• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Confused Ape - Simple Q&A Thread (Read OP for FAQ)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Quick Q: How do you cancel charging your punch in the air without airdodging?
It is based on timing. If you press shield right before a wind-up finishes, you will also buffer an air dodge. If you press it earlier in the wind-up animation you won't buffer an air dodge.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
what is every move dk has that cancels momentum from a jump?
I know jumping headbutt does as well as up-b, but what else cancels some / all jumping momentum ?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
what is every move dk has that cancels momentum from a jump?
I know jumping headbutt does as well as up-b, but what else cancels some / all jumping momentum ?
Just Side B and Up B. Maybe Cargo Dtoss if you do it while full hopping.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Darn I was afraid nothing else did, I thought maybe somehow down-b could but I guess not.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
@ Jaycee_023 Jaycee_023
Little mac is a great match up for us. Prob one of our best.

Zss or custom villager are imo the worst MUs of those characters. Not sure to much about lucas since he is new.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Villagers the worst the projectile spam is too real. Zss is 2nd worst but atleast we can push her wiffed grabs and up-bs hard.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
What do you all use to cover ledge options when the opponent is trying to get back on stage? I've been using dtilt or up tilt spam to cover space or just going with any reads I have but I feel like there has to be some way to cover more options and be safer.

Maybe uptilts with your back facing the ledge, or a well spaced dsmash? Idk, Let me know what you think.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Down tilt/ spaced f-tilt can cover jumps really well. Down B covers get ups/ get up rolls and ledge attacks amazingly. I only usually up tilt if the down tilt misses and they jumped from the ledge

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
What do you all use to cover ledge options when the opponent is trying to get back on stage? I've been using dtilt or up tilt spam to cover space or just going with any reads I have but I feel like there has to be some way to cover more options and be safer.

Maybe uptilts with your back facing the ledge, or a well spaced dsmash? Idk, Let me know what you think.
Only a few things can cover every option. Charged Dsmash, Spinning Kong, and AC Nair are the moves that cover pretty much everything. Dsmash has the highest reward, Spinning Kong is the easiest to time, and AC Nair is the safest but requires you to react to Ledge Rolls and is harder to hit with on small characters. Only Dsmash can also hit people who just hang on the ledge though (unless they stick out like DK). Ledge Drop + Double Jump Attack is also character specific, but covering those is usually just a matter of shielding and punishing the lag.

Usually Ledge Jumps are too quick to react to, so if I think they are going to do one I time an attack to hit as soon as a buffered Ledge Jump would happen. Usually people just Ledge Jump immediaely to avoid Ledge Trumps, so it works more often than you'd think.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
How useful/realistic is using the cargo spike in this game compared to brawl.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
How useful/realistic is using the cargo spike in this game compared to brawl.
Very effective since the update that improved the cargo Dthrow. The only issue is you have to practice pivoting.

The cargo throw is now a mixup game. You can pivot and go for the stage spike with Dcargo throw, or when they start teching either change up your timing to go lower or forget the pivot and jump straight for the blast line into a Dcargo throw. It kills very well around 110-120 depending on stage, character, and how close to the blast line you can get.

pongid

Smash Rookie
What are the best options when DK turns into combo food and is juggled? Particular enemies that come to mind are metaknight's Uairs and Shiek's Fairs.

I've learned that DK's UpB can be a "get off me" move, for example I use it to break out of Mario's Utilt juggle. It comes out on frame 4(?) and has great priority.

But in general, what are the options I should be taking / what should I be thinking about? UpB? Air dodge? Doube Jump? DI / smash DI? I guess this all really depends on the situations, but if anyone could provide tips on what to do when being juggled, I'd appreciate it.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
What are the best options when DK turns into combo food and is juggled? Particular enemies that come to mind are metaknight's Uairs and Shiek's Fairs.

I've learned that DK's UpB can be a "get off me" move, for example I use it to break out of Mario's Utilt juggle. It comes out on frame 4(?) and has great priority.

But in general, what are the options I should be taking / what should I be thinking about? UpB? Air dodge? Doube Jump? DI / smash DI? I guess this all really depends on the situations, but if anyone could provide tips on what to do when being juggled, I'd appreciate it.
Welcome to smashboards. I moved your post here since it was a simple question.

You generally should be looking to save your double jump and drift away from danger. If you don't have a double jump and can't drift away to safety or towards a ledge, then you have to intercept them with Dair or go a an air dodge.

Fast falling at the right time, using Up B to go towards a platform/ledge, and using the Jumping Headbutt custom move are also some options to keep in mind. Sometimes you can charge the punch in the air and bait them into coming after you, then fast fall air dodge or just air dodge.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Still having trouble with Cargo stage spikes. I grab-cargo walk off ledge and pivot d-throw?
All you have to do is pivot close enough to the edge to fall off from the momentum of walking forward. It helps to just tap backwards slightly instead of all the way. Letting go quickly after turning around also helps. You just need good timing for the most part. If you walk off the stage before pivoting first, you can't change directions.

Last edited:

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
How to deal with Jigglypuff? Her aerials are very annoying coupled with her side-b.

What can DK do to take advantage?

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
I was wondering what the optimal follow ups at low percents are when dk get a grab. When I get a grab at 0, it seems that the only true combo I can get out of cargo upthrow is up air, but I don't want to stale it so it kills as early as possible. At mid percents I normally go for cargo upthrow > nair > bair or upB. And at high percents I go for up air obviously because it kills. Just not sure what is optimal for the 0-10% range. Let me know what you guys prefer to do when you get a grab at low percents

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How do you do the ding-dong at high percents? FThrow into Uair seems to work beyond 80% when I watch streams, but I don't know how to do it.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
How to deal with Jigglypuff? Her aerials are very annoying coupled with her side-b.

