• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cosmetic Standardization Project - standardized CSPs, BPs, and stocks for all Project M characters and costumes

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110

Welcome to the Cosmetic Standardization Project SmashBoards thread! Here I'll be making announcements about the progress of this project and eventually this will be a destination for people to add their own cosmetics!

What is the Cosmetic Standardization Project? A set of tools that make creating custom CSPs, BPs, and Stock Icons for Project M and Legacy builds as painless as possible.

What tools are available to you? We have the BrawlBox pose files (.chr0 files) for all character poses, camera and lighting templates for Blender (free rendering software), and an addon for Gimp that automates the CSP, BP, and Stock Icon creation process.

Who's all involved in this project? So far a small group of Blender renderers and cosmetic powerhouses from the Brawl modding scene.Myself, tryptech, Layell, MetalLegacy, EggTimer, and Xenthos. We call ourselves the CSP Backroom.

When can you expect this project to be completed? It's available now! Join us on Discord!

Hey all, David here. The character selection screen portraits in Super Smash Bros. Legacy were posed and rendered by Nanobuds, Sylv, Kuro Kairaku and me.

I plan on showcasing them here and making packs for vPM 3.6 and even Brawl.

Enjoy!

For now, check out the gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/ezpAO

I'll also be taking requests in the future!

Critiques / thoughts / suggestions welcomed.

Edit: this post will soon be filled with character renders and not just linking to an Imgur album. But I'm pretty tired after today so I'm gonna do this later. :)

Last edited:

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I'm reserving this space for fun!

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Does your build use vBrawl's black Marth? Unless you're using an S3 Marth or some other lookalike and I can't tell, the cape pin thingy should be yellow. Is that part similar to characters' eyes, which have to be photoshopped back in manually after rendering them?

Edit: noticed the pants are black too, so I'm assuming it's just a custom lookalike. nvm aha

Last edited:

CopynPasteKevin

Smash Cadet
NNID
CopynPaste
Dat quality tho.
Noice man, can't wait for more renders from different costumes to come! I've seen Star's Sonic Semi-Alt Pack and wanted to get some csp's from some other costumes as well!

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57

Smash Apprentice
When the 20 costume code is finished...... will that be used for Legacy and Legacy Xp? The random removal of costumes doesn't need to happen, and when than code is done, you can add more costumes so you can get all the Project M ones plus all the hew ones you want.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
This project is indefinitely on hold.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Nearly a year later, the CSP Standardization Project is in full force. I'll be posting progress here soon!

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Ah fantastic, renders of that older falcon pose. if only the dark blue one had a render e___e still, this is exquisite

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Preview time?

or this imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/pxbMw

Some people might notice that Lucario's fur on his Legacy CSP is slightly different on his Gi costume, the CSP Standardized Project will fix that thanks to the power of science. More coming Soon™!

Last edited:

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
We've very close to finishing up the initial scenes for these characters. The next steps will be to polish the scenes and create the initial assets before we share with you all.

tryptech

Smash Cadet
It would behoove everyone interested to learn about Blender and rendering before the initial release, at the very least learning how the interface works. The planned tutorials will only get you so far.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Oh man. So basically this is gonna be a thread for like already 'ready' blender files and poses and such that you can plug into your custom content to make matching CSPs... n such?

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Oh man. So basically this is gonna be a thread for like already 'ready' blender files and poses and such that you can plug into your custom content to make matching CSPs... n such?
Yes that sounds simple.... but it feels like more..... even the brightest Smash 3.... or whatever this is....

Last edited:

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Seeing that the poses and other stuff needed for rendering like this is to be soon open to the public... I'm loving it.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
That's the idea!

Yes that sounds simple.... but it feels like more..... even the brightest Smash 3.... or whatever this is....

This proof of concept proves it doesn't matter how non-Brawl your custom skin is, it should work with this project.

Seeing that the poses and other stuff needed for rendering like this is to be soon open to the public... I'm loving it.
You bet it is. And we're gonna provide tutorials so people an add their own poses to the project.

Shren

Smash Journeyman
That's the idea!

This proof of concept proves it doesn't matter how non-Brawl your custom skin is, it should work with this project.

You bet it is. And we're gonna provide tutorials so people an add their own poses to the project.
Hallelujah!

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Hello and welcome to 2018, and with this new year we're going to start it out right with the 12 days of CSP Standardization Project's Cool Stuff Posts! At the end of these 12 days there will indeed be some cool stuff posted!

Today our Cool Stuff Post is that we will be doing HD Stock Icons:

Mamma mia, look at him in all of his capped glory.

Hope you enjoy and see you all tomorrow!

