• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Doubles Discussion

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The official thread for discussing competitive Team Battles.

I'll start off;
so, any characters you feel do well or bad in doubles so far?
From the little I've seen of the Belmonts, they don't seem to fit too well in doubles.
My teamate sometimes use Wolf, and he seems to work pretty well in teams. Occasional Laser Assists are awesome, and the Dthrow is great for combos.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Based on my experience, it was obvious that most characters that can't play well in 1v1 couldn't handle 2v2. Doubles often ends up being two 1v1s with occasional interference. If your character can't handle being alone, doubles won't cover their weaknesses.

Some Thoughts:

Jiggs was always a pain in Melee Doubles because of the Rest -> jab reset shenanigans. I imagine that the Smash U heavies will gross for similar reasons. A fast team mate can lock people in hitstun or grab the person to allow those nasty smashes to land. Buries like ROB or K-Rool could be interesting in Doubles.

Projectile characters can do as much harm as good. Returning rangs and bombs from the Links or the huge hitboxes from the Belmonts might be detrimental in Doubles.

Edge guard interference will probably be huge for characters like Little Mac, who rock on stage but suck if their opponent can focus on their recovery. Little Mac also has those powerful smashes that can cover another characters difficulty in killing with good rotation.

bertboxer

Smash Apprentice
getting a teammate to intentionally proc incineroar's revenge sounds like a neat gimmick on paper, would love to try it in real games

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
getting a teammate to intentionally proc incineroar's revenge sounds like a neat gimmick on paper, would love to try it in real games
At my first tournament (Dec 8th), my dubs partner would go Incineroar and I KKR and I'd start every match by throwing the crown back at him for a revenge proc. With more practice, I'm sure it could've gotten even better as it would make even more sense to hit him with the cannonball every chance I could.

Definitely want to hit IR with a ranged attack, though...

Doobber

Smash Rookie
The official thread for discussing competitive Team Battles.

I'll start off;
so, any characters you feel do well or bad in doubles so far?
From the little I've seen of the Belmonts, they don't seem to fit too well in doubles.
My teamate sometimes use Wolf, and he seems to work pretty well in teams. Occasional Laser Assists are awesome, and the Dthrow is great for combos.
Duck Hunt will be tough for doubles. The Duo's main offensive specials, which are Wild Gunman, Clay Pigeons, and Trickshot will be hard to land in a large melee, but maybe off-stage kills with the can can be useful. I've been using Duck Hunt in Ultimate in duos online with friends, but we have team attack off, so it's just for fun.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna call it now and say Falco's lasers and insane vertical game are great for doubles. It's hilarious to toss an opponent away, then pop a laser towards whatever your teammate is fighting, plus keeping a fighter way up in the air lets your teammate use the whole stage if they need to without getting in each-other's way. Basically, he's versatile and compliments a few different kinds of doubles matches on the fly (pun intended).

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
My friend and I play Wolf and Ness in doubles. Ness is crowd control, Wolf is cleanup. I heal him with lasers if he takes too much damage. Works pretty well. You can get some pretty fun kill setups with PK Fire.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
My friend and I play Wolf and Ness in doubles. Ness is crowd control, Wolf is cleanup. I heal him with lasers if he takes too much damage. Works pretty well. You can get some pretty fun kill setups with PK Fire.
I can totally see that working, yeah. They cam help each-other's recoveries too by interfering as much as possible with edgeguarding attempts.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I can totally see that working, yeah. They cam help each-other's recoveries too by interfering as much as possible with edgeguarding attempts.
Yep, Wolf can go deep when you have a buddy to PK Thunder you back up to recovery range.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Doubles is not separated 1v1s, that's usually the first thing people try to do when they first try competitive doubles, and sometimes you do have to do that, but is not how it should be played often. You ideally want to force a 2v1 situation and wall out the other opponent teammate.

I'm assuming team attack is on.

Fast characters like Inkling, Fox and Pichu who can creat oppenings or force reactions are good in doubles.

Cloud is still really good in doubles. Though the way he was toned down will make him less centralizing than in S4, but that's a good thing. Limit attacks are still very powerful and despite his sword getting nerfed he still manages to control space well enough.

He has been talked about too, but Little Mac does well since he can have a teammate cover his back and greatly complement his weaknesses of having poor aerial presence and linear approach. He still has those weaknesses though so he can struggle quite a bit if his teammate gets clobbered.

I know there's a Ness/Lucas + projectile character combo too. Lucario in particular doez extremely well together for the aura providing even more health to the Mother boys.

There's G&W with his bucket as well and he can absorb his teammates own projectiles with it to make a powerful attack.

Villager and Isabelle finally can do some fun stuff with pocket. A Snake can team up with them and feed them an Upsmash missile that they can pocket to make much stronger when they throw it out. Villager can chop his tree down and have a teammate Fox reflect it, then immediately pocket it to store a grossly powerful attack.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I'm not not sure if it's just me or I haven't played enough Ultimate Doubles yet but it feels worse in this game to me. The knockback changes make team combos a bit harder but my main gripe is losing my character when all four players get close. This game has a lot more hit effects, flashier moves and particles flying around. Even with outlines on I've lost track of where I am way more often in doubles in this game than I ever did in S4 in situations when everyone is close to each other.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, i've found that it doesn't work so well b/c peach's counter always faces towards the laser, and in order to hit peach with falco's laser, you need to not have any of your opponents in between you.
I get what you are trying to achieve. I wanted to know if the benefit of setting off your teammate's counter is really worth the result. The enemy won't take that much damage from it after all, so why to you try to get this to work?

Rizen

Smash Legend
In SSB4 they made it so team attacks on things like absorbers and G&W's bucket are significantly weaker. Does that apply to Incinaroar's Revenge?

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
I have some limited experience with Fox/Wii Fit Trainer. The team works astonishingly well with Fox capable of 2v1 for long enough to get Wii Fit's breathing going then wrecking while powered up the entire game. If Wii Fit gets a bury Fox can confirm into Usmash seamlessly. Wii Fit's strong buttons make her great at holding center stage while Fox can run around and cover her blind spots. Fox Nair -> WF bair -> Fox whatever works wonders in quick 2v1s. Volleyball can cover more angles when combined with Fox buttons (requires a lot of coordination though). Overall the team has a lot of kill power, but dealing with disadvantage can be trouble. I need more experience to see how that goes.

Top Bottom