• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Computer Scientists - Looking for Advice

Yardo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've never started a thread, so I'm hoping not to break any rules. >_>

I'm graduating this Spring with a BS in Computer Scientist, and I've been spending lots of energy trying to find a job in my field. I enjoy programming, and I would like to do something like software/firmware/application development. Most of my coding experience is C++ and Java, but I know Assembly Language, some JavaScript/HTML/CSS, SQL, and some random other languages.

Unfortunately, I do not have much experience in actual software development. I previously worked an internship doing search engine marketing (PPC/SEO) stuff, and I have not done anything terribly exciting on my own, like creating an app.

I have some plan B's for after graduation, but I'd like to find something better, especially since I'm married and starting a family.

Recently I learned the ins and outs of Application Tracking Systems that companies use to eliminate applicants, and I tailor my resume and cover letter to every job I apply for. I also have a LinkIn profile, which netted me a temporary job that I'm working right now during school (mostly website content research/writing). I've gotten initial interviews before, but nothing beyond that. Twice I've had to take short coding tests, which I found very difficult, because they involved one very specific thing that I did not really know about (such as C-Strings), but the logic of them would have been simple had I known how to solve the problem.

So if there are others of you out there that have succeeded in this endeavor, or share my sentiments, any feedback/advice/ideas would be appreciated. :)

Top Bottom