• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controlling The Flow of a Match

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I have been practicing on and off at best the past few months and I usually need to hear things from someone else before I start to implement things into my gameplay, so does anyone have any advice and tips on how to slow down the pace of the match(or speed it up if you prefer). I've just been noticing myself get super impatient and antsy and you can't just throw out moves willy nilly with Snake anymore lmao. Also i'm sure this is information that would help just about anyone picking up Snake/new to the game.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Interesting topic. I'm no Snake master (Marth main here), but I do play him in a... slightly competent manner. Something that I find really effective is slowing down the pace after I take the first stock. At that point, I want to camp and trade explosions ( my percent is irrevelrvant to me at tht point, I just want to get my opponents as high as possible before I die). After I get the first kill, I drop a C4 and set down a mine right before they come back. That provides for stage control and prevents free aggressive approaches from your foe. I begin to pull nades like a madman, covering more area and getting any percent I can. When the opponent gets annoyed and tries to fight me up close, I usually Ftilt him away and pull more nades. If done right, this slow paced camping gives me a large percent lead going into my next stock. So, the short of is, when I'm up a stock, I like to slow the pace of the game by camping with grenades.

I have been practicing on and off at best the past few months and I usually need to hear things from someone else before I start to implement things into my gameplay, so does anyone have any advice and tips on how to slow down the pace of the match(or speed it up if you prefer). I've just been noticing myself get super impatient and antsy and you can't just throw out moves willy nilly with Snake anymore lmao. Also i'm sure this is information that would help just about anyone picking up Snake/new to the game.
Nah, cecil. Its more fun to bum rush with Snake :D

I always thought part of it is mainly with your personality. I am a generally passive and chill person and it seems to show when I play. Likewise I see the same thing in others. Sadly, this is not scientific at all. Just random guess work.

I would try to find out when you want to get impatient and forcibly suppress it mentally. With time at this exercise you might start to eliminate these behaviors. Unfortunately I cannot be more specific without examples I feel.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
It is fun, but it gets me bodied lmao.

Also yeah. :\ I feel like if I got to play people more i'd be able to fix the habit, but everyone I used to practice with offline stopped playing and it's extremely hard to be patient on wifi, because your reaction time doesn't matter. I'll probably just have to wing it and hope I get over it somehow. :\

Taco Emperor

Smash Rookie
I do EXACTLY THE SAME THING. When I get frustrated I randomly do moves into nothing, wildly go for SHFAIRS, and do other crappy stuff like that. And as my opponent applies pressure, it gets even worse. My advice would be to take a deep breath, Cypher up to the top of the stage, and use a bunch of B-reversals as you go down. It has a calming effect, so you won't bum-rush as much, and it has the added bonus of having a C4, and hopefully 2 Nades on the stage, which will throw off your opponent.

Top Bottom