• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin vs Cloud

Kopaka355

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kopaka355
Recently I've been trying out corrin to help out out with some character but I always have trouble with cloud. How do I beat him.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The one thing I can offer without a more specific definition of "trouble" is to not put yourself in bad positions with dragon shot or whatever it's called. It is WAY too easy for Clouds to punish and once you're in the air it might be difficult for that not to lead to big damage. That and Limit Cloud is much easier for you to juggle with fairs and up airs, so look out for those opportunities.

Ryochi

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyochiMayeabara
I heard M2K pretty much say that Corrin kind of has a harder time against Cloud since most of her attacks pop Cloud upwards. So its actually harder for her to edgeguard Cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bqU9taeRAM

He says it here and he says that Ike and Roy might be better suited for edgeguarding Cloud.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I heard M2K pretty much say that Corrin kind of has a harder time against Cloud since most of her attacks pop Cloud upwards. So its actually harder for her to edgeguard Cloud.

He says it here and he says that Ike and Roy might be better suited for edgeguarding Cloud.
On the other hand, her one edgeguard tool that doesn't pop the target upwards, Bair, will send him at a very bad angle that basically seals the stock by forcing him to use Climhazzard from below and get ended by Fsmash or Instant Lunge.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget Cloud's upB doesn't snap, he is always vulnerable to tipper fsmash and tipper DL for longer than other characters.

Accurately shoot a DFS at him while he's offstage and he'll have to airdodge it forcing a low recovery that you can achieve a tipper IP with.

If he jumps to avoid it you can get tipper fsmash anyway, or simply juggle.

Being sent up does mean he gets to glide back to the stage without going to ledge more frequently, but it's not a good position for him against an opponent that likes to juggle. They won't resort to dair to stop your juggles after you've demonstrated that it will kill them off the top at 60% if they continue to resort to it as a safe-landing crutch so make sure you give them that warning when you can.

Last edited:

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Just gunna point out that if you can make cloud recover low, you can always land a counter when he uses climhazzard, it's completely unavoidable because climhazzard doesn't ledge snap. Easy stocks, easy stocks everywhere.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Just gunna point out that if you can make cloud recover low, you can always land a counter when he uses climhazzard, it's completely unavoidable because climhazzard doesn't ledge snap. Easy stocks, easy stocks everywhere.
Two problems with that:

- Unless Cloud's at very high percents, that's just going to send him upward without killing him, squandering a potential early kill. It works much better for normal Counters, but not Counter Surge.
- Cloud can in fact use Climhazzard without hitting you with accurate timing. He continues moving upward for a very small distance after the upwards hitbox has disappeared.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Two problems with that:

- Unless Cloud's at very high percents, that's just going to send him upward without killing him, squandering a potential early kill. It works much better for normal Counters, but not Counter Surge.
- Cloud can in fact use Climhazzard without hitting you with accurate timing. He continues moving upward for a very small distance after the upwards hitbox has disappeared.
That's a valid point about the counter not killing, but I net most of my kills by following it up with an up air, which kills quite early off the top, you just have to read an air dodge usually. I've also done hilarious things where you counter climhazzard and then jump and counter whatever attack he uses to try and get through the expected up air juggle if he decides not to air dodge.

You need to be very precise when using climhazzard to not hit the opponent, most of the clouds I've fought don't have that amount of precision, and in the event that they do, plan accordingly and fsmash down through the ledge.

I don't find cloud to be a difficult match up for corrin, especially on FG, but I do train a lot against cloud as that's my training partners main.

mdoepker

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdoepker

It's not that I disagree with M2K, because he definitely knows more about this game than I do. But I personally don't think Cloud has an advantage in the match-up: I'd say it's even. There are so many tools that both of them can use to punish the other. I also haven't played a lot of this specific match-up, so I guess take this with a grain of salt?

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I suspect that Cloud has the upper hand in this matchup; he negates our range advantage, is faster, and has a "broken" quality (Limit Break) that Corrin doesn't. I think short hop RAR bairs are a vital tool here, since I'm fairly sure it's longer ranged than any of Cloud's moves, and catching Cloud's recovery with the tip of side smash or Dragon Lunge is going to be a vital skill to master. Overall, though, I think this is a fairly bad matchup for us. Cloud just kind of out-swords us.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
A quick tip: Whenever cloud charges his limit break, when you approach him he will usuall react in 2 ways.

1)roll or spot dodge, If he does this do a short hop a little bit before you get to him, and if he rolls toward you use the down aerial because it can combo into a lot of things. If he rolls or spot dodge you can really punish with everything.

2)he might cancel the limit break and do a short hop nair. If this is the case short hop counter will work.

Both of these typical reactions are covered by short hop, so depending on what you see, react fast to cover both the options.

Top Bottom