• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin 4.0 viability?

llams

Smash Rookie
So Corrin got buffed again in the latest patch. Will she fair any better now than she did before?

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Corrin still has some serious issues, but at least her recovery is better now, and the other buffs should help as well. I'm thinking maybe mid-mid tier rather than low-mid tier now?

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Corrin still has some serious issues, but at least her recovery is better now, and the other buffs should help as well. I'm thinking maybe mid-mid tier rather than low-mid tier now?
That seems a bit too pessimistic of an estimate. Those side and up Special buffs are significant changes, her recovery actually works now, giving her a niche as compared to Ike, and her side Special, one of her most important neutral tools has been buffed as well. The forward smash buff is nice for reads too. I think Corrin is upper mid tier, her juggling game is extremely oppressive and with her improved recovery she can edgegaurd more effectively. Mid mid tier seems too conservative, as I think she was already there prior to the patch. I believe Corrin may be upper mid tier.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Mid mid tier seems too conservative, as I think she was already there prior to the patch. I believe Corrin may be upper mid tier.
I don't really know where you draw the line for high-mid but I don't think she's top 40. I think she was bottom 15 and now she's quite a bit better but still not great. The buffs helped but she still has many other flaws, such as sometimes struggling to kill (unless she got a kill setup from down-throw to up-B or something but that seems highly unlikely). Uncharged Dragon Fang Shot is still inconsistent and should be buffed.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know where you draw the line for high-mid but I don't think she's top 40. I think she was bottom 15 and now she's quite a bit better but still not great. The buffs helped but she still has many other flaws, such as sometimes struggling to kill (unless she got a kill setup from down-throw to up-B or something but that seems highly unlikely). Uncharged Dragon Fang Shot is still inconsistent and should be buffed.
Perhaps I’ll give you some credence to your claim. If Corrin is mid mid tier, which buffs would you give her for her to become high mid, or low high? Which moves of Corrin need buffs the most?

llams

Smash Rookie
Personally, I think Corrin is high mid after playing her. She has some combos and has an amazing juggling game. I'm not the most experienced, but I don't have that much trouble killing with corrin. Uair and Bair kill pretty consistently, and dfs is a bit more consistent at higher percents. Her recovery also isn't complete garbage anymore and you can mix it up offstage. You can also go further offstage for edgeguarding now. The issue is that nobody good actually plays Corrin anymore competitively so it's really hard to tell where she actually stands.

Nah

Smash Champion
This patch was exactly like the last one: the only notable thing was the recovery buff, but the rest of it is QoL changes, and so there's not really going to be any significant change in viability or usage because of this patch.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I still dabble in Corrin, but it's so frustrating playing a character that has low priority and killing potential in a lot of their moves. I hope a future patch gives them something to work with, the mobility buff for recovery was good but more is needed.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
If Corrin is mid mid tier, which buffs would you give her for her to become high mid, or low high? Which moves of Corrin need buffs the most?
Well, with Byleth coming into the picture soon, being another FE character who this time seems to be the most similar to Corrin than any other character, and peoples attention being brought back to Corrin after Glitch8, I think its time to talk about the character again.

I feel Byleth's inclusion further pushes Corrin into irrelevancy.
People made those points with the base roster of sword characters but this is the first time I think a character is more directly stepping into Corrin's territory of expertise and playstyle. I hope the balance team has this in mind and plans to further buff Corrin to make them worth playing as a result of this. Much like when Ryu and Ken were buffed right around the time Terry was coming.

More specifically my concerns are that Byleth will have some juggle and combo tools with their great power while Corrin will also have combos/juggles but vastly lack power in comparison. Its fine, and even ideal, if they focus more on differing traits but if one is overall better in all these traits it becomes quite lopsided.

Corrin is a secondary (counterpick) for me and whenever I play them I get a sense the character wants to play a primarily grounded patient mid-range game with precise execution when they aren't in the air combo'ing or evading with their sword and wings. I believe there should perhaps be further buffs to better propel that style. In comparison, Marth is a more aggressive mobile take on Corrin's playstyle.

One way of buffing Corrin's style would be getting much more reward from landing tipper hitboxes on all their pin moves. Now the obvious way of doing this would be adding more knockback to these moves which perhaps some could use but the main thing I'd like to propose is adding much more shield damage.
The main thing that was nerfed from Corrin's Side-B was the range and its overall a more committal move now which is fine for how powerful it is but I still think it should be even more powerful on the ground in the form of more knockback added to the kick and increased shield damage on the tipper.
As another example, you use to be able to break shields consistently with a double fully charged Neutral-Special but after the projectile shield damage nerfs that was changed but this could be reverted back in the form of increasing the bite's shield damage. Maybe even the stun of the projectile could be very slightly buffed?
This overall shield damage buff to tipper pins and Nspecial could sometimes allow for shield-breaks which I think is always a fun possibility for a character to pull off and may force the opponent to respect Corrin's powerful mid-range which could lead to further mind games and openings for Corrin.
After all, if the gameplay footage we saw of Byleth stays consistent, the character looks like they have major shield pressure which makes sense for Corrin to match.

While devastating pressure is the main thing I think Corrin is needing right now I think some of Corrin's moves could still use a little increased knockback but I'm kinda wary of overdoing it as Corrin already has decent KO power (considering their range) even if not incredible. We'll have to gauge this after Byleth's release.
As such, aside from the previously mentioned Side-Special kick part of the move, I'd only also make small knockback buffs to Ftilt, final hit of rapid-jab (so it KOs similarly early to Bowser Jr.'s or to Pit's if Jr's is too much of a stretch), and to Uthrow so it consistently KOs around 135%.
I don't feel comfortable buffing the knockback on any of Corrin's other moves so If these knockback buffs somehow still weren't enough then my last ditch effort would be to increase Corrin's runspeed as I do not believe in buffing Corrin's airspeed. This way Corrin could more easily re-position them-self offensively or defensively.

Overall, I feel Corrin's pressure in the air is already pretty good but I think any number of these buffs could significantly help their grounded pressure and KO power to the point of having more even matchups, particularly in the hands of certain skilled players.
Depending on how things shake out after Byleth's release I might change my thought on some of these things or comment on (hopefully) Corrin patch notes. But this has been my thoughts for the past many months, especially after toying with Corrin a while after their last patch update.
In the meantime, what is everyone's thoughts on what Corrin could use for buffs? Agree with any of my points?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
New patch coming next week mentioning fighter adjustments.... please Mr Sakurai throw us a bone and let us kill things under 120%

Top Bottom