• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
SNIP
[/QUOTE]
I feel like ranking the newer DLC is somewhat difficult since the US and EU haven't had much experience with them offline.

Japan and Australia (the two main regions that have been competing offline over the last few months) have very different opinions of Min Min from what I've seen. AUS players seem to have a much lower opinion of Min Min with their players seemingly thinking she's closer to average than an extremely dominating character like Japan does.

In general opinions on Steve seem to be inconsistent. Every tier list has him at a different spot. I think he's still pretty mediocre, but he falls into a similar camp to someone like Isabelle or Dr. Mario in the sense that Steve's kit is still functional enough to work well in certain matchups, but he ultimately struggles in too many areas to be an effective solo-main at high level. I feel like Steve will struggle more in the offline meta where people can play around moves like Minecart and Anvil better, and that online has inflated opinions of him a bit compared to offline.

I honestly am not sure of Sephiroth at the moment, but I think that being able to more easily parry his moves and react to side-b will negatively affect him in quite a few matchups offline. I'm not sure if I'd consider Sephiroth better online necessarily, but I'm not sure I buy into what him being noticeably worse online like some players think (although I admit I could be wrong on this).

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
Slow moving characters are obviously slow for mostly balance reasons. But slower characters still benefit the same from a more movement rich game that fast ones do. Being able to carry momentum from the ground to air would go a long way in making even slow characters feel a lot smoother in getting around a stage and playing neutral. Perfect Pivoting helps with more delicate spacing adjustments that can make the difference from this move is safe to throw out or not. I am not someone who believes you need wavedashing in a smash game to let it not feel restrictive but you can’t deny the impact it had on competitive Melee.

Even in Ultimate the way people actively avoid platforms because of how sticky they are is another barrier to movement options. Slow characters should remain slow I don’t advocate for them being faster but I do advocate for them and the rest of the cast to be able to more smoothly maneuver a stage.
In my opinion if you buff movement options you buff the faster characters more that the slow characters even if they benefits too, not to mention that because of ultimate big stages(most of them need to be atleast big enough to accomodate 8 players) making faster characters better at controlling their movement will make them better at those types of stages much more that slow characters.

In the end the smash series are games that need to compromise between casuals-semicasuals-core people, in ultimate case the game is already 3 years old we should spend better our energy in talking tech, mechanics, matchups already in the game and not daydreaming about what if we add things not in the game.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Semi-serious suggestion: Give more movement options to slower characters but not faster ones. Only Ganondorf may perfect pivot!!

It would make up for the inherent flaw of being slow without necessarily just making them secretly fast.

Incidentally, another Tweek Talks is out, and it goes into everyone's favorite competitive topic that is also extremely relevant in this current discussion: neutral game. It's a lot of good insight into how a top player approaches it, and TSM Charles does a great job explaining how better players essentially "refresh" their game states faster so they can adapt to subtle changes in the situation and adjust their plans in neutral accordingly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Make the slower and bigger characters simply receive less damage, and even knock back, so the fear of trading blows becomes a big factor through the whole match.

You simply rack up damage against Bowser, DK, K.Rool and the like easier cause they take more damage for having weight and a big body, when it should be the opposite.

If you increase their intimidation factor, with a serious risk of getting in all the time, the player playing the bigger character also has more breathing room and plan their moves better. I think Smash would benefit from such a system. Heavy armor also should be standard on most of their moves with heavy lag.

In real life, heavyweight boxers are feared cause you simply can NOT afford to trade blows with them. Or have them grab you. Make their grabs insanely strong too therefore, or give them crazy high % pummeling and actual good grab range.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Make the slower and bigger characters simply receive less damage, and even knock back, so the fear of trading blows becomes a big factor through the whole match.

You simply rack up damage against Bowser, DK, K.Rool and the like easier cause they take more damage for having weight and a big body, when it should be the opposite.

If you increase their intimidation factor, with a serious risk of getting in all the time, the player playing the bigger character also has more breathing room and plan their moves better. I think Smash would benefit from such a system. Heavy armor also should be standard on most of their moves with heavy lag.

