• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattX20

Smash Hero
Now all we do is keep our eyes on NOA's twitter for the rest of the day to see a potential drop

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
nintendo of america is now active again
That's a lotta time to wait for a Tom Nook retweet.
Still, social media is dicier than ever these days so I guess they had to play it safe.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
noa has now straight up tweeted instead of just retweeting so they're fully back in business

now we wait and see

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Gonna be honest I expect the ARMS character to drop on June 30th. Since 90% of the time Nintendo likes to make major releases at the very end of the month or at the very last possible moment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Huzzah! Now we wait for inevitable disappointment!
Literally everyone has been guessed at this point. The only way to be disappointed is if they did a bait and switch with Paper Mario.

Gonna be honest I expect the ARMS character to drop on June 30th. Since 90% of the time Nintendo likes to make major releases at the very end of the month or at the very last possible moment.
Probably. The last fighter we had was announced and revealed on the 16th, and released right near the end of the month. Could happen, but I don't know if it would happen twice like that.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I don't really understand the idea that Coyle's floating is a point against her inclusion in Smash. If I recall correctly, Dark Samus floated freely in a very similar manner to Coyle and they still added her. Sure, Dark Samus was an echo of Samus, so they couldn't exactly add some weird floating mechanic, but it's a good example of a character who lost her ability to actually float when they were ported to Smash, and still felt natural enough. I don't think anyone's expecting Coyle to actually have her exact floating mechanic from Smash. She'd just float a tiny bit off the ground like Dark Samus, and her jumps would probably be pretty floaty.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't really understand the idea that Coyle's floating is a point against her inclusion in Smash. If I recall correctly, Dark Samus floated freely in a very similar manner to Coyle and they still added her. Sure, Dark Samus was an echo of Samus, so they couldn't exactly add some weird floating mechanic, but it's a good example of a character who lost her ability to actually float when they were ported to Smash, and still felt natural enough. I don't think anyone's expecting Coyle to actually have her exact floating mechanic from Smash. She'd just float a tiny bit off the ground like Dark Samus, and her jumps would probably be pretty floaty.
Coil floating isn't a point against her, just against her being a costume.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I personally feel like her gameplay style is too unorthodox to be a first ARMS character, with the floating and third arm ans stuff like that.

And Coyle's floating actually adds a huge difference, since it makes her the only character who trades air dashes for an air shield.

It could still be her, but I feel an ARMS character can be unique in Smash without needing Coyle's gimmicks, and that should be the focus.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Right, but when selecting a representative for a game out of 15 possible choices, I’d personally pick a character whose gimmicks can be replicated in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The fact we're getting a showcase for Sword and Shield tomorrow suggests potentially otherwise
Said SwSh showcase was seemingly moved to Saturday

has there been presentations on weekends?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Isn’t Game Freak in charge of releases? Doubt they’d coordinate with Sakurai lest two good things release in the span of seven days.

EDIT: I think Roy/Ryu reveal was on a Sunday

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I personally feel like her gameplay style is too unorthodox to be a first ARMS character, with the floating and third arm ans stuff like that.

And Coyle's floating actually adds a huge difference, since it makes her the only character who trades air dashes for an air shield.

It could still be her, but I feel an ARMS character can be unique in Smash without needing Coyle's gimmicks, and that should be the focus.
What I say will be biased, but from my external point of view of someone who hasn't played Arms, the extra arm is a nice way to convey the charge mechanic (same goes for Min-Min's dragon arm or even Max Brass' buff) and the floatiness seems in line with the game physic from what I have seen. Now there's probably things I miss, such as the air dashes as you mention. But this is the kind of movement that I don't really see in Smash, I hardly see this not only as a dedicated move (unless it's part of a normal move), but it's also something that I don't see either for a ranged character in Smash.

Edit: about the floatiness, I envision Coyle simply like Dark Samus and without specific float mechanics.

Last edited:
Three Houses was July 26th
Hero was July 30th

Just using Google is enough to tell you they were every close.
The 26th was a Friday, the 30th was the following Tuesday. Using a calendar will tell you that they didn’t happen on the same week. Three Houses had the entire week to be in the spotlight by itself

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The 26th was a Friday, the 30th was the following Tuesday. Using a calendar will tell you that they didn’t happen on the same week. Three Houses had the entire week to be in the spotlight by itself
It's still four days apart.

Calendar or not, 4 days is less than a week. Using the same calendar you brought up and counting the days by yourself can tell you that.

Last edited:
yeah cause human conciousness resets itself to factory settings every sunday at midnight
That’s not the point, the point is there wasn’t some other piece of news taking away from Three Houses’ spotlight leading up to its release. Not rocket science

It's still four days apart.

Calendar or not, 4 days is less than a week. Using the same calendar you brought up and counting the days by yourself can tell you that.
You specifically said they came out the same week, now you’re changing it to “within a week of each other lol.” Maybe clarify your info before acting like a smartass to people who fact check your incorrect claims. As I said to the other user, the point is there wasn’t some other piece of news taking away from Three Houses’ spotlight leading up to its release

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You specifically said they came out the same week, now you’re changing it to “within a week of each other lol.” Maybe clarify your info before acting like a smartass to people who fact check your incorrect claims
How about Pokemon Omega Ruby/Sapphire and Smash Wii U coming out the exact same day then? Is that good enough?

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649

Not sure what you mean with the 'air shield' thing. I'm saying that functionally, Coyle would play exactly like a non-floating character. The floating would just be an aesthetic thing, like with Dark Samus.

I see what you mean with not wanting to detract from the punching, but honestly, Coyle's gimmicks are relatively unobtrusive. As mentioned, the floating would be a purely aesthetic thing, not actually affecting gameplay. The third arm just gives her another arm to punch with, so it doesn't detract from the punching at all, and it could just come out during certain attacks. I agree that turning invisible could be a bit much, but it's not like her entire moveset revolves around being invisible. It could just be a cool thing for when she shields.

Honestly, you could really make the argument for any character that their gimmick detracts from the gameplay. "Ribbon Girl's multi jump puts too much focus on her being an air fighter!" "Spring Man having super long range, a deflect, and a rage mechanic is too gimmicky!" "Max Brass's ability to change his size takes focus away from the ARMS gameplay!" They aren't necessarily good arguments, but the point is that every character in ARMS has gimmicks, many of which would likely affect the gameplay more than Coyle's.

I understand what you mean, as Coyle is definitely one of the more gimmicky characters in ARMS, but when porting the ARMS fighters to Smash, her gimmicks really don't stand out that much. If they wanted, they could really emphasize her gimmicks, or if they wanted, they could tone down the gimmicks and put the focus primarily on her punching.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Not sure what you mean with the 'air shield' thing. I'm saying that functionally, Coyle would play exactly like a non-floating character. The floating would just be an aesthetic thing, like with Dark Samus.

I see what you mean with not wanting to detract from the punching, but honestly, Coyle's gimmicks are relatively unobtrusive. As mentioned, the floating would be a purely aesthetic thing, not actually affecting gameplay. The third arm just gives her another arm to punch with, so it doesn't detract from the punching at all, and it could just come out during certain attacks. I agree that turning invisible could be a bit much, but it's not like her entire moveset revolves around being invisible. It could just be a cool thing for when she shields.

Honestly, you could really make the argument for any character that their gimmick detracts from the gameplay. "Ribbon Girl's multi jump puts too much focus on her being an air fighter!" "Spring Man having super long range, a deflect, and a rage mechanic is too gimmicky!" "Max Brass's ability to change his size takes focus away from the ARMS gameplay!" They aren't necessarily good arguments, but the point is that every character in ARMS has gimmicks, many of which would likely affect the gameplay more than Coyle's.

I understand what you mean, as Coyle is definitely one of the more gimmicky characters in ARMS, but when porting the ARMS fighters to Smash, her gimmicks really don't stand out that much. If they wanted, they could really emphasize her gimmicks, or if they wanted, they could tone down the gimmicks and put the focus primarily on her punching.
Ribbon Girl having that amount of movement actually reflects ARMS as a whole, where all fighters have air dashes to quickly change direction. Putting Ribbon Girl’s multiple jumps in Smash would also be perfectly possible in Smash. Heck, porting her from how she plays in ARMS is in exact accordance to the Smash rules, even moreso if she is indeed more of an air fighter and thus can use an air dash.

Spring Man’s gimmicks aside from long range could also work together to enhance the mechanics already present in ARMS and help him translate to Smash because of that: The deflect wouldn’t be a “gimmick” but can simply be a special move that allows him to deal with counter-zoning, actively rounding out his playstyle AND serving as an extra facet of his playstyle in ARMS.

Coyle’s permanent levitation (and thus her lack of jumps, being replaced with a flight system) would not work as a gimmick in Smash. That‘s fine, she has plenty of other gimmicks and can wonderfully represent ARMS by having a personal skill that ties into both charging ARMS and the long range punching by having a third ARM occasionally. However, if you want to make a fighter feel like they are in ARMS, I’d rather pick a character whose gimmicks already comply with Smash’s rules and can thus be faithfully ported. I don’t think floating deconfirms her and I think she’s the sixth most likely fighter and probably the funnest one, but her floating is something that she has to lose in the transition to Smash, sadly.

How about Pokemon Omega Ruby/Sapphire and Smash Wii U coming out the exact same day then? Is that good enough?
I’ll give you that one. Although those were very different circumstances. Smash 4 wasn’t technically new due to the 3DS version, and Pokémon was on the 3DS as opposed to the Wii U. Very different circumstances

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I’ll give you that one. Although those were very different circumstances. Smash 4 wasn’t technically new due to the 3DS version, and Pokémon was on the 3DS as opposed to the Wii U. Very different circumstances
They're still two games coming out on the same day. And ORAS was both cheaper and on a more successful console.

Yes, what I brought was a different cirsumstance. but a circumstance that was actually really hurting Smash because it was on a dying console.

Now, these are two Switch games, and their respective DLC was pre-purchaseable for months by now, so they're on more equal grounds.

And it's not the only example either.

Springtron's addition in ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were only one day apart, and unlike my other example, they were in the same week if you look at a calendar :p

Nintendo does whatever the hell Nintendo wants. If they want to release Pokemon DLC and the ARMS character in the same week, they'll just do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom