• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Concept] Chronocide

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, I know without some sufficient work provided as of yet, this may be locked until I provide some effort and work into this, but until then, I might as well just tell you all, for now, about a new concept for a game using an advanced version of the Super Smash Bros. coding. This game is known as Chronocide, and I will give an in-depth explanation on to what it is, how it will work, what I want to achieve from it and what I want to market it to. Let's begin.

Team: Currently 1 Member
Radical Larry (Digital Graphics Artist, Character Design, Menu and Stage Design, Game Director)

First off, the basic description of Chronocide is that it is a fighting game akin to the Super Smash Bros. franchise in terms of coding, but Chronocide, unlike many popular fan games inspired by Super Smash Bros., has one very unique niche to it; Chronocide is going to be a game that has completely custom, 100% hand-drawn character sprites of all of its characters!

This sounds rather exciting, right? Well, this is because it is true, I am a digital graphics artist who has the tools necessary to create such stellar-looking imagery and has the skills necessary to make such a task able to be accomplished, with no money to really waste at all doing this whatsoever. Chronocide is a very unique title that will incorporate hand-drawn characters, stages, items and backgrounds; no pre-rendered images, no sprites, just pure and utter art.

So I've been considering just what kind of engine that I could make this game on and what engine would fit best with the coding that I want to put in it, and so far Game Maker Studio is the best suggestion that I have received and thus I might lean toward it. However, should there be a better game engine that can be potentially useful, then surely I will let my soon-to-be team use it.

As for the controller setup, I've been considering utilizing controls via the Standard English Keyboard and also the utilization of something akin to what the Super Smash Bros. Crusade Developers are doing, or even a Joy2Key program within the game itself. For the Keyboard, it is the same exact setup as the game Super Smash Flash 2, and that will be the default setup.

The setup can and will be customized, as it will be a planned feature for the game.

The character roster will become rather expansive within this game, but though it's not as much as the games Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it will hopefully have the same amount of playable characters as Super Smash Bros. Melee, around 26. All or almost all of the characters within this game will be made by me; and by almost all, I will state that there is a possibility that characters from friends of mine or other people alike can be considered for this game and if I like them, I will bring them into the game.

However, I may end up with a larger roster than expected, should I have the best and most reliable programs for animation creation and creating the characters as a whole.

Stages are going to be a feature in the game that I will emphasize both uniqueness and balance toward. Stages will often coincide with the characters' respective universes or homes, and I plan to have around twenty different stages within the game, all balanced out for any competitive play.

Aside from being a Super Smash Bros.-inspired video game, this game is planned to have brand new aesthetics, balance and the biggest thing I want to bring out, game play. The gameplay is somewhat similar to various other games like Project M and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, but with various additional features to the game. Let me give a small run down on it:

Advanced Air Dodging (Air Dash)
This is a direct utilization of what Super Smash Bros. Crusade has, where they had the option to have a special type of air dodge. Like Crusade and Melee, this game will feature air dodging where your character can move in any direction toward or away from the opponent and keep some invincibility frames. However, unlike Melee, where your character will be helpless, your character will actually...

Air Dodge Reaction Boost
...be able to perform an Air Dodge Reaction. What this is is acting out an attack right after the air dodge happens, similar to Link's Z-Air from Melee. However, all moves, special moves included, will share this same feature and will all be used out of air dodge. Your character will not become helpless unless a recovery move (that sends them into helpless states) is used. The downside of the air dodge mechanic is that you can only use it once and it is susceptible to reflecting attacks, grabs, grab attacks and projectiles.

Remember Melee and PM? Remember the Wave Dash mechanics? Well, you're in luck for this game. Wavedashing will appear in this game and it's the same as Melee and PM, allowing your character to move around on the stage, but there is a catch to this, as you can slide off the stage now if you use it near the ledge. This applies to platforms as well.

The Star KO and Screen KO will indeed be present in this game, but there's a special version of each when the Final Stock is reached and the opponent with the last stock is KO'd through normal means. What happens is one of two things. 1) If the opponent is screen KO'd, instead of the screen normally cracking, it will completely shatter and have a little blood from the opponent. 2) If Star KO'd, the opponent will have elongated Star KOs where death sounds are longer and more desperate.

A drastic attack is a type of hit that only affects characters when they are at definite KO damages. When this happens and when the opponent cannot avoid the attack, a Drastic Hit occurs, where the camera zooms down and focuses in on the fighters, as well as the speed going to half the speed until the attack connects. This will only be in 1-on-1 matches, not matches with 3 or more fighters, as it would be too much of a distraction.

Additional aesthetics are that the Drastic Hit includes the recipient of the hit being turned negative, as well as SFX of bones cracking, as well as background sounds fading out and fading in when it starts and ends.

The Chronocide Meter is a mandatory gauge that fills up as you attack your opponent and your opponent attacks you. When the gauge fills up, your character will be able to perform a special move known as a Chronocide, essentially a Final Smash. Chronocides are meant to be balanced out for competitive use, and will be a viable source of attacks in the game unlike Final Smashes in the Super Smash Bros. games. There will be a few known Chronocides, like directional, static and transformation to some characters. Transformation Chronocides are able to receive hitstun, but get Super Armor on their attacks and cannot be grabbed.

As it is a character move and function, it is a function in the game that will not have the option to turn off whatsoever, and the Chronocides will be balanced for it as a result...however, below...

Now if you keep your meter at the very end of a match, say your opponent has a last stock and you successfully perform a Chronocide. This Chronocide is special as it is known as a "Final Chronocide" and can only happen in the last 10 seconds of a match or on the last stock of a match. Final Chronocides show special cutscenes of the characters performing more powerful versions of their Chronocide moves, and if the opponent is within death percents, the Final Chronocide will automatically KO them WHERE THEY STAND, not allowing for them to be KO'd through the blast lines.

However...
They aren't the instant KO moves like you really think they are; Final Chronocides, as well as their normal variants, can be avoided with the utmost ease, it's just a matter of knowing when your opponent is going to land the attack or not. Now, what you said is true about Death Percent, and there are indeed some stages in the game that are large enough to let a character survive a Chronocide on last stock, but it's usually on the smaller stages that this effect, much like Drastic Hits, occur more often.

The reason why the character is instantly KO'd is relative to the stage size, their damage and how they handle it. There are multi-hit Chronocides, so they can be easily avoided at all costs if necessary by simple DI. There are some where it's straight, which can be spot-dodged or air dodged. There are also some that are transformation, which need to be out-run so that you don't get hit. If a character is hit by, say, a straight-forward or trap Chronocide on a small stage at around 50%, there's no way they can recover from it, so they are instantly defeated; there's no momentum canceling in this game either, so survival from a Final Chronocide is impossible if it lands.

On the largest stage, the max you can survive a horizontal Chronocide is around 125% damage, whereas you better be hoping you're low on a vertical version, or else it will become a Final Chronocide. Now the Final Chronocide attack does NOT happen if the opponent is under the ledge of the stage; one of two things can happen there, which are teching or a stage spike. Same thing applies on a stage that has vertical walls and ceilings at points; you can tech a Chronocide if you can, but as a special consequence if you are unable to tech, the second you bump the wall and are unable to tech (which should be relatively easy), your character will self-destruct, granted there is no ceiling at play above them. The knockback would be way too high for the character to handle, and as such, your character would die either way.

As with everything else, I am having some planned modes for the game, obviously, though for now I will give a small list of modes that I have planned, and only for offline (though a couple will be online) so far, alright?

Versus Mode!
A staple of fighting games, this will allow 1 to 6 players to battle under each other in set conditions made by themselves using the Rules. Here, you can set items, stocks and time, select your characters and pick your stages. Whatever settings you put it on will determine how the match should be played, from Time to Free For All, there will be very nice battles here.

An additional type of battle is known as a Glamour Battle, where the fighters will have to not only fight in normal conditions, but will need to do it in style. Taunting after a KO will score a half-point toward your final scoring of the game. This will be available to select alongside Money Brawl, Stock and Time.

12 Player Versus!
What is a concept for now, and will likely not be in beta builds of the game will be 12 Player Versus. As the name implies, this is a special type of battle that will consist of 12 different players on a set amount of stages made for this mode and this mode only. This is both an online and an offline mode for the game, but...

Offline, you will possibly need a special kind of adapter that will allow multiple keyboards, Joy2Key controllers and/or Gamecube controllers to be plugged in. However, Online, you will be able to connect to people, but they will need similar or same connection speeds; there should be no one with a red bar and green bar in the same room that will be made.

Online Mode
Online Mode will also be a planned feature within the game, but unlike some fighting games where you'll often receive rankings normally and don't usually see leaderboards, this game will have quite some features to it:

1) Ranking will be done by points when shown to your opponent, as well as Wins to Losses.
2) There will be a visible leaderboard to see where you rank and how you stack against others.
3) Your rank is also represented by a Letter Grade (SSS, SS, S, A, B, C, D, F), as well as numbers (ex: C-43). To increase your rank points, you will have to fight others in order to go higher. Losses deduct points while wins gain points.
4) There will definitely be matchmaking in the game, so you don't need to truly worry about people with bad connections as when you start matches, you will see what connection type your opponent has. Blue is the best, green is amazing, yellow is good, orange is bad, red is terrible and gray is high lag alert. Black is unknown.
5) Low lag in the game is what I strive for online mode, but it may take time for this to even happen, but I am wanting to strive for the game to have very, very low lag inside of online mode so that players can experience very fluid connections.

Arcade Versus
Arcade Versus is your standard Classic/Arcade mode, where you fight a group of enemies until you fight the Final Boss. However, unlike the standard Arcade mode, Arcade Versus offers you to fight bosses under set prerequisites that need to be met in order to fight them. As well, there will be Rival Battles with characters, as well as difficulty options; ten of them. Cold, Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Intermediate, Hard, Very Hard, Infernal and Hell are all planned difficulties in the game, but these aren't all guaranteed to make it into the game.

Arcade Versus+
A special version of Arcade Versus that is available after unlocking all of the characters. This mode is stuck on the Four Hardest Difficulties that surpass even the highest difficulty in Arcade. The difficulties include Genocidal, Destructive, Damnation and the hardest difficulty in the game, Demonic difficulty. There is also an addition to Arcade Versus that is in its Plus version, and that's the slot machine known as Unfortunate Luck, which is a slot that will either give you a reward or give you a penalty for the next round; the harder the difficulty, the less your luck will be.

Challenge Mode
Challenge Mode is similar to Events from the Super Smash Bros. games, where you go to set challenges that have many different settings that make it harder or easier depending on what may happen. These Challenges will reward the player with various things that are in-game and will also give consequences to the player if they fail (harsh consequences no less).

Mercenaries
Inspired by Resident Evil 4's The Mercenaries mode, this mode is special in that you are put into a rather large stage and, with 8 minutes time, you have to defeat as much enemies possible to gain a score. Consecutive KOs net you a KO Combo bonus, and there will be certain points within the match, at least every two minutes, that a special Bonus Statue will come to play on stage. Smashing this adds Bonus Time where every enemy you KO will give you 5,000 Points x the number of them KO'd.

As time progresses and enemies are defeated, Bosses start to appear, who are special versions of the main enemies. These are harder to KO than your standard opponent due to their special uses. They reward the player with a higher amount of points than normal, too. Rack up enough KOs and you will get a sweet amount of points.

Like The Mercenaries, enemies will be able to drop items such as Healing Items or Battering Items to aid you in the fight. However, like the Mercenaries, you only have one life, and if you die, you lose.

Of course, not all stages will be the same. Stages may even...alternate...

"End Statement" (Not really)

Now otherwise, I'd have something more to say, but seeing as this is all in its concept and baby stages, I still have quite a lot to brainstorm in the coming days, and a lot of potential things to show. I know as of now I do not show anything, but rest assured that I am going to be posting things such as character portraits for the first four to six characters that I will announce, as well as some sketches for stages, items and even the true concepts.

Once I get everything brainstormed and everything sorted out, I will hope to update with more info and more everything.

Now I have to ask, may you all suggest any engines and coding tools, as well as finding any coding options that may help in getting the game jump-started. If anyone has any .txt files of Project M's coding, as well as any engine and coding tools they would recommend, I would certainly appreciate it all. I'd also like to know...

Is there anyone at all who would like to join this development for a new concept?
I would need someone who can:

-Perform coding tasks as high level as Super Smash Bros. coding. (at least 3 to 15 people)
-Create a magnificent soundtrack. (at least 3 to 8 people)
-Voice act. (Definitely needs around 20)
-Create background images for the stages, which can be 2D or 3D backgrounds. (at least 5 people)
-Give potential moveset ideas and other ideas. (at least 3 people)
-Create special effects. (at least 4 people)
-Market the game, as well as its betas. (at least 7 people)

Beta tests will be performed when significant progress has been done to the concept, if at all.
I will keep you all updated, alright?

