• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete Samus/Dark Samus Up Smash Comparison

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
People often say that the hitboxes on Dark Samus's up smash are lower than Samus's, allowing the former to hit grounded opponents more consistently. Despite this, there was no information available on which characters get hit and which don't, so I decided to make a comprehensive comparison for others who are wondering about this. I've assigned each character one of four ratings on both their standing and crouching animations that determine how easy is to hit them with up smash. I'll explain the following ratings for reference:
  • A green Y means that up smash will connect with 100% consistency or at least very close to it.
  • A yellow Y means that up smash will connect most of the time, however there's some level of inconsistency that will cause it to miss occasionally, whether it only hits on one side, sometimes whiffs the launching hit, or connects at varying distances.
  • A red Y indicates that it's extremely inconsistent and while it technically can connect once in a blue moon, it's best to treat it as if it doesn't connect whatsoever.
  • Finally, a red N simply means that the up smash will never connect under normal circumstances.
Additional notes:
  • Idle animations were not considered when putting together this comparison because they would never come into play in an actual match, especially since you have to be in such close range with your opponent to land an up smash in the first place.
  • In a similar vein, I did not push the characters to the edge of the stage in order to artificially bring their models closer to Samus/Dark Samus than they otherwise normally would.
  • For some strange reason, King Dedede and Joker would occasionally fall out of Dark Samus's up smash before the launching hit could connect, while Samus would consistently hit them without any issue. These are the only instances in which Samus's up smash is the more reliable of the two.
  • A small handful of characters who were given a green Y rating would sometimes only get affected by 3 or 4 of the hits as opposed to the full 5, but I decided that as long as the first hit connects and true combos into the launcher with no deviation, then it's good enough in my book.
Well, that's about it. It's most likely not going to be 100% accurate, so if you have any experiences that are incongruent with my results, please describe the circumstance to me and I'll make the appropriate changes if I'm able to replicate it. This post will be updated as new DLC is released.

Attachments

Last edited:

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
Edit #1: Added Terry. He seems to be very consistent across both Samuses while standing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom