• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controllers in PM

TKano

Smash Rookie
Apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum.

I have a confession: Unlike about 95% of the smash community... I use a classic controller.

Yes, that means wireless, and battery consumption, and many things that people will stare at me judgingly for, but I grew up using the classic controller, and the fact that Y is so much closer to B is really useful for me (Same goes with X and A; comes in useful for basic SHFFLC to me)

But I have a couple questions.

1. Is there an inherent advantage (other than lack of wireless lag) in using a GC controller, or is it just more widely used?
  2. Is this banned/problematic in tournaments?
  3. If so, why, and how can I get around this?
Thanks in advance.

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
There's no real downside, apart from having to sync up your wii remote at tournaments
...and maybe the lack of available colors.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
In a non-tournament setting, go for it. But don't be surprised if you're turned away at tournies; while usage is rare, allowing wireless controllers to be used will inevitably lead to more than a few people bringing them to events. Problem this causes is some players forget to disconnect their remote from a console they played on; they'd have to be hunted down just to free the controller slots up so other people can use that setup. As a community, we trust each other to not cause problems for each other like this, and I'm sure most users would make an effort to always make sure their batteries are charged, they disconnect, etc., but there' bound to be a few who either don't care, don't know, or just mess up. And even the slightest chance of that happening can end up being a nightmare for a TO to figure out, on top of other things keeping them busy.

It sucks, but if you want to enter tournaments, the only way to know for sure that you'll be allowed to play is to get used to using a wired controller. And afaik, we only have one available to us. Adjusting to a different controller scheme can seem super daunting, but believe me, it's worth it. You'll suck a ton at it at first, but if you drop your other controller cold turkey and only play with the on you're swapping to for a few weeks to a month, you'll start to adjust and become just as competent with it.

TKano

Smash Rookie
In a non-tournament setting, go for it. But don't be surprised if you're turned away at tournies; while usage is rare, allowing wireless controllers to be used will inevitably lead to more than a few people bringing them to events. Problem this causes is some players forget to disconnect their remote from a console they played on; they'd have to be hunted down just to free the controller slots up so other people can use that setup. As a community, we trust each other to not cause problems for each other like this, and I'm sure most users would make an effort to always make sure their batteries are charged, they disconnect, etc., but there' bound to be a few who either don't care, don't know, or just mess up. And even the slightest chance of that happening can end up being a nightmare for a TO to figure out, on top of other things keeping them busy.

It sucks, but if you want to enter tournaments, the only way to know for sure that you'll be allowed to play is to get used to using a wired controller. And afaik, we only have one available to us. Adjusting to a different controller scheme can seem super daunting, but believe me, it's worth it. You'll suck a ton at it at first, but if you drop your other controller cold turkey and only play with the on you're swapping to for a few weeks to a month, you'll start to adjust and become just as competent with it.
Seems valid and understandable. I guess I'll have to get a GC controller ;; Seems the most widely used anyway. Thanks for your time and the detailed explanation!

Shellfire

Smash Apprentice
That and there's some ****iness when loads of wireless controllers are on in the same area.

Commander

Smash Ace
The biggest advantage of the GC controller vs the classic controller is that the overwhelming majority of tutorials assume you are using a GCC and thus describe how to do things in terms of a GCC.

In a tournament setting you really don't have anything to worry about. Yes there are issues when a lot of controllers are present, however, there is always so few that it isn't a significant issue and you don't need to worry about wireless interference or other controllers for any tourney due to the rarity of their use.

You can just buy rechargeable batteries to avoid issues related to batteries.

TKano

Smash Rookie
The biggest advantage of the GC controller vs the classic controller is that the overwhelming majority of tutorials assume you are using a GCC and thus describe how to do things in terms of a GCC.

In a tournament setting you really don't have anything to worry about. Yes there are issues when a lot of controllers are present, however, there is always so few that it isn't a significant issue and you don't need to worry about wireless interference or other controllers for any tourney due to the rarity of their use.

You can just buy rechargeable batteries to avoid issues related to batteries.
Interesting. I'll try and find a proper GC Controller. I tried to order a pair a month or so ago, but I hadn't checked the order close enough, and they turned out to be third-party's with some very cringey shoulder buttons.

Thanks for your tips and help guys ^^

Commander

Smash Ace
Interesting. I'll try and find a proper GC Controller. I tried to order a pair a month or so ago, but I hadn't checked the order close enough, and they turned out to be third-party's with some very cringey shoulder buttons.

Thanks for your tips and help guys ^^
The reviews for the Hori "fight pad" controllers are pretty good and are worth looking into if you can't get a first party GCC.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
The reviews for the Hori "fight pad" controllers are pretty good and are worth looking into if you can't get a first party GCC.
Not for tourney use, which is the main motivator towards investing in a GCC. They're both wireless, have turbo buttons, and have a different button layout from what he's used to, so that's kind of a step back in this case lol. With the 1st party GCCs, he'd only have to worry about adjusting to the button layout.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I use both the wiichuk and gc in tourneys. GCs hurt my hands if I play with one for a while while Wiichuks are absolutely perfect. As for the wireless lag thing, I never notice it. I have tested a gc vs a wiichuk by having both controllers control a Falco and shooting lasers point blank and both falcos got hit by a laser at the same time. The main issue with wireless controllers are bluetooth interference at large events. With interference happening if you hold down on the stick to cround your character will stand up now and again even though your holding down.

Top Bottom