I'M KEEPING YOU UPDATED AS TIME PASSES, MY FRIENDS!

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Post reserved for Characters!

Silent Evil Representatives

Eternal Fantasy Representatives

Boundless Destiny Representatives

Enigmate Representative

Special Representatives

-

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I've had the same idea as a concept for a Smash clone, although you listed the only main selling point as being that everything is hand-drawn, whereas you should've said something gameplay related. The Smash community is here for the gameplay, impressive art style or not. I wish to see more from this in the future. I'd love to see if I could be on the team, but I'm afraid I already have my projects. Best of luck on this.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Also, I'd suggest Game Maker. Also worth mentioning is that PM's code isn't exactly something you can compile into a .txt. There would be many folders and much of it would be encrypted. Not to mention that it wouldn't be of much use anyway since you'll likely be making this project in a totally different coding language. There's also the fact that PM isn't a full game, the only coding done is there to make adjustments to what already exists in Brawl. Looking at a vanilla game (for inspiration i suppose) would be much better.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I've had the same idea as a concept for a Smash clone, although you listed the only main selling point as being that everything is hand-drawn, whereas you should've said something gameplay related. The Smash community is here for the gameplay, impressive art style or not. I wish to see more from this in the future. I'd love to see if I could be on the team, but I'm afraid I already have my projects. Best of luck on this.
I was VERY tired last night, so I have not had the time to add in what my gameplay would be like. Thank you for suggesting to put it up.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Also, from a game design perspective, I wouldn't say the way you designed "Final Chronocides" would be very fair. It really sounds like it would negate a lot of chance for a comeback, not to mention it doesn't give the opponent any say in what happens. Since they just die on the spot, there's no window for DI, teching, or other ways to survive through skill. "Death Percent" also varies based on the knockback/scaling of the move, the weight of the character on the recieving end, stage blast zones (and how you're both positioned relative to them), and DI. Just my two cents.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Also, from a game design perspective, I wouldn't say the way you designed "Final Chronocides" would be very fair. It really sounds like it would negate a lot of chance for a comeback, not to mention it doesn't give the opponent any say in what happens. Since they just die on the spot, there's no window for DI, teching, or other ways to survive through skill. "Death Percent" also varies based on the knockback/scaling of the move, the weight of the character on the recieving end, stage blast zones (and how you're both positioned relative to them), and DI. Just my two cents.
I should explain more on how a Final Chronocide works.
They aren't the instant KO moves like you really think they are; Final Chronocides, as well as their normal variants, can be avoided with the utmost ease, it's just a matter of knowing when your opponent is going to land the attack or not. Now, what you said is true about Death Percent, and there are indeed some stages in the game that are large enough to let a character survive a Chronocide on last stock, but it's usually on the smaller stages that this effect, much like Drastic Hits, occur more often.

The reason why the character is instantly KO'd is relative to the stage size, their damage and how they handle it. There are multi-hit Chronocides, so they can be easily avoided at all costs if necessary by simple DI. There are some where it's straight, which can be spot-dodged or air dodged. There are also some that are transformation, which need to be out-run so that you don't get hit. If a character is hit by, say, a straight-forward or trap Chronocide on a small stage at around 50%, there's no way they can recover from it, so they are instantly defeated; there's no momentum canceling in this game either, so survival from a Final Chronocide is impossible if it lands.

On the largest stage, the max you can survive a horizontal Chronocide is around 125% damage, whereas you better be hoping you're low on a vertical version, or else it will become a Final Chronocide. Now the Final Chronocide attack does NOT happen if the opponent is under the ledge of the stage; one of two things can happen there, which are teching or a stage spike. Same thing applies on a stage that has vertical walls and ceilings at points; you can tech a Chronocide if you can, but as a special consequence if you are unable to tech, the second you bump the wall and are unable to tech (which should be relatively easy), your character will self-destruct, granted there is no ceiling at play above them. The knockback would be way too high for the character to handle, and as such, your character would die either way.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Hey, this looks really cool.
If possible, do you need a concept artist so I can draw out your fighters? I can draw them out on paper, BUT I may also let you use them if you want.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
Interesting idea! I'm excited too see how this turns out! Out of curiosity, what program are you using to animate your characters? I was thinking about purchasing Spriter or Spine 2d, because I wanted to do something just like the project you described! You know, just for fun. Good luck with this!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Hey, this looks really cool.
If possible, do you need a concept artist so I can draw out your fighters? I can draw them out on paper, BUT I may also let you use them if you want.
Hey, go ahead and show me some of your work. Got any that you'd like to show?

