• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Control Setups

CeLL

Smash Lord
Some things that Mewtwo can do are harder or impossible to do with the default controls. What are some setups you guys use?

Personally I use R as jump with tap jump off.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I just use tap jump off for more accurate teleports. I experimented with L to jump for floating so I can c-stick with aerials easily a little while back, but I find that I can get by easily with the control stick for that, and I'm too used to using L for L-canceling.

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
I have two setus: One for Mewtwo and one for everyone else.

Both setups utilize L to jump and X to taunt (footstool). Only Mewtwo's got tap jump off.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I have two setus: One for Mewtwo and one for everyone else.

Both setups utilize L to jump and X to taunt (footstool). Only Mewtwo's got tap jump off.
I just use the default controls with everyone except Mewtwo, Pit, and Ike.

Do you find that footstooling is useful to your play? I've never found a use for it.

Last edited:

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
I have used footstool with moderate success, but not really while playing Mewtwo. It's just that I don't use X for jumping anyway, so I felt I might as well move it there, as I would never bother reaching out to the d-pad.

I guess it could be usable at times where you simply don't have time to Dair (say, you teleported right over the opponent), or if need to save your teammate.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I have used footstool with moderate success, but not really while playing Mewtwo. It's just that I don't use X for jumping anyway, so I felt I might as well move it there, as I would never bother reaching out to the d-pad.

I guess it could be usable at times where you simply don't have time to Dair (say, you teleported right over the opponent), or if need to save your teammate.
What characters have you had success with it with? I'm just really curious.

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
Wario (shoutouts to Reflexwonder), Snake and Jgglypuff are the ones that come to mind. I don't really play these characters on a regular basis, so the X could easily be used for something else. I would probably not use footstool heavily with any of the P:M characters in your signature, as they all have better options most of the time.

ComposedJam

Smash Cadet
I have X as shield for a second way to wave dash (and shield). It also makes wave dash out of shield much easier for me.
I have R as jump. I have found this makes float cancelling air attacks much, much easier.
And tap jump is off.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I have X as shield for a second way to wave dash (and shield). It also makes wave dash out of shield much easier for me.
I have R as jump. I have found this makes float cancelling air attacks much, much easier.
And tap jump is off.
With Mewtwo I just wavedash using R to jump and L to airdodge. Very easy and can be done out of shield no problem. And since his wavedash is significantly faster than his dash, I wavedash a lot, and it's pretty comfortable not having to move my thumb to do it like I do with Fox.

ComposedJam

Smash Cadet
I find it hard to wavedash using R and L I usually stick to the traditional method or I use X. wavedashing out of shield is pretty easy with the X button as well.

whatever floats your boat!

Last edited:

Sargeant Ghee

Smash Rookie
I use R for jump so that I can do c-stick aerials while hovering much more easily (since my thumb won't be all the way on the Y button for my jump). Its almost necessary for me to do hover cancels. It also makes it easier to do SHFFL'd attacks if I wanted to do one. Also, tap jump off. I hate tap jump.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I use X for taunt and R for attack. It allows for both easy c-dashing, the c-dash moonwalking, and X to taunt lets you do stupid footstool things.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I use X for taunt and R for attack. It allows for both easy c-dashing, the c-dash moonwalking, and X to taunt lets you do stupid footstool things.
I'm unfamiliar with c-dashing and c-dash moonwalking, or at least those names.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
I'm also rocking the R as jump and no tap jump setup (y as taunt for taunt cancelling and footstools, though i never really use them). You said wavedash OOS with R works best for you right? i need to get that learned, i see so many opportunities to wd oos and grab or something and i can't execute it haha

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'm unfamiliar with c-dashing and c-dash moonwalking, or at least those names.
Ill link you a video later, im on a phone right now. If you search PMdepot (a youtube channel) and look for a c dashing videk its really simple, it involves using the c stick to dash and turn around when holding attack.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Ima rip this post out of where I posted about tap jump and controller setup.

