• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete Grab Release List

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
The other day I wanted to find a list of all the characters we can grab release>dacus. I found it buried in the Q&A thread after some searching. So to make things easier, I compiled all the info into one thread.

Note: Keep in mind that characters who feet touch the ground will only air release if they press jump or hold up when they release.

Air Release>DACUS (not tipper):
Bowser, Captain Falcon, Falco, Meta Knight, Pikachu, Zero Suit Samus

Air Release>DACUS tipper:
Charizard, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Ice Climber (Popo only), Ike, King Dedede, Link, Lucas, Mario, Meta Knight, Pikachu, Pit, Snake, Sonic, Squirtle

Air Release>DACUS tipper when on uneven ground (i.e. flying part of Halberd):
Yoshi, Toon Link, Ness, G&W

Air Release>Dash Grab:
Lucas, Meta Knight, Squirtle

Air Release>Needle Storm:
Meta Knight, Pikachu

Air Release>Fair:
Ness, G&W

Ground Release>Dash Grab:
Lucas, Ness

Ground Release>Ftilt:
Lucas, Ness

Ground Release>Dash Attack:
Sheik

Source: http://forum.germansmash.de/thread.php?threadid=5829&sid=27737d2e4b18a1ade4e5b344c7dbd56b and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJYB1ZuhtA&feature=PlayList&p=88638F1FBD3B79D0&index=5

Characters that are in jab range after a ground release:
Bowser, Charizard, ICs, Ivysaur, Kirby, Link, Lucario, Luigi, Mario, Meta knight, Ness, Olimar, ROB, Toon Link, Wario

Note: This does not mean you can grab release>jabs. Jabs and their shield comes out on the same frame, meaning they will powershield it. For a mindgame, you can grab instead of jab. If they start expecting a grab and counter that with an attack, roll behind them and punish.

Source: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210114

Wario
You can do any aerial except Dair to Wario, but there are three combos that are better:

Infinite: Grab>Pummel>Air Release>Pivot Grab
Because you need to pummel to get any damage in, don’t do it before 40%.

If you grab him before 40%:
Air Release>Footstool>Bair>Needles>Single Needle
From there you can dash in to grab him again.

If you grab him at kill percents:
Air Release>Up Smash tipper

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Yeah I had no idea about fair on GW either. Sounds like it would be really useful if he's grabbed on a ledge.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Neat, I can delete like four of my bookmarks now, good **** jos3ph.

..Although personally I've never been able correctly do the grab release into fair on game and watch, also it might be worth noting the 2 other videos that innocent roads made showing possible grab releases on stages with uneven ground.
If you really have some drive though you could also test grab releases from the ledge. Although pretty rare but because you have your opponent feet hanging off the stage you can decide no matter who it is if they will do a ground break or air by pummeling.
Before you completely dismiss the idea keep in mind that (I recall it’s a pivot grab) allows characters to grab people off the ledge and that when someone is below 100% there’s get up ledge attack doesn’t gain many invincible frames plus the fact that characters without disjointed aerials can get grabbed as well.

edit: after having more time to look at the data it seems you did have the other videos as well. To avoid future confusing you should list which ones can be done on a normal surface then those that requires to have a lifted surface or inclined

Tristan_win

Not dead.
This is all sorts of useful. Pikachu is a guaranteed air release? HYEZ!!!!
Yup, all of sheik worst match ups meta knight, pika, and even ice climbers (when there's only one) all can be grab release into tipper usmash.

The only exception is luigi and I guess kirby.

edit: ...wait sheik can't do a air release into tipper usmash on game and watch. He can jump out of it.

edit2: the list needs to be organized better to avoid confusing.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Yup, all of sheik worst match ups meta knight, pika, and even ice climbers (when there's only one) all can be grab release into tipper usmash.

edit: ...wait sheik can't do a air release into tipper usmash on game and watch. He can jump out of it.

Yeah to bad MK isn't a bad match up.
Silly Tristan

No, I don't think G&W is screwed like that.

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
I didnt know he could. I'll remove him.
edit: after having more time to look at the data it seems you did have the other videos as well. To avoid future confusing you should list which ones can be done on a normal surface then those that requires to have a lifted surface or inclined
I'll find those vids and then do that
I can do this.

Joseph, do you mind if I add this to project know it all?
Go for it

saviorslegacy

You should include "at edge" grabs, although not too often. They do happen.

You can force a release into needle storm on Sonic, and a few others at the edge.
Wait... are you saying that we might be able to CG some people?

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman

You forgot Olimar, its pretty much Sheik's worst matchup other than ICs, my list of Sheik's worst matchups are:

ICs
Olimar
Kirby
Marth (potential counter)
Snake (potential counter)
ROB (kinda potential counter)
Luigi (play the counter game and your fine in this:))

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Wait... are you saying that we might be able to CG some people?
What I am saying is, if you manage to grab someone at the edge of the stage. You can grab release > needle storm

Depending on %, it's usually better then any throw (and sometimes it can eat their second jump if they were mashing to avoid it)

Then you get a smart player who DI's+SDI's into the needles, saves their jump, and avoids your edgeguarding the best they can.....

saviorslegacy

You forgot Olimar, its pretty much Sheik's worst matchup other than ICs, my list of Sheik's worst matchups are:

ICs
Olimar
Kirby
Marth (potential counter)
Snake (potential counter)
ROB (kinda potential counter)
Luigi (play the counter game and your fine in this:))
IC's= agreed
(Pikachu should go here)
Olimar= kinda agree
Marth= (lol, no)
Snake= (major no, the only thing giving you trouble is the nades.) (Just juggle him like crazy.)
ROB= (HELL NO, not only is he not really that hard but Saltus is extremelt easy on him and it basicallt destroys him.)
Luigi= (yeah kinda.... you can get around it though.. just space him since you can't combo him)
What I am saying is, if you manage to grab someone at the edge of the stage. You can grab release > needle storm

Depending on %, it's usually better then any throw (and sometimes it can eat their second jump if they were mashing to avoid it)

Then you get a smart player who DI's+SDI's into the needles, saves their jump, and avoids your edgeguarding the best they can.....

No, I meant the GR> regrab thing at the edge.
We can do that?

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I've only been able to do the grab release fair on GW if I dash after him and SH fair him right before he lands. It seems kind of situational, since I'm not always able to land it.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
-dead- @ Leaf still thinking Marth counters sheik

you haven't seen what I do to Marth's :p

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
btw AR>tipper on popo doesnt work suprisingly.
(unless popo gains nana properties if you costume switch)

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it does work since I've done it to ice climber's players....
same here but thats why im suprised, maybe because I mistimed the DACUS since I went straight past them and they were to high at the time for the tip to connect.
Wish I had the replay but thanks to that 3 minute time limit...grr

EDIT: same with t-link, ive done it loads of times before but I missed one a few days ago. But ignore me, I went on training and found out the problem. run>DACUS and standing DACUS have different lengths and that is what must have caused the miss.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sorry to bump this thread but i've gotten very serous into grab releases right now and I don't think the Wario pivot grab infinite truly works. I've been testing with a friend and he can jump out everytime. If you grab him out of his double jump it does work however.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Good stuff Light. I would also like to find out if we can actually zero to death Falco with reverse ftilts. I did it several times this past weekend but it wasn't against accomplished Falco players so I don't know if they were properly atttempting to escape.

I think i'm going to make a thread about all the gay things Sheik can do and maybe we can tackle each issue at a time and find out whether their myths or facts.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Pretty sure that Falco can SDI out of f-tilt at around 60% ish_ I play against a Falco regularly who manages to get out of the f-tilt or at least start working his way out by around that percent_ Would love to be proven wrong though_

Wasn't this topic being incorporated into Project: KIA_?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Depends on the character, but any listed under "Grab Release > DACUS" need a DACUS. Read all of the post for details.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
DACUS is required. The grab release distance doesn't allow a normal dash -> up smash. I think Wario is the only one that we can do that on normally, but we can do just about anything to him.

byron

Smash Apprentice
I see. I just have to practice the dacus more. I can dacus but i just hate the way u have to fight with when u change the buttons.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I recommend not even changing the button scheme and just learning to do it claw-style. When dashing, just press down on the C-stick with your right thumb and have your index finger curled over the "A" button -- which you use along with the control stick upward to perform the upsmash. It took a lot of practice, but I can do it consistently now. Much better than changing the control scheme by far.

Top Bottom