• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Corrin v. Mario matchup thread

Just from my experience and from what I heard, watched and understood about the match-up, so if there are any objections or any other points anyone wants to raise, feel free to post

Well, in this match-up, you're suppose to use your disjoints and range against Mario, since Mario's overall range on his moves isn't all that impressive (to put it lightly). Mix up your spacing tools between SHFF f-air, n-air, b-air, and d-tilt. Try not to jump too much because if you're too predictable with your aerials, most competent Mario mains would just adapt, dash to you while you're in mid-air to close the distance and (attempt to) punish your landing and we all know that Corrin's landing options are (not bad but) lacking. The main advantages Mario has is in this MU is that once he manages to land his combo starters, you're gonna take a lot of damage, but he still needs to get through your wall

Mario's approaches such as grab, b-air and d-air are not that hard to deal with. N-air gets annoying though only because the only reliable way you can actually deal with it is by using f-air, b-air (although it's frame 13 so) or IP, but the thing is you can't really get that much out of retreating f-air or b-air. There isn't really any potential string you can net from landing the moves from that certain scenario or position so you're gonna have to settle for the low damage output. Regarding IP, just don't use it too much. Like, IP is really good. Don't get me wrong, but it gets predictable and most players might just shield it the next time they anticipate you using it. Shielding is kinda not that helpful because Mario's n-air barely has any end lag so it's hard to punish. I think maybe a reverse u-air could work against Mario's n-air approaches. Like, the latter hitbox of u-air could beat out Mario's n-air and you can even get some follow ups out of it. Not sure about this one, just thought of it now. Lol. (Edit 2: Just saw the new heat map for Corrin's grounded moves. U-tilt seems to do a fair job in stuffing Mario's n-air based from what I saw. I guess) Use your jab or d-tilt (both are frame 5 and are your fastest options on the ground) against Mario when they're trying to grab you. If you don't feel comfortable using both those moves, then a retreating f-air or n-air will work, or just run away and IP. Other than jab and IP, pivot grabbing should also be another option to take note of. In case they start dash > shielding to deal with jab/aerials/IP, use your pivot grab. You don't get much out of throws (other than positional advantage), it's your best option against an opponent that's trying to dash > shield. Well to be honest, I still think you can actually deal with dash > shield by spacing your aerials properly (use those retreating aerials) but grabbing is your safest bet against shield

Regarding DFS, uh. Y'know, having a projectile is great and all but Mario has a reflector so be careful. Don't be predictable with it. In fact, you should refrain from DFS in the neutral frequently. Just to play it safe. Use it though for tech chasing when you can or use it off from a n-air or f-air. Just don't throw it out that often. Dragon lunge.... yeah. No. Not repeating myself for this one. Counter surge, well, it's a counter so use it if you're confident that you can predict what your opponent's next move is. I'm not sure if you can counter out of Mario's d-throw combos

When it comes to combo'ing Mario, well, try not to overdo it because he could n-air out of Corrin's strings. Just go for the true combos or maybe start a string on him then maybe see how the Mario player reacts. If he's the type that jumps out to escape combos, that's a queue for you to punish their landing. If they're the type that n-airs out almost all the time. Just bait out the n-air then punish them for throwing it out. If they're the type that air dodges, well, punish it

I'd love to talk about perfect pivoting and how it really helps in the MU but eeeh. Don't think a lot of people have grinded or practiced PP'ing yet (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'll refrain from talking about it

Here are some video footages of the match-up. Some of these may be outdated (maybe only the first video) but it's all I can scrounge for in the archives:

Last edited:

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
any Vods or reason why you find it hard TC i literally use corrin against mario more often then not because i find the MU way way more manageable then pika mario lol.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Berserker. covered literally everything that needed to said about this match up. The only thing i'd add is that you want to be reactive in this matchup (Corrin in general wants to be reactive, but especially in this match up). So there should be a lot of empty SH on your part. Just be patient, set up a defensive wall and let him come to you.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
If they don't nair out of shield, autocancelled SHFair spaced on shield followed by IP does a ridiculous amount of shield damage if it hits shield or more often than not results in getting a pin as they drop shield after the fair. Autocancelling it gives you 4frames landing lag, 8frames to followup with IP. That's 12 frames. They have 7 frames of shielddrop and do not have the range to punish Corrin's fair on shield like this within that time frame.

Nair out of shield is their only option vs this technique as it can cause the IP to miss by getting in closer.

Do this with a kickthrough after an fsmash tipper and you get 42 shield damage. Shields have 42hp. Or do this first then do pin>kickthrough again immediately for another shield break option.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Beyond mixing up your recovery and sometimes going high, it's probably preferred to go for the straight vertical recovery when possible so that he can't turn you around. The trajectory of most of his attacks should make that possible most of the time, but be wary of the low angles his Dsmash will send you on. If your concern is getting caped, you never want to be backed into a corner where a Dsmash will severely limit your recovery options.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
It's worth noting that Mario can't runoff bair the straight vertical recovery either. Bair hitbox is smaller than the elevated wing hitbox so there's no danger of a stage spike. This is a safety net Corrin enjoys in many matchups, the only truly dangerous edgeguard against her are perfectly pointy spikes like Falcon or DK dair that can get in between the two wing hitboxes without catching their own hurtbox.

Mario can consistently trade a hit using nair/dair in the wing gap though, so that is something to watch out for. Fortunately it's a little dangerous for him.

Top Bottom