• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
When Street Fighter III only kept Ryu and Ken
You made Chun-Li and Akuma sad

Consider also something like Splatoon 2 where they completely removed all specials from the first game and instead opted for new ones. Nintendo is an innovation company that will not be afraid of tossing away the old for the sake of the new if they feel it will be more fun.
Being fair, a lot of the specials in Splatoon either had an amount of invincibility that was way too generous (Kraken, Bubbler), simply couldn't work as well without a dual screen layout (Inkstrike) or were Echolocator :p

And a LOT of the specials in 2 clearly have some inspiration from the first game;
  • Baller puts the player in a bubble, like the Bubbler
  • Ink Armor takes the overall concept of the Bubbler and turns it into armor rather than outright invincibility
  • Splashdown is basically a close-range version of Inkstrike
  • Inkjet is the Inkzooka with a jetpack
  • Sting Ray has the same gimmick of going through walls as the Killer Wail
  • Bomb Launcher is literally Bomb Rush
So it's more like game balance here.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder if i should get the arms character straight away or wait and see if its worth getting the full pass? what are the rest of you doing?

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
i wonder if i should get the arms character straight away or wait and see if its worth getting the full pass? what are the rest of you doing?
I bought the full pass before the ARMs rep was even announced, I enjoyed every character in the last pass (plus Plant, he's great) and i just enjoy having every character

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm planning to buy the pass, not only because my switch is used in competitive environement and require every characters, but also simply because I'm a huge fan of Smash. It's fun to try new characters, have more fighters available for more fun with friends and all. Plus, even if I don't play often a DLC character, there's always a stage and music. I don't play Terry a lot but I sure love the KoF arena and Psycho Soldier.

Have you bought the first fighter pass or every fighters individually? Did you enjoy every fighters and stages? I'd say the most important thing is to know if you are willing to buy every fighters. In that case, the pass is interesting as you save a bit of money. There's basically a "free" character in the pass.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm planning to buy the pass, not only because my switch is used in competitive environement and require every characters, but also simply because I'm a huge fan of Smash. It's fun to try new characters, have more fighters available for more fun with friends and all. Plus, even if I don't play often a DLC character, there's always a stage and music. I don't play Terry a lot but I sure love the KoF arena and Psycho Soldier.

Have you bought the first fighter pass or every fighters individually? Did you enjoy every fighters and stages? I'd say the most important thing is to know if you are willing to buy every fighters. In that case, the pass is interesting as you save a bit of money. There's basically a "free" character in the pass.
I bought the first Pass and the second Pass for the sake of obtaining the whole roster. Banjo & Kazooie's pack is the only one that made me thrilled as hell while Terry's pack was pretty cool with all the SNK music and Terry himself. Joker, Hero, and Byleth's packs didn't impress me that much aside from Joker's stage.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In my eternal quest for a Switch, I only have access to the FP1 card at Wal-Mart right now. I'll have to check if the EB Games I go to has had its stock left intact, since the mall that it's in recently reopened and I doubt that its Switch stock cleared out too badly.

Haven't bought the card yet, since I wouldn't want to lose the bill with the code that's on it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In my eternal quest for a Switch, I only have access to the FP1 card at Wal-Mart right now. I'll have to check if the EB Games I go to has had its stock left intact, since the mall that it's in recently reopened and I doubt that its Switch stock cleared out too badly.

Haven't bought the card yet, since I wouldn't want to lose the bill with the code that's on it.
Have you ever try attempting to buy a Switch online like on Amazon or somewhere else? I mean I don't blame you if you're not ready to get it as I believe we are not in the console's heyday yet.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Just buying the ARMS character. Have no interest in having a "complete" roster as Im not that much of a competitive player and like I stated earlier. Im kinda burnt out on Ultimate. Tired of the crappy laggy barebones online, WoL was complete dog crap so I have no single player content to play, Waited 17 years for K.Rool to be added to Smash only for him to be bottom tier and a pain to play.

I bought Banjo, Byleth, and now the ARMS character. Play them for about a month and then put Smash down until the next character I give a damn about comes along. I own like 130 games on my Switch. I dont want to or feel the need to put more time in to Smash when their are other things for me to play.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Have you ever try attempting to buy a Switch online like on Amazon or somewhere else? I mean I don't blame you if you're not ready to get it as I believe we are not in the console's heyday yet.
I don't trust credit cards, but I do use intermediaries. I'd only use this as a last resort though, since the consoles I get online are usually older ones, so no I didn't try.

