• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin: Better with, or without platforms? (For Glory Struggles and Stage Considerations)

Filler Dmon

Smash Cadet
Um, hi there, Corrin peeps!

Stupid thread is stupid since For Glory's not the best marker for success, but it's all some people have to be able to practice with until they get to go out to real competitions.

So, I got a hand on Corrin about 2 months ago, and I've been playing her (pink or black) ever since. And she feels -amazing-; even better than my old mains do. And it feels like I win more with her (at least on For Glory) in most cases than, as mentioned, even with characters I'd been playing since the game came out.

But some match ups (at least against someone who is about better than me) feel like they aren't so easily won because of the format. When the occasionally yet devastatingly strong Shiek, Fox, or Bayonetta show up, I find myself wondering "Could I have survived longer if I had platforms to poke through, rather than having all the real-estate in the world for them to out maneuver / out box me on".

And so I wonder if these are just the thoughts of a scrublord, or if Corrin might do even better on, say, Battlefield or Lylat, or even Town and City, rather than plain-Jane Final Destination (or Omega Coliseum for dat' theme music power up). What say you, Corrins?

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Most characters do better with platforms, notable exception being mac.

Corrin's really no different. However, some MUs you definitely would prefer not having platforms, or just less platforms(smashville), for example, against characters that profit off platforms more than you do.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
It's pretty widely accepted that Corrin is MUCH better on stages with platforms. DL can do some nice autosnapping things and the maneuverability with it and B-reversing DFS allows for some great options. Not to mention that Corrin is a character focused mostly on juggling, which the platforms aid in immensely. With platforms it's quite possible to use Fair and Nair 4-5 times in succsesion for a nice long, high damage combo. Utilt, Usmash, and SH Uair cover most/all of the low platforms on BF and Dreamland as well, which makes trapping landings much easier. Smashville is OK, but by far our best stages are TC, Dreamland and BF, probably followed by DH, then finally FD. Always strike Lylat though. Lylat is a no go for us as the angled base messes with DL

EDIT: I've just realized that on Corrin boards, I can never abbreviate Dreamland. Too confusing with Dragon Lunge

Last edited:

Damalum

Smash Rookie
NNID
Damalum
It's pretty widely accepted that Corrin is MUCH better on stages with platforms. DL can do some nice autosnapping things and the maneuverability with it and B-reversing DFS allows for some great options. Not to mention that Corrin is a character focused mostly on juggling, which the platforms aid in immensely. With platforms it's quite possible to use Fair and Nair 4-5 times in succsesion for a nice long, high damage combo. Utilt, Usmash, and SH Uair cover most/all of the low platforms on BF and Dreamland as well, which makes trapping landings much easier. Smashville is OK, but by far our best stages are TC, Dreamland and BF, probably followed by DH, then finally FD. Always strike Lylat though. Lylat is a no go for us as the angled base messes with DL

EDIT: I've just realized that on Corrin boards, I can never abbreviate Dreamland. Too confusing with Dragon Lunge
Couldn't have said it better. Stages that lack platforms prove to be more challenging for Corrin. Even though stages such as Smashville and Town & City have their benefits in terms of blast zones, Dream Land 64 and Battlefield are beneficial to Corrin's juggling abilities. Playing on FD/Omega is certainly not unwinnable, but some matchups are definitely more difficult to overcome.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to go wild and call Duck Hunt Corrin's best stage. Rising/Falling dog allows for some interesting pin cancel techs, mindgames, and more. Flat stage walls are beneficial. The flattening of characters makes tipper pins on feet more reliable. The bush is useful. Corrin gains a lot from hiding behind the tall grass to cover moves and mess with people's spacing. The tree also makes for a ridiculously powerful camping position for a character like Corrin with a strong vertical counter, killing uthrow, juggle game, upB and more.

I know people avoid Duck Hunt for spurious reasons like "I don't like the camera" and "weird/jank". But this is one of those stages Corrins should put more practice in with because it's very very good for her.

Dreamland is better than Battlefield for runoff reverse pins on recoveries and ledgesnaps.

Lylat isn't as bad as people think. If opponents to a sliding recovery along the underside of the stage then pin will hit through the stage. You have to pay attention to which way the stage is tilting at all times though.

I wouldn't automatically assume that platforms = better for Corrin though. There are many matchups where Corrin does better on FD, Pikachu springs to mind first followed by any character that can't punish fsmash.

Corrin benefits from camping under platforms as a defensive tool to eliminate the 45degree approaching angle she has some hitbox issues with.

Damalum

Smash Rookie
NNID
Damalum
I wouldn't automatically assume that platforms = better for Corrin though. There are many matchups where Corrin does better on FD, Pikachu springs to mind first followed by any character that can't punish fsmash.
Some of Corrin's matchups are indeed better on FD. However, as Kalierdarke already pointed out, the reason behind this is because some characters happen to benefit more from the presence of platforms than Corrin.

SaikaGaleforce

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-3121-7264
corrin benefits from platforms, but depending on your playstyle and your ability to quickly shift playstyles, battlefield's platforms for instance can **** her up. battlefield's platforms in particular make you have to use lunge/pin totally differently, which is not inherently a bad thing, but can be a bit of an adjustment, i personally would not use corrin on battlefield (although that is in part due to how much battlefield psychs me out when playing her, and my robin works better on battlefield than my corrin does), but i would use corrin on any other platform stage really

D

Deleted member 189823

A lot of people seem to think the obvious answer is platforms. It's not as easy as it sounds, and even more so when you're not super comfterble with them. I make it a habit to often pick platformed stages when playing offline, as to get used to them (about 70%+ is BF, even). I still have my moments where they get in the way and just have me fall on lag. I find it a lot harder to catch landings with platforms, but it should be easier on paper. Along with that, they also go well with stuff like FH F-air (leads to some combo extensions) and B-air (just really ****ing safe in general).

I always found platforms overrated with Corrin, and always found we did better with either walls (D-air > Pin to wall shenanigans) or a mix of enough space and some platforms (T&C and Smashville). But then again, I really don't discard being biased against them. They're just hard for me to get used to. In stuff like FD, it's a lot easier for me to juggle, catch landings and read airdodges and the like.

As to the actual point in hand, I find it's very easy to go wrong against better players with Corrin in particular. You don't have a super hold on up-close situations, and even tend to be combo food against them. A lot of the time you'll find yourself getting shut down by a good shield...

Top Bottom