• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Converting a BRSTM to 2 separate .wav files

JohnTravolski

Smash Cadet
As we know, BRSTMs (.brstm) are files that the Wii and other game systems use to LOOP music. I am trying to use this fact to achieve the following:
Basically, I need to come up with some way to massively export two files from one BRSTM file, because I’m going to be doing this with thousands of them. I need some kind of application that will do the following, in order:
1. Be able to read a BRSTM and use the loop points embedded into the file to achieve the following:
2. Export one wave file (.wav) that starts at 0 samples (or 0:00 in time) and ends at the end loop point (also known as the total number of samples, last sample before the song starts over again)
3. Export one wave file (.wav) that starts at the starting loop point (which usually isn't 0 samples, for example, it might be 14336 samples or some other number) and ends at the same end loop point as mentioned above.

I could just cut off all of these points to make the files in Adobe Audition, but the problem is that I need to be able to do this for THOUSANDS of files, and doing it manually isn't reasonable. Since these perfect loop point numbers are embedded into BRSTM files, I basically just need some application that can read these numbers and use them as references point to export the BRSTM music as two wave files, starting from 0:00 to the end loop point and one wave file starting from the start loop point to the end loop point.

Here’s an example of what I’m trying to accomplish:

As you can see from the picture, I have two files: Space Pirates Attack_01 and Space Pirates Attack_02. Looking, you can see that 01 is much longer and is different than 02; this is because it includes the introduction, prelude, or whatever you want to call it, and goes to the music that ISN'T included in the loop point. Then, where you see the white line, I have my second file, 02. This cuts off the intro and starts the start loop point, a number that is embedded into the BRSTM file. Then it ends at the same end loop point as 01, and the third file you see is 02 over again so that I can continually loop it. When I listened to it, it looped and played back flawlessly.

As you can see, this has massive benefits for me; I can extended music easily to whatever length I want without having to have 30 minute extended files for each (which is what I used to do by downloading the extended versions from YouTube). This saves file space, increases the quality, and offers more potential since I just have to copy and paste 02 over and over again to extend the music to whatever duration I want. The question is, how can I obtain these two files quickly and easily without have to go through and cut out at the sample times manually? I need to create some kind of application that can do that, since the start and end times for every BRSTM are different.
Does anybody have any ideas? If I can figure out how to do this automatically for many files at a time, this will have massive benefits for me and other people that I know.

Top Bottom