• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Converting From Wiimote To Gamecube/Pro Controler

aquaclaw

Smash Cadet
Hey, I have been using the wiimote controler for a long time now but recently i have been wanting to get into the competive side of SSBB...

so I want to know what to switch to Gamecube Controller Or Pro/Classic Controller and how would I switch?

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Gamecube controller is the best... ever.

To use it, you'll need the Gamecube controller adapter for the Wii U or an original model of the Wii which included inbuilt backwards compatibility (the adapter might also work for the later Wii model, but I'm not sure).

Last edited:

aquaclaw

Smash Cadet
Gamecube controller is the best... ever.

To use it, you'll need the Gamecube controller adapter for the Wii U or an original model of the Wii which included inbuilt backwards compatibility (the adapter might also work for the later Wii model, but I'm not sure).
Thank you :D, Trying to get used to the new controls now, everything seems way more convenient but i keep making mistakes, preforming wrong moves and others, hopefully i might be able to use it well soon :D

Thanks again :D

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
It is generally tough to switch from one control style you've become accustomed to over to another, there's just a certain level of precision Gamecube controllers offer which other controllers essentially lack to varying degrees.

One extra caveat: The GC adapter for Wii U apparently suffers from lag issues when used with the wireless 'wavebird' variant of the Gamecube controller. That's a shame.

Last edited:

Jallis370

Smash Cadet
How does the wii u pro controller compare to the gamecube controller?

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Not sure how you ever got by with just the Wiimote, lol. I tried it my first day of Brawl, realized using it was impossible, and switched to the marginally better Nunchuck.

Honestly, just practiced. As an example, switching from pad to stick in a real fighting game is way harder than learning new controls in Smash. You should have it down in a week or so no problem in Brawl, as long as you just keep playing.

aquaclaw

Smash Cadet
Not sure how you ever got by with just the Wiimote, lol. I tried it my first day of Brawl, realized using it was impossible, and switched to the marginally better Nunchuck.

Honestly, just practiced. As an example, switching from pad to stick in a real fighting game is way harder than learning new controls in Smash. You should have it down in a week or so no problem in Brawl, as long as you just keep playing.
Yea i have got it down better than wiimote but i make match costing mistakes in my recovery sometimes that i wouldnt do on wiimote...

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Just don't give up. Transitioning controls in any game sucks, but you'll get used to it in time. Do you play Project M? You may want to try playing that more, if you don't already. Playing on the Wiimote in PM would be almost completely impossible, so you'd more or less have to learn the GC controller.

That's personally how I learned to switch from game pad to arcade stick in real fighting games - the pad controls suck so bad in games like Blazblue that I just used the stick and adjusted in time. It works pretty much the same way with Smash.

aquaclaw

Smash Cadet
Just don't give up. Transitioning controls in any game sucks, but you'll get used to it in time. Do you play Project M? You may want to try playing that more, if you don't already. Playing on the Wiimote in PM would be almost completely impossible, so you'd more or less have to learn the GC controller.

That's personally how I learned to switch from game pad to arcade stick in real fighting games - the pad controls suck so bad in games like Blazblue that I just used the stick and adjusted in time. It works pretty much the same way with Smash.
Yea i think i got it now... i haven't made a recovery mistake in a bit so hopefully i wont make one any time soon...

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
No, DON'T, PLEASE!!!!!
You know what happens when you start playing Smash competitively?
You get addicted.
You start playing it all day every day.
You picture SSB fights when you are going to sleep.
You dream about playing SSB when you are asleep.
You fail your GCSE's and don't care.
You give up school and go to a professional tournament.
You get a job playing SSB.
You die early because you aren't healthy and don't get exercise.
The end.

AUS

Smash Cadet
Definitely Gamecube, mapping of the buttons are good and the feel of the controller is way better than the thin Pro Controler, learn how to use the C-stick, when holding it left thumb should be on the analog stick, pointing finger should simply rest in front of the L button and the index finger should sit on the L button. Your right thumb should always hover over the A so that you can quickly switch from the A button to the B to X or Y for jumping (Picking X or Y to jump doesn't really matter, its just preference) and to the C-stick below. Right pointing finger should rest on the Z so you are ready to grab at any moment and right index finger should rest on the R button for shielding. I know this might seem kinda redundant but trust me I've seen people who switch over and use the controller in crazy ways.

NoTechZone

Smash Rookie
I'm going through the same conversion and have a tech question. How would I do inputs like a backward short hop fair? on nunchuk it would be as easy as back c then tapping forward on the d pad. do I just have to get fast and move to the c stick? All short hop aerials feel very awkward.

Top Bottom