• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cottony-soft Bruiser- Yarn Yoshi Support Thread (Crafted Yoshi confirmed for alt)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yarn Yoshi Support Thread

Intro

In Yoshi's Wooly World, the world of Yoshi's Island got the craft treatment and the main hero was made of yarn. It played similarly to the traditional Yoshi's Island games but with a craft twist here and there.​

How would this work?

Yarn Yoshi as a fighter would have Yoshi's moveset but with the animations used in Wooly World (eg. Wheel legs when dashing, turning into a block to ground pound) and instead of eggs, he would have yarn balls. I'm thinking less damaging but more bouncy for some unpredictability​

Wouldn't it be better as a costume?

Maybe but it would look weird if Yarn Yoshi was using eggs and had the exact same non-attack animations as Yoshi does. Plus it would finally give the Yoshi series a second representative after 19 years so that's a plus​

Supporters

1. Me ( Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 )
  2. fogbadge fogbadge
  3. Zinith Zinith
  4. S SEGAGameBoy
  5. PeridotGX PeridotGX
  6. smileMasky smileMasky
  7. T ThoughtfulWanderer
  8. Hydra of Chaos Hydra of Chaos
  9. WertQuadNine WertQuadNine
  10. Radical Bones Radical Bones
  11. MalachitJR MalachitJR
  12. Mastermiine Mastermiine
  13. Flyboy Flyboy
  14. Squirtle/Mario guy Squirtle/Mario guy
  15. Deoxys911 Deoxys911
  16. Proceleon Proceleon
  17. Mamboo07 Mamboo07

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random thought, if Yarn Yoshi is an Echo, Captain Falcon would be the only sole representative of his series for the entire of Smash.

FALCON LONELINESS!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played 1 Yoshi game: Yoshi's New Island. But, I'm planning on getting Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World for my 3DS. I support!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've only played 1 Yoshi game: Yoshi's New Island. But, I'm planning on getting Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World for my 3DS. I support!
I recommend it. The gameplay is similar but it looks better and all the collectables do something rather than being there for collectable's sake. Plus you can play Poochy who is adorable and a good boy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing I will say is that the Woolly World Stage hasn't been seen yet, in spite of all the other Yoshi stages (bar the SMW one) showing up.

Wonder if they're holding it back for something...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question: Would you prefer Woolly World's Design that's got cute stubby arms (which may be a design problem) or the version in the upcoming game with arms that are more anatomically correct (but looks a bit too similar to standard Yoshi for my tastes)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Question: Would you prefer Woolly World's Design that's got cute stubby arms (which may be a design problem) or the version in the upcoming game with arms that are more anatomically correct (but looks a bit too similar to standard Yoshi for my tastes)
Probably the Wolly World one. Yoshi hardly uses his arms.

Also, of note is that we have yet to see the Wolly World stage. Could it be used for a reveal for Yarn Yoshi?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Too adorable to not get my support. Poochy would probably get a role in a taunt/victory animation and that makes me even more on board.

The Woolly World design is much more distinguishable like you said, so it's got to be the pick. The new Yoshi doesn't really have the animation differences that could make him stand out either. He would fit better as a costume.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Too adorable to not get my support. Poochy would probably get a role in a taunt/victory animation and that makes me even more on board.
Oh gosh, Yarn Poochy!

Even if just in victory animations, all of my yes! Too cute!

Edit: Found the video I was looking for

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking back at release dates, the game was first released in Australia of all places, releasing in Europe the next day, Japan a month later and not until Fall in America.

I wonder what all the hold-up was.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Looking back at release dates, the game was first released in Australia of all places, releasing in Europe the next day, Japan a month later and not until Fall in America.

I wonder what all the hold-up was.
well they had to use a different type of wool in each region

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Woolly World the Stage seems to be absent for whatever reason.

Toon Link was in WiiU which didn't have a Toon Zelda stage at first o maybe we're looking at the same kind of thing here.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
This really should be a more popular idea. It'd be so cool, and could potentially be the reason we didn't see the Yarn Yoshi stage return since he's getting a new one when he's revealed. I 100% support.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Hi fellow supporters!

