• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Completing the original cast

Pski

Smash Cadet
So almost every character from smash 64 has had their main series villain appear as a playable fighter. Mario and Bowser, DK and K Rool, Link and Ganon, Samus and Ridley, Yoshi and Bowser Jr, Kirby and DDD, Fox and Wolf, Pikachu and Mewtwo
To round out the original cast of heroes and villains, I'd like to see Pokey Minch and Black Shadow, enemies of Ness and Captain Falcon respectively, added as playable fighters.
Am I the only one who feels this way?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Definitely, I feel they would be right at home. Although, I would also add King Boo to be Luigi’s ‘villain’, and because I just love King Boo

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd rather have Deathborn than Black Shadow, but that's mostly just because I think he looks a lot cooler. Black Shadow's design is kinda bland.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
If only Black Shadow was chosen to be Captain Falcon's clone instead of Ganondorf back in Melee. It would've been more fitting.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, since F-Zero is the only series from Smash 64 to still be represented by one fighter, we need someone like Black Shadow. Well, you didn't count Yoshi, but I'm guessing because he's more of a glorified Mario character treated as the star of his own series like how Donkey Kong and Wario are. If you want villains for all the Smash 64 characters, I think Kamek would be good for Yoshi, right?

EDIT: Oh, you say Bowser Jr is Yoshi's villain? Has Bowser Jr. appeared in any Yoshi games or is it just Baby Bowser since Yoshi's series is a prequel to the main Mario series?

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well, since F-Zero is the only series from Smash 64 to still be represented by one fighter, we need someone like Black Shadow. Well, you didn't count Yoshi, but I'm guessing because he's more of a glorified Mario character treated as the star of his own series like how Donkey Kong and Wario are. If you want villains for all the Smash 64 characters, I think Kamek would be good for Yoshi, right?

EDIT: Oh, you say Bowser Jr is Yoshi's villain? Has Bowser Jr. appeared in any Yoshi games or is it just Baby Bowser since Yoshi's series is a prequel to the main Mario series?
Kamek is definitely the enemy to Yoshi, Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr are not the same character despite the similar appearances.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
And besides, Bowser Jr. has the mushroom while Yoshi has the egg. They are not counted as the same series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Probably not, but personally I'm not interested. I'd rather see playable characters from the continuing ones.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wouldn't want characters that feel very quotaish. Goroh looks cooler than Black Shadow anyway, who's basically just a backup due to Goroh being stuck in ATs.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, now that we thought of possible villains for the N64 cast, how about the archenemies for the characters from Melee and onwards?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, now that we thought of possible villains for the N64 cast, how about the archenemies for the characters from Melee and onwards?
:ulticeclimbers: Their game's jump physics
:ultpichu: People who want the Pokemon selection to be more "badass"
:ultgnw: Tiger Handhelds
:ultrob: ET the Extra-Terrestrial
:ultvillager: Bees
:ultwiifittrainer: McDonald's
:ultpacman: The Atari 2600
:ultduckhunt: You
:ultbayonetta: The Smash community

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Eh...I like the idea of characters getting in on their own merits far more.

I mean, I understand the satisfaction of there being this sense of symmetry with Smash 64's roster, but a few of the franchises represented in Smash 64 have either ended or been left in a state of uncertainty, so digging up their hypothetical bodies in order to fill a quota would feel a bit forced.

- As much as I want Porky, I will be the first to say that three Mother characters is a tad excessive. And if I could have another favorite of mine who is actually still a thing in the modern age make it in over him, then so be it.

- F-Zero is all but dead at this point. A second rep (who isn't a clone) would be a welcome and pleasant surprise to someone like me, but the announcement would fall on deaf ears to a much larger and younger audience.

Also, if the only good argument for Black Shadow is that he could be the new Ganondorf, then I don't want him. I'd rather have Samurai Goroh or Pico. Not only are they villainous characters, as well, but they have more to offer than "Captain Falcon, but slow (probably)".

- As mentioned above a few times, Bowser Jr. isn't a Yoshi character. The mantle of Yoshi villain would go to Kamek. And honestly, I'd prefer to see what Sakurai could do with Poochy over Kamek, since I personally would prefer the role of "lightweight sorcerer" to go to Ashley, anyway.

I mean, I might be the odd one out here, since I'm a guy who'd accept Jigglypuff getting the axe if it meant a fresh face on the roster. I just don't have that much dedication to the 64 roster that other people do.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I don't know, Ultimate seemed to have a great idea of deciding not to cut anyone. I would like the next Smash game to keep Ultimate's post-DLC roster and double it. But with 160 characters, it can take a lot of time to develop... Maybe a few characters with rights issues such as Cloud could be cut. Oh, we're talking about villains for the Smash 64 characters. Hmm. Bowser for Mario, K. Rool for DK. Ganondorf for Link. Ridley for Samus. Kamek for Yoshi. King Dedede for Kirby. Wolf for Fox. Mewtwo for Pikachu. King Boo for Luigi. Porky for Ness. Black Shadow for Captain Falcon. Meowth for Jigglypuff. Yawn... Man that was too simple.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I don't know, Ultimate seemed to have a great idea of deciding not to cut anyone. I would like the next Smash game to keep Ultimate's post-DLC roster and double it. But with 160 characters, it can take a lot of time to develop... Maybe a few characters with rights issues such as Cloud could be cut.
I mean, if it was that simple, then I don't think anyone would disagree with you, haha. But taking the entire Ultimate roster and more than doubling it would take way too long. I mean, it took Sakurai and his team a little over three years to develop a game with 72 characters, some of whom are mere Echoes and semi-clones. I can't say I'm mentally prepared for a Smash game with a 6+ year development cycle, as awesome as the end result would be.

I, personally, would prefer a game that is the opposite of Ultimate: rather than focus on bringing all the old characters back, prioritize newcomers over the semi-clones and weak links, giving a lot more newcomers a chance.

To make this post relevant to the thread's subject matter, though, I will say that I'm liking the idea of a playable Goroh or Pico more and more. I know most people think "F-Zero villain" and think Black Shadow, but Goroh is the original F-Zero baddie, and Pico is a stinking ex-marine turtle alien with bloodlust. That's such a cool idea for a character, haha.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't think I'd consider Bowser junior to be a Yoshi Villain... I know i'm splitting hairs, since Baby Bowser and Bowser Junior are basically the same character ( tbh I always hated Bowser Junior for this very reason ) but Bowser Junior to me is strictly a Mario villain. Kamek is the one i'd consider to be Yoshi's villain.

In any case, I definitely want Porky and Black Shadow, though I'd definitely rather have Samurai Goroh playable before Black Shadow. But Goroh isn't really a villain, just a rival character.

Top Bottom