Interesting idea! I'm excited too see how this turns out! Out of curiosity, what program are you using to animate your characters? I was thinking about purchasing Spriter or Spine 2d, because I wanted to do something just like the project you described! You know, just for fun. Good luck with this!
Well, they're hand-drawn in the fashion of an anime, so having Spine 2D may end up being problematic than you'd think. I'm going for the whole sprite-based style instead of just that. They look like pretty cool animation tools, but please know that I'm going for something that may allow fluid running animations (or in other words, bodies being able to twist in a sprite).

And thanks for the good luck.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
You know, I had this crazy idea of making it a Hybrid Fighting Game, but it'd probably waste too much time and effort than I'd hope it to be. Regardless, I am going to reveal some cool things very soon, but I'm hoping still that I can have some people aid in development or help me find some people.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Hey, go ahead and show me some of your work. Got any that you'd like to show?

Well, they're hand-drawn in the fashion of an anime, so having Spine 2D may end up being problematic than you'd think. I'm going for the whole sprite-based style instead of just that. They look like pretty cool animation tools, but please know that I'm going for something that may allow fluid running animations (or in other words, bodies being able to twist in a sprite).

And thanks for the good luck.
Thanks. :)

For what I have in mind, I do have a character idea which I was gonna have in another game, but was kind of silent on another forum.

Meet Stacy Reaper! A sexy reaper who joins the battle. She may be like the Grim Reaper (Stacy's father) but can be attractive, fun-loving, but deadly with a sweet taste of her magic touch.

Picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2YvO4UJq8yDN0NfYUNkUng2MDA/view?usp=docslist_api

I might draw her again as an actual human, but I hope she would fit in. What do you think? I need to give her a scythe still.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Thanks. :)

For what I have in mind, I do have a character idea which I was gonna have in another game, but was kind of silent on another forum.

Meet Stacy Reaper! A sexy reaper who joins the battle. She may be like the Grim Reaper (Stacy's father) but can be attractive, fun-loving, but deadly with a sweet taste of her magic touch.

Picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2YvO4UJq8yDN0NfYUNkUng2MDA/view?usp=docslist_api

I might draw her again as an actual human, but I hope she would fit in. What do you think? I need to give her a scythe still.
I don't want to give out spoilers for who'll be in the game, but I might already have a scythe wielding character or two, so adding a third one might be overkill and would detract from originality in movesets. If I do intend to have two scythe wielders, their playstyles would actually be completely different.

And secondly, if I may ask, is this a fan character for Soul Eater by any chance?

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
I don't want to give out spoilers for who'll be in the game, but I might already have a scythe wielding character or two, so adding a third one might be overkill and would detract from originality in movesets. If I do intend to have two scythe wielders, their playstyles would actually be completely different.

And secondly, if I may ask, is this a fan character for Soul Eater by any chance?
Sorry if I was spoiling it out. Wasn't meaning that. But, I might have other ones I can come up with. :)

And yeah, I was trying to make up something a bit original but it could be a character similar to anyone from Soul Eater. But I drew her in my own style. Thanks.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Sorry if I was spoiling it out. Wasn't meaning that. But, I might have other ones I can come up with. :)

And yeah, I was trying to make up something a bit original but it could be a character similar to anyone from Soul Eater. But I drew her in my own style. Thanks.
Well just so you know, I was afraid that it would have been a fan character from the series, as I would be unable to put them in because of the "no fan characters" thing. If I include guests, it has to be someone's original character or I'd have to use permission from a company or person or pay them (should the guest be paid for).

But this is all in the blue now.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
So basically, you plan on drawing each individual frame of animation for every character? That seems like a lot of work, but I'm still rooting for you! I'm beginning to get into animation, as I recently bought Spriter, received a drawing tablet, and I'm beginning an animation class at school.

Good Luck!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
So basically, you plan on drawing each individual frame of animation for every character? That seems like a lot of work, but I'm still rooting for you! I'm beginning to get into animation, as I recently bought Spriter, received a drawing tablet, and I'm beginning an animation class at school.

Good Luck!
Yes, I'm planning on each individual frame for each individual character and each individual item, stage, everything really. I'm trying to find various things to implement such as art style, shading and more, but I might end up making it sort of like my detailed characterizations on my deviantArt. I might end up using a simple GIF animator for everything, surprisingly.

And thanks for the good luck. You too on your endeavors.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
If you plan on making use of hand-drawn animation, I'd heavily recommend checking out this presentation that one of the lead animators for Skullgirls gave at GDC.

Also, I kinda want to see something like RoA with streamlined Wavedash inputs (Air dodging out of jumpsquat), but that's just me. If Wavedashing is going to be a central aspect of the game, you should probably design around that and make it a bit easier to pull off.

Also, I'm down to be a voice actor once that part of development comes up.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
If you plan on making use of hand-drawn animation, I'd heavily recommend checking out this presentation that one of the lead animators for Skullgirls gave at GDC.

Also, I kinda want to see something like RoA with streamlined Wavedash inputs (Air dodging out of jumpsquat), but that's just me. If Wavedashing is going to be a central aspect of the game, you should probably design around that and make it a bit easier to pull off.

Also, I'm down to be a voice actor once that part of development comes up.
Checking out the presentation first right now.

Secondly, Quick Strafing in Chronocide is planned to be easy to perform at the expense of being too easy to fall victim to. Quick Strafing is like performing a dash input in the Street Fighter games, but it only happens around the jump squat frames +10 frames afterward, so you'd have to be somewhat quick to do it, and there's no invincibility to it. Thanks to it being like a dash input, it's going to allow you to fall off stage.

Third, when I find the right guys to develop the game, I'll have to see your VA skills.

Scribe

Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
So, a quick strafe is Jump + double tap sideways? That could be interesting.

And yeah, you can ledge-cancel a wavedash/waveland in Rivals of Aether, so I'm used to that.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
So, a quick strafe is Jump + double tap sideways? That could be interesting.

And yeah, you can ledge-cancel a wavedash/waveland in Rivals of Aether, so I'm used to that.
Well, I may or may not give a nasty middle finger to ledge-cancelers in Chronocide. I'm contemplating if I should give a 5 second penalty on overzealous Quick Strafers when they ledge cancel, resulting in the inability to grab any ledge, or if I should have them sling themselves quite the distance away.

And yeah, so if someone has a Frame 4 Jump Squat (which may just be frame 2 since it's a sprite game), there's a total of 14 frames (factoring the +10 counter after jumping) where the character can strafe forward or backward, similar to a Jump Cancel. I might end up making it X (Jumpsquat) + 5 instead of + 10.

Scribe

Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I didn't mean ledge canceling in the sense that it cancels immediately into a ledge grab, I meant in the sense that if you'd go over an edge while wavedashing in RoA, you slide right off instead of stopping short. RoA actually doesn't have ledge grabs.

I'd say say somewhere in the X+5 to X+10 range would be good. Maybe X+8.

And 5 seconds without being able to grab ledge is honestly way too long.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I didn't mean ledge canceling in the sense that it cancels immediately into a ledge grab, I meant in the sense that if you'd go over an edge while wavedashing in RoA, you slide right off instead of stopping short. RoA actually doesn't have ledge grabs.

I'd say say somewhere in the X+5 to X+10 range would be good. Maybe X+8.

And 5 seconds without being able to grab ledge is honestly way too long.
Well my game has ledges, so it might be the Slingshot Effect should Quick Strafing be abused for a ledge cancel, instead of the five second rule.
And I might make it X+6, so that it's more evened out.
And lastly, that would be the point of a cruel middle finger to ledge canceling, as hilarious as it would seem, though it won't be implemented..

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Status Update: Getting kind of caught up with stuff like a piece of music for another one of my projects. I'm going to attempt to post up some conceptual artwork of what I'm working on for this project, though, and it'll look very nice.

Also, I'm wondering if any of you want to see my deviantArt for some of my current works to give a good estimation on what you'll probably see. Who wants to see it?

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Hey, man. Sorry to bother you again. I was still wondering if you still wanted some more ideas of characters I have in mind.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
Of course.
Ooh! You're requesting ideas? Well, If you need any more ideas (especially for stages), I'd love to contribute! This is your project though, so I won't be offended if you deny my assistance. Again, good luck with everything!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Ooh! You're requesting ideas? Well, If you need any more ideas (especially for stages), I'd love to contribute! This is your project though, so I won't be offended if you deny my assistance. Again, good luck with everything!
I'm currently up for ideas for stages more than characters.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
I promise you, if I get a chance, I will PM you my ideas for fighters asap. I might have one over a franchise I have. But we might think about it when I talk to them.

