• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Reset: Button Remapping/Macros?

AndyT0073

Smash Cadet
This is my first time making a thread so if i broke any rules or anything please let me know.
So i was messing around with yoshi and his parry stuff and decided to put in vanilla melee so I could use the controller reset method to make one of my shield buttons digital. Then i got interested in the controller reset stuff and eventually this happened.

I realized my x button isn't showing in this video so if anyone is suspicious of me faking this and using x to jump ill upload another clip i took that's less questionable when i have more time.

In the video I'm using L to jump. The L button also functioned as shield as can be seen in the powershield and what seems to be shield stops into full hops occasionally when i full hopped. Even though i wasn't able to get a parry (i suck at it) i think this is basically a parry macros because isn't parrying just getting hit during the shield startup frames while yoshi has intangibility (before the shield visually comes up) then jumping/grabbing out of it? When i would jump sometimes yoshi's momentum would stop as if i shield stopped but jumped before the shield came up. Because of this and the L button's ability to powershield and jump, i think my L button basically became a parry macros. The L button being used as jump could also be useful. In project m when I play mewtwo I use nametags to set L to jump because its easier for me to hold L when doing float cancelled aerials than switching to claw. This could be useful for peach mains who also like this alternative.

Now getting into how I did this. I controller resetted using x+y+start and held down on c stick (yellow one) and full trigger press L. After that my L button did this stuff.

If anyone has an explanation to how this works and its potential applications (button remapping like in brawl, pm and smash 4?) please let me know.

This was done on vanilla melee v1.1

Edit: Just realized that this is just the shield button and c stick up acting together the perform shield then jump oos. Because of this it's not really useful for button mapping and this post really belongs on the yoshi boards for the parry macros. Still curious about the legality of using this in tournament, why 20XX 4.05 doesnt let you do this, and the frame data for yoshi's parry with this (would it only give him a 1 frame window to parry?).

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Moving the c-stick while in shield makes you buffer stuff. You can buffer a spot dodge, a roll or a jump. By plugging the controller in while the c-stick is down, the neutral position reads an up input, which does nothing until you shield. So it buffers a jump.

Something to note is that you can't shield at all unless you hold the c-stick down, and you always DI up. It might buffer some random uair from time to time. Also you can't use the c-stick for aerials anymore.

For legality there is nothing written on this, try it out and if it works it's great lol.

AndyT0073

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the response. I realized this was the cause of it after thinking about it a little bit after i posted this. Whenever i try to do this on 20xx 4.05 it never works though. Is there any way to turn the neutral position controller reset alter thingy on in 20xx? I'm thinking about using it for turning shield to digital in tournament but most tourney sets i play use 20xx 4.05 so i cant do it.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
You could always just replug the controller instead of holding the reset command

Also 20xx should still let you do this. If you're not already try holding he buttons down for three seconds rather than just pressing them

Last edited:

AndyT0073

Smash Cadet
I'm using 20xx 4.05 and i've tried everything and nothing works. I've tried x+y+start multiple times and when that didnt work i tried unplugging then replugging my controller.

Top Bottom