• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comprehensive Footstool Combo Chart

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
Introduction

When I discovered Wario could 0 to death opponents with his weird footstool combo, it merely intrigued me. I thought to myself: "sure, it's potent enough, but it's probably not practical." At the least, it was a less mundane followup after Nair. At one point, however, I started using it in tournaments. I don't know what motivated me to do so, but it's probably because I fooled around and practiced it a lot in training mode.

Time and time again, the mere 'attraction' has proven to be very effective against a large portion of the cast. That's why I made this list—to give insight to those whom are interested in applying this combo in competitive play.

By the way, I've always thought I invented the 0 to death setup, and it has always been a great source of pride to me (do correct me if I'm wrong though, as stealing somebody else's credit is wrong) Seeing my idol, Glutonny, fully utilising the footstool combo has made me very happy, since I'm always striving to help improve the Wario metagame.

Footstool Combo Chart & Notes
Typically, the footstool combo begins with a Nair at early percents. It's required to fastfall the Nair in order to link the sourspot against the majority of the cast. In most cases, it's easier to perform the footstool by shorthopping and subsequently mashing the jump button toward the opponent. Afterwards, you'd want to jab reset with sourspot Fair. Against fast fallers, it's required to fast fall with Wario after using Fair, as soon as possible, preferably (but not always.) On the other hand, it's better to wait a little longer against floatier characters before you fastfall with Fair, as Wario has a lot more leeway and they naturally travel a lot farther than fastfallers.

A lot of characters can be footstooled after an Uair at 16%, which is what the opponent's percent will be after getting hit by Wario's sweetspot Nair, sourspot Nair and sourspot Fair. It's significantly easier to execute the 0 to death combo by using Uair at 15% and above than not. Two consecutive uses of the Uair footstool setup followed by an Uair to Waft (or sometimes even half waft) will KO everything. Don't have a waft ready? It takes some practice, but Wario can Uair footstool a third time, jab reset, and end the combo with a trot Fsmash.

I understand that sometimes, you may not want to commit to using a 0 to death combo. Thankfully, Wario can still dish out a ton of damage after one jab reset by using Uair > Utilt > Uair against certain characters (which will deal a grand total of 51%!), or Uair > Usmash (45%). So far, these followups seem to be the most practical and damaging, based on what I've tested.

The 'Difficulty Level' section will be expanded upon, but I need YOUR help! If we all come to a consensus, then we'll always know what combo to use. Personally, I believe this combo is completely broken against Ike, Doctor Mario, Toon Link and Link; so busted that it has the potential to change their matchups in flatter stages.

I did not use any calculators to compile this data. This list was made by my brother and I. All conclusions drawn were checked multiple times. If you spot anything wrong with this chart, please tag me and I'll correct it as soon as I can. It should be noted that rage greatly influences Wario's combo and may help him connect it earlier than usual. I hope this list has helped you in some way. Thanks for the read!

Character | NAIR -> FS % | UAIR -> FS % | UAIR -> UTILT -> UAIR at 16% | Difficulty Level
Bayonetta | 4% (difficult, but easier at higher percents) | 28% | Yes
Bowser | 0% | 14% | Yes (requires second jump) |
Bowser Jr. | 8% (difficult, but easier at higher percents) | Impossible to connect | Yes |
Captain Falcon | Impossible to connect | 38% | Yes |
Charizard | 0% | 12% - Reverse Uair is easier | Yes |
Cloud | 0% | 19% | Yes |
Cloud (Limit) | 0% | 30% | Yes |
Corrin | 0% | 11% reversed—15% usually | Yes |
Dark Pit | 0% | 17% | No |
Diddy Kong | 0% | 30% reversed—31% usually | Yes |
Donkey Kong | 0% | 15%—easier w/o reverse (watch out for UP B) | Yes |
Dr. Mario | 0% | 16 reversed—19% usually | Yes (requires Utilt delay and second jump) |
Duck Hunt| 0% | 14% | Yes (requires Utilt delay and second jump) |
Falco | Impossible to connect | 51% | Yes |
Fox | Impossible to connect | Impossible to connect | Yes |
Ganondorf | 0% | 30% (reverse is easier) | Yes |
Greninja | Impossible to connect | Impossible to connect | Yes |
Ike | 0% | 13% | Yes |
Jigglypuff | Impossible to connect | Impossible to connect | No |
King Dedede | 0% | 25% | Yes |
Kirby | 0% | 7% (difficult to land UAIR due to height) | No |
Link | 0% | 10% | Yes |
Little Mac | 0% | 12% | Yes (requires Utilt delay and second jump) |
Lucario | 0% | 13% | Yes |
Lucas | 0% | 8% | No |
Lucina | 0% | 7% | Yes (requires Utilt delay and second jump |
Luigi | 0% | 14% | No |
Mario | 0% | 21% | Yes (requires Utilt delay and second jump) |
Marth | 0% | 7% | Yes (requires Utilt delay and second jump) |
Mega Man | 0% (a little difficult) | 31% | Yes |
Meta Knight | 0% | 24% | Yes |
Mewtwo | 0% | 5% | No |
Mii Brawler | 0% | 25% | Yes |
Mii Gunner | 0% | 15% | Yes (requires second jump) |
Mii Swordfighter | 0% | 23% | Yes (requires second jump) |
Mr. Game & Watch | 0% | 0% | No |
Ness | 0% | 4% | No |
Olimar | 0% | 4% | No |
Pac-Man | 0% | 10% | No |
Palutena | Impossible to connect | Impossible to connect | No |
Peach | 0% | 15% | No |
Pikachu | 0% | 11% | No |
Pit | 0% | 17% | No |
R.O.B. | 0% | 20% | Yes |
Robin | 0% | 16% | Yes (requires second jump) |
Rosalina & Luma | 0% | 26% | No |
Roy | 0% | 17% | Yes |
Ryu | 0% | 32% | Yes |
Samus | 0% | 20% | No |
Sheik | 0% (difficult, but easier at higher percents) | 20% | Yes |
Shulk | 0% | 31% | Yes (requires Utilt delay) |
Shulk (Jump) | Impossible to connect | Impossible to connect | Yes |
Shulk (Speed) | 0% | 32% | Yes (requires Utilt delay) |
Shulk (Shield) | 32% | 63% | No |
Shulk (Buster) | 0% | 30% | Yes (requires Utilt delay and second jump) |
Shulk (Smash) | 0% | 25% | No |
Sonic | 0% | 17% | No |
Toon LInk | 0% | 6% | No |
Villager | 0% | 5% | No |
Wario | 0% | 20% | Yes (requires Utilt delay) |
Wii Fit Trainer | 0% | 6% | No |
Yoshi | 0% | 6% | No |
Zelda | 0% | 6% | No |
Zero Suit Samus | 0% | 27% | Yes |

Last edited:

Jayr

Smash Cadet
I just came here to congratulate You for this great post. I Will test it a Lot!!! Thanks!

Top Bottom