No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
- Mar 15, 2018
- New York
"Well, here I am! Conker the King... king of all the land!"
Conker is a character owned by Rare (and by extension, Microsoft). Although if any Rare character is getting into Smash, it's most likely Banjo Kazooie, that isn't stopping me from supporting this character. Conker games are mostly platformers, and his most famous one, Conker's Bad Fur Day, is critically acclaimed, arguably one of the most popular games on the Nintendo 64. As of September 2018, here is a list of games Conker has been in:
1. Diddy Kong Racing (N64, 1997)
2. Conker's Pocket Tales (GBA, 1999)
3. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64, 2001)
4. Conker: Live & Reloaded (Xbox, 2005)
5. Conker's Big Reunion (Xbox, 2015)
6. Young Conker (Microsoft Hololens, 2016)
Conkers has also been planned to be in a handful of cancelled games:
1. Twelve Tales: Conker 64 (reworked into Bad Fur Day, N64)
2. Conker's Other Bad Day (N64)
3. The Fast and the Furriest (Xbox)
Who is Conker?
Conker is a red alcoholic squirrel. He was raised by his parents to never touch alcohol, and was often seen as a polite individual (this can be seen in games like Diddy Kong Racing). But at some point down the road, for unknown reasons, Conker became a heavy drinker which morphed him into a more violent and greedy squirrel (this is actually because Rare received criticism for having another cute and cuddly mascot like Banjo). Conker is often a violent fighter and does not hesitate when in combat with enemies.
Conker's Chances in Smash
Reasons for Conker to be included:
1. Microsoft's Stance on Lending Characters for Smash - Phil Spencer (the head of Xbox) has already stated on two occasions that Microsoft would allow Nintendo to include Banjo and Kazooie in Smash. What's another Rare character to Xbox? Nothing but profit on their end.
2. Conker's History with Nintendo - With Cloud's introduction into Smash, it appears that it doesn't matter if a character has a history with Nintendo or not. So I can't really argue that Conker more of a chance than Master Chief because he has a big history with Nintendo. However, Conker has a special history with Nintendo. Not only was he included in Diddy Kong Racing (starring a very popular DK mascot), but Conker's Bad Fur Day is a cult classic. After Rare was bought by Microsoft, many Nintendo fans were disappointed to see the cancellation of games like Conker's Other Bad Day. The point is, Conker is popular and has definitely integrated himself into Nintendo history, making his inclusion more special than other third party characters.
3. Conker's Moveset Potential - Conker has a wide variety of weapons and techniques to use in battle. He has his famous akimbo-style sub machine guns, his shotgun, his frying pan, and even a katana. Not only that, but Conker also has a technique where he can hover by spinning his tail which can be used as his recover or perhaps a second jump. Conker's final smash could be the mech suit he uses in the final fight of Bad Fur Day.
Reasons for Conker to not be included:
1. Banjo Takes Priority - I won't hesitate to admit that Banjo has a far more likely chance of appearing in Smash than Conker. However, I believe Conker would be a perfect DLC fighter and I don't see it being too much of a problem if Rare's most iconic IPs are introduced into Smash.
2. Conker is a rated M alcoholic! - Yes, but there are rated M characters in Smash right now. Snake (who uses guns, grenades, bombs) as well as Bayonetta (who also uses weaponry on top of her sexualized themes) are both in Smash. It'd be completely understandable if Nintendo omitted any references to alcohol, but Conker using his signature weapons shoudln't be a problem.
I was going to put another reason but I can't think of any at the moment...
List of Supporters
If you would like to support Conker, please state it in a reply and I will gladly add you to the support list!
Don't let Banjo's popularity worry you! With enough support, we can have both Banjo and Conker reuniting with their old Nintendo friends! Remember, please be civil and respectful to others when discussing below. Thank you!