kirby is the best at edgeguarding in the game. I've seen in competitive Melee that all Kirby player have to do is hang on the ledge to edgeguard opponents. The thing is, Fox seems to be the fastest faller in the game. If Kirby can vertically edgeguard by just holding the ledge, Fox's extremely fast falling will easily KO him. Along with Fox being a light character and Kirby having moves with decent knockback, I think Fox has a negative matchup against Kirby. Along with all this, Kirby can inhale, and if Fox manages to break out of Kirby's inhale, the property of inhale where, from experience, seems to send the player downward when broken out of, adds to Fox's extremely fast falling and makes him extraordinarily easy to KO with Kirby. what do you guys think? I have a video about it here.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm0zromc2zo[/media]

Last edited:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Uh... no. I don't play Melee, and even I can tell you that's wrong. Kirby gets killed super early cuz of his weight. Really all Fox needs to do is spam lasers and then upsmash.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Uh... no. I don't play Melee, and even I can tell you that's wrong. Kirby gets killed super early cuz of his weight. Really all Fox needs to do is spam lasers and then upsmash.
And as much as Fox spams lasers, Kirby can duck under them I'm sure. There seems to be a lot of things Kirby can duck under.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Can you guys tell me why my statement is wrong? By not telling me why, I feel like you're saying ''Your opinion sucks and I don't even have to explain a reason because I'm sure even your stupid brain can find a reason why you're wrong''.
Fox's lasers if done low enough will still hit Kirby when hes crouching. And even if it could, as long as Fox has the lead he wouldn't have to approach, the Kirby would have to stop crouching to deal with more lasers and take more damage, only for Fox to outmaneuver him and invalidate Kirby as a character.

Plus, everything you are saying destroys Fox (edgeguarding and kirbyciding) requires the Fox to either be bad or to run into his stuff. Kirby definitely isnt the best edgeguarder in the game, and even if that were true Kirby really doesnt have the tools to consistently get Fox offstage. Kirby's overall slowness, frame data, and lack of combo ability reallly makes it hard for the Kirby to win situations up close, and from far away he cant do anything. And if you want to be that guy and say Kirby can fire lasers back at him... two things, 1 Kirby would have to by some dumb luck get an inhale, 2 as long as Kirby shoots back at him Fox can do the same thing and Kirby is slow and easy to kill with up smash.

Its a very similar situation to Fox-Puff, except Kirby is worse in everything. The matchup, therefore, is not in Kirby's favor. Its actually so bad, it could be considered unwinnable for the Kirby. That is why I "LMAO"ed because I thought it was a joke.

CuRsE

Smash Rookie
NNID
McDermottFLUSA
Kirby is way too light to even matchup with Fox. Fox's up-smash kills at ridiculously low percents, so imagine how that acts on Kirby and Jigglypuff. Plus, Kirby is terrible at approaching in Melee, so Fox can just space out with lazers and shines, and eventually kill him off the top in seconds. In the case of Melee, I'm afraid you are wrong, gamecube.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
And if you want to be that guy and say Kirby can fire lasers back at him... two things, 1 Kirby would have to by some dumb luck get an inhale, 2 as long as Kirby shoots back at him Fox can do the same thing and Kirby is slow and easy to kill with up smash.
But what if there was a doubles match with Fox and Marth on one team, and Kirby has Fox's power, and then the Fox loses all his stocks, and then the player on the other team who is playing Marth can't do the same thing because Kirby has Fox's power and Marth can't shoot lasers, then Kirby's nature of not being able to approach would be ok because he has projectiles now and then he can force Marth to approach and then punish him for doing so if he can?

Last edited:

Delta Chae

The Observer
But what if there was a doubles match with Fox and Marth on one team, and Kirby has Fox's power, and then the Fox loses all his stocks, and then the player on the other team who is playing Marth can't do the same thing because Kirby has Fox's power and Marth can't shoot lasers, then Kirby's nature of not being able to approach would be ok because he has projectiles now and then he can force Marth to approach and then punish him for doing so if he can?
lolnope. Marth has incredible approach options. Something you need to understand is that being forced to approach is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you approach intelligently. Kirby's punish game is also a joke, at most he'd get 2 hits on Marth before being forced to drop the combo. Even if this unlikely situation you are suggesting were to happen, if Kirby dies he no longer has lasers and then Marth can just dash dance camp Kirby. Please stop trying to squeeze the blood from this stone, Kirby is bad and arguably loses in every MU in the game.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Even if that were true, how does that help your case in saying Kirby beats Fox?

Last edited:

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
Kirby is way too light to even matchup with Fox. Fox's up-smash kills at ridiculously low percents, so imagine how that acts on Kirby and Jigglypuff. Plus, Kirby is terrible at approaching in Melee, so Fox can just space out with lazers and shines, and eventually kill him off the top in seconds. In the case of Melee, I'm afraid you are wrong, gamecube.
this thread is dumb
let's talk about how this guy stole my avatar

Top Bottom