• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I love to stuff their approaches with Leaf Shield. Usually rush down characters have moves that Leaf Shield can interrupt while it spins around Mega, allowing for a grab!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Lemons also shut down rush down characters well. Use retreating lemons for spacing and await for them to make a mistake, opening themselves up for a grab! :)

I know you mentioned lemons earlier, but they really do help. I'll use lemons to anger them which causes them to go aggro. When that happens it becomes easier to land metal blades. And, as you know, metal blades help you get grabs!

Last edited:

Shinyman337

Smash Rookie
NNID
abcdefghiz
Hi, I'm ZSS and Falco player and I was hoping to get some tips for the Megaman match up. I'm constantly losing to a Megaman main at my local scene and I really want to beat him.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys. I need some tips when it comes to being offensive as Mega Man. You see, I'm a defensive player, meaning that I dodge and shield a lot while spacing my opponents, but recently, I feel like I'm not being offensive enough. When I do get my ass kicked online, it's likely out of me not being offensive enough and stalling the match for too long. Does anyone know some good ways to be more offensive? Yes, I do use Leaf Shield to keep rush down opponents from getting too close, but I need more than that if I want to be more offensive.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hey guys. I need some tips when it comes to being offensive as Mega Man. You see, I'm a defensive player, meaning that I dodge and shield a lot while spacing my opponents, but recently, I feel like I'm not being offensive enough. When I do get my *** kicked online, it's likely out of me not being offensive enough and stalling the match for too long. Does anyone know some good ways to be more offensive? Yes, I do use Leaf Shield to keep rush down opponents from getting too close, but I need more than that if I want to be more offensive.
Mega Man's a zoning character, so playing defensively with him isn't necessarily bad. It's more important to be unpredictable and change up your tactics constantly to keep your opponents off balance.

Mega Man has a huge toolkit and many of his attacks share a common trait: they're disruptive. Lemons, Leaf Shield, Crash Bomber, Rush Coil -- all of these moves do little to no damage but are great for interrupting an opponent's flow. Throwing out these attacks increases the potential that your opponent will screw up and commit to a move that he shouldn't have, and that's when you should strike with one of our high damage/KB, high commitment moves.

Mind games are hugely important for Mega Man, IMO and this is mind games 101. Condition your opponent to be on their guard against your low-risk-low-reward moves, like lemons and metal blade, then force mistakes and punish them with your high-risk-high-reward moves.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Am I the only one who prefers to use Dthrow for Uair Juggles at Mid-High % instead of Uthrow? I fnd that snce Dthrow doesn't knock my opponents as far away from me, I can jump right underneath themand hit them with Air Shooter/Uair more easily, or sometimes Danger Wrap if customs are on. I also like to delay the Uair to catch people who air dodge on reaction to send them skywards to their doom with it, and A LOT of people airdodge on reaction (myself included). Thanks to this, I barely seethe point of Uthrow and I pretty much never use it except if I have a Crash Bomber attached to the opponent, which can lead to funny kills on occasions.

Also, to cover Mega Man's weaknesses & shortcomings, who do you think might be the best secondary of these? :4greninja::4pacman::4pit:, & maybe :4lucas:. I have fun playing multiple characters and am pretty indecisive on who I like best or who synergizes well with the Blue Bomber. If it helps, I can go a little in-depth on what each character an & can't do and who I think they lose to to make it easier for you to answe

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So, i didn't had enough time to search for opponnents on the ladder today, so i decide to go give the flaming orb of hate that is FG another go, for some quick practice.

Besides a reasonably good ROB, the only thing of note to happen was that i managed to utilt a Falco out of his side B(sweetspot and KO too PURE. FREAKING. METAL). I also hit him out of it with a dsmash, but in that case it traded, while the utilt just beated his side B.

Watched it again and i am pretty sure i hit him midway trough the move, not on the ending.
Anyone know if this is actually practical or i just got lucky?

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
can someone tell me how to deal with mewtwo's roll, and run away game, and going to ledge and charging neutral b. stuff is mad annoying...and the fact that mewtwo's roll is far is annoying to punish.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone elaborate on best situations for dash attack vs d-tilt?

I tend to use dash attack when I want to pick up a metal blade, and for punishes when I'm not right next to opponent.

The d-tilt I mostly use for a spacing option that throws out a hit box. Often to try to catch or slide under a landing opponent.

I haven't given too much thought to these. I kind of just use what feels right at the time, but I probably could use them better.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
can someone tell me how to deal with mewtwo's roll, and run away game, and going to ledge and charging neutral b. stuff is mad annoying...and the fact that mewtwo's roll is far is annoying to punish.
Keep him within lemon range. Lots of ftilts. Follow his rolls and punish where you can. I wouldn't run after a hard punish like a grab too much. Just keep lemon spamming with occasional metal blade. Landing u-airs are great against him also.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
While I don't have any specific questions, I am looking for something related to Mega Man: What sort of character is he? I know that he benefits from being able to keep his distance, and definitely has the options to do that, yet has very powerful options once he gets in; To balance this out, though, a lot of his moves aren't safe if they're blocked?

I'm trying to write a summary for the match-up of Charizard versus Mega Man, and to start it off, I need a summary of general info about Mega Man to show some of his options against my giant cuddly lizard friend. I could make one of my own, but I feel like someone else could summarize their main much better than I could, especially in that situation.
http://smashboards.com/threads/charizard-matchup-discussion-megaman.408793/

This is the discussion thread for the match-up. If anyone wants to add options that Mega Man has, please do, since even if it hurts my character's chances of winning, it helps make the final product more accurate.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
http://smashboards.com/threads/super-fighting-robot-mega-man-base-moveset-guide-directory.368806/

Probably want to look at the red stuff.

Mega Man can space, but eventually we have to go in, and that's where he suffers a lot. His Smashes, Up-Tilt, D-Tilt, Dash, can all be easily punished on shield.

In Customs, I would think 1323 would be preferred. Danger Wrap gives us more spacing/kill options at an angle Zard normally beats. Probably not going to beat out Zard's recovery, so the extra offense of Tornado Hold would be nice. While Plant Barrier is automatically good against characters with large hitboxes.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Yep! It's a projectile!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I actually am more impressed that he can pocket Hard Knuckle.

I know that is also a projectle but dude, you just stole. my. hand!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
How practical is the Super Glide Toss? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj3kgaikN_s&feature=youtu.be

Like, in what situations would you want to set it up? From the looks of it and practicing it in Training, these inputs require you to be extremely fast with timing your inputs, lest you run to short of truncate your dash momentum, leaving for a huge punish window.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Honestly, i see it as useful to chase opponents when you normally couldn't and get some surprise punishments. As long as you don't get predictable with it, it might net you a kill or 2. Nothing outstanding, really.

Like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMwqkGxDRhU&index=1&list=FL_aAyuFoL48F2NJUDiGNzQQ

He managed to close in and get a dair for a kill by using it.

But the forward throw that combos into anything, definetly more usefull, but considering how hard it is to do it, let alone do it consistenly...

Saltix

Smash Lord
Starting to incorporate Z drop MB --> footstool---> Follow up into my gameplay. Has anybody had success with this in tourney play?

D

Deleted member

How practical is the Super Glide Toss? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj3kgaikN_s&feature=youtu.be

Like, in what situations would you want to set it up? From the looks of it and practicing it in Training, these inputs require you to be extremely fast with timing your inputs, lest you run to short of truncate your dash momentum, leaving for a huge punish window.
Apologies for the weird and random cut (thanks Elgato) but I used it to land a sweet follow up kill here:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Any of the top mega players willing to tutor me some? I've followed all the threads, practiced a bunch, and tried to contribute to the forums wherever I can.

I've hit a pretty big wall where I just can't seem to improve anymore. My local scene is great, and I've found some guidance there, but none of them play mega man, so they can only help so much.

I'm starting to feel like I might need to switch mains to stay more competitive, but I really don't want to.

Please add me if you might help!

NNID: peels-network-id

@ ChopperDave ChopperDave , @ Locke 06 Locke 06 , @Z1GMA, @SSGuy, @ ENKER ENKER , @Azazel, @ Opana Opana , @NinjaLink, @Zucco, @BBC7, @StylesX2, @PK_Man, @ idothedew idothedew , @Peabnut Bubber, @ ScAtt77 ScAtt77 (sorry if I left off anyone, no offense meant)

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I am honored to be on this list.

My NNID is megamanx1367. If you ever see me on, throw me a PM and we can chat while we play.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Hate to say it but I don't use MM at all anymore, Ganondorf main here lol.

I appreciate the mention though; every once in awhile I play Scatt so maybe I can ask him for you.

D

Deleted member

Hate to say it but I don't use MM at all anymore, Ganondorf main here lol.

I appreciate the mention though; every once in awhile I play Scatt so maybe I can ask him for you.
Why'd you quit, if I may ask?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I don't feel like I can be as aggressive as I'd like; I actually planned on maining Shulk lol. I think I was getting bodied way back in October by some people when I decided to try Ganondorf again, with no training, and just did amazingly. I did much better than in Brawl tbh, I didn't really know what exactly it was but I knew I couldn't push him to secondary status after that. I don't use anyone but Ganondorf now but I go through these phases where I mess with characters competitively, currently with Charizard I do intend to get a viable pocket Sheik but only time will tell if I'll stick to that lol.

I love Mega Man and his series and am glad I could have contributed nut I don't really think he's a good fit for me. I'm open to trying him again though, I think with enough time anyone can work for any player honestly, just gotta get in that mood.

idothedew

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7503-8347
Any of the top mega players willing to tutor me some? I've followed all the threads, practiced a bunch, and tried to contribute to the forums wherever I can.

