• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Controller thoughts

Braicario

Smash Rookie
NNID
October-Scream
I've always been wondering since there are ways to add extra notches to the joystick octagon, can anything be done to reduce the notches? Ever since Ryu came out I've always wanted to play him, but my problem is that I absolutely hate octagons. Don't know why, but I never could do dragon punch inputs on an octagon gate when I used my stick for SFV and other games, so I could never enjoy playing Ryu or Capcom vs. SNK on GCN. The smashbox is an option, but a really expensive one, plus I've never used a HitBox product before and would have to relearn how to play the game on a new controller. Would anyone have any ideas on what could be done? If a square can be made for the control stick to be inside of?

I have a small list of pros and cons of such a thing if it can be done:

PROS
-Easier Dragon Punch input (Obviously the main selling point, since you would be able to follow the Z pattern fully rather than a Z with a curved tail)
-Shield leaning with ease (I would assume to make the square size you would need to fill in the current octagon until you have a square inside of it, making a smaller area for your control stick to move, but possibly meaning you could easily lean your shield without worrying about dropping too fast or wanting to prevent accidental rolls)
-Running on ledge (Practical pro, wouldn't be fully beneficial)

CONS
-Smaller control stick area (I feel like this is the main problem. You may not be able to reach full dash speed, shield drop, and spot dodge. There may be more than those problems though)
-S Q U A R E (Ledge trumping seems like it will be impossible on such a shape, but it also may not be if you think about how many players can do 720 rotations on a square gate for Zangief. You also lose trusted angles if you want to make sure your stick is all the way up, but if you're playing Ryu you just need your inputs if you wanna make sure you're going up)

I could see some of these problems being bypassed if something like hard foam is used to make the square since you could press harder into it and it would push in. A smaller joystick or joystick box could also be something, like the size of the C stick. I wanna hear all of your opinions and if someone does have the want to try this because I do not have the things to try or the know-how.

Astra_

Smash Cadet
I think we should make the PS Vita a controller along with TV remotes and the Wii Fit board as well it would be a great way for players to have new experiences

NOTE: You said controllers

Last edited:

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
Doing tilts normally is annoying, so I normally just bind it to the C stick, so that basically makes the Wiimote and nunchuck a bad pick for me. I would say Gamecube, pro controller, and classic controller are the best. Gamepad it a little too bulky.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
Dude easy solution: Use solo Wii remote it has a d-pad which is a square! (Just don't play ness you can't recover)

Top Bottom