It's more because of money issue than anything else, since I've been spending my time gathering up a physical Switch library in the meantime, as well as focusing on PS4 stuff.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've already bought the second pass. With two or three exceptions, I was a huge fan of the DLC choices when they first came out, and I've even came around on those two or three over time. (for Byleth, I honestly would have preferred Edelgard if we needed to get a Three Houses character, but I can see why they went for a more neutral option, and I like how they changed up Byleth's moveset so he or she wasn't just Marth but with Simon Belmont's range)

Plus, I just like having all of the characters. Even if I'm not familiar with a series, the introduction of a character that I'm unfamiliar with encourages me to try out their game(s) (heck, it's already worked for me with speculation alone - Smash speculation has gotten me to look into games like Nier Automata, the Shantae series, and Guilty Gear Xrd), and I can't see any reason why I'd respond to a reasonable-sounding character reveal with "well, I'm not going to get that".

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Waited 17 years for K.Rool to be added to Smash only for him to be bottom tier and a pain to play.
Oh now you're starting to sound like Marson. Who cares about the tier list, enjoy the character because you like them.

I don't trust credit cards, but I do use intermediaries. I'd only use this as a last resort though, since the consoles I get online are usually older ones, so no I didn't try.

It's more because of money issue than anything else, since I've been spending my time gathering up a physical Switch library in the meantime, as well as focusing on PS4 stuff.
I'll be honest, I have never bought a console online. Though I have bought a lot of games online though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What about Classic Mode? Each fighter has their own route, sometimes ending with a special boss.
I think Classic Mode is still a good quality mode despite some thinking it's not as good as it use to be. The only mode I really want back is the classic Break the Targets.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think Classic Mode is still a good quality mode despite some thinking it's not as good as it use to be. The only mode I really want back is the classic Break the Targets.
I'd only want that back in the style of Brawl for the base game, and only give unique ones to the Fighters Pass characters. I understand why people want it for every single character, but that'd be WAY too much for work for the base game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd only want that back in the style of Brawl for the base game, and only give unique ones to the Fighters Pass characters. I understand why people want it for every single character, but that'd be WAY too much for work for the base game.
I somewhat agree, but if anybody could do it it's Sakurai and his team. Sakurai is the closest thing to a miracle worker in this industry.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
June time! Between the 1st and it's anniversary on the 16th we're finally gonna get that announcement.
It's not very often that a Smash reveal occurs on the anniversary of anything, so I'm not sure if it'll happen by coincidence.

If a proper replacement that fits the niche the old character had you can replace them. Misango, for example has a whole civilization of Misangan people who are in touch with the Misangi. In fact, you could replace Misango with someone even MORE in touch with the Misangi.

Helix is the same. If they can make one they can make another.

I wouldn't replace Master Mummy. There's a lot of potential lore with him and still a ton of mystery. But Misango? It's his civilization that is the big deal and their connection with the gods that gave the world ARMS. He's just one guy from it.
Here's food for thought; since Mechanica is in her mid-teens, do you figure that she may genuinely receive the ARMS factor in a time skip for the sequel and she'd be revamped a bit? I assume that for her name to be left intact, they'd give her a little more iron in her diet, so to speak.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Zelda II did well in reception outside of the obligatory high score from Nintendo Power.
To say nothing of how Paper Mario was turned into something completely different and Nintendo's refusal to make Gamecube Virtual Console or ports make it increasingly harder to go back to.

People have always had their comfort zones. Change is not an inherently good or bad thing. It's a thing that can happen and everyone has their own response to it.
Japan, in particular, has a culture that tends towards being in a comfort zone, when possible, so it definitely shows through in their game series.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't think this is likely, but if I remember correctly, we had the Byleth reveal one week after the Pokemon Direct. Is it possible we could have something similar this month?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think this is likely, but if I remember correctly, we had the Byleth reveal one week after the Pokemon Direct. Is it possible we could have something similar this month?
I didn't think about that. As far as we've seen, that particular pattern (Pokémon news one week, followed by Smash news and/or general Direct the next one) has yet to be broken, so it seems likely. All that's missing is a spirit event/tournament to indicate that there's no Smash announcement this week.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I didn't think about that. As far as we've seen, that particular pattern (Pokémon news one week, followed by Smash news and/or general Direct the next one) has yet to be broken, so it seems likely. All that's missing is a spirit event/tournament to indicate that there's no Smash announcement this week.
Is there really NO Spirit Event/Tourney the week on an announcement? Not even filler spirit events with already existing Spirits? Guess I don’t pay attention to when a reveal is imminent

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well let's see what's in store for us over the next couple weeks.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Oh now you're starting to sound like Marson. Who cares about the tier list, enjoy the character because you like them
1. Its Marsen not Marson

2. I put 300 hours into Smash of mainly just playing K.Rool and I did enjoy some of my time but its tiring going online and feeling like you are doing everything right but still lose cause every character can do things better than Rool.

K.Rool has wayyy too many flaws that make me frustrated to have fun with him anymore. Losing crown and having others pick it up and use it against you and when they do it becomes a better projectile. K.Rools belly armor which is a pain when fighting certain characters like Joker with Arsene, Byleth, Ganondorf, Dedede, Terry, etc. who can break it fairly easily. K.Rools slow as hell movement, the terrible amount of endlag the character has to endure. Especially compared to Bowser who is fast as hell (for a heavy), has stronger attacks than Rool, with less endlag. K.Rools terrible counter. Look at Joker or Hero's their counter/reflector covers their entire body where as K.Rool its one part of his hurtbox you gotta perfectly position to counter something.

Its not fun anymore. It was when the game first came out but now like I said I'd rather play something else than to continue to suffer playing Smash with my favorite character. I'd rather go play Animal Crossing, Clubhouse Games, Bioshock, Dead by Daylight, Streets of Rage 4, etc.

Like I said I will play Smash when a new DLC character I care about comes out until I get bored and then move on until the next DLC character comes out.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
1. Its Marsen not Marson

2. I put 300 hours into Smash of mainly just playing K.Rool and I did enjoy some of my time but its tiring going online and feeling like you are doing everything right but still lose cause every character can do things better than Rool.

K.Rool has wayyy too many flaws that make me frustrated to have fun with him anymore. Losing crown and having others pick it up and use it against you and when they do it becomes a better projectile. K.Rools belly armor which is a pain when fighting certain characters like Joker with Arsene, Byleth, Ganondorf, Dedede, Terry, etc. who can break it fairly easily. K.Rools slow as hell movement, the terrible amount of endlag the character has to endure. Especially compared to Bowser who is fast as hell (for a heavy), has stronger attacks than Rool, with less endlag. K.Rools terrible counter. Look at Joker or Hero's their counter/reflector covers their entire body where as K.Rool its one part of his hurtbox you gotta perfectly position to counter something.

Its not fun anymore. It was when the game first came out but now like I said I'd rather play something else than to continue to suffer playing Smash with my favorite character. I'd rather go play Animal Crossing, Clubhouse Games, Bioshock, Dead by Daylight, Streets of Rage 4, etc.

Like I said I will play Smash when a new DLC character I care about comes out until I get bored and then move on until the next DLC character comes out.
No offense, but two words: Git gud. Plus online sucks for the Smash games as the input lag ruins your performance in matches half of the time or more.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I think next week on the 11th is the most likely for a potential reveal, but I wouldn't mind if it happened this Thursday as the sooner the better.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think next week on the 11th is the most likely for a potential reveal, but I wouldn't mind if it happened this Thursday as the sooner the better.
Don't forget there's also the 9th, the original date of E3. Wouldn't be surprised if there were some games that simply stayed the course.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Give me a reason to fruitlessly hope for it to come this Thursday only until [insert incredibly deep quote here about how high expectations are bad and only them after for me to lighten the mood to say it was a copy pasta]

(There were no spare copy pastas that fit my intended copy pasta in my copy pasta folder so I couldn't paste a copy pasta that were my preferred copy pasta)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Give me a reason to fruitlessly hope for it to come this Thursday only until [insert incredibly deep quote here about how high expectations are bad and only them after for me to lighten the mood to say it was a copy pasta]

(There were no spare copy pastas that fit my intended copy pasta in my copy pasta folder so I couldn't paste a copy pasta that were my preferred copy pasta
I'll give you one: The leaker Zippo said good **** is coming this week and it's going to be a very good week. I don't know much about his track record, but he leaked the Animal Crossing direct back in February and even got the date right I believe.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'll give you one: The leaker Zippo said good **** is coming this week and it's going to be a very good week. I don't know much about his track record, but he leaked the Animal Crossing direct back in February and even got the date right I believe.
Pretty cool. I honestly doubt it's this Thursday as they probably want to keep the shine on pokemon. I hope it is smash related though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Didn’t he say it was explicitly only for Mario though? I wouldn’t know, it’s just what I heard that it seemed to have a connotation to Mario and not Smash

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Pretty cool. I honestly doubt it's this Thursday as they probably want to keep the shine on pokemon. I hope it is smash related though.
Me too. We waited long enough and I'm more curious to find out who #77 is more so than the Arms rep/#76.

Didn’t he say it was explicitly only for Mario though? I wouldn’t know, it’s just what I heard that it seemed to have a connotation to Mario and not Smash
I don't remember. But if so and we get a Smash announcement this week, that could be good for Geno.

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
1. Its Marsen not Marson

Just hope you didn't suffer buyer's remorse.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think he did because K. Rool didn't ended up where he wanted him to in the tier list plus him wishing there was more Nintendo newcomers in Ultimate. Though I wish there was more Nintendo newcomers in Ultimate myself.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, I am not particularly concerned and am grateful. Besides, most of the fanbase expects the current roster to be nuked to hell and back by the next game, so I'm not really one to care about what the general consensus thinks anymore.

Is there really NO Spirit Event/Tourney the week on an announcement? Not even filler spirit events with already existing Spirits? Guess I don’t pay attention to when a reveal is imminent
The only time, to my knowledge, when that didn't happen was when the :ultbyleth: showcase happened on the same week as a spirit event. That threw me off.

Generally, he's one of the better leakers, but due to how everything is in constant flux right now, I don't know if things will backfire (https://twitter.com/Canadianguyehh/status/1267525876658442242). For Feb, he had said an Animal Crossing direct and a regular one would happen, and when the latter didn't, people went on a witch hunt for him. The general direct (mini, apparently) came the next month.

Also, where did you hear his latest saying?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thank you all for the advice

I bought the full pass before the ARMs rep was even announced, I enjoyed every character in the last pass (plus Plant, he's great) and i just enjoy having every character
hmm well sadly that was not the case for me

i bought the whole pass but thats only cause i got so caught up in the hype of B&K but the other 4 were kinda mediocre to rubbish to me, so i didnt feel like i got my moneys worth

err, good luck finding one? ive no idea what eb games is

Just buying the ARMS character. Have no interest in having a "complete" roster as Im not that much of a competitive player and like I stated earlier. Im kinda burnt out on Ultimate. Tired of the crappy laggy barebones online, WoL was complete dog crap so I have no single player content to play, Waited 17 years for K.Rool to be added to Smash only for him to be bottom tier and a pain to play.

I bought Banjo, Byleth, and now the ARMS character. Play them for about a month and then put Smash down until the next character I give a damn about comes along. I own like 130 games on my Switch. I dont want to or feel the need to put more time in to Smash when their are other things for me to play.
ok i dont think that applies to me

I've already bought the second pass. With two or three exceptions, I was a huge fan of the DLC choices when they first came out, and I've even came around on those two or three over time. (for Byleth, I honestly would have preferred Edelgard if we needed to get a Three Houses character, but I can see why they went for a more neutral option, and I like how they changed up Byleth's moveset so he or she wasn't just Marth but with Simon Belmont's range)

Plus, I just like having all of the characters. Even if I'm not familiar with a series, the introduction of a character that I'm unfamiliar with encourages me to try out their game(s) (heck, it's already worked for me with speculation alone - Smash speculation has gotten me to look into games like Nier Automata, the Shantae series, and Guilty Gear Xrd), and I can't see any reason why I'd respond to a reasonable-sounding character reveal with "well, I'm not going to get that".
well im not so bothered about having all the characters though there are one or two i like playing as characters who im unfamiliar. (id preferred claude instead of byleth) and there have been a few times in the past where smash got into some games but these days its been characters from games ive heard of which i had no interest in

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
No like I said I had a good time with about 75% of the 300 hours I put into Smash. 300 hours is a long time for a game. Sakurai has done an incredible job with this game its just Im mostly over it. The ARMS character is exciting (mainly for the amiibo) and I will put a few more hours into the game when he comes out but Im not gonna spend 18 hours a day everyday playing Smash when the Switch has a LOT more to play.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
i bought the whole pass but thats only cause i got so caught up in the hype of B&K but the other 4 were kinda mediocre to rubbish to me, so i didnt feel like i got my moneys worth
In that case, go for the DLC that are interesting to you only. While you do save a bit of money on the pass, it stills requires to pay for everything at once, and for characters that are indeed unsure to be to your liking. To quote Sakurai about FP1 and the characters being a mystery at that time: "I hope only those who are confident in it's value will purchase it"

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In that case, go for the DLC that are interesting to you only. While you do save a bit of money on the pass, it stills requires to pay for everything at once, and for characters that are indeed unsure to be to your liking. To quote Sakurai about FP1 and the characters being a mystery at that time: "I hope only those who are confident in it's value will purchase it"
Pretty much. Blind-buying in general is a risky thing (for both stuff that's not revealed yet, and already-known stuff); you get something that you never heard about and didn't know how it went until you try it out, and if you don't like it, it turns out to have been a rash decision.

Top Bottom