• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Controller / Button Mapping Advice Thread

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I have been pretty comfortable with the Pro Controller since Smash 4 was released, but lately I've been putting more practice with the GCN controller, and I do prefer the control sticks on the GCN controller vs the Pro Controller and find I can do my tilts much easier, as well as getting better with perfect pivoting.

What I love about the Pro Controller are the shoulder buttons and the face buttons, which, by setting X and Y to jump and A and B to attack and special attack, respectively, makes it easy for me to do stuff like short hop to special or short hop to n-air.

After some experimenting, I think I found a button set up for the GCN controller that will provide an easy access from jump to either attack or special.

GameCube
B = grab
A = jump
Y = special attack
X = attack
L = jump
R = shield
c-stick = tilt
tap jump off

(I don't like the z button very much so I don't use it for anything).

I find this works great because the jump button becomes the center, and I can easily slide my thumb from jump to either attack or special.

The hardest part has been trying to adjust myself to this new button scheme; it's been taking a lot of time getting used to it.

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
Damn you guys use wacky setups... I like it. I use button jump for my megaman with c stick set to specials and tap jump and c stick set to tilts for my secondaries.

Old Bird

Smash Rookie
Hello

This is a pretty straight forward thread. Are you using rumble, or not?

Would also be interested in statements about the advantages of the ON and OFF state. ^^

Greetings

Trogmar

Smash Rookie
Other then default, is there a standard control scheme for the new 3ds? I'm new here and didn't see this question. I find the default off and not sure how I should change it.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Just as a question, why do some tournaments ban the pro controller? I've heard this rumor before, and it bothers me since I use the pro controller, and I plan to go to tournaments and win for money insted of having a job when I should before I actually am an adult and need a job. But I'm not attending one that forces me to use a control scheme that I don't like. And also, what notable tournaments have had pro controllers banned? And is there any region that has it regularly banned?

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43 Have you ever watched a tournament stream where two people are about to play, but they can't because someone's Pro controller turned on and connected to the console? Well, now they have to waste time looking for whoever's controller connected. They ban them for the potential disruptions.

If you want to attend a tournament with them banned, maybe try suggesting a solution to the TO such as keeping the battery removed. I know Sol (Mac player) uses the Pro controller, not sure how he handles TOs though

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Wintermelon43 Wintermelon43 Have you ever watched a tournament stream where two people are about to play, but they can't because someone's Pro controller turned on and connected to the console? Well, now they have to waste time looking for whoever's controller connected. They ban them for the potential disruptions.

If you want to attend a tournament with them banned, maybe try suggesting a solution to the TO such as keeping the battery removed. I know Sol (Mac player) uses the Pro controller, not sure how he handles TOs though
But woudn't they just take their pro controller with them far out of reach?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So I've got a couple buttons on my GC controller I'm not using. The L and Y button to be specific. I do use L when I play Robin to grab books in mid-air very quickly (L set to grab, to catch books without the airdodge delay). But when I'm not playing her, the button just sits there along with Y (use X to jump).

Any suggestions on how I can use these two buttons? Been mainly playing Corrin and Robin.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If you really feel you don't need them, don't use them.
I have a very weird controller setting, but it works for me and possibly only me because I feel comfortable with it.
So your control scheme should be something you feel comfortable with.

(though a lot of people seems to agree that shoulder buttons set to Jump is a good thing).

:196:

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
But woudn't they just take their pro controller with them far out of reach?
Well they could. I don't know the range of the Pro but I think it's pretty far. People might hang around and watch other matches, or just stick around fairly close if they have to play again

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
So the Wii U Game Pad is a controller that I only exclusively use for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in both a competitive sense and an overall sense; it's always been my natural controller that I've used, so naturally, I thought I could use it for an upcoming tournament in a college nearby, right? Apparently it is not the case for the following reasons:

-The fact that the Wii U game pad has to be synced into a Wii U constantly.
-The fact that the game pad takes "too long" to sync in and would ruin them putting the videos on YouTube.

Alright, so you even if you cannot hear it or see it, I've performed a palm to my face movement over these. First off, the first reasoning is to the player's discretion, not the organizer's discretion, so it's up to the player to carry the game pad and bring it around. In the second reasoning, it takes much, much longer to setup a controller setup on the Options menu than to actually sync in the Wii U game pad, so by the time the opponent's done, the player would already be ready to set their controller setup up with their name.

Tournaments and organizers who ban the Wii U game pad for these reasons or other inane reasons like "they can't react as fast as Gamecube controllers" really does bother me to no end. Like I said before, I'm a person who only uses the Wii U game pad because it's my most comfortable controller. I cannot use a GCN controller nor a Wii U Pro Controller because they are just too small, especially the former since they are really just way too small for my own hands, and they just aren't even comfortable for my hands!

Monetarily, I can't even afford a new controller nor can I afford an adapter for the former controller. So I am just stuck with using the game pad. So whenever a TO says that I am not allowed to use the controller that I'm naturally used to, that breaks me since I know I will lose, that I won't win the tournament because of the setup. I can't find a friend to borrow a controller from, either, since I have no way to contact them for one, so it makes the situation worse.

But this matters because I know there are others like me who only use the Game Pad and nothing else; I'm not the only one here. Tournament organizers should not have a say in what controller preference one would want to use. If I want to use the game pad, so be it. I can sync it up so quickly that it wouldn't make much of a difference and it wouldn't disrupt gameplay in the slightest, if at all. What the tournament organizers are trying to do, in my case, is force me into a controller that I'll lose with and a controller that I'm unfamiliar with, and it's something that isn't acceptable.

Like I said, TOs shouldn't tell you which controllers you should play with; you play with the controller that you are most comfortable with. Why should a controller be banned for inane reasons? It's unfair to the player and it's terrible for tournament representation as a whole. Competitively, my controller is what makes me good; I shouldn't be forced to use another controller I am unfamiliar with, right? I do not see any reason as to why this controller is going to be banned in a competitive scene. It's sad that the tournament I want to go to is doing this.

Can someone just tell me why this has to happen? Do other tournaments do this, or is this just an isolated situation?

These two questions matter. The entire situation pretty much matters, as well.

(And...great, this was merged. That's pretty great. That's, in fact, REALLY great! No, that's just John-worthy!)

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I might need someone else to double-check this, but iirc you can't just "unsynch" or "turn off" the gamepad. You'll drag the whole system with it, so if someone synched one and another person wants to as well, you'd need to turn off the console.
[MAYBE]

But the main problem I have with the Gamepads is that there can only be ONE pad at a time; if both players want it, what is the fairest solution?

I don't really have problems with allowing it as a controller per se, but the logistics issues it brings are just not worth it if you can simply use another controller (even if borrowed).

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I might need someone else to double-check this, but iirc you can't just "unsynch" or "turn off" the gamepad. You'll drag the whole system with it, so if someone synched one and another person wants to as well, you'd need to turn off the console.
[MAYBE]

But the main problem I have with the Gamepads is that there can only be ONE pad at a time; if both players want it, what is the fairest solution?

I don't really have problems with allowing it as a controller per se, but the logistics issues it brings are just not worth it if you can simply use another controller (even if borrowed).

I hate the misconception you can't desync a game pad. You can do it, and it is the same exact way that you do it with a Wii Remote. Press the one little red button it has and you disconnected it from the system. Press the button on the system and the button on the pad and you resync it. You won't drag the system with it and you don't need to turn off the console.

As for there being only one pad at a time, someone on Anther's said that there can be two, but there are no games that allow this feature as of now. If there was a controller that was the size of the game pad, then there is a solution right there, but they do not exist.

And if anyone says that the controller is advantageous due to it being 3 frames faster than the television, let me just say before you say that, it only happens on an HDTV, which has lag on it. On a CRT TV, there's no input lag whatsoever, so it's fair for it.

I've talked with people on Anther's ladder and a few had some misconceptions and some didn't even know how a ****ing Wii U works! Like seriously, they are the kind of people who don't know how to Wii U!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
There's no need to be rude.
I don't own a Wii U so I haven't experimented with it, SORRY FOR BEING POOR.

But the fact still stays that two or more players can't effectively play if more than one wants to use a Gamepad.

That's literally the only issue I have with it, and at a local level I have no problems allowing it, but a lot of TOs just don't want to take risks.

Old Bird

Smash Rookie
Why has my survey been deleted and why wasn't I at least informed about its result?

Who is responsible for this?

Last edited:

Cyberkirby

Smash Rookie
I personally use a setup on both my New!3DS and WiiU that that can be described best as "Mega Man controls", i.e. A to jump, B to shoot lemons...

I feel like it would be a major hassle to remap the WiiU's controls/set my name every time I wanted to play on a different console, but I can't figure out whether a New 3DS is considered "legal".

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Why has my survey been deleted and why wasn't I at least informed about its result?

Who is responsible for this?
Sorry, that was me.

There were some issues with the poll itself:
-There was very low response, if any.
-The poll attached itself to the whole thread, which is more about general controller discussion.
-It could be just talked out instead of having a whole poll for it.
-The OP of this thread pretty much answers what the poll tried to address.
-In the end it all comes to preference; if you don't get distracted by the Rumble (as some people state as their reasoning for turning it off), there is no reason to turn it off, or keep it on.

