• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controlling the Ledge

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
Hey peeps,
Ginger has talked about this concept on multiple occasions, so thought that I should put it into words just so there's a basis for you birds to go off of.

Folks are always complaining about Falco's combo game and how the character is just gonna get worse yadda yadda blah blah. People often forget
lasers are really dumb.
I don't mean flat out for winning neutral or extending your combo game -- I mean for sealing the deal when your combo is finished.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Against any character except Puff, Falco is wise to give up the ledge after a failed edgeguard. I say this because the corner is definitely where the bird is weakest. Though you may have immediately stage control, any Marth upair, Fox shine, Sheik backthrow etc etc could easily swing the game in your opponent's favor. Once they have the ledge, back off to right behind the platform. DO NOT randy forward smash. DO NOT camp for a good bair. These are easy ways for the opponent to flip the script on you. Instead, set up to put your opponent off stage again.

The bird is super effective between these white lines and can cover virtually every action a character has from the ledge. Just by dashing and lasering in this range, you seriously hinder your opponent's options. Take the character with the most ledge options: Fox. By staying in this position and lasering, you cover the three of the four basic options (roll, attack and stand) just with your lasers, setting up an easy follow up or pushing the opponent back to ledge. If Fox tournament-winners or wavelands onto platform, you can easily stuff these with a rising nair/bair.

Lastly, if Fox ledgedashes, you will be outside of his effective range for an invincible upsmash. If he does ledgedash-upsmash, you can easily whiff-punish. If he ledgedash-shines or ledgedash-dash dances, f-tilt covers past the right white line. The longer you keep Fox on the edge/keep putting him in the corner, the more chances he has to mess up/do something stupid.

Note: The one tricky ledge option (especially with Fox/Sheik) is ledgedash->boost-grab. Though this one is hard to deal with, dash dancing in-between lasers makes boost-grab far more punishable since you could easily dash out of its effective range.

The trick is to never blow this positioning. Do not overcommit by throwing out an fsmash (very easy to do). Don't go for a dair. Don't drop-shine bair. Just be patient -- they are forced to do something eventually.

This has seriously helped me in my punish game/allowed me to seal stocks without a lot of work. Corner pressure is one of the things that Falco excels at and this should always be utilized.

TL;DR -> If edgeguard fails, give up ledge for stage control utilizing proper positioning + lasers for rinse and repeat edgeguard setups

Last edited:
Top Bottom