• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Corrin Chooses to Smash! - Corrin Social Thread

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Corrin
Corrin, the main protagonist and avatar of Fire Emblem Fates is arguably the most unique Fire Emblem veteran we had so far. No thanks to his draconic abilities. While not as popular as the other fire emblem smashers, they bring an important part of Fire Emblem to the table and that is manaketes. While not outright stated to be one, it his heavily implied with their use of dragonstone to activate their draconic form.

Would you like to Corrin to choose to join Smash again?

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Honestly? No.

If she/he does make it back then no biggie, I'll be happy for his/her fans etc but his/her inclusion still feels a little shoehorned to me.

He/she was an unknown when he was announced and let's be honest, he/she's not really made a huge impact imo.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I want Corrin back. I've had so much using Corrin and Cosmos became one of my favorite Smash 4 players.

Besides, Fates is still the best selling Fire Emblem game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want Corrin back yeah. Fates has been surprisingly fun, and technically, Corrin has been the Lord of 3 "games"... So that counts for something right.

I also want the Nohr Noble and Hoshido Noble outfits for Corrin :4corrinf:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Corrin coming back would be great.

I supported them during DLC speculation before convincing myself they weren’t going to happen. Then the final Smash direct happened and I was perhaps one of the few people hyped over their announcement.

Corrin is one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters and them coming back would make me ecstatic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Corrin happened to be quite a cool and respectable Lord indeed. However, am starting to get a LITTLE bored with the 'naive, unwordly Prince / Princess' archetype. Corrin did it well, and Chrom didn't exactly have these traits prior in Awakening, but it has been overdone. I think as a whole, the character Corrin makes most sense as a female. Which is why I think that the Female Corrin is the most popular version of the character. :4corrinf: This should also help market the character better, for the truer fans.

Also, can we discuss Fates here? To keep the topic alive, which is your favorite part of Fates? And favorite characters?

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be neat to have Corrin return. While Fates is far from being my favorite Fire Emblem game, and Corrin is far from being my favorite protagonist, they've got a fun moveset in Smash that I enjoy using. That said, I also wouldn't be too disappointed if they were removed - I'm fully expecting more Fire Emblem characters, and while it wouldn't be surprising if some series had more than six reps this time, I also expect cuts to happen. Corrin was added mostly to promote Fates, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were one of the FE characters that get cut.

On the other hand, Roy was added into Melee before Binding Blade came out, and while he got removed in Brawl, he got added back in DLC for Smash 4. So if Corrin is removed, I could see them returning through DLC after launch.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Corrin is in this weird position where she is the most fun of all Fire Emblem characters; however, she is also, perhaps the least worthy, outside of Roy, who is massively popular. I am not going to lie, I want her back, but I do feel as though the criticism regarding the Fire Emblem roster is warranted and I am curious about the future of the series in Smash. I would hate for the next protagonist to be snubbed for Corrin.

Honestly, I want Corrin back just for the moveset.

Only played Corrin at a friends house, and never bought them or Bayonetta because of the timing, but Corrin was super fun. Would love to have them back just so I could play the hell out of a moveset i've only had a small taste of.
:061:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I like Corrin's moveset too much to really be okay with her getting cut. Plus Fates is really popular. Honestly I'm fine with FE representation being OP since the series is so popular these days anyway. Just add one more in smash 5 and that's it and I think minimal people will ***** about it. Especially if Lucina gets absorbed into Marth

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Why should the devs doing anything with decreasing the number of Fe reps, they are literally pushing their IP, plus its gotten more love then Metroid and Star Fox over the past few years since Fire Emblem Awakening's release. They already have multiple Fire Emblem games released annually. Though people do have a point that they may reach a point like Pokemon fighters in Smash since 3 of them have single-installment inclusions due to a generation being irrelevant. Corrin and Robin already appears in the Switch title, Fire Emblem Warriors so they aren't exactly irrelevant. Though the character most in danger is Roy since he doesn't appear in Warriors nor has his game remade.

One thing I would want to change about Corrin is making the Female the default Corrin while the male is the alternate one.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Corrin should 100% return for the next game. His moveset is entirely unique due to him being a Manakete/Dragon character and Fates did very well in terms of popularity and sales. I'd be absolutely heartbroken and disappointed if he doesn't come back simply because people were mad that 'we got another swordfighter', 'we have too many Fire Emblem reps now', 'he's too OP', etc...

If any Fire Emblem character gets cut, for the love of God let it be Roy or Lucina. In fact, just make Lucina an Alt for Marth and make some more changes to Roy to help him stand out as his own character. We'll probably be getting another rep either at release or via DLC depending on when the new Fire Emblem for Switch comes out, so reducing Lucina to an Alt would keep her in and make room for another rep so that people won't incessantly complain about 'too many Fire Emblem characters'.

