• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Completed Competitive Melee (v1.2): A Mod Where Low Tiers are Viable

Mega Fan

Smash Cadet
Alright, so unlike my previous "Balanced" Melee mod, this mod actually aims to fix flaws that characters have. No nerfs were given in this mod. In addition to the low tiers being buffed a whole lot, the mid tiers also had a couple buffs to make them more viable. No top tiers were changed. The philosophy behind this mod is:
1. No attack on low/mid tiers should be absolutely useless and never viable
2. All combos that have been done with edited characters are still combos in the mod.

Download link (Character data files for v1.2)

You'll notice that a few characters aren't in the folder for the character data files. That's because I've realized that they don't need to be buffed, or it might interfere with their combo game in some way. Ice climbers, pikachu, falcon, and samus are no longer included in this mod.

Changes from v1.1
Bowser-
Double jump has increased horizontal distance, forward smash stronger and new graphic effect, down b is stronger.

Dr. Mario-
Down b distance tweaked

DK-
Down B stronger knockback scaling, up b has slightly less traction

Game & Watch-
Up smash kills much earlier and hitbox lasts longer, down air reverted back to vanilla down air (except the meteor is a spike), Side b was buffed on a few of the numbers, Down b has a hitbox that can be used to gimp, sausages given more knockback, weight increased slightly.

Ganon-
Side b (aerial) has super armor and meteors opponents, taunt hitbox knockback adjusted

Kirby-
Forward throw and back throw have hitboxes attached to kirby and he now has armor during the move (These changes make it unlikely for kirby to get counterattacked from using the throws), up throw given more knockback and functions as a decent kill throw.

Link-
Up smash hitbox sizes increased and active frames fixed.

Luigi-
Down b even better for recovery

Mario-
Cape buffed to match the huge disjointed hitbox that Dr. Mario has, Down b distance tweaked, fireball damage is now 4%.

Mewtwo-
Neutral B takes less time to charge, side b can now chaingrab fastfallers and combos into forward air at higher percents, down air now has the sweetspot only on the foot; and the leg hitbox is a meteor.

Ness-
PK Flash isn't slow and useless anymore, down air is back to a meteor since it helps his combo game better.

Pichu-
Down air has the sakurai angle now (361)

Roy-
Down air spike hitbox size increased

Yoshi-
No changes

Young Link-
Up smash hitbox sizes increased and active frames fixed.

Zelda-
Now has vanilla back air, up air knockback about the same as peach up air, side b damage decreased, grab now has the normal active frames that it should have.

Download link (Character data files for v1.1)

Changes from v1.0
Dr. Mario-
Up B goes slightly higher

Kirby-
Up air now resembles the one from vanilla melee (However it did receive a buff in BKB [30->40])

Luigi-
Fireball goes faster and lasts longer

Mewtwo-
Confusion (Side b) now puts the opponent into a tech situation nearly 100% of the time.

Roy-
Dair hitbox resembles the one from vanilla melee. All that was changed was the sweetspot was adjusted and the damage was also tweaked a little.

Download link (Character data files for v1.0)

Bowser-
Jumpsquat was shortened, initial run speed increased.
Flames (Neutral B) can be canceled really easily, Side B has super armor during part of the move (the hitbox was removed as well, only leaving the grab. Also the grab range was extended a lot), Down B now has much less landing lag, and Up B goes higher for better recovery. Dash grab stays out for longer too. The knockback on Nair was increased, Dair has been given less landing lag and the knockback angle was reversed (80 -> 270). Tilts and smashes were not changed.

Captain Falcon-
One or two moves buffed very minimally

DK-
Side B was changed to a spike (ground and aerial), Up B goes higher and has less traction so you can slide easier. Jab 1 and 2 given vertical knockback to start combos, dash attack functions like the PM/Sm4sh dash attack. Nair has been changed to be used as a combo tool and forward air has a spike instead of a meteor. Down throw is now a meteor like Fox and Falco's. Forward smash also has increased knockback.

Dr. Mario-
Down B given more knockback and aerial speed, Up B land lag reduced.

Game & Watch-
Weight increased a little
Neutral B sausages given more knockback, Side B was buffed to match the hitboxes of Sm4sh, Up B was given set knockback. Nair, Bair, and Uair were all given a lot less landing lag. Dair is now a spike, sweetspot was also readjusted. Shield size increased to cover his body. Up throw was also changed a little. Dash attack was also buffed. Down smash also doesn't suck anymore.

Ganondorf-
One less frame of jumpsquat.
Down B has less landing lag, Side B (Air) now has super armor after startup and it is now a meteor. Up tilt is now turned into a frame 4 combo starter, down tilt used for combo extending, taunt now has a powerful hitbox.

Ice Climbers-
Neutral B does more damage.

Kirby-
Weight, run speed, and air speed increased.
Neutral B star lasts longer when the foe is spit out, Side B (Ground) now does more damage and knockback, Side B (Air) has a new animation with a much stronger hitbox, Up B changed to be a spike, Final Cutter projectile lasts longer and has a bigger hitbox, Down B is stronger and takes less time to revert back to normal Kirby. Neutral air starts combos and finishers, Down air has less landing lag, and Up air is now similar to that of Sm4sh. Down smash was buffed and dash attack has more knockback.

Link-
One less frame of jumpsquat.
Up B recovery goes higher, Arrows send foes vertically which allows for a combo, and Bombs do decent shield damage. Fsmash does decent shield damage and Zair was buffed to do a good deal of knockback. Dair sends Link higher upon hit. Forward and back throw have been buffed to do a lot more knockback. His dash attack has 2 different hitboxes: One with a vertical angle for combos and another with a horizontal hitbox to send them offstage.

Luigi-
Up B now has more maneuverability once used in the air. Down b is also easier to gain height.

Mario-
Fireballs do more knockback and you can now short hop fireball. Down B has better ground mobility and damage. Also, it can be used for better vertical height. Down air now has 18 frames of landing lag and Fair is now a spike. Down tilt is really good for comboing into other moves and up tilt now has more vertically angled knockback. Up throw now is slightly better for chaingrabs.

Mewtwo-
Weight increased to 94 (The same as Ness)
Down B is better at actually making the foe immobile for longer, Side B has a little better knockback, Up b has a hitbox with WDSK (Angle: 361, Damage: 2%). Forward smash adjusted to have more knockback and better hitbox placement. Dash attack also has no sourspot. Dair is now a spike and up air has adjusted hitboxes to better hit grounded foes.

Ness-
Up B is easier to control and a hitbox was added to Ness right when the move starts, Side B does more damage and it has a lot less landing lag, Down B cancels much faster and a hitbox was added that comes out on frame 1 that has vertical knockback (similar to falco's shine). Down tilt has about double the knockback (it still doesn't do much). Down smash now does considerable knockback so that is a viable kill option. Back throw has a shallower angle and his dash grab hitbox now lasts longer. Dair also spikes.

Pichu-
Pichu's run speed was buffed so he is now the 2nd fastest character in the game. Also, every aerial has short landing lag. Self damage only is on at most 3 of his moves (I don't exactly remember but pummel and down b [hit] are probably all the moves that do self damage). And the amount of self damage was also decreased too. Fair was given more knockback. His wavedash was slightly lengthened and his weight was increased. Also, Down B now is a meteor so Pichu can edgeguard better.

Pikachu-
Grab range buffed slightly.

Roy-
Gravity decreased so he doesn't die as quick. Up b was buffed so you can angle it better. His aerials were given buffs so that they actually do decent knockback. Dair is a spike when sweetspotted. Ftilt now has a bigger sweetspot and the hitboxes of up tilt were buffed. Down smash is now extremely powerful (About as powerful as his Fsmash except the knockback is vertical and not horizontal). Dash attack was buffed to have the hitboxes actually match the animation.

Samus-
Down b was buffed.

Yoshi-
The buffs he received in PAL were applied (Weight increased by 3, up and forward smash do 1% more damage).
Side B now goes higher in the air so that you can recover after your jump was taken. Yoshi's grab and dash grab were changed so that they no longer miss thin characters (like Marth or Zelda).

Young Link-
Up B goes higher and now has a stronger last hit, Arrows now send the opponent down and away (similar to Fox's shine), and Bombs do decent shield damage. Forward smash does decent shield damage, Down smash was given more knockback, and up smash had hitboxes adjusted as well as making it slightly disjointed (so it can be used to hit the opponent). His dash attack has 2 different hitboxes: One with a vertical angle for combos and another with a horizontal hitbox to send them offstage. Dair has its hitboxes adjusted so that the fire hitbox is now the top and middle hitbox (as opposed to Vanilla Melee where the fire hitbox is only the top hitbox). Forward, up, and back throw now do increased knockback.

Zelda-
Air speed increased by a lot. Down B still sucks (lol kappa), Side B now is useful for comboing as well as it just being faster/better in general, also Up b has less land lag, now neutral B has invincibility while the hitboxes are out. Dair now has a sweetspot that spikes, up air was given more knockback and is now larger, and back air now is changed to have the same amount of knockback on all parts of the hitbox (it isn't as powerful as the normal bair, but this is used as a different option). Up and forward tilt come out faster, down tilt now is much more powerful and can be used to combo grounded opponents. Jab now has double base knockback. Side b animation is now slightly faster.

So yeah that's pretty much it. Let me know what you guys think about it. Any comments? Anything you wanna mention (like combos and stuff)? I hope you have fun with your new balanced favorite characters!

-Mega Fan
=+++=

Last edited:

NotChuc

Smash Rookie
I understand your philosophy, and I totally appreciate your massive amount of tweaking, however simply put - you don't need to change Samus or C.Falcon, as they're already both balanced and fun. Also, making more moves spikes and meteors makes the game seem more fair, but it makes for an unfun game to play against. Especially spikes. There's a reason they're so rare to begin with. Other than that, compared to your last mods where it seems as if you just added effects and spikes randomly, this mod is incredible and something to be incredibly proud of.

Mega Fan

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Balanced Melee was like almost 100% a joke mod. Kinda like Silly Melee. But whatever, my friend seems to have some fun with that monstrosity. Samus and Falcon didn't really need to be changed, I get that. Maybe I'll change that in another update of the mod. And about spikes, there are only a select few that had got them:

DK
(Because his fair was too laggy for a meteor), Game & Watch (Because I thought it would help with pillar-style combos), Kirby (Because his Up B was stupid and it needed a legitimate buff), Luigi (Because his taunt looks way cooler when it spikes)

Others that got a spike (Mewtwo, Ness, Roy, Mario, and Zelda) got one because it is a good combo finisher. All in all, I feel like it's really dissatisfying to have a cool combo going and then end it with a meteor, just for the opponent to jump out of it and ruin everything. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, thank you for the feedback! I enjoy this mod a whole lot and I hope to make more in the future. I'm glad I could make this mod and I hope to do more modding in the future. It's honestly really fun.

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
My take on this is that you're either not descriptive enough with your changelog or you just didn't change enough, because a lot of characters need a lot of changes, like Bowser for example.

I'm not going to put my time into giving my opinions on your changes because I'm working on something already, but let me give you an example:
Side B has super armor during part of the move (the hitbox was removed as well, only leaving the grab.
This is actually bad, because it makes the move be less safe since you took out the hitbox. If you miss the grab, you'll be just helpless now, since no hitbox is there to help Bowser.

There's a lot more to address here, like not explaining changes properly:
Yoshi's grab and dash grab were changed so that they no longer miss thin characters (like Marth or Zelda).
The thing here is that Dash Grab goes out of the Z-axis, not that it "misses thin characters" exactly, which is most of the cast. Normal Grab is okay, the grab boxes just terminate too soon even when the tongue extends.

Last edited:

Mega Fan

Smash Cadet
Ah yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps I should be more descriptive.

For Bowser, the grab range was extended to cover where the hitbox was, also it was given more active frames.
For Yoshi, I understood how his grab and dash grab worked, so I changed the animations and hitbox active frames to match the animation.

Sorry for not listing all the changes in the list, I'm not really sure what is detailed enough for a changelog. :(

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Ah yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps I should be more descriptive.

For Bowser, the grab range was extended to cover where the hitbox was, also it was given more active frames.
For Yoshi, I understood how his grab and dash grab worked, so I changed the animations and hitbox active frames to match the animation.

Sorry for not listing all the changes in the list, I'm not really sure what is detailed enough for a changelog. :(
Going as deep as detailing the exact amount of knockback and frames.

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
Version 1.2 to be released sometime soon.

How do I install your modification? Also, is the modification in this thread the same as your other thread?

https://smashboards.com/threads/my-balanced-melee-mod-project.449177/

I don't care if you made one or two modifications. The truth is that I want to try all of them.

After perusing both of these threads, I still don't know how to install any of your modifications. Please tell me how I can try out your projects.

Furthermore, I would like to wish you good luck in any future endeavors that you undertake.

Mega Fan

Smash Cadet
How do I install your modification? Also, is the modification in this thread the same as your other thread?

https://smashboards.com/threads/my-balanced-melee-mod-project.449177/

I don't care if you made one or two modifications. The truth is that I want to try all of them.

After perusing both of these threads, I still don't know how to install any of your modifications. Please tell me how I can try out your projects.

Furthermore, I would like to wish you good luck in any future endeavors that you undertake.
To install these mods, you gotta put an iso into Crazy Hand and then import the character data files into the program. Then you're good to go.

Top Bottom