• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Concept] Chronocide

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
I can't say that I know of any exact tutorials on Smash-style games in GM, but I'm sure that videos or forums exist on the subject. Also, I wouldn't think about assets like music right now, because that can be added much later. Right now, start small. Start building the simplest version of the game that you possibly can and then build and tweak it from there. The simplest thing I can think of is a rectangle that can be moved across a big rectangle that resets when you fall off said rectangle. From there, you can experiment with attacks and stage collisions and all that jazz. Just don't get frustrated and give up! I really want to see what you do with this idea!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well I do need to learn a lot more if I'm going to start from scratch obviously, and I'll attempt making the simple engine first unless someone magically gave me an engine to work with. It'd be ironic, funny and cool at the same time, haha.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
Well, I'm sure you could find a few really good smash engine templates all ready to go somewhere online, but you would have to figure out how to add your Chronocides and stuff like that. Plus, I you ever want to sell the game, using another person's engine may cause some problems.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Of course, but the Super Smash Bros. engine is literally like every other fighting game engine, which should mean that there should be a template for it. Games like Skullgirls, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat all are different games, but they use essentially the same type of engine.

artifice

Smash Ace
If I may direct your attention to one the other few currently semi-active threads in Developer Studio: Project Tussle. Seems like they are doing the coding side while users do the art side of things generally speaking - kinda sounds like a good fit.

Other ideas:

As an Unity developer,, some assets (plugin/add-on) come to mind that may suit your needs including, The Corgi Engine (2D), and Universal Fighting Engine (3D).

also for anyone looking at coding a physics back-end for a platform type game, I found the code for the Mario-64 HD project was well coded and commented and could be the start of a fighting game's physics engine -. (I believe got shut down so won't link it, but code can be found on their gethub).

** I has no direct affiliation with products/companies mentioned above :D **

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
artifice artifice

Yo...all I got to say is...
I might end up using Project Tussle as my main source engine if I can! I might end up using it just to make the game as a whole! But I'll take the UFE if I want to make the game 3D.

Top Bottom