Here's a concept moveset I made for Yarn Yoshi. Feel free to critique!

Woolly Yoshi Concept

Woolly Yoshi is my idea for a second Yoshi representative. I believe that Woolly Yoshi has enough unique tools and attributes that would make it a fun character to have in Smash. There are plenty of characters that have multiple versions of themselves in the game – so why not the iconic dino?

General: Yoshi would be a lightweight and floaty character as he is made of wool. He has incredible aerial mobility like Jigglypuff, and moves quickly along the ground. When he runs, he uses his wheels from Woolly World. In the air, Yoshi’s second jump is also a flutter jump with armour performed with propellers like in Woolly World, however Woolly Yoshi’s covers more horizontal distance rather than vertical. When Yoshi enters the stage, he rides on Poochie. His alts are not different colours, they’re the redesigns from the game like Shy Guy Yoshi, Cinnamon Yoshi etc.

Special moves:

Standard B: Yarn Ball. This move works exactly like Yoshi’s egg, the only difference here is that they are trapped inside of a yarn ball.

Side B: Moto-Yoshi. Woolly Yoshi transforms into a motorbike and rushes across the stage. Works more similarly to Sonic’s spin dash than it does Wario’s Bike. Can be used in the air to gain horizontal distance.

Down B: Hammer Ground Pound. Another move that Woolly Yoshi shares is the ground pound. Here, Woolly Yoshi turns into a giant hammer and slams down onto the opponents. It is much stronger than Yoshi’s version, but much slower. Think more like Kirby’s Stone.

Up B: Umbrella Yoshi. Woolly Yoshi transforms into an umbrella and flies upwards, headbutting everyone in the way. He floats down like Peach/Daisy.

Smash attacks:

Up Smash: Woolly Yoshi turns into Mermaid Yoshi and does a backflip, hitting with his tail.

Side Smash: Woolly Yoshi transforms into Mole Yoshi and slashes at them with large claws.

Down Smash: Yoshi’s feet turn into propellers and attacks them similar to Bowser Jr.’s down smash.

Final Smash:

Yoshi turns into Sky Pop Yoshi and flies around the stage as a plane, shooting everyone with missiles as he goes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hi fellow supporters!

Here's a concept moveset I made for Yarn Yoshi. Feel free to critique!

Woolly Yoshi Concept

Woolly Yoshi is my idea for a second Yoshi representative. I believe that Woolly Yoshi has enough unique tools and attributes that would make it a fun character to have in Smash. There are plenty of characters that have multiple versions of themselves in the game – so why not the iconic dino?

General: Yoshi would be a lightweight and floaty character as he is made of wool. He has incredible aerial mobility like Jigglypuff, and moves quickly along the ground. When he runs, he uses his wheels from Woolly World. In the air, Yoshi’s second jump is also a flutter jump with armour performed with propellers like in Woolly World, however Woolly Yoshi’s covers more horizontal distance rather than vertical. When Yoshi enters the stage, he rides on Poochie. His alts are not different colours, they’re the redesigns from the game like Shy Guy Yoshi, Cinnamon Yoshi etc.

Special moves:

Standard B: Yarn Ball. This move works exactly like Yoshi’s egg, the only difference here is that they are trapped inside of a yarn ball.

Side B: Moto-Yoshi. Woolly Yoshi transforms into a motorbike and rushes across the stage. Works more similarly to Sonic’s spin dash than it does Wario’s Bike. Can be used in the air to gain horizontal distance.

Down B: Hammer Ground Pound. Another move that Woolly Yoshi shares is the ground pound. Here, Woolly Yoshi turns into a giant hammer and slams down onto the opponents. It is much stronger than Yoshi’s version, but much slower. Think more like Kirby’s Stone.

Up B: Umbrella Yoshi. Woolly Yoshi transforms into an umbrella and flies upwards, headbutting everyone in the way. He floats down like Peach/Daisy.

Smash attacks:

Up Smash: Woolly Yoshi turns into Mermaid Yoshi and does a backflip, hitting with his tail.

Side Smash: Woolly Yoshi transforms into Mole Yoshi and slashes at them with large claws.

Down Smash: Yoshi’s feet turn into propellers and attacks them similar to Bowser Jr.’s down smash.

Final Smash:

Yoshi turns into Sky Pop Yoshi and flies around the stage as a plane, shooting everyone with missiles as he goes.
I like it thought I'd change Yarn Yoshi's Final Smash into somthign akin to the scene in Melee's opening where a herd of knitted Yoshi in all the different patterns swarm past.

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
I'd definetely be ok with him or Birdo. We need more Yoshi franchise characters!:ultyoshi:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I like it thought I'd change Yarn Yoshi's Final Smash into somthign akin to the scene in Melee's opening where a herd of knitted Yoshi in all the different patterns swarm past.
That would be really cool actually! They could be lead by or the attack could end with Mega Yoshi stomping through!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Source Gaming has some new alt renders that they posted, one of which includes a Crafted World alt for Yoshi. Looks like we know why Woolly World's stage was cut.

3.PNG

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Cool beans. I'd prefer the Woolly Yoshi but I'm glad Yoshi's new arts and crafts direction is being represented

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yarn Yoshi is my favorite idea for an echo fighter, to be frank. Felt Yoshi is cute too but I just fell in love with that yarny little guy! I have the green and pink Amiibos because I love him so much!

Arts and crafts have been part of Yoshi's identity since Yoshi's Story so I'm looking forward to more of that representation in Smash.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I still don't think Yarn Yoshi is a character as established as Paper Mario. Like Crafted Yoshi, I can't see them as anything else than an alt.

Poochy on the other hand would be a crazy fighter out of nowhere!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maybe I'm an appalling optimist but I still think they can double down on crafts Yoshis and have Woolly Yoshi as an Echo. We got a double helping of Metroid villains after all

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm an appalling optimist but I still think they can double down on crafts Yoshis and have Woolly Yoshi as an Echo. We got a double helping of Metroid villains after all
Woolly Yoshi does lend himself better to an echo since Crafted doesn't have the unique movement animations and yarn balls. However, seeing them promote Crafted in Smash and cut the Woolly stage tells me they're moving on from Woolly entirely. That'd be unfortunate since I like its aesthetic more, but I'm happy to see a unique costume for Yoshi regardless.

Maybe we could still get Yarn Poochy as an AT since the 3DS Woolly port gave him importance.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Since I'm still holding out hope for an Echo, anyone else want to be added to the Supporter list?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Where is the Moveset ?
Well it's being considered as an echo so the moveset is the same as Yoshi's by design. If you have an idea for a unique moveset, go ahead, I'd love to hear it.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I definitely support Yarn Yoshi, I have since around the time of SSB for Wii U's release! However, I don't think he should be an EF, since that would really limit what he could do. Instead, I think he should be like Wolf or Isabelle, a character reminiscent of the original series representative but not actually all that similar.

As touched upon in the first post of this thread, Yarn Yoshi should use the transformations seen in Woolly World. That is actually part of why I don't think he should be an echo of Yoshi, since a good portion of those transformations would change his frame and shape too much, meaning Yarn Yoshi as an Echo Fighter wouldn't be able to fully embrace them due to the limitations of the concept. However, as a unique character he could go all-in on transformations, really showing the charm and uniqueness of Yarn Yoshi, not to mention finally representing the transformation powers that even normal Yoshi has had for years that Smash has completely ignored.

I imagine a lot of people would be surprised to see Yarn Yoshi as anything other than an echo, and some would probably even be irked that we were getting another "clone" of a character, but they would be sorely mistaken to think that, if done any semblance of justice, he wouldn't be a fun, interesting addition to the roster, and not just for his amazing aesthetic.

Top Bottom