What can DK do to take advantage?
All you need to do is use your tilts, Bair, and Uair to trade with or beat her aerials cleanly. Due to the weight difference, you can lose like 2 out of 3 times and still come out ahead. The only real way you can lose is if you get hit by rest consistently or get edge guarded mercilessly. Both of those scenarios are more along the lines of getting outplayed as opposed to the MU being difficult, so just practice your spacing.

What's the most optimal damage you can get when you break a shield before 9-wind/full charged fsmash will kill?
Grab -> Jump CUT -> Bair -> Up B for like 60%. You could squeeze in a Pummel and an AC Nair or risk a Dtilt trip for an extra 10% too, but that is probably too much. You can also do it without the Bair and probably have to on certain characters at certain %'s.

I was wondering what the optimal follow ups at low percents are when dk get a grab. When I get a grab at 0, it seems that the only true combo I can get out of cargo upthrow is up air, but I don't want to stale it so it kills as early as possible. At mid percents I normally go for cargo upthrow > nair > bair or upB. And at high percents I go for up air obviously because it kills. Just not sure what is optimal for the 0-10% range. Let me know what you guys prefer to do when you get a grab at low percents
At very low %'s opponents can mash out while you jump, so it is better to just to grounded CUT to Uair (or Usmash on certain characters). If for whatever reason you really don't want to Uair and Usmash won't combo, you could just do CBT instead for 12%. If they are slow mashers, you can jump and do w/e you want as normal including Bair and Up B.

How do you do the ding-dong at high percents? FThrow into Uair seems to work beyond 80% when I watch streams, but I don't know how to do it.
It is just good timing and not having too much rage. You have to start the throw as early in your jump as possible and double jump as soon as you can. Doing both of these leaves them close enough to you to still combo at higher %'s. With too much rage it won't work at higher %'s, but can KO even earlier.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I'm interested in learning DK. Usually, I don't like characters that get combo-food. That may be the case for DK, but I heard that DK can still get out of combos. Is that true? Even if he gets murdered by combos, can DK get out of combos really quickly or not? I know for the fact that DK has the Up-B to get out.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
He can up-b to get out of many combos but DK is the definition of combo food. If you cant handle taking and early 40-50% every stock against some characters then you wont like playing him. By the time he gets to high % though he is a rage monster and can make comebacks just as well as lucario.

Kulty

Smash Ace
He can up-b to get out of many combos but DK is the definition of combo food. If you cant handle taking and early 40-50% every stock against some characters then you wont like playing him. By the time he gets to high % though he is a rage monster and can make comebacks just as well as lucario.
I like DK, because not only I played his games (which makes me appreciate this character even more), but I find him to be really rewarding on hit and down-taunt is top-notch. That's why I'm interested on learning him even if he's combo food. Thanks!

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Does anyone know if DK's bair is guaranteed off ledge trump? Sometimes I get it and sometimes they jump out so idk if i'm just not doing it fast enough sometimes.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Does anyone know if DK's bair is guaranteed off ledge trump? Sometimes I get it and sometimes they jump out so idk if i'm just not doing it fast enough sometimes.
It depends how quickly you grab the ledge after them. If you grab it right after them, you get a lot better frame advantage. If you grab it late, they can jump/air dodge out before the Bair can hit them.

DkDaggers

Smash Rookie
Also, sometimes they end up low after the ledge trump, making the bair impossible. I'm not sure why this is the case, but am wondering whether we could punish it with dair instead?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Also, sometimes they end up low after the ledge trump, making the bair impossible. I'm not sure why this is the case, but am wondering whether we could punish it with dair instead?
With good enough timing you could get a Dair, but that requires a pretty early trump.

Is there a list of percent ranges that ding dong will kill at?
Yes. It's in the second post.

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
Greetings fellow apes
Do you guys happen to have a list of Ding Dong kill percents on each character??

Uraniulvl

Smash Rookie
No one has answered me on this probably already been done. Is there a link to a list of all KO percentages for the cargo uair combo for all the cast. Thx

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
No one has answered me on this probably already been done. Is there a link to a list of all KO percentages for the cargo uair combo for all the cast. Thx
It's in the second post of Big O's collaborative guide.

Note however that the percent ranges do not factor in optimal DI.

If the opponent simply holds down, they'll die 4-5% later than the minimum percent calculations in the guide. Good thing is a lot of people don't know to do this and try airdodge instead.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
It's in the second post of Big O's collaborative guide.

Note however that the percent ranges do not factor in optimal DI.

If the opponent simply holds down, they'll die 4-5% later than the minimum percent calculations in the guide. Good thing is a lot of people don't know to do this and try airdodge instead.
It's Di away/ toward Dk, holding down does nothing for vertical knockback

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's Di away/ toward Dk, holding down does nothing for vertical knockback
Yes it does

Try it out yourself. My friend holds straight down and lives a few percent longer than the listed minimum kill percent in the guide.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Yes it does

Try it out yourself. My friend holds straight down and lives a few percent longer than the listed minimum kill percent in the guide.
You're just mistiming the delayed act uair, it can kill Mario at 73 but 75 is a much more viable option anyway.

Again I restate holding down does nothing for vertical knockback

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
GCT up air is supposed to work at higher %s than ACT up air correct? I cant seem to get GCT to combo with a double jump in training mode even pressing the buttons as fast as i can. I can get it to combo after a single jump but not if i have to double jump to reach them. Can someone give me some insight?

Edit: Nvm i finally got it the timing is just really strict.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom