• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Content Creators You Don't Know - JoeK

joek.jpg

Welcome to another Content Creators You Don't Know. With me today is JoeK! He started his channel around when Ultimate released and currently has about 33,000 subscribers. You'll find all sorts of Smash related videos including tutorials, analysis, and gameplay!

Q: How long have you been playing Smash and when did you decide to start a YouTube channel?

A: I have been playing Smash for about as long as I can remember, as a young kid I would go to my Mom's friends house and play Melee with her son, that and Star Fox Assault. As for my YouTube channel I've been on and off with multiple channels for years. I decided to start my JoeK channel when Ultimate was just around the corner so I could get my ideas out and share my hype. It turned out to be a big hit at the time (at least compared to what I was expecting) and though it has slowed down through the months the ability to share good moments and hype for the game stays, and is the main reason I keep making videos.

Q: How would you describe the content that you create?

A: I would say that I focus on creating content that I love to make. I've gone from making Analysis videos to guides to game play highlight videos currently. I've found from my previous experience that making whatever you are excited to make in the morning is what you should make, even if it does sometimes slow down views or hurt your chances in the algorithm. I've loved what the Smash Community has done to help me so far and I hope that I can give back even a little with my weekly schedule!

Q: Who is your main and why?

A: I'm going to be honest here and say that while I've made many videos on picking a main, I am personally horrible at choosing just one. If you ask my friends they will tell you that while I may have a current main, Joe will probably swap within a few months. The reason for this is that I just love learning new things about a huge variety of characters, I love to see what every single one can do and when a new one with potential comes out I am usually all over that (I'll be the first to say that I tried maining almost all of the Smash 4 DLC except Bayo). Currently I have been playing Joker since release but with the announcement for Hero (A character from one of my favorite games ever) there is a pretty big chance the cycle will renew :p.

Q: What do you do outside of Smash and your channel?

A: Recently I've been getting into a good amount of things other than video games. Making videos as your job can sometimes make games feel like work so I've picked up some other recreational activities such as Basketball, Biking, and weightlifting. I don't do any of them competitively but casually with those near me. I've picked up reading to get back into the groove of College and gotten into a choir as well as its a great way to have an excuse to spend time and find new people. I also really like listening to educational podcasts for some reason and have really gotten into those while editing videos.

Q: What would you like the Smashboards community to know about you?

A: The last thing I'll let you know is that I love collecting Baseball caps. While my more recent videos have moved away from having my face in 'em you can see lots of examples in my earlier footage.

Q: Do you play in a lot of tournaments? What’s the best you’ve ever done at a tournament? And do you have any advice or recommended videos to watch for aspiring tournament players?

A: In Smash I haven't ever put in too much time into tournaments as I'm usually too busy to constantly go to them in person so the best I think I've done so far in Ultimate is top 8 in my region at an event. The time where I really got into tournaments was my League of Legends days and while those were all online I would say that for every game the best thing to do is to focus on your opponent midgame, see what they are doing, and try to find countermeasures to their strategies. This takes a while to get down and sometimes it will take maybe a months worth of sets to really learn your opponent but this is what I would say is the best way to improve yourself and your chances of beating anyone in a tourney.

Thank you to JoeK for answering my questions! You can find him over on YouTube here.

Last edited:
Jonathan “Qualk” Martin

Comments

I really like his top 5's they are great (especially the one like annoying characters online that was truth). Another amazing choice to qualk and the smashboard staff.

I know him! I saw a lot of his videos since Ultimate released, definitely a bit underappreciated.

Top Bottom