• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I was actually considering 1 stock games, but I think at that point we're better off just banning Steve instead of messing with all the games Steve is not in. I don't think people want to go back to 2 stock games just to slightly nerf Steve. I doubt it would even nerf him all that much.
One stock games makes no sense even with the context of nerfing Steve. Steve already has easy 0 to 70’s and then death, so 2 to 3 mistakes is all it takes for Steve to kill you. If anything I would consider it a buff with how easily Steve can take a stock.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
One stock games makes no sense even with the context of nerfing Steve. Steve already has easy 0 to 70’s and then death, so 2 to 3 mistakes is all it takes for Steve to kill you. If anything I would consider it a buff with how easily Steve can take a stock.
You'd never get to start a stock with gold/diamond though, and other characters can also get kills decently easily. Like if you think about Steve games right now, in many cases Steve will be at 100%+ when he gets diamond, so he opts to save it for stock 2. In 1 stock games he wouldn't have that option and would spend most of the game with no diamond.

With that being said I was only jokingly "considering" it, obviously 1 stock games is not a good idea. Either Steve will be banned or people will figure out that he's not the new Smash 4 Bayonetta. I'm hoping it's the latter, but I don't think we should be messing with the rules too much just to keep Steve unbanned.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results from Maesuma TOP #9

1. acola :ultsteve::ultkazuya:
2. Shirayuki :ultinkling:
3. Tsumusuto :ultdoc:
4. Hero :ultbowser::ultsnake::ultdk:
5. ProtoBanham :ultlucina::ultminmin
5. KEN :ultsonic::ultsephiroth:
7. Masha :ultwolf:
7. Atelier :ultwolf::ultpokemontrainerf:
9. Sigma :ulttoonlink:
9. Toura :ultsamus:
9. Rarikkusu :ultdk::ultalex::ultminmin
9. Gackt :ultness:
13. Jogibu :ultfalcon:
13. Ryuoh :ultdiddy:
13. Omuatsu :ultminmin
13. Nao :ultmario:
17. Oi, George :ultminmin
17. Masashi :ultcloud:
17. Eim :ultsheik:
17. showers :ultinklingboy:
17. alice :ultroy:
17. Akakikusu :ulthero4:
17. Sylph :ultsheik:
17. Munekin :ultryu:

First time we've had Inkling results in a while, and these are the best results for Dr Mario flat out period.

Last edited:

superjm

Smash Apprentice
Has acola been using Kazuya a lot?
He uses it against problem matchups and as a counter-counterpick to his opponents picking FD. Most interesting use I saw in this tournament was in his set with Tsumusuto where they went FD in first game and Tsu actually had a solid gameplan in keeping acola's Steve out and converting his combo chances and won game 1 fairly comfortably. He lost the next two cause Doc can't recover (shame) so he counterpicked for FD again and, well, it wasn't really horrible per se against the Kazuya but he still got rocked.

And then Shirayuki got the Kazuya when counterpicking FD in game 3 and that game was a total beatdown. It's kind of hilarious how acola just has that Kazuya to bring out whenever, having a Steve main and Kazuya secondary is the most 2022 Ultimate thing possible lol.

EDIT - Other notable thing about this tournament is Miya having by far his worst placement (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong), getting knocked into losers in pools by Masha and then getting knocked out for 49th by Kome (who was knocked out a match later incidentally) in what looked to be an astoundingly bad pair of draws for those parts of the bracket. Japan results can be nutty sometimes.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
He uses it against problem matchups and as a counter-counterpick to his opponents picking FD. Most interesting use I saw in this tournament was in his set with Tsumusuto where they went FD in first game and Tsu actually had a solid gameplan in keeping acola's Steve out and converting his combo chances and won game 1 fairly comfortably. He lost the next two cause Doc can't recover (shame) so he counterpicked for FD again and, well, it wasn't really horrible per se against the Kazuya but he still got rocked.