My current setup is

L -> Shield
R-> Attack (Dacus)
Z- Jump - use your right pointer finger (allows thumb to rest near C stick, B, or X for immediate use after jump) This is the most important part of the setup. The placement of jump on the shoulder of the controller allows use of jump with right pointer finger; and special, attack, grab, c-stick with your thumb. As jump is the most important button that will be pressed immediately before many other buttons, this is why it is placed on the shoulder of the controller.
Y--> Grab (jump cancel grab is inputting Z->Y)
X-> attack (the A button could just as easily be attack, this is a relic from a previous controller configuration, but it doesn't matter, the layout is optimized enough that there are spare buttons on the face… lol)
A--> I have this setup as taunt… why? Tauntcancells and footstools? not really, but you don't need all the buttons on the face of the G-cube controller. Feel free to change around the face buttons.
B-> Special (wavebouncing, b-reverse… all are very easy as the jump button (Z) can be pressed with your thumb hovering over B)
C-stick --> normal. Use this for aerials and smashes (for retreating fairs and approaching bairs)

Its essentially similar to what you've got, CeLL, but I'd HIGHLY recommend the switch from R to Z as jump. I believe strongly in having a shoulder button as jump, but I do not feel its as humanly possible to be consistent with a trigger. Do you have your springs removed? that would make it better, but still not Ideal. The Z button takes getting used to, but once you are used to it, theres no problem with it. Jump in combination with a thumb or finger that is prepositioned to input special, aerial, air dodge, etc is so crucial for this game. Im so surprised that many people do not change the default layout. (If you claw, thats perfectly understandable, just clawing can be uncomfortable and cause muscular issues for some).

CeLL

Smash Lord
Hey, Ima rip this post out of where I posted about tap jump and controller setup.

My current setup is

L -> Shield
R-> Attack (Dacus)
Z- Jump - use your right pointer finger (allows thumb to rest near C stick, B, or X for immediate use after jump) This is the most important part of the setup. The placement of jump on the shoulder of the controller allows use of jump with right pointer finger; and special, attack, grab, c-stick with your thumb. As jump is the most important button that will be pressed immediately before many other buttons, this is why it is placed on the shoulder of the controller.
Y--> Grab (jump cancel grab is inputting Z->Y)
X-> attack (the A button could just as easily be attack, this is a relic from a previous controller configuration, but it doesn't matter, the layout is optimized enough that there are spare buttons on the face… lol)
A--> I have this setup as taunt… why? Tauntcancells and footstools? not really, but you don't need all the buttons on the face of the G-cube controller. Feel free to change around the face buttons.
B-> Special (wavebouncing, b-reverse… all are very easy as the jump button (Z) can be pressed with your thumb hovering over B)
C-stick --> normal. Use this for aerials and smashes (for retreating fairs and approaching bairs)

Its essentially similar to what you've got, CeLL, but I'd HIGHLY recommend the switch from R to Z as jump. I believe strongly in having a shoulder button as jump, but I do not feel its as humanly possible to be consistent with a trigger. Do you have your springs removed? that would make it better, but still not Ideal. The Z button takes getting used to, but once you are used to it, theres no problem with it. Jump in combination with a thumb or finger that is prepositioned to input special, aerial, air dodge, etc is so crucial for this game. Im so surprised that many people do not change the default layout. (If you claw, thats perfectly understandable, just clawing can be uncomfortable and cause muscular issues for some).
I've actually tried Z before, but could never get used to it. I can use the trigger for jump just as well as X, probably for two reasons: I've had R set to jump since I knew you could change controls, and I use it for SHTL with Fox in Brawl (which is harder, at least for me, than SHDL in Melee. Melee, not PM). I don't have the springs removed, but the triggers don't click.

I also, get this, used to use Y to grab in Brawl. I stopped once I wanted to chain grab Marth with Falco, which you need to do buffered boost grabs to do.

Based Gob

Smash Rookie
I play with default controls. I've considered doing something like tap jump off but so far it seems like the control set up for mewtwo is more or less personal preference so I haven't changed anything yet.

Top Bottom