• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Controller / Button Mapping Advice Thread

Indigo Jeans Presents: In Association with Stock Photo Studio: Starring Emotional Man Holding Video Game Controller:

The Controller / Button Mapping Advice Thread

Hey everyone! This is gonna be an attempt to cut down on the huge number of threads on the topic in question this forum has been getting the past few days. If you've got a question on what controller you should use, or how you should map your buttons, this is the thread to be!

Let's get on with it then!

FAQ

• Is every controller viable/mandatory/acceptable/competitive/insertbuzzwordhere?
    • Well, every controller is viable/competitive with enough practice put into it I suppose. Even the Wii Remote! Though it is just a flat-out inferior option to something like the Wii Remote+Nunchuck. Any controller is acceptable in a tournament. However, there are some tournaments which disallow wireless controllers due to fear of interference with all of the signals from all of the participants' controllers.
  • Will I look dumb if I use the controller I like instead of a GCC?
    • In my unprofessional opinion, no. People are there to play smash, not judge your hardware preferences.
  • Is any controller better/worse than the rest
    • See the first question. The Wii Remote is arguable the worst of the bunch. I'd say the rest are about equal.
  • Will I be frowned upon if I paint/mod my controller?
    • As long as a modification is not overly distracting (flashing strobes everywhere?!) or has something generally accepted as illegal (a single button used to execute multiple commands frame perfectly), modifications are fine. Aesthetic modifications anyway.

Controllers

I'm going to be using text buttons rather than the smilies because of dumb obscure buttons and uniformity
Text | Button
(A) | A Button
(B) | B Button
(C) | C Button
[X] | X Button
[Y] | Y Button
[Z) | Z Button
(L] | Left Shoulder Button
[R) | Right Shoulder Button
(ZL] | Left Z Button
[ZR) | Right Z Button
(o) | Left Analogue Stick / Circle Pad
(c) | C-Stick / Right Analogue Stick
+ | Directional Pad
(1) | 1 Button
(2) | 2 Button
(+) | Plus Button
(-) | Minus Button

3DS System
Reasons to use this controller:
-You are playing Super Smash Bros for the 3DS
-You are playing Super Smash Bros for the Wii U, but are short any other controllers
-Relatively ergonomic
Reasons NOT to use this controller:
-Lack of a C-Stick does not allow for certain techniques, such as retreating FAirs
-Shoulder buttons are prone to giving out
Button | Action
(A) | Standard Attack
(B) | Special Attack
[X] | Jump
[Y] | Jump
(L] | Grab
[R) | Shield
(o) | Movement
+ | Taunt
Wii Remote
-You don't have any other options available
-No cables and small size means it is especially portable
-Lack of an analogue stick severely restricts or hinders actions
-Low number of buttons means uncomfortable compromises have to be made, such as mapping a vital action to a center button​
Button | Action
(A) | Taunt
(B) | Shield
+ | Movement
(1) | Special Attack
(2) | Standard Attack
(-) | Grab

Wii Remote & Nunchuk
-Large number of buttons gives a wealth of mapping options
-Comfortable controls
-"Shake to Smash" option
-Numerous buttons might make it difficult to get used to
-Cable connecting the nunchuk to the Wii remote can get in the way
Button | Action
(A) | Standard Attack
(B) | Special Attack
(C) | Jump
[Z) | Shield
(o) | Movement
+ | Jump (Up), Grab (Left / Right), Shield (Down)
(1) | Taunt
(2) | Taunt

Classic Controller
-Similar feel to the GameCube controller
-Small and lightweight
-May be too small for some people's hands, leading to cramping after prolonged use
Button | Action
(A) | Standard Attack
(B) | Special Attack
[X] | Jump
[Y] | Jump
(L] | Shield
[R) | Shield
(ZL] | Grab
[ZR) | Grab
(o) | Movement
(c) | Smash
+ | Taunt

Wii U GamePad
-Roughly equivalent buttons to the GameCube Controller
-Large integrated screen
-Its large size might make it feel a little unwieldy for some people's hands
-Awkward position of right analogue stick relative to X/Y/A/B
-Only one may be connected to a single Wii U system at a time
Button | Action
(A) | Standard Attack
(B) | Special Attack
[X] | Jump
[Y] | Jump
(L] | Grab
[R) | Shield
(ZL] | Grab
[ZR) | Shield
(o) | Movement
(c) | Smash
+ | Taunt

Wii U Pro Controller
-Nearly identical to the GameCube Controller
-Has the same layout for the right analogue stick and X/Y/A/B buttons as the GamePad that might be unfamiliar and awkward to some people
Button | Action
(A) | Standard Attack
(B) | Special Attack
[X] | Jump
[Y] | Jump
(L] | Shield
[R) | Shield
(ZL] | Grab
[ZR) | Grab
(o) | Movement
(c) | Smash
+ | Taunt

GameCube Controller
-Very ergonomic and comfortable
-Intuitive button layout
-Chances are this is the controller you have the most experience with
-Some may find it a bit bulky
-Requires an adapter for use with Smash 4, which may be difficult to find​
Button | Action
(A) | Standard Attack
(B) | Special Attack
[X] | Jump
[Y] | Jump
(L] | Shield
[R) | Shield
[Z) | Grab
(o) | Movement
(c) | Smash
+ | Taunt

Button Mapping
Tap Jump
One of the most common questions I've seen is about whether tap jump should be on, or off. So lets look at the advantages and disadvantages of having it off!

Forces you to jump with a button, which facilitates short hopping
Makes UTilts easier to perform
Makes SHUAirs easier to perform
Makes SHUpB's easier to perform
Makes rising NAirs easier to perform

May make JCGrabs a bit more difficult to perform
May make JCUSmashes a bit more difficult to perform
May make directional JCTosses a bit more difficult to perform
May make UpB's or UAirs a bit more difficult to perform OoS

C-Stick

This is another one I've heard less about, but still would be nice to discuss. The C-Stick is set to smash as the default setting, although other somewhat common settings are special and attack (for tilts). It can also be set to shield, grab, and jump, though those settings are rarely seen, if ever.

Special (B-Sticking)
Setting the C-Stick to special is commonly known as B-Sticking. The most notable benefit from this setting is being able to wavebounce much more easily. It can be done by simply holding the analogue stick in one direction while airborne, then hitting the C-Stick in the opposite direction.

Attack (Tilts [T-Sticking?? I'm coining it])
Having your C-Stick set to attack confers notable benefits. For one, you can perform UTilts with the same ease as a smash attack, without having to turn tap jump off. You also preserve the ability to perform aerials with a stick. Performing tilts out a skid is somewhat easier. Most importantly, it greatly facilitates tilting out of perfect pivots. Without T-Sticking, this is a feat that requires incredibly dexterous and precise fingers if you want to do an advancing perfect pivot followed by a forward-facing tilt.

Additionally, T-Sticking does not suffer from the input glitches in the air that smash-sticking does, meaning you can preserve your momentum entirely as you should while doing an aerial.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

This is by no means complete, so get to asking questions and pointing out anything I've missed!

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
Add "Only one may be connected to a single system at one time" as a Reason Not To Use for the Gamepad; otherwise, great!

Twizman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twizman
I saw ZeRo say he sets his C stick to attack and not smash. I don't follow his explanation though. He says something about the aerial momentum being affected in Smash 4. He has tap jump on due to no difficulty executing tilts.

Anyway since I saw this, I've been training myself to only use C stick aerials for better spacing, and learning to smash attack without using the C stick on the ground.

Is this the optimal control scheme in order to improve?

Last edited:
Add "Only one may be connected to a single system at one time" as a Reason Not To Use for the Gamepad; otherwise, great!
Totally slipped my mind. Thanks, added!

I saw ZeRo say he sets his C stick to attack and not smash. I don't follow his explanation though. He says something about the aerial momentum being affected in Smash 4. He has tap jump on due to no difficulty executing tilts.

Anyway since I saw this, I've been training myself to only use C stick aerials for better spacing, and learning to smash attack without using the C stick on the ground.

Is this the optimal control scheme in order to improve?
Huh, I hadn't heard about that... I'll do some digging and see if maybe I can even ask him to find out.

Optimal is sort of subjective. Like you said, there are top players who do just fine with some mapping options that aren't exactly the norm. You mentioned ZeRo, and there's another whose name eludes me at the moment, who play with tap jump left on. In my opinion, C-Stick is indeed the best for aerials because your jump and your aerial movement isn't gonna be affected by inputting aerials, as it might be if you do so with the analogue stick.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Yeah the momentum thing is due to the new feature that charges smashes with the c-stick, which is why you have to flick it in air if you don't want to kill your momentum,it's no longer a single quick smash input which kind of sucks. Also I now I try to charge smashes in PM sometimes with C-stick -_-

Last edited:

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
My Pro Controller/3DS control scheme looks like this:

- Tap jump off
- B -> Jump
- A -> Attack
- X -> Grab
- Y -> Special
- R -> Shield
- L -> Jump
- Tilt-stick

Tap jump off for better control of jumping. B -> Jump because I'm an old school SNES player and I find jump most comfortable there, but what's important is both attack and special are adjacent to jump instead of across from it. This allows the thumb to slide from jump to attack/special, facilitating faster aerials/specials from a short hop. L -> jump for easy JCs with my left hand while doing other inputs with my right hand, R -> shield to shield independently of what the right thumb is doing, and X -> grab because there isn't any place else to put and it's not that crucial anyway except for making pivot grabbing easier. Tilt-stick for perfect pivot tilts and more control with aerials.

*blinks*

Since when are JC Grabs in this game?
Hah whoops, my mistake. I could have sworn they were still in but you're right.

Yeah the momentum thing is due to the new feature that charges smashes with the c-stick, which is why you have to flick it in air if you don't want to kill your momentum,it's no longer a single quick smash input which kind of sucks. Also I now I try to charge smashes in PM sometimes with C-stick -_-
Alright, so if I'm understanding this correctly, C-stick set to smash messes up your momentum because of the new smash-stick mechanics, but tilt-sticking has it work like before?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Alright, so if I'm understanding this correctly, C-stick set to smash messes up your momentum because of the new smash-stick mechanics, but tilt-sticking has it work like before?
Yes. Smash-stick negates any use of the left analogue stick, which means if you want to keep aerial momentum you have to use the C-stick within 1 frame, which is unreasonable imo.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Yo, Turquoise Pants, there are a couple questions that would be great if added to the OP as some sort of FAQ:
-"Is every controller viable/mandatory/acceptable/competitive/insertbuzzwordhere?"
-"Will I look dumb if I use the controller I like instead of a GCC?"
-"Is any controller better/worse than the rest?"
-"Will I be frowned upon if I paint/mod my controller?"
Those are the ones I have on the top of my mind.

Also, stickied.

AM Helix

Smash Rookie
What are some custom button maps you guys use that are more character-specific?
For example, I main Luigi and my layout is as follows:
Gamecube controller*
-Tap jump off
-A: attack
-B: special
-X: grab (so I can grab without using z, which means keeping my pointer finger on R)
-Y: jump (feels good like playstation 1 games)
-c: smash
-R: shield (I've never used L to shield)
-L: special (this helps mashing while in Luigi cyclone to gain more height, save that jump)
-dpad: attack (for mashing out of grabs, sacrifice the down taunt!)

Last edited:

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
I have tap jump off as imo jumping with the stick seems awkward, but my c-stick is set to tilts.

When the c-stick is set to Smash in this gane, you cannot move side-to-side if you flick the stick while doing aerials. I find that to be very important pro for tilt-sticking as you can do Bairs while moving forward.

officialsticktendo

Smash Rookie
NNID
sticktendo
I use a Classic Controller Pro primarily for Smash 4 right now (it's actually a Hori Battle Pad, so it's almost exactly like a GCC) and this is the best layout I've found that works for me:

Tap jump: Off
A: Attack
B: Special
X/Y: Jump
L/R: Shield
ZR: Grab
ZL (L if on a GCC): Jump
C-Stick: Attack

I started using L as jump in PM to help with my jump cancels and because I only use R for shield but sometimes having that extra shield button is useful. Using ZL as jump in conjunction with the tiltstick makes aerial approaches a bit easier (I play Villager so this is important). Also I just want to say how much I love having a full tiltstick in Smash 4 as opposed to PM where it only changed your FSmash with FTilt but your USmash and DSmash were still there.