And then Shirayuki got the Kazuya when counterpicking FD in game 3 and that game was a total beatdown. It's kind of hilarious how acola just has that Kazuya to bring out whenever, having a Steve main and Kazuya secondary is the most 2022 Ultimate thing possible lol.

EDIT - Other notable thing about this tournament is Miya having by far his worst placement (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong), getting knocked into losers in pools by Masha and then getting knocked out for 49th by Kome (who was knocked out a match later incidentally) in what looked to be an astoundingly bad pair of draws for those parts of the bracket. Japan results can be nutty sometimes.
Miya got a 65th at Maesuma TOP 8. Miya just seems to be "Very strong but inconsistent" like Kome.

BTW, unrelated. Guess who might be coming back?

Last edited:

superjm

Smash Apprentice
If Cosmos plays the rest of the bracket the way he played against Jakal then he is winning Shine for sure.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
is Bruho's 13th placing beating MuteAce the best solo K Rool result in Ultimate ever? I can't recall anything surpassing that, his K Rool play was actually inspiring with all of the expert reads and crown conversions.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
is Bruho's 13th placing beating MuteAce the best solo K Rool result in Ultimate ever? I can't recall anything surpassing that, his K Rool play was actually inspiring with all of the expert reads and crown conversions.
KirbyKid and Ben Gold have done better.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Results for Ultimate Wanted 4

1. Zackray :ultjoker::ultrob:
2. Shuton :ultolimar::ultmythra:
3. Tea :ultpacman::ultkazuya:
4. Riddles :ult_terry::ultkazuya:
5. Sisqui :ultdarksamus:
5. Asimo :ultryu:
7. Chag :ultpalutena:
7. BassMage :ultjigglypuff:
9. Supahsemmie :ultyounglink:
9. Space :ultinkling::ultmythra:
9. Mr. R :ultsheik: :ultroy: :ultchrom:
9. Fatality :ultfalcon:
13. Ramses :ultshulk:
13. Tarik :ultgreninja: :ultkazuya:
13. AndresFn :ultken: :ultryu: :ult_terry:
13. takera :ultken:
17. Jdizzle :ultyounglink:
17. Tropped :ultsteve:
17. moufi :ultwario:
17. Gogesta :ultbowser:
17. Polinomis :ultlucario:
17. Tomberry :ultsnake:
17. Sriks :ultsephiroth:
17. RaZe :ultlink: :ultpit:

superjm

Smash Apprentice
Zackray really just came back and started winning majors like nothing ever happened.

On another note, it looks like yesterday's Cosmos carried over just fine to today, reverse 3-0'ing both Tweek and Zomba to get into Grand Finals. All he has to do now is not lose to Zomba twice if they meet again and the Summit spot is his.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Ladies and gentlemen.
At long last, after so long of narrowly winning a major, including a recent string of underperforming in major tournaments, Cosmos :ultpyra: has finally claimed a major win, while also getting a Summit slot at the same.

What can I say outside of the fact that the Green Goblin did not claim Cosmos' soul today.

Unfortunately, Zomba:ultrob: was playing immaculately as well, but total victory just barely escaped his fingertips. He still has more opportunities to get a Summit slot at a later time.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Wasn't Glitch - Infinite a major?
Welp. Completely forgot about that.

Fun fact: while double checking, I found out that apparently, Glitch - Infinite was the first time Steve placed top 8 at a major event. Not really anything worth discussing, but I found that neat.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Notes and thoughts:

-Gluto DQ'ed from the Wanted bracket due to being sick, so Gluto vs. the Japanese players didn't happen.
-Zackray vs. Shuton was very close; it went to game 10 grands and was a 1-stock win for Zackray in game 5.

-Kazuya had a standout tournament with performances from Axiom in the US and both Riddles and Tea in France. Kazuya's neutral looks way better than anyone gives it credit for.

-Cosmos said that he won by imitating Mkleo. Aegis meta is rapidly accelerating now that Leo picked up the character again. With sparg0 potentially returning as the 16th Summit player, we might have 3 very strong Aegis mains (2 co-mains and Cosmos with solo main) competing at Summit. We'll see how well the other players are prepared for the resurging Aegis meta.

More importantly, we'll find out what the best Aegis secondary is right now - the Leo Joker, the Sparg0 Cloud, or just solo focus.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
While I'm waiting for Melee here are the results for Shine 2022

1. Cosmos :ultmythra:
2. Light :ultfox:
3. Zomba :ultrob:
4. Tweek :ultdiddy::ultwario::ultpokemontrainerf:
5. Syrup :ultness:
5. AxiomXL :ultkazuya::ultwario:
7. Jakal :ultwolf:
7. ESAM :ultpikachu:
9. Doorstop :ultzss: :ultpokemontrainerf:
9. Beast :ultpokemontrainerf:
9. Marss :ultzss::ultjoker:
9. Anarchy :ultgreninja:
13. Soar :ultsteve: :ultpokemontrainerf: :ultsephiroth: :ultmetaknight:
13. Bruho :ultkrool:
13. naitosharp :ultzss: :ultsheik: :ultjoker:
13. DDog :ultenderman:
17. TheActuary :ultzelda:
17. Ling :ultpeach::ultdaisy: :ultkingdedede:
17. yosi :ulticeclimbers: :ultsheik:
17. Craftis :ultsonic:
17. Blacktwins13 :ultmythra::ultpichu:
17. SuperGirlKels :ultsonic:
17. Blank :ultdaisy:
17. BlitzLuigy :ultmegaman:

Surprisingly good tourney for Pokemon Trainer, holy moly. Plus also Atelier making top 8 at Maesuma TOP 9. Is this 2019?

blackghost

Smash Champion
feel pretty confident saying axiom is the best kazuya in the world atm. riddles rarely uses the character, tea trolls (although he could prob main him and see good results. axiom is playing a more complete character and not just go for combo every time.

ice climbers are quietly gathering some interesting placements. anyone that knows about their community and meta, can that be confirmed or traced

superjm

Smash Apprentice
feel pretty confident saying axiom is the best kazuya in the world atm. riddles rarely uses the character, tea trolls (although he could prob main him and see good results. axiom is playing a more complete character and not just go for combo every time.

ice climbers are quietly gathering some interesting placements. anyone that knows about their community and meta, can that be confirmed or traced
In the ESAM match, the way he weaved around Pikachu's hitboxes both in neutral and offstage was insanely precise. Especially offstage, because if Pika can't edgeguard Kazuya then his only option for killing is to engage Kazuya directly, and we saw how that went more often than not. I certainly don't think Riddles or the Japanese Kazuyas would fare nearly as well in that kind of disadvantage state.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
What do people here think about Sephiroth? Not that results is everything but Sephiroth is #9 on OrionStats and he has a few (most notably KEN and Ned, Tweek brings him out occasionally) top players doing well at big tournaments. The characters have some noticeable weakness but also some oppressive strengths, I think that if he got wing like 20% earlier he'd be easily top tier. Right now it's somewhat awkward at times, he might get wing just before he's about to die, sometimes he'll even die without wing.

Right now I have him around top 25 personally but I think he has potential to move up. I'd like to see what Sephiroth players can do and if they can make up for his weaknesses in order to keep some consistency.

Sephiroth also has an interesting matchup against Steve, forcing Steve players to mixup their Minecart usage more or die at 40% since Scintilla kills disgustingly early. I still don't think he wins the matchup but it could be even.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What do people here think about Sephiroth? Not that results is everything but Sephiroth is #9 on OrionStats and he has a few (most notably KEN and Ned, Tweek brings him out occasionally) top players doing well at big tournaments. The characters have some noticeable weakness but also some oppressive strengths, I think that if he got wing like 20% earlier he'd be easily top tier. Right now it's somewhat awkward at times, he might get wing just before he's about to die, sometimes he'll even die without wing.

Right now I have him around top 25 personally but I think he has potential to move up. I'd like to see what Sephiroth players can do and if they can make up for his weaknesses in order to keep some consistency.

Sephiroth also has an interesting matchup against Steve, forcing Steve players to mixup their Minecart usage more or die at 40% since Scintilla kills disgustingly early. I still don't think he wins the matchup but it could be even.
I feel like Sephiroth could be top tier if he wasn't literally as light as Kirby. But being light is very detrimental especially to a tall character like Sephiroth. I play Young Link, who's heavier than Sephiroth, and he dies at 80% quite a bit. A big factor in balancing otherwise excellent characters is making them very light. Sephiroth has good kill power but not good enough to completely make up for his weight. He also has excellent range but with fairly slow attacks and can be in trouble if he gets vortexed.

OT, did Light get a spot into Summit or was it just Cosmos?

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I feel like Sephiroth could be top tier if he wasn't literally as light as Kirby. But being light is very detrimental especially to a tall character like Sephiroth. I play Young Link, who's heavier than Sephiroth, and he dies at 80% quite a bit. A big factor in balancing otherwise excellent characters is making them very light. Sephiroth has good kill power but not good enough to completely make up for his weight. He also has excellent range but with fairly slow attacks and can be in trouble if he gets vortexed.

OT, did Light get a spot into Summit or was it just Cosmos?
Light was already in Summit before this. He was invited.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So someone on reddit made a tier list showcasing how many times each specific character made top 8 at majors/supermajors. He did one for pre-quarantine and post-quarantine, so I thought to show you all the post-quarantine one as that's most relevant right now.

Here's the post
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/x1s6ct
This is what I've been talking about with Aegis dominating tournaments. IMO the game would be a lot healthier if Aegis, Steve and ROB got nerfs.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
So someone on reddit made a tier list showcasing how many times each specific character made top 8 at majors/supermajors. He did one for pre-quarantine and post-quarantine, so I thought to show you all the post-quarantine one as that's most relevant right now.

Here's the post
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/x1s6ct
It seems that the list here factors in fringe secondary or full-on secondary uses as well. It may inflate some character numbers like Kazuya and especially Sora. Aegis would likely still be among the highest, if not the highest on the list, but I think her numbers are also inflated by this factor as well.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
30+ Aegis if that's not best character in the game I dunno what to say lol
I imagine Steve would've been doing quite a bit better if Salem hadn't been banned. I'm curious to see what would happen if any other current top player (like Tweek, Dabuz, or Zackray) made a serious attempt at picking up Steve and sticking to it. Personally I think Steve is the best and Aegis the second best (thoug I'm not super opposed to Aegis being third best and Joker second best). If we're looking at OrionStats Steve is #1 and Aegis #4.

Interesting how Sora is at 10-14 on that list but tied for 12th worst on OrionStats. I also wonder how much of that is someone pulling out Sora for one game or one set?

Corrin 6-9 is funny (and not because of the number). Probably because of MkLeo? Peach and Pikachu at 3-5 is also interesting.

Anyways, Steve vs Aegis: I think it's safe to say that Aegis mains tend to be more established players, whereas Steve mains tend to be younger and didn't become top players until picking up Steve. MkLeo, Sparg0, Cosmos, Shuton were established players before they picked up Aegis. Other than DDee, most other notable Steve players came more or less out of nowhere. They're still good players but I don't think they have the same level of experience and fundamentals as the top Aegis players. If MkLeo, Shuton, Sparg0, Dabuz, Salem, Tweek were competing with Steve in tournaments I imagine few people would question that he's the #1.

Or I could be wrong. Perhaps it's a fluke and people will "learn the matchup" and Steve players will fall off. For now, I would say most signs point towards Steve being the clear #1 character.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Interesting how Sora is at 10-14 on that list but tied for 12th worst on OrionStats. I also wonder how much of that is someone pulling out Sora for one game or one set?
Zackray and Kameme likely make up quite a bit of that tbh. Remember when Zackray won a major with Sora 2 weeks after his release?
30+ Aegis if that's not best character in the game I dunno what to say lol
From the creator of that thread
What's really interesting about Aegis is that with most of the characters there are 1 or two players really pushing their results: Dabuz and Shuton for Olimar, Light for Fox, etc, but with Aegis there's like 4 different players with upwards of 5 or 7 major top 8's (Sparg0, MkLeo, Cosmos, and Shuton). Palu with Nairo, Lui$, and Chag is probably the only character with a comparable amount of success across more than 2 different players.
That said, pre-patch Wario had 30+ back during the 2019-2020 era, and also had 3 reps that made top 8 about at least 7 times, which was Glutonny, Tweek and Kameme, so I guess Aegis are the new pre-patch Wario mixed with a bit of Palutena.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Looking at that list has me with a question in my mind.

Why is Mario always hyped as a good character? Why wouldn't you just play Fox? Wtf does Mario do vs top tiers and high tiers besides get outfootsied, outneutraled, outcomboed, and only makes headway by generally outplaying his opponents?

Someone educate me because I am stumped. Is it just his ability to convert into high damage easily and consistently; combined with FLUDD edgeguarding for gimps?

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Looking at that list has me with a question in my mind.

Why is Mario always hyped as a good character? Why wouldn't you just play Fox? Wtf does Mario do vs top tiers and high tiers besides get outfootsied, outneutraled, outcomboed, and only makes headway by generally outplaying his opponents?

Someone educate me because I am stumped. Is it just his ability to convert into high damage easily and consistently; combined with FLUDD edgeguarding for gimps?
Pre-quarantine generally has to do a lot with why Mario's still hyped up. The character back then was pretty good, with Dark Wizzy becoming a top 10 player and Kurama (known by Prodigy back then) upset MkLeo at Frostbite 2020. Then I think none of the Mario's grinded on wifi (I know Dark Wizzy didn't) and fell off. But I also think the meta grew unkind to Mario, sword characters are pretty much the meta and Aegis and Cloud are good against Mario and they're immensely relevant and popular in the meta rn. Shulk is also pretty good and beats Mario, but he's rather uncommon to fight against.

That said, Mario's damage output and combo potential is still very nasty, and unlike Fox he's not a lightweight with an exploitable recovery.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Might as well show off the run-down on who will be in Smash Ultimate Summit 5.

Invited:
acola:ultsteve:
Dabuz:ultrosalina::ultalph:(:ultminmin)
Glutonny:ultwario:
Kola:ultroy:(:ultcloud:)
Light:ultfox:
MkLeo:ultmythra:(:ultbyleth::ultjoker:)
ProtoBanham:ultlucina::ultminmin
Riddles:ult_terry::ultkazuya:
Sparg0:ultcloud:
Tweek:ultdiddy:(:ultsephiroth::ultpokemontrainerf::ultwario:)
Highest placing non-qualified player at Rise 'N Grind: Anathema:ultrob:
Highest placing non-qualified player at Shine 2022: Cosmos:ultmythra:

Edit: Forgot about the voted in players.
Myran:ultolimar:
Ouch!?:ultwolf:
T3 DOM:ultrichter:
Jahzz0:ultken:(:ultkazuya::ultryu:)

Here are our 16 players.
There are virtually no "wild cards" in this selection in comparison to past Summits, outside of maybe Anathema.
Everyone here are well known killers at the top of the world rankings, leading to hyper intense sets 24/7.

First thing to note is that this is Sparg0's first major event since Gimvitational back at June. Zackray managed to catch up quickly after a long hiatus from the game, so we will see if Sparg0 will do the same.

Interesting thing to note is that acola and Proto are the only two Japanese representatives of this event. No Tea, no Zackray, no KEN. Just these two. Thankfully these two are some of the finest in the business.
USA is represented by Tweek, Anathema, Cosmos, Kola, Dabuz, Light, Myran, T3 DOM, and Jahzz0.
Canada is repped with Riddles and Ouch!?.
Europe's lone rep is Glutonny.
Mexico is of course represented by MkLeo and Sparg0.

Final thing to note for me is that this selection is very diverse in terms of character selection.
Only real intersection is MkLeo and Cosmos both bringing Aegis to the table (and MAYBE Sparg0 if he decides to do so).
Proto, Sparg0, and Glutonny are the lone reps of Min Min, Cloud, and Wario respectively, but there is a chance that Dabuz, Kola, and Tweek respectively brings them out.
Both acola and Jahzz0 could potentially bring out Kazuya, but the Steve and Ken, respectively, is the far more common sight for both.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Might as well show off the run-down on who will be in Smash Ultimate Summit 5.

Invited:
acola:ultsteve:
Dabuz:ultrosalina::ultalph:(:ultminmin)
Glutonny:ultwario:
Kola:ultroy:(:ultcloud:)
Light:ultfox:
MkLeo:ultmythra:(:ultbyleth::ultjoker:)
ProtoBanham:ultlucina::ultminmin
Riddles:ult_terry::ultkazuya:
Sparg0:ultcloud:
Tweek:ultdiddy:(:ultsephiroth::ultpokemontrainerf::ultwario:)
Highest placing non-qualified player at Rise 'N Grind: Anathema:ultrob:
Highest placing non-qualified player at Shine 2022: Cosmos:ultmythra:

Here are our 16 players.
There are virtually no "wild cards" in this selection in comparison to past Summits, outside of maybe Anathema.
Everyone here are well known killers at the top of the world rankings, leading to hyper intense sets 24/7.

First thing to note is that this is Sparg0's first major event since Gimvitational back at June. Zackray managed to catch up quickly after a long hiatus from the game, so we will see if Sparg0 will do the same.

Interesting thing to note is that acola and Proto are the only two Japanese representatives of this event. No Tea, no Zackray, no KEN. Just these two. Thankfully these two are some of the finest in the business.
USA is represented by Tweek, Anathema, Cosmos, Kola, Dabuz, and Light.
Canada's lone rep is Riddles.
Europe's lone rep is Glutonny.
Mexico is of course represented by MkLeo and Sparg0.

Final thing to note for me is that this selection is very diverse in terms of character selection.
Only real intersection is MkLeo and Cosmos both bringing Aegis to the table (and MAYBE Sparg0 if he decides to do so).
Proto, Sparg0, and Glutonny are the lone reps of Min Min, Cloud, and Wario respectively, but there is a chance that Dabuz, Kola, and Tweek respectively brings them out.
There might be a very slight chance for acola Kazuya, but I don't think it is very likely.
You didn't mention that Ouch!?, Myran, T3 DOM and Jahzz0 made it as well from the vote-ins. Ouch is Canadian like Riddles and the other three are from the US.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
You didn't mention that Ouch!?, Myran, T3 DOM and Jahzz0 made it as well from the vote-ins. Ouch is Canadian like Riddles and the other three are from the US.
Oh crap I forgot. I will include that from the list. Still doesn't change the point about the diversity.
Actually that only enhances the diversity since they are bringing more unique characters to the table.
However my point about the lack of wild card picks isn't as strong anymore. lol

blackghost

Smash Champion
i thought jahzz0 was maining ryu and sec kazuya these days ken has mostly fallen off since ryu combos relatively well and is more consistent

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Ludwig is doing an invitational in the middle of October for both Melee and Ultimate featuring 32 players for both games (with a 30K prize pool), and these are all the players that have so far been invited.

This is the most stacked major in top talent since EVO 2019, it's essentially only missing Yoshidora (Who they tried to get and declined) and Kameme.

Last edited:
Top Bottom