• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concept: Make the Targets!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Break the Targets is a familiar mode from the original Super Smash Bros. on the N64. Target Test in 64 and Melee had unique stages for each character on the roster and Brawl had a dedicated set of stages that any character could get through. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U abandoned Target Smash in favor of Target Blast, and many have lamented the loss of this beloved mode. Most would settle for Brawl's direction for Break the Targets, as it would simply be unfeasible to make individual stages for a roster as large as Smash's has become. But today, I come with a new concept to revolutionize target smashing.

Smash has had another feature since Brawl, the Stage Builder, an overall lackluster tool for building stages to fight on... You may already know where I'm going with this. A new mode similar to Stage Builder that lets you place targets and create a stage that's expressly not for fighting.

Make the Targets!

(Old Break the Target stages almost look like they were made in a primitive stage builder, funnily enough)

In Make the Targets, you pick a character, build the stage, and place the targets in a way that they can break them. You can then upload your stages to share with other Smashers!... After you test them to make sure they're possible, of course, in a similar manner to Mario Maker (making unwinnable stages would be a big no-no). No pressure on Sakurai or the team to make unique target tests with a massive roster, no generic target stages to complain about, and best of all, more targets to break than you can shake a stick at. Of course, this concept could also extend to other modes like Board the Platforms.

I'm not used to making non-character threads, so I'm not sure how to end this. Love the idea? Hate it? Have a go.​

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes all of my yes! I loved recreating past Break the Target stages on Smash Wii U's stage builder, being able to take that a step further and being able to make complete Break the Target custom stages would be amazing. Bonus points if you add the option to make Board the Platform stages and maaaybe Race to the Finish too if possible.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ooh, I like this idea.

Would be cool if, once you made your custom target test and posted them online, other players complete them for some kind of point system. Make it so that you can select which character is required to complete the test, and have the creator validate that it can be completed before they submit.

I’m thinking Mario Maker meets Luigi’s Balloon World, and I like this idea very much. :grin:

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This is a fantastic idea. And having some online points system like what's been said above definitely adds replay value.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I posted this same idea in the discussion thread a few weeks back, but I'm just here to reaffirm that I am all for this. It'd be even more fun than the Stage Builder we already have.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Yes, yes and yes!
That and a Event Match creator were among my most wanted things for SSB4

Chiliastic

Smash Rookie
YES!! Amazing idea! Now THAT'S something that can really challenge players, I definitely think this should be a thing, it'd make me use the stage maker WAY more often.

I hope Sakurai and Nintendo pick up on this idea. Would give me Mario Maker feels, except in a Smash Bros. game. Skilled players would probably have no problem making stages and beating other people's stages, too.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Neat idea and an extension of my most wanted returning feature of the game.

Maybe you could also incorporate something like this into the actual stage builder, giving whoever manages to break the most targets, or specific targets in order, a bonus/advantage of sorts.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I would be totally on board with this. They'd be really fun challenges and would also make for fun puzzles too as some characters would certainly not be capable of completing them.

Back during the brawl hype I used to compete in Melee's target practice records on the old Nsider forums. Would love to be able to do that kind of thing again.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I cannot believe I have never seen or thought about this possibility until now. It is such a good idea and now probably one of my most wanted new modes.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
It would be such an easy think to implement too. The only flaw I see this having is people making a course that's impossible to complete. But perhaps they could require you to complete it yourself in order to submit it online.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Glad to see the positive reception to the idea!

-

Make it so that you can select which character is required to complete the test, and have the creator validate that it can be completed before they submit.
The only flaw I see this having is people making a course that's impossible to complete. But perhaps they could require you to complete it yourself in order to submit it online.
Reiterating this part of the OP that people seem to read over:
You can then upload your stages to share with other Smashers!... After you test them to make sure they're possible, of course, in a similar manner to Mario Maker (making unwinnable stages would be a big no-no).
Perhaps I should bold it...

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
while the map creation is miles better than teh one in brawl, still got a good way to go. and being able to create at least "pasable" singleplayer content with it is actually my bigger wish regarding the next smash.

If we still have it so limited, at least would be cool that we can create break the target maps.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
Very good idea! Even your naming of it is on point.

I can hear the announcer. "MAKE the targets!" Then, when you turn around to test (or play others' stages) it's "BREAK the targets!"

Top Bottom