Also one thing I've kinda wondered that's kind of on topic: why do people disable rumble on their control setups? Personally the tactile response helps me focus on the game.

Forgot to mention yesterday when I updated with the FAQ before I left to work ;_;7

What are some custom button maps you guys use that are more character-specific?
For example, I main Luigi and my layout is as follows:
Gamecube controller*
-Tap jump off
-A: attack
-B: special
-X: grab (so I can grab without using z, which means keeping my pointer finger on R)
-Y: jump (feels good like playstation 1 games)
-c: smash
-R: shield (I've never used L to shield)
-L: special (this helps mashing while in Luigi cyclone to gain more height, save that jump)
-dpad: attack (for mashing out of grabs, sacrifice the down taunt!)
I dunno about character-specific controls... none of the characters I play (I feel) need different mappings to facilitate their playstyles.

Can anyone else offer their input?

I have tap jump off as imo jumping with the stick seems awkward, but my c-stick is set to tilts.

When the c-stick is set to Smash in this gane, you cannot move side-to-side if you flick the stick while doing aerials. I find that to be very important pro for tilt-sticking as you can do Bairs while moving forward.
Noted!

I use a Classic Controller Pro primarily for Smash 4 right now (it's actually a Hori Battle Pad, so it's almost exactly like a GCC) and this is the best layout I've found that works for me:

Tap jump: Off
A: Attack
B: Special
X/Y: Jump
L/R: Shield
ZR: Grab
ZL (L if on a GCC): Jump
C-Stick: Attack

I started using L as jump in PM to help with my jump cancels and because I only use R for shield but sometimes having that extra shield button is useful. Using ZL as jump in conjunction with the tiltstick makes aerial approaches a bit easier (I play Villager so this is important). Also I just want to say how much I love having a full tiltstick in Smash 4 as opposed to PM where it only changed your FSmash with FTilt but your USmash and DSmash were still there.

Also one thing I've kinda wondered that's kind of on topic: why do people disable rumble on their control setups? Personally the tactile response helps me focus on the game.
Totally forgot about that. Shoulder buttons being set to jump isn't too uncommon. Gonna add that!

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Some Luigi mains have been switching the entire dpad to special to help get a rise out of cyclone. I haven't tried it yet personally but apparently it works well. Jumpless rising cyclone is pretty important for high level Luigi play, so it could be worth a mention that Luigi mains might want extra buttons for special like @ AM Helix AM Helix uses, otherwise you need superhuman button mashing skills.

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
Does anyone know of a way to make the shoulder buttons work like they did in Brawl with springs removed? I have Jump on L but from what I've seen the button has to go all the way back up (instead of just click and unclick the digital button) before it lets you hit it a second time.

I can't short hop with L anymore, which is seriously messing me up >.>

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Put your springs back in and you only have to light press (1 quarter?) to register inputs. AFAIK removing your springs is just bad in this game.

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
Put your springs back in and you only have to light press (1 quarter?) to register inputs. AFAIK removing your springs is just bad in this game.
That's what I've been trying to do (tried adding springs to make it harder to push all the way down + faster to pop up, even) but I can't do it reliably for some reason.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep labbing until I can, or I get used to Z jump...

AM Helix

Smash Rookie
Some Luigi mains have been switching the entire dpad to special to help get a rise out of cyclone. I haven't tried it yet personally but apparently it works well. Jumpless rising cyclone is pretty important for high level Luigi play, so it could be worth a mention that Luigi mains might want extra buttons for special like @ AM Helix AM Helix uses, otherwise you need superhuman button mashing skills.
I've heard of that but I don't think you could move horizontally while in cyclone: How could you move left/right with the control stick if you're mashing the dpad at the same time? I use dpad for attack instead, to mash out of jumps. I believe mashing only the a button gets you out of grabs? Is that correct?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I've heard of that but I don't think you could move horizontally while in cyclone: How could you move left/right with the control stick if you're mashing the dpad at the same time? I use dpad for attack instead, to mash out of jumps. I believe mashing only the a button gets you out of grabs? Is that correct?
In this game, any input counts as mashing, and only 1 input can be registered per frame. Because of this, you can mash effectively just by spinning the control stick.

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
In this game, any input counts as mashing, and only 1 input can be registered per frame. Because of this, you can mash effectively just by spinning the control stick.
Woah hold up, really? How'd you test/confirm this?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Woah hold up, really? How'd you test/confirm this?
It's a rumour going around but I just tested it myself in 1/4 speed training mode: the fastest way to mash out of a grab is to input a single action on every frame. Tap jump off, spinning control stick worked just as well as alternating between mashing combos of jump, grab, shield and attack, so it's personal preference as to what you do.

Incidentally, mashing with the C stick alone seems less effective in this game. Don't tell the Brawl pros, I need my grab combos.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Thank you so so much @ Pazx Pazx for mentioning the mashing mechanic. I use Wiichuk with Shake smash and I was playing friendlies with a Kirby who suicided me. I couldn't mash out super fast like I could in Brawl/PM with the extra inputs my controller offers.

Also, to the one who asked about why people turn rumble off, here is my reason. Rumble messes with shake smash horribly, at least it did in Brawl. Shake smash would register a smash just because the Wiimote vibrated hard. Hence why I shut it off.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I use this control scheme for the Pro Controller (Tap Jump and Rumble Off)

ButtonAction
(A)Standard Attack
(B)Special Attack
[X]Jump or Grab (depends)
[Y]Jump
(L]Grab
[R)Grab
(ZL]Jump
[ZR)Shield
(o)Movement
(c)Attack
+Shield

ZL makes for a great jump button and is why I switched from GCC to Pro. Its Digital, easy to access, I can use my left hand to jump which makes adjusting from Tap Jump On easier, short hops are intuitive, and it helps for Wavetossing as Diddy. CStick attacks because air momentum, and to make nairs easier to perform, though I'm having a much harder time nairing on a pro controller than a Gamecube controller. Hey, at least I'm not nairing by accident anymore. Though now I'm having (strangely) a harder time using smash attacks than on the GCC. I input a smash attack and sometimes it reads as a tilt for some reason. TJ off for short hops and utilts, rumble off because reasons. I honestly never use the X button so IDK what to do with it.

Latency is a **** tho, its something I'm always worried about. ANY way to make the Pro controller wired would be a godsend.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I had an extreme experience with interference last weekend. I brought my wii u pro controller to an anime convention as I was planning to be in a tournament. The tourney filled up fast, so I didn't get in, but I still did friendlies. The Smash set ups were all in a very large gaming room, which had hundreds of game systems (not including the hundreds of 3ds's in everyone's pockets).

Here's what happened when I tried to short hop: Small delay, then a full hop AND a second jump. Either that or the input would not be read at all. It was that bad. If you're planning on playing at a very large event like this, bring a gamecube controller just in case you'll need it.

EDIT: may have been caused by the Wii U itself, not interference

-

Anyways, the wii u pro controller analog stick is really not awkward. It's very easy to get your thumb to it. The only reason it might be seen as awkward is if you are used to the gamecube's position. So, it's not bad, just different (I could say the gamecube's c-stick is awkward).

-

Something I've read about the gamecube controller is the design of the shoulder buttons leads to slower inputs (and stopping inputs). So, if it is set to shield, then shielding and un-shielding would be slower. I haven't seen any evidence for this, though. Has there been looking into this?

-

For the 3ds, the new 3ds does have a right analog stick. That should be noted in the op (although, I haven't heard input on how it works for smash).

-

So what I gather from this:

"Reasons to use this controller:
-Very ergonomic and comfortable
-Intuitive button layout
-Chances are this is the controller you have the most experience with"

What this suggests is the gamecube controller is more comfortable/ergonomic than the wii u pro, and that the wii u pro does not have an intuitive button layout. Again, this seems like just a matter of getting used to something that is different rather than a case of something being better than another.

Last edited:

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
Hello, a quick entry for a problem I have had regarding the Wiiu gamepad. I swapped from the pro controller a while back, and noticed that on the gamepad, when I flick the stick to do a dash into pivot grab, it dashes into pivot into another pivot into grab.

For example, If I wanted to execute dash right > pivot left > grab, instead it would execute dash right > pivot left > pivot right > grab. This only happens when I flick the stick right to pivot grab immediately out of dash. It looks really cool honestly, but it messes up the grab. A similar thing happens when I flick the stick to do a perfect pivot. Normally the character would dash one way then turn slowly the other. Instead, if i were to dash right, I would slowly turn left then slowly turn right before the slide of the perfect pivot finished. If this means my gamepad is broken then oh god. If this is happening to everyone, I guess it means the pro controller is better :3
Im pretty sure this problem occurs because when you release from the edge of the stick and it flicks back to neutral, it slightly overcompensates and may go over the neutral position and into the opposite input, which could explain this. So, for all of you gamecube master race advocates this can serve as some sort of substantiation.

Just a tiny find I made.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Never had this issue and I had to use the Gamepad for 4 months.

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
Never had this issue and I had to use the Gamepad for 4 months.
Could you tell me how vigorously you use the stick? Are you constantly dashdancing and slamming the stick against the edge or do you apply it with more control? Just wondering if its my abuse that caused it to behave like this.

Morbi

Scavenger
It happens to me whenever I use the Gamepad as well. I actually preferred the Gamepad over other controllers, but this weird problem made me switch back to my Classic Pro Controller.

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
Hooray, a reason to switch back to the pro controller.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Could you tell me how vigorously you use the stick? Are you constantly dashdancing and slamming the stick against the edge or do you apply it with more control? Just wondering if its my abuse that caused it to behave like this.
I actually dash dance for about a minute straight in order to warm up when I used to use it. I still do this with the GC controller now.
Iow, yes. I used to slam the stick pretty hard because I was used to having to put strength into the GC.

The Groose

Smash Rookie
The Groose has set both his Pro controller and 3DS controls to have grab on the Y button, since it is easier to access then the awkward left bumper. Since the controls are the same, The Groose has an easier time switching between controllers.

GeneralBrwni

Smash Cadet
I've got my layout on GC controller (rumble and tap jump off) set to
A: attack
B: special
C: attack
L: shield
R: grab
Z: jump
X: jump
Y: grab
It took a bunch of trial and error to get to controls that I liked. At first I wanted to c-stick aerials, so I had to set z to jump. After that, I wanted to be able to nair using the c-stick (which was really hard to get used to and still occasionally leads to misinputs) and with the whole aerial momentum thing, it just made sense to set c to attack. Then I couldn't z-jump out of shield very well, so I switched L to shield and R to grab. Finally, I set y to grab because I wasn't ever jumping with it and sometimes I don't like using L.

Has it been mentioned yet that setting c to attack allows for jab and nair using the diagonals?

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Forgot to mention yesterday when I updated with the FAQ before I left to work ;_;7

I dunno about character-specific controls... none of the characters I play (I feel) need different mappings to facilitate their playstyles.

Yeah, some characters like having different layouts, examples being:
Luigi for nado mashing
Kirby likes C-stick attack since his utilt/dtilt are great and he has the best corner pivot slide (long slide and doesn't even need a corner)
Megaman likes a shoulder jump button for JCGlide Toss shenanigans
Zard likes it too for sliding rock smash.
Etc.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I always have :GCCN:=tilt for turning side tilts, and i find it eaisier to smash during a match then tilt. manual Dash upsmash isn't hard. I do wonder about those weird link bomb throws, cause link needs the smash c-stick for that.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
finally switched back to the Gamecube controller and using Y to jump, and all was well and good until I started having trouble executing Dthrow to Uair as Diddy. I used to do it by pressing Jump and then up on the c-stick, which is no longer feasible. So now I have to practice Hoo Hah again. Adjusting to new control schemes is a weird process

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
My set up is mostly default except for the X button which is Grab.

Does anyone know a work around so that my character doesn't use an attack when using Grab? I can't wrap my head around as to why when I try to pivot grab an f-tilt would come out.

The Grab and C-stick for aerials in this game are booty.. And it sucks considering that was what I did best.

Top Bottom