In real life, heavyweight boxers are feared cause you simply can NOT afford to trade blows with them. Or have them grab you. Make their grabs insanely strong too therefore, or give them crazy high % pummeling and actual good grab range.
I think Bowser to some degree already fits into this.
  • Already has Tough Guy as well as additional heavy armor applied to all of his grounded normals.
  • Bowser is fast and is able to play in a rushdown playstyle against a lot of the cast. This does make his fear factor much higher compared to most other super-heavyweights who are unable to play like this.
  • A lot of characters can rack up damage on Bowser quite easily, however I think this is somewhat offset by just how heavy he is in this game. He can typically survive until above 150% sometimes longer.
  • A lot of Bowser's moves are somewhat disjointed, his up-b OOS is a great defensive option, and his throws/side-b deal decent knockback and can get his opponents away from him. I wouldn't call him a defensive character, but he has the tools to play defensive if he needs to.
I would go as far as to say Bowser is potentially the first well designed super-heavyweight in Smash (this is probably a controversial take) because he does have that fear factor you are talking about. His strengths are good enough that they make up for his weaknesses which is something I can't say for any other super-heavyweight in this game. Is Bowser still a noob-killer? Yeah. Is he still a fairly easy character to use at low and mid level? Probably. But when considering high level play, his design actually works fairly well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Characters in Smash are made to represent who they are, or provide unique ways of play, viability in any given style. It's easy to say other heavies should take after Bowser for his proven effectiveness, but the traits he has are his for a reason. It would be hard to believe the fleshier DK and Dedede or the comparatively scrawny Ridley shrugging off hits like the scaly, actually armored Bowser and K. Rool do, and Bowser's more aggressive transition only came about in the wake of his own games characterizing more as someone proud of physical might and combat prowess, while not hesitating in the slightest to use them, compared to the more calculating Ganondorf.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Characters in Smash are made to represent who they are, or provide unique ways of play, viability in any given style. It's easy to say other heavies should take after Bowser for his proven effectiveness, but the traits he has are his for a reason. It would be hard to believe the fleshier DK and Dedede or the comparatively scrawny Ridley shrugging off hits like the scaly, actually armored Bowser and K. Rool do, and Bowser's more aggressive transition only came about in the wake of his own games characterizing more as someone proud of physical might and combat prowess, while not hesitating in the slightest to use them, compared to the more calculating Ganondorf.
Ganondorf isn't the best example as he's still not really come into his own in Smash for...some reason. Also, Smash can influence the source material for better or worse. That said, Bowser in the main line games isn't usually that fast.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It varies.

-In boss fights, he's naturally quicker due to his larger size.

-When playable, he's a slower runner often for being scaled-down and balanced.
He's still not that fast as a boss. I mean, if you wanna go off that, his jumps should be amazing and maybe even his air speed, but running...not so much. Relative to his size at least.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He's still not that fast as a boss. I mean, if you wanna go off that, his jumps should be amazing and maybe even his air speed, but running...not so much. Relative to his size at least.
Have you not experienced the endings of 3D Land and Odyssey?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Have you not experienced the endings of 3D Land and Odyssey?
3D Land he was huge, so you have to adjust for size. Yeah, you may cross a lot of ground if you're as big as a sky scraper, but relatively, you still only took one step. Did say relative. And what speed he may have in Odyssey isn't blinding. It's also only one occurrence, and happened after his redesign in 4.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I tend to normally be pretty skeptical of "online specifically hurts character X" but man I am totally with you on Sephiroth. I can't think of any characters whose bread-n-butter neutral moves are as negatively affected by lag as much as Sephiroth fair/bair.

I can relate. Personally, I think it's a few factors:
  • The most unavoidable fact is, I flat out don't play the game as much as I get older. I played Smash 4 less than a third as much as Brawl, and Ultimate less than a third as much as Smash 4. Boring adulthood just slowly creeps in more each year.
  • That adulthood thing sort of spirals. It's harder and harder to find people my age to play with, and I'm past the point where there's more than a decade between me and most of these college kids. Going out of my way to play a video game with kids yelling memes I don't know feels weirder every time.
  • And then there's the whole literally-getting-older thing, the slight but inevitable decline of reaction time. You spend your life up until that point playing the game and getting better, only to now have your body be getting worse.
  • "I know, I'll play online!" Except now on top of your decline in your reaction time, you add online latency. So you are even farther away from where you used to be, playing in conditions that are frustrating independent of you performing worse.
Me and my wife both experience this love-hate relationship with the game, the fact that playing it is a constant reminder that we will never be as good as we used to be. It can feel daunting to boot up the game, like I've got some sort of bizzare responsibility to go find kids half my age and play 1000 hours--all so I can be half as good as I used to and not feel bad for missing executions.

