• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concerning KirbyKaze and Unknown522

Status
Not open for further replies.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
So, as many of you are aware there has been a situation going on between Kirbykaze and Unknown522. The Toronto community had a pretty long talk about how we were going to handle the situation. We tried to include as many relevant members of the community (see: drivers, hosts, TOs, OG members) in the call to get the widest array of opinions and to make this as fair as possible. This was something over 20 of us were involved in (some people couldn't be in the Skype call due to other commitments but we did try to take their voice into consideration).

As a group we decided to ban Unknown522 from our scene's tournaments and large public smashfests for a duration of a year subject to his behavior. Ultimately if people want to have Ryan over to play smash, go to his house to play smash or allow him to attend their tournaments out of region we have no control over that. We can only post how we came to this point and let everyone make up their minds on their own. Hopefully they'll respect our decision and realize that enabling him to keep playing smash and continuing his current pattern of behavior would actually be hurting him (even if you find out decision cruel, etc). This was strictly done by our local community without any outside influence - I can't stress that enough. How the smash scene and other individual communities on a whole react and choose to handle Unknown is 100% in their hands.

To clarify about the ban itself - when we say subject to his behavior, we mean that we want him to get help. That's not really up for debate in terms of him being able to come back to the scene at one point. His public responses to the whole situation speaks to how important this point is. A large part of the reason behind this ban was to make Unknown522 face his issues. So if he genuinely changes and makes progress on this here was a unanimous sentiment within call that we would be willing to look at shortening this term. It works both ways though. If he doesn't seek help, doesn't start accepting responsibility, etc. then 1 year is not the end; the ban could be infinite.

As for a brief explanation on why/how we came to such a decision I'll offer this. We don't really have an evidence.zip for you guys to read. Nor do I intend to list of every possible outburst he's had. If you don't want to believe Kirbykaze when he says these things happened, unless the people who witnessed the events want to come here and argue with you or publicly give their side, you're going to have to take our word as a community that people saw the violent events in question and that we wouldn't act in this manner if we had no evidence to support our position.

Personally (and this was echoed by several others) I feel that it's hard to impose this on a friend. The fact that so many people in the community are so close to him made this difficult for us and is a contributing factor in the complacency we had to allow his behavior to continue for so long. We want him to get help and come back. That being said, a lot of us expressed a great deal of embarrassment during the call that we've let this behavior go on for 6 years. I can't stress enough that this is a pattern of behavior and not the GTA community over-reacting to an isolated incident. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbHjjU-p2bw These matches for example had to have the audio removed and music put over them as a result of his behavior. He has had outbursts in the US (throwing the chair at RoM2, his huge outburst towards Hungrybox at TGMTSBCO, choking Inui at NEC, etc.) that have been angry/violent. It's unfortunate it took us this long to act, or that it took such an event to get us into action.

Ultimately our choice is about what's best for our community. It's not hard to perceive this as us trying to police their personal interactions outside of smash but that's genuinely not what this about. This behavior has driven a lot of people away from our scene. While it took KK going public with the abuse he took away from the game in the context of their relationship to get us to act we all agreed that there was more than enough on the table to take this course of action regardless. There's no desire to get involved in their personal lives but as it's greatly affecting our community we don't have a choice.

I don't really intend to answer questions but you're welcome to inquire, etc. Maybe someone else that was involved will talk about it. I'd like to ask everyone to be respectful and conduct yourselves in a manner similar to how you did it Kibrykaze's original thread. Don't make any stupid or rude comments. I'm sure there will be a moderator or two floating around to monitor for that

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Moved this post from the GTA thread to its own. Let's keep it civilized.

If things get too crazy or I receive complaints I may have to close this thread.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
understandable, sounds like you guys are dealing with this fairly

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
sorry guys, we gotta let back in a person known to be actively violent to others in the community because someone doesn't care about it

LogiGuy

Smash Cadet
You guys are pathetic for thinking banning him is the right thing to do. You are all just *****'s, it's not your business what he does. You go there to play a game not to socialize and make friends. ****ing pussys

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
You guys are pathetic for thinking banning him is the right thing to do. You are all just *****'s, it's not your business what he does. You go there to play a game not to socialize and make friends. ****ing *****s

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"[you do not go here] to socialize and make friends"

of course not, I go here to continue my realms of wizardry, so the land shall be purified by my people

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
I can personally say that Ryan is my friend and we talk outside of smash. To me this is all pretty ridiculous.. I don't know anything about KK's and Unknown's relationship. But it has been said these are personal issues outside of smash. It doesn't really effect you guys as a community that much other than Unknown's outbursts at tournaments. Sure some people may have left because of that, but with any community, job, school, etc. Your always going to have people causing problems, making you feel uncomfortable, etc. How do you deal with that? Well for example you could just tell the tournament organizer about this problem if it becomes out of control, call the cops, etc. I'm sure with that being offered to him he will stop before it get's any worse and if it doesn't well he's out. You always got to deal with difficult people in your life and well banning a person from tournaments (particularly someone who runs your tournaments) is a bad move on your guys part which in my opinion will hurt the community more than improve it. Even here in BC we have troubles with people (which I will not name here) but eventually we talk about it and as a community we learn how to deal with that person and move on. Ideally what I'm trying to say is there is no point in banning Ryan from tournaments just because of his personal life and the few "outbursts" he has had. He's a good guy at heart and I've experienced that just hanging out with him at Canada Cup. So please enlighten me. How will this help your community more then hurt it? Who will hosts the tournaments at A&C?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"Who will hosts the tournaments at A&C?"

someone who isn't an abuser, likely

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
k guys this thread is supposed to be "info on recent developments" not "sociopaths anonymous"

LogiGuy

Smash Cadet
"Who will hosts the tournaments at A&C?"

someone who isn't an abuser, likely

The abuser is you for not letting someone play their favorite game. If you guys got a problem with people than you need to carry a gun or something, you can't just avoid situations you don't like that makes you the lowest form of human.

LogiGuy

Smash Cadet
yeah I'll be at impulse as well I'll be the black guy traveling with michael_li. See you there you racists, don't ban me for being black like you did to ryan.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
The abuser is you for not letting someone play their favorite game. If you guys got a problem with people than you need to carry a gun or something, you can't just avoid situations you don't like that makes you the lowest form of human.
do the community a favor and ban yourself. we don't need pple like you that likes to exclude pple from video games because so and so doesn't like so and so. what does unknown and kk have to do with you. mind your own business. its pple like you that there are problems because you start bringing into video games when it isnt necessary, there are law enforcements and bunch of other **** that deal with these types of things not you, just some nobody, scrub smasher who would never make it out of pools at nationals. good luck. btw im going to impulse money match me noob. toronto scrubbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbadabbbbbb
literally just "YOU'RE THE REAL ABUSER FOR THINKING PHYSICALLY ASSAULTING PEOPLE IS A BIT QUESTIONABLE"

jesus christ, no wonder he's gotten away w/ this for so long, y'all are legit disgusting

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
This thread became dumb when they said they were coming to Impulse.

Tin Man is in Australia there probably isn't going to be another Impulse lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom