• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Controller / Button Mapping Advice Thread

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Hello, I merged your thread with its corresponding Sticky, the OP has a FAQ section with bits relevant to this topic.
Thank you ♥
:196:

ImBackman

Smash Rookie
Is it legal to set multiple buttons to special attack? I'm thinking if you could set the taunt buttons to special attack to help with Luigi' s down-b recovery

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Is it legal to set multiple buttons to special attack? I'm thinking if you could set the taunt buttons to special attack to help with Luigi' s down-b recovery
What do you mean? Setting more than one button to special?
That's perfectly legal. I don't believe any control setup is banned and I don't think there's any reason to ever do that

Nothebest

Smash Rookie
NNID
nothebest3.0
3DS FC
4614-0237-5336
Switch FC
SW-7778-1527-6678
Am I allowed to change my controls at tournaments?

(Im new to going to tournaments)

twoody

Smash Rookie
My controls: c stick set to attack, x and y set to special(never used), left trigger set to jump, tap jump off. I find this control scheme to be the optimal way to perform double stick sh aerials; tilts and aerials in general are optimized cause I don’t have to worry about changing my aerial momentum when performing them. In particular this has greatly helped my ability to spike since I never accidentally fast fall when performing a dair. This control scheme also minimizes the amount of distance your fingers have to travel, especially if you learn to nair with the c stick(hard but once you get it you will never go back). I essentialliy use the a button to smash attack and jab occaisionaly. I really think this is the optimal control scheme, would love to hear some feedback on it.

twoody

Smash Rookie
My set up is mostly default except for the X button which is Grab.

Does anyone know a work around so that my character doesn't use an attack when using Grab? I can't wrap my head around as to why when I try to pivot grab an f-tilt would come out.

The Grab and C-stick for aerials in this game are booty.. And it sucks considering that was what I did best.
The c stick is booty for you because it’s still set to smash, change it to attack and you’ll realize how much better it is, having it set to smash will mess up your aerial momentum which is likely why you don’t like it. Also, if your getting an attack when you grab, it’s probably because you aren’t being quick enough, you need to input backwards and grab at almost the exact same time to turnaround grab instead of turnaround tilt.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Hey T twoody ! Welcome to Smashboards!
As a rule of thumb, try to avoid posting multiple times in a row in the same thread, it helps making the site look much cleaner.
If you have something to add to your post, please use the "edit" button to modify it.
Thank you!~

As for your question, there's no "optimal" setup (and if there is one, it might as well be negligibly better than others), 99% of the time you work with whatever configuration you feel more comfortable with.
:196:

Top Bottom