• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete Character Matchup Synopsis: UPDATED WITH FRAME COMPARISONS

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Ive tried to update this thing... literally... 15x. but, i simply can't find the motivation/desire to do it anymore. ;_; If someone wants to take over, just reply in the same format as the synopses are written in, and ill do some tweaking and post it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I would, but I lack the experience to actually make anything. All the ROB mains are moving away.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
If you give me about a week (time for finals to finish up) I would be more than willing to take over.
-Ive been active on the boards for two and a half years so I shouldnt make any stupid mistakes.
-I've comstantly been semi active but would check this regularly to update.
and I would be an honor to pay my dues to the ROBbot who has taken me so far...

-Sil

TheMike

Smash Lord
Sil, as Dull is back to the Boards, he'll probably update this. Before his disappearance, Dull told me(via PM) that he has some synopsis stuff. So, we just need to wait...

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I hope this thread has more matchup discussion for rob, some important ones are not up there yet D=. I would help out, but i really dont have much knowledge about brawl in general. ;_;

Bees!

Smash Ace
Anyone have any matchup experience for dealing with 0limar? I played a MM against FIN0 at the last tourney I went to. Can anyone offer any advice. Also he is really good on Rainbow Cruise so that doesn't help.

Trillest

Smash Ace
dsmash is a very good friend to you. It separates nana and her annoying lover quite well and i always find that nana reacts the exact same way in a few situations so just learn what she'll try to do if your f air her or throw her and follow up and gimp her. Then your either gimp her or force popo off stage which is win/win for you. Oh and im not sure about other robs but i try to save laser as it helps break them up and gives you a way through the blizz wall

Hope i helped ^^

Raffi815

Smash Cadet
I don't quite agree with olimar and kirby being a neutral match up. They give me more trouble than G&W.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I play against Kirby a lot. He is hard to hit with the laser and and his bair beats your nAir. The best thing to do is to make him approach. Kirby has to be up close to do any meaningful damage. So if you space him with fairs, ftilts ,retreating bairs and dtilts you can make it very hard for him to do anything(especially if you combine that with camping with the laser and gyro.) Also don't let Kirby take your power! It makes this a really painful match-up. As for Olimar... I want to say that it is even(slightly in Olis favor.) I got to play Fino a while back in December and at Fighter Frenzy(January) in a friendly. He gave me advice on that MU. You CANNOT outcamp Olimar of course so you have to approach. utilts are very useful for getting pikmin off of you. Also if you put a hit box out when they grab you it breaks the grab. Dtilts work really well for that. Also from observation charged gyro is amazing! It rips through their little pikmin bodies leaving ghosties everywhere. Another thing that gimping is really hard against higher level Olimar mains. I usually grab the ledge and fall to a bair or try to gimp him at lower percents with fAirs. The whistle makes it extremely hard to gimp though. and if you aren't making the most of your zoning and spacing with ROB. You will hop off the ledge and eat a fAir from him. Two more things. Good Olimars always know what Pikmin is coming up next. Because of this you need to know more in this MU (or any involving Olimar.) Knowing what Pikmin is up next in his line is good as you can tell what options he has a little more. Also ROB being heavy doesn't apply much in this MU because of the fact that Olimar constantly throwing Pikmin keeps his moves fresh. Look out for grabs at low percentages(dthrow>all sorts of ****) and FF Nair to an Usmash at high percentage(true combo?). Also watch your spacing when Olimar is on the ledge. Olimar can shark with his UpB and UAir. Also don't take your game to the ledge via planking and such.(Olimar will destroy you.) Uhhh
Also. Don't CP RC. At least against Fino. Best bet is Jungle Japes. If that is banned. Take him to Frigate maybe?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't worry about CPs against Kirby, I just go where I'm comfortable. Just camp him. You're ****ing ROB the robot, get on that ledge and camp him.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
dsmash is a very good friend to you. It separates nana and her annoying lover quite well and i always find that nana reacts the exact same way in a few situations so just learn what she'll try to do if your f air her or throw her and follow up and gimp her. Then your either gimp her or force popo off stage which is win/win for you. Oh and im not sure about other robs but i try to save laser as it helps break them up and gives you a way through the blizz wall

Hope i helped ^^
Saving lazer is nice and all, but personally I use it a lot because I find it useful when they are together. It stops them from desynching, and stops their blizzard which gyro doesnt. use the gyro as a wall to block they ice block spam, and then camp lasers behind it. Play close to the gyro cause they will go and sheild it. they will never pick it up (from my experiance) because they want the grab. Grab the ICs. i find that against any character going for the grab, grabbing them before they can do it to u is a gud technique (like falco, ICs, Kirby, except Olimar LOL). Grab, jab once, back throw, then Dsmash, chase nana with Nair, get er off the top, watch for popo coming after u with Uair.

I don't worry about CPs against Kirby, I just go where I'm comfortable. Just camp him. You're ****ing ROB the robot, get on that ledge and camp him.
and then u get Fsmashed :(

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Yea, trust me, I know from experience that the ledge is the worst place to be against Kirby. His down angled F-smash can hit us when we jump back up onto the ledge, even if you time the jump perfectly. He can d-air us, and since ROB is so easy to footstool, it's basically a guaranteed kill, even at low percents. On top of that, there's inhale, I'm sure everyone knows what happens then. XD

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, inhale really isn't an issue. lol

The rest is though.
No, what my roommate does on certain stages is he shoots me out under the ledge and then Uair/Bair me until I get stage spiked or run out of fuel. It's not that often, but it's annoying when he does it. =/

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
PS1 is the only one I wouldn't fly under if the Kirby spit me out under it, but I also tend to ban PS1 against Kirbies, so yeah. XD
lol, yea. That's usually a good idea.

EDIT: What is your guy's opinions on the Yoshi match up? I know it's random, but IL has some really strange character picks, and two of my friends main him, and I have trouble effectively camping them.

Here's the videos from pools. I won the first game against his Marth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5CMDXZhOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBqPUMyYE0

On a side note, I'm sad with my performance this weekend. I should have gotten out of pools but I choked. D:

Bees!

Smash Ace
lol, yea. That's usually a good idea.

EDIT: What is your guy's opinions on the Yoshi match up? I know it's random, but IL has some really strange character picks, and two of my friends main him, and I have trouble effectively camping them.

Here's the videos from pools. I won the first game against his Marth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5CMDXZhOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBqPUMyYE0

On a side note, I'm sad with my performance this weekend. I should have gotten out of pools but I choked. D:
I saw the Marth one as well! It was pretty good. I was hoping you would have beat that Yoshi though. The first kill on Delfino was priceless. nair into the Gyro.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I saw the Marth one as well! It was pretty good. I was hoping you would have beat that Yoshi though. The first kill on Delfino was priceless. nair into the Gyro.
haha, thanks! I thought it was pretty awesome too, lol. I'm not entirely sure what happened at the end though, I started charging gyro and I guess I wavebounced it, even though I was holding right, it was weird. =/

Bees!

Smash Ace
haha, thanks! I thought it was pretty awesome too, lol. I'm not entirely sure what happened at the end though, I started charging gyro and I guess I wavebounced it, even though I was holding right, it was weird. =/
Ya I can't say I have had that happen before. Looking at it again that is what it looked like.

Bees!

Smash Ace
why are there only like nine characters in this thread?
Inorite? Last MU discussion was I think last July.
Because Dull stopped posting before this was done and no one else has taken the wheel.
If I had more experience I would definitely do that. I have loads of Snake practice. I know how to beat bad Marths too. Apart from that I have good Lucario, Wario, Toon Link, Game & Watch(kind of), Peach and Wolf exp(I would like to talk about these MUs though to make sure I am doing it right or what not.) Apart from that...I have little experience vs MK(other than getting beat by anyone who CPs him in Friendlies.) Also I don't see why we have an advantage vs Luigi. I got 2 stocked by a Luigi in friendlies, then I went Kirby and 3 stocked and 2 stocked him repeatedly.(My ROB>My Kirby) I don't understand it. How do we have the advantage? Also MUs like Peach, Wario, Diddy, ICs, OLIMAR(definitely) and Diddy would be good.

EDIT: Also With characters changing and what not we should try to keep an up-to date MU against characters.

FU^InSmash

Smash Cadet
I don't agree with the metaknight ROB match up. I think ROB has a pretty decent matchup against him. Idk how you can say MK can gimp ROB. Please explain how that can ever happen. ROB has no way of getting gimped by MK. There are too many things ROB can do before that.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Do you want explanation? Read the OP lol You should tell us how ROB can avoid MK's gimp attemps. And the MU isn't hard for us only because of gimps, MK is much more superior than ROB: faster moves, more priority(his sword's attacks have the same priority of Falco's Blasters) etc etc etc

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
MK has an answer to everything MK has. Noob MK is better on ROB than pro MK btw lol. All the stupid stuff like spamming nado unpredictably works better than being fancy and spacing aerials. rob can actually punish that kind of stuff. off stage mk obliterates rob. rob can't air dodge out of upB and theres a tiny big of punishable lag the moment u use the move. u can just get dair'd over and over again and be gimped, and upB hurts bad if u mess up the DI just a tiny bit.

anyway, I've been learning a lot about the falco matchup after friendlies with DEHF and Xzax over the past 2 weeks. Side B is an incredibly good move to use in this matchup. No really, seriously.

FU^InSmash

Smash Cadet
I am just saying there is a lot you can do with ROBs up B that you are not doing. my friend plays tournament MKs and never gets gimped. ROB can stay back and use projectiles for his bad spacing for MK. and ROBs up-smash is the MK killer for sure! kills him at 100%. or back throw with a snipe is just too easy on MK. There are soo many things to do against MK with ROB. i honestly thing it is a close match up.

Top Bottom