I'm sorry I didn't inform you when I removed it.

Smash Rookie
Since I'm relatively new and havn't committed to a control scheme yet, I'm looking to pick up bidou.
Can you guys recommend me a controller with 4 shoulder buttons for it? I really prefer the feel of the gamepad over the GCC.

So, there's the Wii U Pro Controller as the first option, obviously.
However I also heard a lot of people talking about the Hori Controller, which I suspect is this one (http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-M...rs=2593656011&ie=UTF8&qid=1459188498&sr=1-4)? It looks kind of nice, is cheapter than a Wii U Pro Controller. Also the shoulder buttons look relatively flat, which reminds me of the gamepad (positive).

Anyone experience with both of those? Or even other similar controllers?

Trainermax

Smash Rookie
I use a wiichuck (wiimote + nunchuck) and am wondering what the general consensus is of a professional set up.
1) What is scAtt's set up? does anyone know? I'm assuming he's done it before on stream
2) What is your set up if you use wii chuck?
3) What is any other pro's set up that uses wiichuck?
4) Is my set up considered good: Tap Jump Off, Jump on down, Side smash on side buttons on D-pad, Up smash on up D-pad, grab set to c, shake to smash off, special smash attack off, only thing on is rumble, rest is default besides D-pad + c(jump)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I use a wiichuck (wiimote + nunchuck) and am wondering what the general consensus is of a professional set up.
The best answer for this is in the OP: Whatever you feel more comfortable with.
2) What is your set up if you use wii chuck?
I haven't used one in a long, LONG but I only turned Tap Jump Off and set the D-pad for Smashes.
I sorry I don't have much insight into the rest of your questions, but if you're comfortable with that scheme, keep using it.

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
I intend to install an octagonal restrictor gate on the Wii U Pro controller for locals and personal use, but I can't find any good information on doing so. Does anybody know where I might find good info for this?

biribiri

Smash Cadet
I have been finding the Pro controller to be pretty comfortable, but I couldn't find much on how significant the wireless lag is at larger tournaments. The last large tournament I went to was at a convention, and I couldn't use my 3DS at all as a controller due to the lag. Anyone have any experience with the Pro? I know Sol uses a Pro controller but I'm not sure if he used it at CEO and whether he had any issues there.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
So I use the Wii U GamePad (don't have a Pro Controller yet, but that could change soon), and I wasn't a fan on the standard control scheme. So what I did is I changed the controls so they were more similar to Mario platformers (A or B to jump, and then X and Y for other stuff, I have X for attack and Y for special). This works great for me, but if I were to go to a tournament, would I be allowed to change my control scheme before we begin?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
So I use the Wii U GamePad (don't have a Pro Controller yet, but that could change soon), and I wasn't a fan on the standard control scheme. So what I did is I changed the controls so they were more similar to Mario platformers (A or B to jump, and then X and Y for other stuff, I have X for attack and Y for special). This works great for me, but if I were to go to a tournament, would I be allowed to change my control scheme before we begin?
No tournaments force default control scheme. You're free to change it as you please.
However, using a gamepad might be disallowed depending on your TO/region's preferences.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Just an interesting thought... If using Bidou you can in fact negate all minus-points of Tap-Jump on?

1.: Accidental Jumping when Shield-tilting/ Shield-tilting slower (use both sticks)
2.: The accidental 2.Jump input when using Up-B (just use the C-stick)
3.: The accidental 2.Jump input when using Up-air (use C-Stick + Attack Button (instead of Left-Stick + Attack Button))

And about the up tilts.... no idea about them..

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
No tournaments force default control scheme. You're free to change it as you please.
However, using a gamepad might be disallowed depending on your TO/region's preferences.
Welp, time to get a Pro Controller then. Although I could borrow my friend's Classic Controller Pro. Close enough.

NickSmash

Smash Rookie
Hello, I have two questions.

My first question is about DI with the c stick when it's set to smash. Since it "messes up" your momentum, does that mean you can use it to help DI in certain situations?

My second question is about short hopping when you have a shoulder button set to jump. Since this involves my controller setup, I'll type it up below before I get to actually asking the question.

I use a Classic Pro controller to combine the advantages of the pro controller and the GCC, and this is my layout at the moment: (Note: I am left-handed, so that may have some influence as to how I set up my controller.)

(A): Grab
(B): Shield
[X]: Special
[Y]: Attack
(L]: Special
[R): Attack
(ZL]: Shield
[ZR): Jump
(c): Smash

Like many others on here, I have jump set to a shoulder button so I can have tap jump off and still easily do up smash out of shield (I simply press ZR and up on the c stick simultaneously), as well as not have to move my thumb around to another button right after I jump.