I've hit a pretty big wall where I just can't seem to improve anymore. My local scene is great, and I've found some guidance there, but none of them play mega man, so they can only help so much.

I'm starting to feel like I might need to switch mains to stay more competitive, but I really don't want to.

Please add me if you might help!

NNID: peels-network-id

@ ChopperDave ChopperDave , @ Locke 06 Locke 06 , @Z1GMA, @SSGuy, @ ENKER ENKER , @Azazel, @ Opana Opana , @NinjaLink, @Zucco, @BBC7, @StylesX2, @PK_Man, @ idothedew idothedew , @Peabnut Bubber, @ ScAtt77 ScAtt77 (sorry if I left off anyone, no offense meant)
wow, thanks. I think I'm far from the best, but I'm willing to play against you. The only problem is that since I'm living abroad, I can only use the 3ds version. The only advice that I can give is to find someone who is close to your level of play. They will force you to play outside of your routine play style. I'm surely guilty of it on For Glory. I fall into a routine move set that works against 90% of the players on For Glory, but every once in a while I come across someone who can adapt. I'll often win the first match and then lose the second one. It's a bad habit of mine that I need to break.

Celeverr

Smash Rookie
I've just picked up Mega Man after being a Villager main since p much the game's release and I think that he actually suits my playstyle really well, but I have to ask what the use of the down special is. Most of my local tournament don't allow customs so I'm stuck with the standard version, and thus far it's been completely useless.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I've just picked up Mega Man after being a Villager main since p much the game's release and I think that he actually suits my playstyle really well, but I have to ask what the use of the down special is. Most of my local tournament don't allow customs so I'm stuck with the standard version, and thus far it's been completely useless.
I use it a lot. Here's a few examples of where it can be useful:
  • Breaking through neutral. If you get stuck in footsies, Leaf Shield can be a good mixup out of a short hop. If you dash in, your opponent has to guess whether you'll go for a grab, a Leaf Shield toss, or simply dancing around with shield rolls.
  • Getting out of disadvantage. B reversing or wave bouncing a Leaf Shield activation often trips people up, and when they whiff you can use Mega Man's excellent aerial movement to maneuver into them and hit them with a leaf before they can follow up. I've screwed up countless landing traps by doing this.
  • Nullifying Rush Coil's landing lag. With good timing, you can use Leaf Shield after Rush Coil to land almost laglessly. Combined with the bullet above, this makes Leaf Shield very useful when recovering high.
  • Edgeguarding and kill setups. Leaf Shield is a big, hard to avoid hitbox which pops people up and creates followup opportunities.
  • Leafstooling. Leaf Shield makes it much easier to footstool someone because the leaves will hitstun them as you footstool. This can be used for gimping recoveries, or setting up jab lock combos.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
You don't just Glide toss a Metal Blade backwards like that. I mean, it even stops you from making UTilts shenanigans... I would get downward toss since it's faster, but forward toss gives you more combo opportunities (free followups imao).
...I still can't do that tech at all tho :ohwell:

FSK

Smash Ace
You don't just Glide toss a Metal Blade backwards like that. I mean, it even stops you from making UTilts shenanigans... I would get downward toss since it's faster, but forward toss gives you more combo opportunities (free followups imao).
...I still can't do that tech at all tho :ohwell:
Those three in the vid are all DITCIT, megaman doesn't have a DITCIT downwards as far as I know.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Are there any megamans that actively uses all 3 slides?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roKU58aA8s
I can do the "default" up-throw DITCIT consistently and the forward toss only semi-consistently (the short slide, however) and have yet to pull off the reverse Sawslide toss but I'm going to LAB HARD until I do ;D

EDIT: This just in. I've managed to do a reverse toss but it wasn't the full glide. It was the middle distance of the three (short, middle, longest)

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Anyone know if sticking a crash Bomb to a person in shield break stun knocks them out of the stun?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
So crash Bomb to utlit probably the best sheiks break punish? At low percents because at high percent just charged Dsmash works best for a KO.

I'm wondering if it would transfer the bomb to you though. Maybe charge Dsmash after crash bomb hits then wait to strike as crash bomb just goes back on the opponent?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
^ No, not necessarily. The best punish would be the Metal blade Infinite -> kill move since you can footstool characters out of a shield break.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
^ No, not necessarily. The best punish would be the Metal blade Infinite -> kill move since you can footstool characters out of a shield break.
Yeah, but the infinite is easy to mess up, plus MB dissapears at random.

Wouldn't the best thing at low percents be Crash bomb> usmash> shield cancel the CB> usmash again or an aerial ?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What stages does Mega Man not excel at? I may be at a tournament where Lylat Cruise, Smashville, and Final Destination are the neutrals, while Battlefield is a counterpick.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Lylat is difficult for Mega. The tilting stage often eats his straight firing projectiles. However, if you're comfortable with it, the stage could be picked as a good counter against other projectile characters! I once picked it as a counter to a great Yoshi on the ladder and I was able to beat him!!

Top Bottom