Honestly? Deep down I have a childish anger that this game is out now, when I'm "too old to enjoy it." I actually had a dream two nights ago, that I was back in high school but snowed in with a friend, and we played Smashdown all night. I've never played Smashdown ever, except once with CPUs to just to see. It was the nicest dream I've had in quite some time.

Wow, this is turning into a downer. My general advice to people is, "don't play online." In a pandemic, ehhhh. I've relied on online to test out the last 3 DLC, and actually enjoyed it as long as I went into it with the attitude that this was better than nothing, some kind of "sneak peak." I had some fun little exploratory games with MrGameguycolor MrGameguycolor and @TTTTTsd, and they were great--you could tell both sides were playing worse than they would offline, but as long as you're not thinking of it as practice and trying to change your habits, it's fine.

As for the pros who can jump back and forth between offline and online seamlessly, I have absolutely no idea how they do it and suspect witchcraft.

The energy in this post is so compelling that it somehow lured me back from non-existence to hard-post agreement. Jeez, this is true.

Firox

Smash Master
Whoops, thought this was the social thread. Disregard.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
MKLeo recently talked about picking up Meta Knight—not for any meta (lol) reasons, but because he's been getting bored.

Yesterday, he won a Juice Box weekly going a combination of Byleth and Meta Knight, including winning grand finals from losers against Sonix's Sonic while going all Meta Knight. Given that people will talk about how mediocre Meta Knight is and how he just can't compete, I think it's kind of a big deal.

Obviously, this is MKLeo, so his skill can't be discounted. He has the best neutral there is, and he never cracks under pressure. But his games make me realize how many useful tools Meta Knight has against Sonic.

No one is as fast as Sonic, but Meta Knight still has a top 10 or so run speed, so he doesn't just get overwhelmed. More importantly, though, Meta Knight has a semi-unique combination of fast, safe attacks that cover his body in small disjoints, as well as a lot of burst movement options. Unlike other sword characters who have to compensate for either slightly more start-up or slightly more end-lag, Meta Knight is just harder to punish and space against when one of Sonic's few weaknesses is a general lack of disjoints, and he can't exploit frame data to get in easily.

On more than one occasion, Leo was able to defend against juggles with dair, and when Sonix would try to spin dash at mid range, Leo would shoot forward with a Mach Tornado and even drift it upwards if he expected a jump. Meta Knight's amazing edgeguarding also played a huge factor in Leo's win.

It should also be noted that Meta Knight won against Ned's Pokemon Trainer, but I'll leave that alone for now.

Last edited:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
MKLeo recently talked about picking up Meta Knight—not for any meta (lol) reasons, but because he's been getting bored.

Yesterday, he won a Juice Box weekly going a combination of Byleth and Meta Knight, including winning grand finals from losers against Sonix's Sonic while going all Meta Knight. Given that people will talk about how mediocre Meta Knight is and how he just can't compete, I think it's kind of a big deal.

Obviously, this is MKLeo, so his skill can't be discounted. He has the best neutral there is, and he never cracks under pressure. But his games make me realize how many useful tools Meta Knight has against Sonic.

No one is as fast as Sonic, but Meta Knight still has a top 10 or so run speed, so he doesn't just get overwhelmed. More importantly, though, Meta Knight has a semi-unique combination of fast, safe attacks that cover his body in small disjoints, as well as a lot of burst movement options. Unlike other sword characters who have to compensate for either slightly more start-up or slightly more end-lag, Meta Knight is just harder to punish and space against when one of Sonic's few weaknesses is a general lack of disjoints, and he can't exploit frame data to get in easily.

On more than one occasion, Leo was able to defend against juggles with dair, and when Sonix would try to spin dash at mid range, Leo would shoot forward with a Mach Tornado and even drift it upwards if he expected a jump. Meta Knight's amazing edgeguarding also played a huge factor in Leo's win.

It should also be noted that Meta Knight won against Ned's Pokemon Trainer, but I'll leave that alone for now.
Do you have a link to this? While Meta Knight isn't one of my mains, I still enjoy playing as him. Wouldn't mind watching for some new ideas.

Firox

Smash Master

LOL Wow, I love how much MKLeo is just flexing on everyone. "What? You guys think MK is crap? Welp, I'm bored, guess I gotta win some tournaments with MK."

Can't wait for him to start dusting people with Lil Mac and Doc Mario. Then watch people start moaning about Lil Mac being OP.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
LOL Wow, I love how much MKLeo is just flexing on everyone. "What? You guys think MK is crap? Welp, I'm bored, guess I gotta win some tournaments with MK."

Can't wait for him to start dusting people with Lil Mac and Doc Mario. Then watch people start moaning about Lil Mac being OP.
The MK in MKLeo stands for Metaknight. It was his old main in 4 before the DLC happened. And he'd still switch back to MK for Ken's Sonic in 4 for those MU reasons Nobie listed.

I wouldn't believe the "I'm just bored" line. Part of competition is cloaking your true intentions even when on the mic.

Old long-term mains are never truly dropped, they just join your board of directors.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

I have seen MK be used against a counterpick against Sonic in SSB4, and the matchup plays kinda similar in Ultimate. Both characters have their tools changed since SSB4, but I found that the still matchup plays similarly due to both characters unique traits.

The MK in MKLeo stands for Metaknight.
That is actually a common misconception. The MK in MKLeo actually stands for "Monster Kingdom", which is the name of a game store owned by his brother.
The fact that MK is also a common acronym for Meta Knight is purely a coincidence.

Last edited:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
So, since this thread kinda...well fell asleep for the past few days, new topic? I'm getting more and more comfortable with Banjo and enjoy playing him online. The more I play, the more I wonder how others feel about the competitive aspect of Banjo? Is he a viable pick?

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
So, since this thread kinda...well fell asleep for the past few days, new topic? I'm getting more and more comfortable with Banjo and enjoy playing him online. The more I play, the more I wonder how others feel about the competitive aspect of Banjo? Is he a viable pick?
I don't play Banjo, but, it seems he's one of those aggressively well-rounded characters like Pit, and so is a bit difficult to put together an in-tourney winning streak with. Like, even if he's mathematically fine, players aren't cyborgs. Using a well-rounded character vs a dedicated zoner, vs a dedicated rushdown, vs a dedicated swordie, are all very different experiences and the Banjo has to play sharp against all of them. It's hard for a player to be great at all kinds of anti-play especially with tools that are "well-rounded".

So instead just throw eggs and hope for the best.

idk.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I don't play Banjo, but, it seems he's one of those aggressively well-rounded characters like Pit, and so is a bit difficult to put together an in-tourney winning streak with. Like, even if he's mathematically fine, players aren't cyborgs. Using a well-rounded character vs a dedicated zoner, vs a dedicated rushdown, vs a dedicated swordie, are all very different experiences and the Banjo has to play sharp against all of them. It's hard for a player to be great at all kinds of anti-play especially with tools that are "well-rounded".

So instead just throw eggs and hope for the best.

idk.
That makes sense. Yeah, I'm finding him fun and rather easy for me to pick up (imo he's going from a "for fun" pick to a "secondary" pick.) Only problem I keep having is his freaking bomb drop. I can't catch them before they explode XD So, currently I've resorted to using them for edge guarding purposes or just to gain stage control.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think he's decent enough to be viable. But a glaring flaw is that he's kinda... just decent. In a game where the majority of characters, even the bad ones, have these strong standout traits. Banjo is quite fast, good disjoints on attacks, heavy with a good recovery, and projectiles are always good, which I think is enough to make him viable. Problem is he has neither a crazy combo game, nor high damage output and early killing, while most characters tend to have one of the two. Most characters can get good strings off of throws at low %, while Banjo is one of few who doesn't even have that. He lacks good kill options outside of f-smash (which is slow). Back throw is dependent on position, down throw has one of the worst buries, fair is slow and not much range, up tilt would be up there with Snake's and Wolf's but it lacks any sort of a scooping hitbox whatsoever, making it far worse. Wonder Wing is honestly kind of a poor move in my opinion. The sweet spot can kill very early, but it has so much startup, end lag, and the sour spot sends nowhere. I've been pretty certain I hit the sweet spot, only for it to somehow not be. Combine with the fact that you're limited to 5 per stock, need the move to aid in recovery, and the buffering system makes it easy to burn one now and again trying to B-reverse grenades... it's just not good enough of a move, imo. It kinda feels like they made Banjo weak in most departments with the idea being that Wonder Wing will make up for it, only for WW to be too underwhelming.

These are just my opinions, of course. I understand if others feel differently!

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
I think I can offer some insight here because Banjo is one of my mains, and I have a rather optimistic view on the character despite widespread pessimism among other Banjo mains and players who don't use him.

He's definitely an all-arounder, and depending on your mentality, this can either be a great strength to capitalize on, or a rather significant detriment that may hold you back: very little in his tool kit is particularly overwhelming such that he's able to do anything much better than another character on the roster, and he's surprisingly unintuitive to get used to despite a simple moveset design, but the versatility in his playstyle, the number of subtle mix ups he has with his grenegg item play, and breegull blaster lending itself very well for combos and kill confirms gives you a lot of flexibility in approaching different match ups depending on the predominate archetype of the opposing character. As long as you have solid fundamentals and a keen sense of situational awareness, you have many good tools that, IMHO, serve their purposes well enough in most situations and match ups you're likely to encounter.

If you're interested in learning Banjo more, here's some helpful advice that will hopefully expedite your learning process of him:

1) learn his ledge trapping and how grenegg plus egg shots cover various ledge options. This is the only area where Banjo is particularly oppressive against the majority of the cast, and stage control is HUGE with Banjo. Be sure to also capitalize on his many 2-framing moves such as dtilt, dsmash, and fsmash (in order of easiest to hardest to land, but also lowest to highest reward).

2) get comfortable catching grenade eggs in a variety of ways: tilts and aerials, plus z catching and dropping them to set up traps depending on the situation. Think of how Tweek uses :ultdiddy:and his banana, but with more constrained mix up and combo potential because of grenegg's detonation timer and, to an extent, Banjo's lackluster aerial mobility limiting his capacity to follow up sometimes.

3) learn to use Breegull Blaster for low and mid percent combos, and kill confirms at higher percents (his main one being BB > Utilt at about 100 - 120% on most of the cast). However, if you REALLY want to get more advanced, there's a new tech with BB called Kazooie Fast Cancel (KFC) that allows Banjo to true combo into fsmash and wonderwing for MUCH earlier kills. There's a lot of intricacies here, so I advise checking out Banjocord for more details, where we'd be happy to answer your questions.

4) Use a "less is more" approach when playing Banjo. What I mean by this primarily is, in neutral, don't feel compelled to always rely on grenegg and egg shots/BB to wall people out. Use empty hops for tomahawk grabs, to see how your opponent reacts and tries to punish your jumps (and counterplay that appropriately), and use your 3 jumps in a way to be ambiguous with your approaches and landing aerials, for example.

There's a lot of solid conditioning Banjo can do, but it does take time to get used to and make the most of that. Where I think Banjo players struggle most (and misconceptions about him derive from) is that they feel they ALWAYS have to have a projectile out, but they're too laggy in both start up and cooldown to spam like traditional zoners can with their projectiles. Ftilt, Fair, bair, nair and uair all have their place in conjuction with smart item play and projectile usage to pressure opponents into the corner for a ledge trap or edgeguard, and dtilt sends at a disgusting low angle for tech chases (where he can do jablock dsmash or usmash off a missed tech) when it doesn't gimp or edgeguard.

5) Practice your spacing of wonderwing to snap to ledge. Unlike popular opinion would have you believe, I think this move is better used defensively to discourage edgeguards by the opponent (or as a tech chase, mix up, or whiff punish tool otherwise), but nothing sucks more than bonking against the ledge with a misspaced wonderwing and getting hit by a Palu up smash or Lucas down smash.

For match ups broadly speaking, :ultbanjokazooie: is susceptible to rushdown because of his bad air speed making him combo food and rather easily juggled (the latter can be mitigated with diligent mix ups of your resources to a large extent, however), and poor OOS options and mediocre fdata relative to these characters, but at the same time, the majority of rushdown characters have pretty awful disadvantage states, especially off-stage, which makes otherwise quite oppressive match ups like :ultfox::ultroy::ultchrom: a fair bit more manageable. In general, you'll want to lean less into projectile heavy play and a bit more into his brawler side using your own disjoints then use your projectiles to keep them in disadvantage and apply pressure to achieve your win condition in the corner.

The only truly bad MUs for Banjo that a counterpick would be advisable for are :ultpalutena::ultpikachu: and :ultzss:; the former just having an oppressive aerial game that makes Banjo's life hell in disadvantage (not to mention an invincible bair and DA that can ruin your WW reads at times), and the latter two tending to be very slippery and mobile to make meaningful neutral wins quite challenging.

Zoners can be annoying, but they tend to struggle killing efficiently if you're playing those match ups correctly (save for some exceptions like :ultsnake:) and Banjo is quite heavy as it is so he can live a while a play a good keep away game once he gets the lead.