However, this makes it very difficult for me to short hop into an aerial. I'm not sure if this is because I have to use my non-dominant index finger to jump, if it's just harder to short hop if you're using a shoulder button to jump, or if it's because I mostly play as Fox (apparently he's had the smallest window for short hopping in certain smash games, like 4 frames to press and impress the button) and I try to short hop to be able to approach better with his forward air since the floatiness of that move can let me give the other player respect if I don't hit immediately.
I'm considering changing B from shield to Jump so I can have a "thumb button" to just tap more easily, or maybe try sliding my index finger from ZR to R after every short hop that I want to attack out of.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
I have my Jump button to (ZL] and I must say I had problems as well... Just go into training mode and practice some hours and it'll get more natural.

Oh and do you use the Right-stick for air-attacks?
If you press attack at the exact same time you tilt the Right-stick an Air attack comes out... since the input is just 1 frame long, no movement will be influenced.
But it's soo hard to do this without messing up every 3rd attack

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I know ANTi posted his a looong while ago, but I don't remember how it was at all. All I remember is C-stick set to "Attack".

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I play with a GameCube controller. Tap jump off (I played with it on for a bit, but I simply learned to press L-jump + up + A/B to do up-smash and up-Special out of shield), A+B smash off (I see no reason to use it), Rumble off, C-stick attack/tilts, and L for jumping (in addition to X and Y). I highly recommend L-jumping since it leaves your right hand free for doing whatever you want to do, giving you more options. It also makes it easier to up-Smash and up-B out of shield with tap jump off.

smashedu

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashEDU
yea i understand that but i mean the best controller layout conflicts with it as you use c stick for tilts instead of special according to the vid by smash corner, and it seems he has still yet to release his next vid which goes through the setup of doing bidou with c stick set to attack/smash.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
For Sm4sh, I've been using the GC controller the entire time but I'm considering switching over to the Wii Classic Pro specifically. Main reason being that I have R set to jump but because of how far you have to press it and how quick you have to press to get a short hop, I tend to get full hops when I use it. This wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't use so many characters that can make use of sh buffered aerials (:4cloud::4mario:sh double uair:4fox::4rob:sh lagless uair:4myfriends:sh lagless fair:4pikachu:sh lagless dair:4feroy::4tlink:sh fair to dj or special)

I rewatched the MSC video that talks about controller cons and pros and one of the cons he mentions with the pro controller is the lack of ridges, which the GC has but he does mention that the Wii Classic does have ridges. It has ridges, it has fully digital shoulder buttons and it has an extra button which at first I didn't see much use for until the video mentioned C-bouncing which I had completely forgotten about. Since you need to hit special and your right stick at the same time, I feel it will be easier to have one of the shoulder buttons mapped to special. I use a couple characters that can make use of this tech, namely Roy, R.O.B. and Lucina.

With all of that said, I'm thinking about having my controller setup be:
Tap jump off
Attack + special = smash on
a: attack
b: special
x: jump
y: jump
Right stick: attack (tilt sticking)
ZL: shield
L: special
ZR: jump
R: grab
D-pad: taunts

Mind you, the ZL and ZR buttons are at the back of the controller whereas the L and R buttons are at the front, the exact opposite of the GC controller. I could probably swap y to do something else but since I likely won't use it, I'll probably just leave it as is (might also make up b oos easier although I do that fine enough with my shoulder button set to jump)

I unfortunately have misplaced my Wii Classic Pro, it's either lost in my room, at a house I used to live at or I may have lent it out but I've got the Wii U pro and the Wii Classic Gamecube third-party controller so I have been able to test out this control scheme for the most part. I would use the third-party controller but it has turbo and if I'm not mistaken, controllers with that feature are banned. It's no big deal to me right now anyways since there's no tournament scene where I live but as early as the end of this year, I should be able to go to tournaments out of town with Ottawa being an hour away from where I live.

The only downsides I see to my switch are needing to rely on batteries again and some tournaments not allowing wireless controllers although I'm pretty sure that's a more likely problem for bigger tournaments. Anyways, just thought I'd post this here for feedback.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
For a while I've thought the GC controller was the best controller ever, but IMO it has aged badly. I like the feel of the gamepad/pro controller way more, it feels better for a game like smash and other games as well, the right stick, the buttons, the layout, the ergonomics. Which one do you think is better?

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
For Smash I personally prefer the GC controller. I use it between both Melee and Sm4sh so it's easier to toggle between both games as opposed to using the Pro Controller for one and the GC controller for another. I do like using the Pro Controller for every other game that I can though.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
There are these two videos that might influence your opinions:

I'd go with the Pro Controller given the choice, honestly, though I do use a GC controller and it's definitely nice.

Top Bottom