Speaking of, that complaint is so nonsensical and annoying. Fire Emblem rightfully deserves these reps, it was a series that initially was essentially unknown to the West and Smash introduced us to it in Melee, which boosted it to the point we started to see releases in the west. Then fast forward a bit and things weren't looking good, the series was on the brink of retirement, then Awakening happened and skyrocketed the series into relevancy and popularity and since then has done remarkably well and is becoming one of Nintendo's well known IPs.

Also with a game that continually expands and introduces new characters very, very often like Pokemon and Fire Emblem, it's to be expected to see new reps for those series in each Smash game.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I mained Corrin for a bit and I liked his/her playstyle. I wouldn't mind Corrin returning but I don't think s/he will. Definitely one of the more unique FE fighters.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well I did campaign for Corrin, so I would be glad with their return.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Also, can we discuss Fates here? To keep the topic alive, which is your favorite part of Fates? And favorite characters?
I like most of the cast, though my favorite character is Corrin. I like how they develop as a person depending on the route chosen. In Conquest they realize their idealism doesn’t work and that casualties in war are an inevitability they have to accept, and they spend the entire game doubting their decision to join Nohr and wanting to fix things as best they can. In Birthright they grow into a capable leader who’s views on justice are challenged and change as the story progresses. Zola’s betrayal is a growing point as there is a brief time where even they doubt their army. This culminates with Hans and Iago whom they outright kill in the case of the former. Where the naive Corrin at the beginning of the game would have attempted to spare them both, the now hardened Corrin, who has grown through leadership and loss realized that there's no breath to waste on them.

When it comes to my favorite part, the Branch of Fate is probably one of my favorite parts. It’s Corrin acting either on principals and ideals (Birthright) or emotion (Conquest). “It hurts me to abandon my Nohr siblings, but defending Hoshido is more important to me” vs “I understand Hoshido’s struggle, but I can’t just abandon my family”. I think both are equally valid decisions to make. This is also the most important part of the game, it's what the titular song Lost In Thoughts All Alone is based on. This is the decision that will decide the fate of the entire realm, and it's a decision they have to make alone.

Overall, the story is not very good but I don't have a high opinion on the plot of most of the other games either. Of the games I've played, I'd say Path of Radiance and maybe Radiant Dawn are the one time the story wasn't below average.

D

Deleted member

Yes. I've been using her as my Secondary and She is just a lot of fun to play as. However, the whole Female/Male is kinda weird.

Last edited by a moderator:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Even though I'm personally terrible with Corrin (which is a shame, since I like Corrin as a character), I wouldn't mind him returning. I say "him" because it's the default gender. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest is one of mine favourite games in the series. That said, I'd say it's more than worthy of representation.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
With :4corrinf:s unique move set that separates her from other FE characters I think she'll make it back in along with :4robinm:

Morbi

Scavenger
Even though I'm personally terrible with Corrin (which is a shame, since I like Corrin as a character), I wouldn't mind him returning. I say "him" because it's the default gender. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest is one of mine favourite games in the series. That said, I'd say it's more than worthy of representation.
I am the opposite, I am actually good with her, but I do not want to be because I personally find the character to be a waste of space. Fates was terrible compared to Awakening, in my opinion and therefore, I would definitely argue against it being worthy for representation. But money talks.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am the opposite, I am actually good with her, but I do not want to be because I personally find the character to be a waste of space. Fates was terrible compared to Awakening, in my opinion and therefore, I would definitely argue against it being worthy for representation. But money talks.
Why didn't you enjoy Fates? To me, the maps and overall presentation and style where far better than Awakening. The story is just extremely lackluster, which made it overall harder to enjoy. But then again, I prefer Echoes above both.

Corrin as a character however is well fleshed out, and makes good development throughout all 3 of the routes in Fates.

Awakening will probably not age as well as Fates, but am certain it's gonna get a remake down the line eventually.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why didn't you enjoy Fates? To me, the maps and overall presentation and style where far better than Awakening. The story is just extremely lackluster, which made it overall harder to enjoy. But then again, I prefer Echoes above both.

Corrin as a character however is well fleshed out, and makes good development throughout all 3 of the routes in Fates.

Awakening will probably not age as well as Fates, but am certain it's gonna get a remake down the line eventually.
That is basically the reason, it took me five separate attempts to even get past chapter 10 (I believe). Every single time I would pick a side, I could only go a few chapters before getting bored, dropping it, and questioning "hey, why did I never beat Fates" only to try again and fall into the same slump. It is egregiously bad as I am usually the type of person that completes games.

Not that I could tell, perhaps later in the game? Maybe I was just missing; however, the general consensus seems to be that she is one of the worst lords and my experience definitely aligns with that opinion.

Probably not. But, at the end of the day, I have beaten Awakening about half a dozen different occasions and enjoyed myself while doing it as opposed to the failed attempts at Fates. I am just hoping that Fire Emblem Switch invalidates both of them and moves the series forward. Because Fates felt like a complete rehash to me which is the biggest surprise as to why I could not play it. This is coming from a CoD fan, mind you.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I have to agree that the Birthright and Revelation routes have some badly-designed maps, and that the plots were cheesy as hell. That's one reason why I like Conquest the most; even though the plot isn't too complex, it had a brooding air that I really enjoyed. The reason Conquest is mine favourite of the three is that I can tell they put a lot of thought into the maps. Whereas the Birthright maps were downright clumsy.

However, in terms of mechanics, I do feel that Fates had some great improvements over Awakening. For the pair-ups, I deeply appreciated the removal of random guards and double-attacks, and instead adding a shield gauge and making double attacks possible only for solo units. Personally, I like to have guarantees.

I also liked how they removed weapon durability, and instead gave weapons special effects. Stronger weapons had recoil, while weaker weapons provided greater accuracy and evasion. It gave the player a choice whether to play it safe or take a gamble. [EDIT] I also thought the Ninja class was an excellent addition. Weapons that deal very little damage, but induce stat drops was a very interesting idea. I thoroughly enjoyed chipping away at enemy armour units with Kaze and the other ninja, then striking them down.

[Shrugs] At any rate, even if Corrin does get cut, I do believe he at least deserves a trophy.

Last edited:

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I have a soft spot for Corrin. His reveal seamed to be almost universally disliked. That hatred for Corrin is what lead me to play a Fire Emblem game as I felt like people weren't willing to give him a chance. I got Fates and I loved it. Even with Fate's many faults I ended up pouring up to 700+ hours into it. I've got a save file that contains 200 of those total hours spent. I've played Awakening, Echoes, and FE7 & 8 since I've played Fates and Fates is still a game I replay regularly because I enjoy it so much.

Oddly enough despite my love for Fates I rarely touch Corrin. I like his moveset and he's fun to play with but I just don't spent much time with him compared to R.O.B., Marth, or Dr. Mario. I don't want Corrin to be cut though. I love him too much for him to leave. I do wish Male Corrin had Hoshido Noble alt. and Female Corrin gets a Nohr Noble alt.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
The general lack of faith for Corrin was palpable

Anyway s/he's back, and ready to kick some more ass

Let's get ready for Round 2

Last edited:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
I really like his artwork ^^

Though, his side b dash seems to have much less range in the short video

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Fates was one of the best gameplay I have ever experienced. And while Corrin is a horrible character story-wise, well atleast female Corrin is eye candy for the player you know.

Anyways she is also one of the most interesting characters to use in Smash and I hope the new mechanics in Smash benefits here the most.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I’m happy Corrin made it back, along with everyone else.

His render looks so good.

Doesn’t seem like the alts have full renders available, most I could find was this.

58405539-EFE5-4F31-9FBE-AA7A611A5B18.jpeg

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
Sadly, other than a new Jab 3 animation, nothing new for Corrin in that video.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Let's get a working changelog for Corrin

Note that these are unsubstantiated (though they're credible, thanks to Frozen for the information)

Changes

+-Corrin's AAA combo finisher is different (horizontal swipe instead of a stab)
+-Corrin's pummel is different (a knee attack instead of striking her opponent with the hilt of her sword)
-Dragon's Lunge is nerfed. The range on the kick is noticeably reduced
-Fair has slower startup
+Dash Attack is less laggy (unsure)
+Dragon's Lunge has more range (unsure)
+Can cancel pin by pressing down now

chick fil a

Smash Cadet
NNID
doritoslocosn64
3DS FC
4957-5737-4686
overall is this negative for us or positive?
Let's get a working changelog for Corrin

Note that these are unsubstantiated (though they're credible, thanks to Frozen for the information)

Changes

+-Corrin's AAA combo finisher is different (horizontal swipe instead of a stab)
+-Corrin's pummel is different (a knee attack instead of striking her opponent with the hilt of her sword)
-Dragon's Lunge is nerfed. The range on the kick is noticeably reduced
-Fair has slower startup
+Dash Attack is less laggy (unsure)
+Dragon's Lunge has more range (unsure)
+Can cancel pin by pressing down now

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
overall is this negative for us or positive?
It's a negative. We can get punished for using one of our strongest tools, Fair has more startup, and we didn't really get anything substancial.

Corrin still mostly plays the same, though

Iridium

Smash Hero

Go to 18:56. When Abadango's :ultcorrin: is launched by :ultridley:'s back air, he attempts to drift with Draconic Ascent, but gets no momentum, compared to SSB4, so that definitely is a nerf.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So I'm the new mod here too. Hi :ultcorrin::ultcorrinf: (what, no female Corrin icon yet?)

Looks like I don't have too much to do around here right now, though. Let's keep it that way, okay? :p

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I'm kind of upset that male Corrin gets the boring colors while the female has the fun ones like pink and orange. Also the lack of Hoshido or Nohr Noble alts are also upsetting. Corrin still looks good though.

Top Bottom