• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
All Fighters Pass characters have had a cinematic Final Smash so it's a pretty safe bet the ARMS character will get one as well. My money's on a Hedlok-powered beatdown followed by it's Rush Attack and a giant explosion. That would of course fit Dr. Coyle better than others...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
RogerBase's video on the subject

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I was thinking, if they do add more than 1 character as alts, they could develop their moveset to be a mix of their main attributes, like how Simon has moves that only Richter uses and viceversa. Heck, Simon has never used Grand Cross in any mainline Castlevania game.

But i feel 8 is too much given they're not all similar in general anatomy, so 4 characters with 2 skins each makes more sense.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I was thinking, if they do add more than 1 character as alts, they could develop their moveset to be a mix of their main attributes, like how Simon has moves that only Richter uses and viceversa. Heck, Simon has never used Grand Cross in any mainline Castlevania game.
Well if Min Min is part of the Fighter, they could work in her kicks to vary the basic moves up a bit.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well if Min Min is part of the Fighter, they could work in her kicks to vary the basic moves up a bit.
And as I've said in the newcomer speculation thread, since 4 characters are theorized to be part of this package and ARMS fighters only have one throw, those 4 characters's throws could be repurposed into the Smash fighter's 4.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's all the base game throws in action

I'd say if the fighter was to use one from a different fighter for each

forward- Min Min
back- Ribbon Girl
up- Spring Man
down- Master Mummy

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

But i feel 8 is too much given they're not all similar in general anatomy, so 4 characters with 2 skins each makes more sense.
And as I've said in the newcomer speculation thread, since 4 characters are theorized to be part of this package and ARMS fighters only have one throw, those 4 characters's throws could be repurposed into the Smash fighter's 4.
I like that, helps to narrow it down a bit. I figure that we'd get two base fighters and two DLC to balance it out, and make fans of both sides happy.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They could also just reference other throws without really using 4 alts.

Master Mummy in particular is a perfect down throw, especially since technically everyone can do it because of the slam dunk in Hoops.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I like that, helps to narrow it down a bit. I figure that we'd get two base fighters and two DLC to balance it out, and make fans of both sides happy.
Then the question becomes, who is the defualt? Hero's iconic form is number 3 but the default is no 11 so ti's hard to tell how it'll go.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Then the question becomes, who is the defualt? Hero's iconic form is number 3 but the default is no 11 so ti's hard to tell how it'll go.
The answer may be the character who becomes the main face of a hypothetical ARMS 2, much like how the final Splatfest affected Splatoon 2.

Now, who won the last ARMS competition...? Oh yeah, somebody with literal noodle arms. :smirk:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In the case of a multi-character, the default will most likely be a base roster character. They'll open with something like Min Min or Ninjara and then half way through the trailer Biff says something to the effect of "Someone new has just entered the ring!" BAM! ARMS 2 poster boy/girl.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Could we get Spring Man with Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara as 3 alts since they all have similar body types/heights? I'd really like Twintelle and Helix but they're so different they wouldn't be able to be alts.
Not only do I think we could get this, I believe this is the most likely scenario, and the reason I believe this to be the case is because it would be the best way to represent ARMS. No pun intended, but I don't think it's any stretch to say that the main draw of ARMS is the diverse roster of fighters, so getting as many of those as you can into Smash is easily the way to go.

Also, it'd very convenient for the devs, since four of the most popular and/or iconic characters in the entire game not only all share the same general body type, but also have gimmicks that can all be merged into one unique and varied moveset:
  • From Spring Man, they resist flinching to weak attacks and their attacks get boosted when at low health
  • From Ribbon Girl, they gain a second mid-air jump
  • From Ninjara, they get an improved dodge compared to other characters
  • From Min-Min, they get some quick aerial kicks

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here’s my idea for a Min-Min moveset, if anyone was interested:
Intro: Min Min jumps down from the sky and gets into her fighting stance.

Stance/Idle 1: Her fighting stance from ARMS,

Idle 2: Min Min’s Dragon Arms breathe fire for a second.

Notable Palette Swaps: Yellow Min Min, White Min Min, Pink Min Min, Ninjara, Helix, Kid Cobra, Max Brass

Walk: Her walking animation from ARMS.

Jog: Her jogging animation from ARMS.

Dash: Her dashing animation from ARMS.

Damage: Her damage animation from ARMS.

Jump: Her jumping animation from ARMS.

Crouch: Min Min crouches with her ARMS held slightly above her.

Movement Speed: Slightly faster than Spring Man’s Assist Trophy.

Size: 5’5”

Weight: Unimportant Around the same as Spring Man

Weapon of Choice: ARMS, a special type of melee weapon designed for ARMS fights.

Jab: Min Min does a short-reaching jab with either arm (7%, small knockback)

Forward+A: Min Min briefly summons a Ramram using the ARM closer to the background (9%, OK knockback)

Down+A: Min Min raises the foot closer to the background and kicks downward (8%, OK knockback)

Up+A: Min Min kicks upwards using the foot closer to the foreground (8%, small knockback) while using her ARMS for a brief handstand.

Air+A: Min Min kicks in a circle with the foot closer to the background (7%, small knockback)

Air Forward+A: Min Min kicks forward with the foot closer to the background (7%, small knockback)

Air Back + A: Min Min kicks backwards with the foot closer to the foreground (8%, small knockback)

Air Up+A: Min Min kicks upwards (8%, small knockback)

Air Down+A: Min Min kicks downwards (11%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Min Min does a jumping kick with the foot closer to the background (9%, OK knockback)

Edge Attack: Min Min stretches back and springs upwards with a arc kick (10%, OK knockback)

Get-Up Attack: Min Min turns her ARMS into Ramrams and spins around (12%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves

Forward+A: Min Min fully extends the Dragon ARM closer to the foreground (17%, OK knockback)

Up+A: Min Min strikes upwards with charged Ramrams that cut through the air like wind (19%, medium knockback)

Down+A: Min Min slams her Megawatt ARMS on both sides of the ground (26%, medium knockback)

Grab: Her grab from ARMS.

Pummel: Min Min kicks the opponent (2%)

Forwards+Throw: The second half of her throw from ARMS (13%, OK knockback)

Down+Throw: The first part of her throw from ARMS (11%, OK knockback)

Back+Throw: Min Min jumps above the opponent still grabbing them, and then kicks them from behind (14%, OK knockback); based on Helix’s throw from ARMS.

Up+Throw: Kid Cobra’s throw from ARMS (16%, OK knockback)

Special Moves

B : Dragon Beam; Min Min sends one of her Dragon ARMS forward, and the one she sends out shoots a fiery beam that can be moved up or down (15%, OK knockback). When charged, the beam is bigger and the Dragon can’t be aimed (25%, medium knockback)

B + Forwards : Ramram Slice-n-Dice; Min Min sends a Ramram forward and sliced by spinning backwards (13%, OK knockback). When charged, it spins 5 times in succession (20%, OK knockback)

B + Up : Megawatt Propel; Min Min punches diagonally downward from herself to propel forward (16%, medium knockback). When charged, Min Min sends out a bigger Megawatt to propel herself further (24%, medium knockback)

B + Down : Dragon Charge; Min Min stores energy in her to power up a special move. When B + Down is pressed again, Min Min instead shoots an orb that uses the energy for Dragon Beam. This beam homes in on players, but takes awhile to make contact (16%, OK knockback)

Final Smash: Dragon Rush; Min Min is surged with energy. She punches outward with a Megawatt (18%), creates a flurry of Ramrams (13%) and then shoots two powerful beams out of both her Dragon ARMS (32%; 63% total, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: Every now and then, the arm closest to the foreground will be turned into dragon scales. Her attack power is then permanently raised by 1.1x until she is K.O.’d. In addition, her aerials reduce damage taken from attacks.

Taunts:

1: Her winpose for when she wins a round.

2: Min Min loosely mimics her official render.

1+2: Min Min loosely mimics her Grand Prix ending artwork.

Winposes:

1: Her animation for when she wins the Grand Prix in ARMS, belt and all.

2: Her victory animation from ARMS where she ends with a kick with the left foot close to the camera.

3: Her victory animation from ARMS where she raises her dragon scaled right arm and then poses it towards the camera, with the Dragon ARM being offscreen.

Icon: The ARMS logo constantly seen throughout the game.

Boxing Ring Title: The Ramen Bomber

Victory Music: https://youtu.be/kwQ6_rwvMp8

Kirby Hat: Min Min’s hat, hair, and mask.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Not only do I think we could get this, I believe this is the most likely scenario, and the reason I believe this to be the case is because it would be the best way to represent ARMS. No pun intended, but I don't think it's any stretch to say that the main draw of ARMS is the diverse roster of fighters, so getting as many of those as you can into Smash is easily the way to go.

Also, it'd very convenient for the devs, since four of the most popular and/or iconic characters in the entire game not only all share the same general body type, but also have gimmicks that can all be merged into one unique and varied moveset:
  • From Spring Man, they resist flinching to weak attacks and their attacks get boosted when at low health
  • From Ribbon Girl, they gain a second mid-air jump
  • From Ninjara, they get an improved dodge compared to other characters
  • From Min-Min, they get some quick aerial kicks
Just like Ken and Ryu sharing a slot right?

The slot is not there to be a catch-all ARMS slot, its there to be a specific individual's slot. If they want another character from ARMS then another rep will be added as their own fighter.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace

So he thinks probably Biff too but in the way he's more like Pokémon Trainer who summons other fighters instead. That could work. After all, wrestling shows always had someone interrupting a match and it's no different in ARMS so Biff swapping fighters with comments like, for example, "OMG Twintelle just took out Master Mummy" and vice versa if ya want Master Mummy back would be clever and it would be the only way ya can use both light and heavyweights.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Just like Ken and Ryu sharing a slot right?

The slot is not there to be a catch-all ARMS slot, its there to be a specific individual's slot. If they want another character from ARMS then another rep will be added as their own fighter.
First off, that's a total false equivalency. Ryu and Ken have numerous differences between eachother, such as having different move parameters and completely different Final Smashes, so much so that combining them into a single character wouldn't be feasable.

Second, ARMS characters (or at least the four I'm talking about here) play exactly the same from one another aside from one or two small gimmicks;
  • Spring Man can repel punches with a shockwave and his arms keep their charge when he's at low health.
  • Ribbon Girl can jump up to 4 times, mid-air dash twice in any direction, and fast fall.
  • Ninjara can warp a short distance whilst in the air or shielding.
  • Min-Min can do kicks whilst dashing, as well as keep her left arm charged after a single charge so long as she doesn't get hit.
They all attack the same way, can equip the same ARMS, and maneuver around the stage in the same way. There's little separating them from eachother mechanically, and as such would work perfectly fine as alts for one another.

Third, we already have plenty of fighters who've done this multiple characters thing: Olimar and Alph are a 2-in-1 character (as is every gendered character, such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer or Inkling), Hero is a 4-in-1 character, and Bowser Jr. is a full-on 8-in-1 character, which is especially notable considering that the Koopalings tend to vary in size between eachother.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I think Rogerbase's video is well done and is a good assessment. Only things I disagree with
  • Helix is 100% recognizable. From discussion, I see a lot of people bring him up
  • He brings up developer intent for Twintelle but not for Min Min who is the director's favorite. May not have known

SwitchButton

Ryu and Ken have numerous differences between eachother, such as having different move parameters and completely different Final Smashes, so much so that combining them into a single character wouldn't be feasable.
Right just like the ARMS fighters. Except ARMS has more then just something as vague as "move parameters". ARMS fighters have entire abilities and stats like speed and arm size exclusive to themselves. As well as having VASTLY distinct animations and postures.

Olimar and Alph
Olimar and Alph are functionally the same character. In their home game they have the exact same controls and the EXACT same animations for every action. The only difference is their spoken personalities but smash keeps them silent so thats irrelevant.

Hero isnt a character, he's a walking design. He has no personality, no identity, no unique traits or animations. Hero only exists to be a new costume for you the player to wear each Dragon Quest game. They're identical aside from their haircuts and clothing.

The Koopalings arent fighters. They are decorations sitting inside the clown car, who is the actual combatant. They work because their ugly deformed Bowser Jr reskin bodies are hidden inside the car most of the time. They have also always basically been reskins of one another, lacking any personality beyond "mischievous Bowser lackey"

If Bowser Jr fought on his own without the clown car then the koopalings would be impossible.

So, if Ryu and Ken, the actual clones (gameplay wise) can be separate characters, then why do the unique and distinct ARMS characters need to share a slot?

Also Daisy is proof that "animated personality" is a good enough reason to give a fighter their own slot. She's identical to peach moveset wise, but she's too hyper and tomboyish to have Peach's dainty and princess-like animations

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Well since Springman is already a assist trophy i`ll say that either Ribbon Girl, Min Min, or Twintelle have the best chances.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't understand why people say they'll be hyped as long as it's not Springman because he's too basic. Yeah, within ARMS he's basic, but within smash he'd be one of the most, if not the most unique character on the roster. I mean, incorporating ARMS mechanics in smash is going to result in one crazy ass character regardless of who it is.
THANK YOU. It's interesting, I've been seeing more and more people be more open to the idea of Spring Man because they've been realizing his potential. In ARMS, he may be the most vanilla character, but in Smash? He's got unique attributes out the wazoo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pretty much every Dragon Quest MC is a jack of all trades that can learn most magic spells. They're completely interchangeable, especially the playable 4.
You'd be mistaken. Most of the spells Hero uses in Smash can't be learned by one or more of them. There's several that can't be learned by any of them, only by party members.

Compared to that, having four characters share a moveset based on those four characters' abilities isn't too far from canon.

SwitchButton

Most of the spells Hero uses in Smash can't be learned by one or more of them.
And those are the rare exceptions where the move is too iconic to leave out of Smash. Plus magic can be simply taught. The Hero using any spell is plausable enough that it doesnt cause any issue.

Compared to that, having four characters share a moveset based on those four characters' abilities isn't too far from canon.
I dont understand this. It would be a complete betrayal of Smash as a whole. You'd essentially be creating some utterly schizophrenic original character. It would utterly defeat the purpose.

Its like if you said that Mario, Luigi, and Wario were all one character and the moveset was a weird hybrid of all three. It wouldn't work.

If this horrible hybrid ARMS character did get made, then I would consider it a massive slap in the face to the fans and game that Yabuki and his team have created.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well since Springman is already a assist trophy i`ll say that either Ribbon Girl, Min Min, or Twintelle have the best chances.
Remember, you're still believing they can break the rules by thinking it won't be the series' Ryu.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And those are the rare exceptions where the move is too iconic to leave out of Smash.
These are the "rare" exceptions:

Erdrick
  • Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Oomph
  • Bounce
  • Flame Slash
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Psyche Up
  • Accelerattle
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Metal Slash
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
Solo
  • Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Oomph
  • Snooze
  • Bounce
  • Flame Slash
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Sizzle
  • Psyche Up
  • Heal
  • Accelerattle
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Metal Slash
  • Magic Burst
Eight
  • Frizz/Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Snooze
  • Bounce
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kaclang
  • Psyche Up
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
Luminary
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Bounce
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Psyche Up
  • Accelerattle
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
(Credit to N3ON for making the list)

Out of the 31 spells that Hero can do in Smash, 26 can't be used by one of them (that's 84%!). 11 of those can't be used by any of them. That isn't a rare exception, that's the statistical rule.

You're allowed to not like the idea of representing ARMS that way. I won't even tell you to keep an open mind because it's fine if you're opposed on principle, and nothing guarantees us that it will work out in practice. But personally? I think it can work, and whether we like it or not, the truth is it can easily happen.

SwitchButton

These are the "rare" exceptions:

Erdrick
  • Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Oomph
  • Bounce
  • Flame Slash
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Psyche Up
  • Accelerattle
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Metal Slash
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
Solo
  • Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Oomph
  • Snooze
  • Bounce
  • Flame Slash
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Sizzle
  • Psyche Up
  • Heal
  • Accelerattle
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Metal Slash
  • Magic Burst
Eight
  • Frizz/Frizzle/Kafrizz
  • Zapple
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Snooze
  • Bounce
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kaclang
  • Psyche Up
  • Bang
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
Luminary
  • Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh
  • Bounce
  • Kacrackle Slash
  • Kamikazee
  • Psyche Up
  • Accelerattle
  • Kaboom
  • Hatchet Man
  • Whack
  • Thwack
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Magic Burst
(Credit to N3ON for making the list)

Out of the 31 spells that Hero can do in Smash, 26 can't be used by one of them (that's 84%!). 11 of those can't be used by any of them. That isn't a rare exception, that's the statistical rule.

You're allowed to not like the idea of representing ARMS that way. I won't even tell you to keep an open mind because it's fine if you're opposed on principle, and nothing guarantees us that it will work out in practice. But personally? I think it can work, and whether we like it or not, the truth is it can easily happen.
As you can see, the overlap is immense. The fact that only one of them cant use the majority of the moves is a nothingburger. All 4 can use magic, thus plausibility mandates that there's nothing stopping the character from using any spells.

Please explain to me how the character would animate. Remember, if even one character looks even slightly out of character then your entire argument falls apart. Explain to me how you would animate character to look and feel like the straight standing Spring Man, the crouching Ninjara, the bow legged ribbon girl, and the forward leaning Minmin.

And then explain to me how it makes sense for spring man to teleport and grow a dragon arm.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Right just like the ARMS fighters. Except ARMS has more then just something as vague as "move parameters". ARMS fighters have entire abilities and stats like speed and arm size exclusive to themselves.
I agree, however that's not nearly as true for the four I've been discussing.

• In terms of Statistics, Spring Man and Min-Min are equal in everything apart from max charge time, and Ribbon Girl is nearly exactly the same in this regard to Min-Min, albeit with slightly lower dash distance. Ninjara is really the only one of these four whose Statistics are significantly different compared to the other three fighters, but even then he's only ahead by ~20% in each stat.
  • In terms of Official Stats we see a bit more variance; The women are one unit shorter than the men, which is consistent with typical human dimorphism, though I'd imagine it wouldn't matter all too much in-game. Arm Girth is even amongst the men, with the women being below average, save for Min-Min's left arm when it's fully charged. Speed is consistent between three of these four fighters, with the obvious exception being Ninjara who is... well, a ninja, and is naturally faster. Jumping is relatively balanced between the four of them, with Ribbon Girl and Ninjara beating the other two out by a single point. The last two stats are clearly joke stats which have no effect in-game.
While there are noticeable stat differences between this quartet here and there, none of their stats are all too different that they can't be evened out should these characters get merged together for Smash. The only one of these you could make a decent argument for would be Ninjara thanks to his generally speedier gameplay, but due to Smash Ultimate already being as fast paced as it is, such speed differences compared to his home game would be negligable in the grand scheme of things.

As well as having VASTLY distinct animations and postures.
While that may be true in some instances, such as their idle and victory animations, their basic movements and attacks aren't all that different. If these four were included as one general ARMS fighter, the idle, taunts, and victory animations are all that would need to be changed in terms of animation. Their punches would differ little, their jumps would differ little, their grabs would differ little, their aerials would differ little, even their Final Smash would differ little as they are all capable of using the same rapid-fire fisticuffs move when their special meter is full.

Olimar and Alph are functionally the same character. In their home game they have the exact same controls and the EXACT same animations for every action. The only difference is their spoken personalities but smash keeps them silent so thats irrelevant.

Hero isnt a character, he's a walking design. He has no personality, no identity, no unique traits or animations. Hero only exists to be a new costume for you the player to wear each Dragon Quest game. They're identical aside from their haircuts and clothing.

The Koopalings arent fighters. They are decorations sitting inside the clown car, who is the actual combatant. They work because their ugly deformed Bowser Jr reskin bodies are hidden inside the car most of the time. They have also always basically been reskins of one another, lacking any personality beyond "mischievous Bowser lackey"

If Bowser Jr fought on his own without the clown car then the koopalings would be impossible.

So, if Ryu and Ken, the actual clones (gameplay wise) can be separate characters, then why do the unique and distinct ARMS characters need to share a slot?
Well for one, we're most likely not getting any DLC Echo Fighters at all. Given that Sakurai has gone on record stating that they don't have any plans for DLC after Vol.2, as well as each Challenger Pack specifying only one fighter, I'd take that as a pretty clear joss against DLC Echoes. But even if they did decide to add Echoes to a Challenger Pack, it would be pretty unfair to the other DLC fighters. "Oh okay, my character comes alone, but they come with another character?! Talk about Sakurai Bias!"

Also, I really don't think you paid any attention to what I was saying regarding the differences between Ryu and Ken. The reason these two are Echoes of eachother rather than being alt costumes is because they have very significant differences that make such homogenization unfeasable. A few of these unassailable differences are as follows:
  • Quite a few of their standard attacking moves have different properties, with some of them being completely different in both animation and function.
  • While Ryu and Ken share most of their imput commands, they each have one or two that are unique compared to eachother; Ryu has the Shankunetsu Hadourken and Ken has both the Oosoto Mawashi Geri and the Nata Otoshi Geri.
  • Ryu can't do the Shippu Jinraikyaku or the Shinryuken, and Ken can't do the Shin Shoryuken or the Shinku Hadouken.
The same could apply to Dark Pit. Depite being almost identical to Pit in most ways, one way that the two differ that would prevent them from being part of the same fighter are their Final Smashes. It would make no sense for Dark Pit to use the Three Sacred Treasures (Smash 4) or the Lightning Chariot (Ultimate), as he never finds himself in posession of the former, and the latter is in Pit's custody by the time Ultimate rolls around (Super Smash Bros. is part of the Kid Icarus canon.), plus it doesn't really fit his style. As such, his Final Smash is his signature Dark Pit Staff.

Also Daisy is proof that "animated personality" is a good enough reason to give a fighter their own slot. She's identical to peach moveset wise, but she's too hyper and tomboyish to have Peach's dainty and princess-like animations.
From what I can tell, Echo Fighters are designated the way that they are based on how much development time is requires to make them, rather than how much of them is wholly different from their base fighter. From a designer's perspective, it takes much less time to make someone like Daisy or Chrom since all they'd have to do is reuse most of their base fighter's animations, attacks, grabs, even their Final Smashes in some cases, and their moveset is balanced compared to their base fighter rather than the rest of the cast, which takes even less time. It would explain why Dr. Mario isn't considered an Echo of Mario but Dark Samus is considered one for Samus, despite the former duo being superficially similar.

Also, I think you're seriously overemphasizing the importance of character animations when it comes to whether a fighter is worthy of being considered an Echo or not. I mean, the male and female Pokemon Trainer have different animations between eachother, but neither of them are considered Echoes of the other. Same with Inkling and Byleth, who have different animations in some cases between genders.

Pretty much every Dragon Quest MC is a jack of all trades that can learn most magic spells. They're completely interchangeable, especially the playable 4.
You'd be mistaken. Most of the spells Hero uses in Smash can't be learned by one or more of them. There's several that can't be learned by any of them, only by party members.

Also, I'm pretty sure one of them uses staves to attack and the other one is a manlet angel, which is pretty wildly different as far as protagonists go.

I dont understand this. It would be a complete betrayal of Smash as a whole. You'd essentially be creating some utterly schizophrenic original character. It would utterly defeat the purpose.

Its like if you said that Mario, Luigi, and Wario were all one character and the moveset was a weird hybrid of all three. It wouldn't work.

If this horrible hybrid ARMS character did get made, then I would consider it a massive slap in the face to the fans and game that Yabuki and his team have created.
Wario is literally twice as wide as both Mario and Luigi combined. They are not at all comparable to the four ARMS characters I'm talking about. Take a look at this:
ARMSCharacterComparison.png

(Note: There was no image of Min-Min's model to compare with.)
Their body types are nearly identical to eachother. Are you honestly trying to tell me that these characters couldn't be slightly modified in height to fit on the same rig? Especially since Smash tends to care very little when it comes to canon character sizes?

Please explain to me how the character would animate. Remember, if even one character looks even slightly out of character then your entire argument falls apart. Explain to me how you would animate character to look and feel like the straight standing Spring Man, the crouching Ninjara, the bow legged ribbon girl, and the forward leaning Minmin.
Different idle animations.
And then explain to me how it makes sense for spring man to teleport and grow a dragon arm.
He wouldn't, those would be animations exclusive to those characters: Ninjara's dodges would have him warp as he usually does despite it functioning the exact same as everyone else's dodge, and Min-Min's left arm gimmick would be relegated to her Final Smash animation.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Okay, I was largely staying out of this debacle being myself someone who isn't super invested in how they end up implementing an ARMS rep into Smash, but I feel I have to interject here: Come on dude, I'll give you the point about Ninjara's teleporting, but I myself mentioned in this thread how ARMS the game itself allows any character to unlock and use any other character's arms, offering more potential moveset ideas to a singular or otherwise ARMS character. If you're really so keen on ARMS being accurate, you should know that. Yes, the dragon ARM is most commonly associated with Min-Min, granted, but nobody has to "grow" a dragon arm, because they can already use that arm in game. Min Min starts with the dragon arm, but Springman can use the dragon arm, Ribbon Girl can use the dragon arm, Twintelle can use the dragon arm, Lola Pop can use the dragon arm, Dr. Coyle can use the dragon arm. Literally every character can have that arm, and with enough playtime, literally every other arm, as an available tool they can use in the game. Equipping ARMS is a core gameplay mechanic, meaning it should be super not crazy to imagine an ARMS character in Smash equipping a different ARM than the ones they start with. The only thing exclusive to Min-Min that other characters aren't allowed to have canonically afaik is her kicks.

I get you're super averse to the idea of a mixed skins character, and as someone with little stake in an ARMS character portrayal, I respect that, I really do. But now you're arguing against your own argument of ARMS purity just to try and gotcha someone.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Not a big fan of the multiple character idea because it ignores how unique these characters are and may give wrong impressions to people who didn't play the game. Rogers video is spot-on to me, it's between Ribbon Girl, Twintelle and Min Min, with Springman in 4th as an assist promotion would be something new.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

In terms of Statistics, Spring Man and Min-Min are equal in everything apart from max charge time
And arm girth. Minmin has both the smallest and the largest arms in the game by a wide margin. I'm not responding to every single paragraph you write because all you're doing is glossing over key character difference because you think they dont matter which is utterly absurd. Do I need to remind you that Sakurai put a symbol inside of a characters eyeball despite it being impossible to ever see in normal play? The man is obsessed with faithfulness and details to an insane degree. I'm utterly flabbergasted that you think sacrificing character-defining mechanics is something Sakurai would ever consider doing.

I dont care if the inkling alt costumes have one or two small keyframe differences. It has been flat out stated that simply animating too differently can justify separating costumes into their own characters. That is the single reason why Daisy exists on her own. And you think something as HUGE as a completely different dodge animation could fit into an alt? A dodge that would require possible hitbox changes which immediately disqualifies any kind of costume.

The characters stances, sizes, postures, and abilities make them too diverse and thus makes it impossible for them to share a skeleton and hitboxes. Ken and Ryu prove this plain and simple.

Okay, I was largely staying out of this debacle being myself someone who isn't super invested in how they end up implementing an ARMS rep into Smash, but I feel I have to interject here: Come on dude, I'll give you the point about Ninjara's teleporting, but I myself mentioned in this thread how ARMS the game itself allows any character to unlock and use any other character's arms, offering more potential moveset ideas to a singular or otherwise ARMS character. If you're really so keen on ARMS being accurate, you should know that. Yes, the dragon ARM is most commonly associated with Min-Min, granted, but nobody has to "grow" a dragon arm, because they can already use that arm in game. Min Min starts with the dragon arm, but Springman can use the dragon arm, Ribbon Girl can use the dragon arm, Twintelle can use the dragon arm, Lola Pop can use the dragon arm, Dr. Coyle can use the dragon arm. Literally every character can have that arm, and with enough playtime, literally every other arm, as an available tool they can use in the game. Equipping ARMS is a core gameplay mechanic, meaning it should be super not crazy to imagine an ARMS character in Smash equipping a different ARM than the ones they start with. The only thing exclusive to Min-Min that other characters aren't allowed to have canonically afaik is her kicks.

I get you're super averse to the idea of a mixed skins character, and as someone with little stake in an ARMS character portrayal, I respect that, I really do. But now you're arguing against your own argument of ARMS purity just to try and gotcha someone.
Please tell me you're trying to be funny right now.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Please tell me you're trying to be funny right now.
I'm not. If I'm mistaken, please enlighten me. I admittedly haven't played ARMS myself, but is it not my understanding that any character can use all of the available arms in the game, and that unlocking, and mixing and matching many different kinds of arms, is encouraged?

If you would only want the chosen represented character in Smash to use their three signature ARMS, that's fine, just say that, but is it not true that characters in ARMS don't have to use their signature ARMS, that they can in fact equip other characters signature ARMS before matches to use new strategies, and ergo this mechanic could be integrated in Smash to give even a single character interesting and unique moves without trampling the precious ARMS accuracy and character purity that's so important to you?

As I said, if I'm mistaken, please let me know. But if I understand ARMS the game correctly, Springman, or indeed any other not Min-Min character, could literally use all three of Min-Min's signature arms canonically (Both in ARMS the game and in Smash.) and that wouldn't betray their subtle and nuanced character, since that seems to be what you're so concerned with.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
There seems to be some confusion going around when talking about the Dragon ARM. It can refer to two things:

Min Min's signature ARM that spews lasers, but can be used by anyone when unlocked.
OR
Min Min's unique ability where her left ARM increases in size significantly and stays charged until she is knocked down.

Top Bottom