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Hello and welcome to 2018, and with this new year we're going to start it out right with the 12 days of CSP Standardization Project's Cool Stuff Posts! At the end of these 12 days there will indeed be some cool stuff posted!

Today our Cool Stuff Post is that we will be doing HD Stock Icons:

Mamma mia, look at him in all of his capped glory.

Hope you enjoy and see you all tomorrow!
So basically the 12 days of Christmas thing, but a month late...

D

Deleted member

Who cares about the format? Cool stuff for 12 days!

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Man don't take this as a minus... we just want to show off new content!

CSP Standardization Project Cool Stuff Post #2

This project will also be using render based stocks, something my fellow Smash 3 fans know about plenty!

Here is Link and his original TE one and his new stock.
>

Link... I... came... to town.

Making these stocks will be very painless, the GIMP plugin made by tryptech will automatically crop out the unwanted parts, shrink the image down, apply an outline, and reduce the colours to 16.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
CSP Standardization Project Cool Stuff Post #3

Sometimes just a render of a head isn't enough for stocks... you still need to recolour something to identify the costume!

PJ Ness Hair recolours courtesy of Metal Legacy are here to fix that, and every stock that requires these will have a template included in the pack. Using these templates it will be very easy to make your own SD or HD stocks.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
CSP Standardization Project Cool Stuff Post #4

There will be renders for CSP/BPs and render setting just for the stocks. This might have been obvious from the above posts since Mario's stock doesn't have a hand in it... but I thought it's cool enough to show off!

Kirby is a round boy... but could he be rounder?

Now all he needs is a paintbrush to guide his path!

Last edited:

Shren

Smash Journeyman
CSP Standardization Project Cool Stuff Post #4

There will be renders for CSP/BPs and render setting just for the stocks. This might have been obvious from the above posts since Mario's stock doesn't have a hand in it... but I thought it's cool enough to show off!

Kirby is a round boy... but could he be rounder?

Now all he needs is a paintbrush to guide his path!
:kirby2:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
CSP Standardization Project Cool Stuff Post #5

Let's play a game of spot the differences:

vs

you don't actually have to post it's okay.

Models will be smoothed to improve the overall look. This will cause alternate costumes other users add to also require a bit of smoothing. Some instructions on how to do this will be provided at or near release.

Cool Stuff Post #6

GIMPs recolour tool is really good, maybe even better than photoshop?

Thisi s the Gravity Suit Samus stock head, the purple is just right, and because it's just the head I don't need to worry about being exact with UVs or anything.

Cool Stuff Edit Post #7

The Pandora's Box of Game and Watch renders... the sky is the limit.

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Double Barrel Roll Whammey

(I was busy yesterday)

Wolf is having an existential crisis over his new pose, (not final of course)

Falco, however, is content in knowing the source of his pose!

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Cool Stuff Post #10

Here is the original Legacy Kart ROB CSP

Oh my did nobody notice that giant missing shoulder chunk? Poor Kart Rob... he had one racing accident too many

But now he'll be snaking around the maps in full shoulder pad glory!

There is a funny stream David did where I am yelling at him in a text chat on how to fix this here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203334279

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Cool Stuff Post #11

Sometimes stocks need to have slightly bigger proportions than the actual render

Bowsers collar here is much bigger than it usually is, if I mentioned it would you even be able to tell?

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Final Cool Stuff Post for the CSP Standardization Project

The big reveal...

Hope you enjoyed!

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
What tools are available to you? When the project is finished, we'll have the BrawlBox pose files (.chr0 files) for all character poses, camera and lighting templates for Blender (free rendering software), and an addon for Gimp that automates the CSP and BP creation process.

[/SPOILER]
Can I use these camera and lighting templates in 3ds max?

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
And now for the most important update of all (not really), we've renamed this project from CSP Standardization Project to Cosmetic Standardization Project! We'll be supporting Stock Icon creation in addition to CSPs/RSPs, and BPs.

Last edited:

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Just discovered this and it's something I've been seriously dreaming of for years. Can't wait to see more!

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
To update you all, we're in the polishing stages of this project. You can see tryptech tryptech 's work when he goes live on Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/tryptech) and Mixer (https://mixer.com/tryptech). Once we're done with this stage, we'll be finalizing the standard look and feel across all cosmetics, and then we'll release it to the public. This means all pose files, Blender scenes, and tools to batch create CSPs, BPs, and stocks will be available to you.

To say that I'm excited about this is an understatement. It's something I've dreamt of for years, and it's finally happening with the help of some really talented Blender artists. Thank you CSP Backroomers tryptech tryptech Layell Layell @Xenthos EggTimer, @Metal Legacy and consultants Kuro, Moe and Mach 7.

Last edited:
Top Bottom