I will give out a hint: They are together and fight like Ice Climbers, though they don't use ice.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Sweet Update!
So while I was in the process of brainstorming ideas for Chronocide, I was actually watching some videos on "Project Ganondorf" and "Brawl Minus Ganondorf", which got me to thinking that maybe I should intend to include not just one variation of a character's moveset and aesthetics, but instead, incorporate up to 3 movesets, sort of like how it's done in Mortal Kombat X!

While this would add onto a lot of work, this would bring in a lot of diversity in the cast of characters as well! And the said variations would also be in alternate costumes just to give emphasis on the change!

I am still brainstorming the ideas for everything, so this may not be 100% done for the game, and if I can't do it for the release, I'll release it as Free DLC later on if I get time to work on it! Does this sound like a nice idea?

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
Sweet Update!
So while I was in the process of brainstorming ideas for Chronocide, I was actually watching some videos on "Project Ganondorf" and "Brawl Minus Ganondorf", which got me to thinking that maybe I should intend to include not just one variation of a character's moveset and aesthetics, but instead, incorporate up to 3 movesets, sort of like how it's done in Mortal Kombat X!

While this would add onto a lot of work, this would bring in a lot of diversity in the cast of characters as well! And the said variations would also be in alternate costumes just to give emphasis on the change!

I am still brainstorming the ideas for everything, so this may not be 100% done for the game, and if I can't do it for the release, I'll release it as Free DLC later on if I get time to work on it! Does this sound like a nice idea?
Cool idea! Subtle variations of characters would cater to different preferences and styles of play! I also agree that you shouldn't do any work on that until you have the base game mostly completed. I've thought about this type of thing before as well! Also, concept art, when?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Cool idea! Subtle variations of characters would cater to different preferences and styles of play! I also agree that you shouldn't do any work on that until you have the base game mostly completed. I've thought about this type of thing before as well! Also, concept art, when?
I'll be submitting some concept art when I either get my computer fixed (the graphics card and processor are dying on me) or find a temporary replacement computer to submit it upon here.

And these aren't subtle variations to characters either; some characters will have literal moveset swaps overall, like some gaining or losing a weapon and even some heightened or lowered versions of speed, weight and more; the outfits in the variations also help make the weight since it's adding or losing them.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
I'll be submitting some concept art when I either get my computer fixed (the graphics card and processor are dying on me) or find a temporary replacement computer to submit it upon here.

And these aren't subtle variations to characters either; some characters will have literal moveset swaps overall, like some gaining or losing a weapon and even some heightened or lowered versions of speed, weight and more; the outfits in the variations also help make the weight since it's adding or losing them.
So, basically, they're semi-clones of themselves?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
So, basically, they're semi-clones of themselves?
No, not at all. The idea is to give every character their individual trait.
Say I had a scythe wielding character and decided to give them a naginata as an alternate; I'd give them a completely different moveset to boot and different attributes. Say I removed the scythe and instead gave them a suit of power instead, they'd have a completely retooled moveset and so on.

It's not semi-cloning themselves, it's actually completely different movesets for all characters per variation.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
No, not at all. The idea is to give every character their individual trait.
Say I had a scythe wielding character and decided to give them a naginata as an alternate; I'd give them a completely different moveset to boot and different attributes. Say I removed the scythe and instead gave them a suit of power instead, they'd have a completely retooled moveset and so on.

It's not semi-cloning themselves, it's actually completely different movesets for all characters per variation.
Okay, but why not just give those movesets to completely new characters? In your original description, you said that you planned on having 30-35 characters, give or take. With that kind of roster, I'd spread out those moves across the cast a bit. Besides, it doesn't make sense that a character would have a completely different fighting style just by switching weapons. Even scythes and naginatas are pretty similar in concept ( as weapons go ), so it would make sense that this character would have mostly the same moves, with a few minor differences. For example, due to the size and shape of the scythe, the character would be able to hit at a greater range with more power, but at the cost of less speed and more weight, as a scythe wouldn't be the easiest to wield. However, with a naginata, the fighter would have the same basic attacks, but with less power and more agility. Of course, some attacks would vary, as scythes are slicey-slicey and naginatas are stabby-stabby, which is why I would make the variations semi-clone status. Those are just my thoughts, though, so if you really feel that each character should have very different movesets, then by all means, good luck to ya!

Top Bottom