He also has a field day with most heavies, although :ultbowser: and to a lesser extent :ultdk: require you to play a bit more carefully.

TL; DR: Banjo is a well-rounded, versatile character with definite weaknesses (bad OOS, heavy with very low air speed, slightly lacking damage output and fdata, etc.), but can be largely compensated for with good patience and applying more of a conditioning heavy, bait and punish playstle and adapting that as needed depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing character. It's also useful to play against the player rather than the character in many situations because of the versatility he has. For viability, I think he's an upper mid tier currently with a decent chance to move into high tier if the aforementioned KFC gets developed and applied thoroughly once offline returns. Idk who your main is, but either way, I hope you continue enjoying your playtime with the bear and bird!

Last edited:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Combine with the fact that you're limited to 5 per stock, need the move to aid in recovery, and the buffering system makes it easy to burn one now and again trying to B-reverse grenades... it's just not good enough of a move, imo. It kinda feels like they made Banjo weak in most departments with the idea being that Wonder Wing will make up for it, only for WW to be too underwhelming.

These are just my opinions, of course. I understand if others feel differently!
Thanks for the advice! I highlighted this part because idk how many times online I would go for a b-reverse grenade only to burn a feather on WW >_> It can seriously get annoying, and I am still working on making sure that happens less. Still getting used to his Uptilt, and I keep forgetting that it's not like my other mains (Falco, JR, Greninja) where there is a scooping effect. Lol, it makes me look like an idiot when I wiff XD

Also, D DougEfresh , thanks for the info dump! Will need to look into those and keep them in mind! Still working on finding my personal playstyle with Banjo, but I am having a blast with the character!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice! I highlighted this part because idk how many times online I would go for a b-reverse grenade only to burn a feather on WW >_> It can seriously get annoying, and I am still working on making sure that happens less. Still getting used to his Uptilt, and I keep forgetting that it's not like my other mains (Falco, JR, Greninja) where there is a scooping effect. Lol, it makes me look like an idiot when I wiff XD

Also, D DougEfresh , thanks for the info dump! Will need to look into those and keep them in mind! Still working on finding my personal playstyle with Banjo, but I am having a blast with the character!
I wouldn't feel bad about whiffing if I was you. Imo it's very poor design that Banjo's up tilt lacks a scooping hitbox when every other character has one, and it looks like it should have one. I hope they remedy this in future patches - it's probably my most wanted buff/fix for Banjo.

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't feel bad about whiffing if I was you. Imo it's very poor design that Banjo's up tilt lacks a scooping hitbox when every other character has one, and it looks like it should have one. I hope they remedy this in future patches - it's probably my most wanted buff/fix for Banjo.
The lack of scoop hitbox on utilt does suck, but I will say that it still works well as a strict anti-air and can also shark through platforms decently on SBF/BF/PS2. Does surprising shield damage (when sharking platforms) too, which Banjo doesn't really have on his other moves outside of fair and smash attacks.

Personally, a scoop hitbox to the move would be a welcome change, but the generally conservative nature of the patches leads me to prioritize wanting minor reductions to start up fdata on key moves like fair, nair, and dtilt (from 15/10/12 to 12/8/9, respectively), reducing landing lag on bair and nair, and increased damage on nair, uair, and bair as moderate QoL changes that give a bit more leniency with mistakes and fully flesh out the versatility he has as a brawler/zoner hybrid archetype. These are all moves that Banjo uses with a good deal of frequency, and so those buffs would actually mean something unlike with many other characters. A slight buff to dthrow's bury time to make it an actual confirm off of utilt and usmash at certain percents similar to Snake dthrow > utilt at 160 would be pretty neat as well, because man, good mashers still manage to get out before utilt can hit even at 170 - 180!

Just a quick note on fsmash, which you mentioned in a past post: F19 is slow, but it has a remarkable anti-airing ability on jump happy opponents, and it's of course one of his most potent options for reads during ledge traps to get kills earlier. Can be surprisingly safe on shield when spaced, so you shouldn't eat too hard a punish if any at all on whiff. The move basically doesn't have a sourspot either; lost count of the number of times I've still taken stocks even as the top of Kazooie's head barely clips the opponent as Banjo slams her down lol.

Galgatha Galgatha maybe you'll find these tidbits useful as well, and I'm happy to help. He's a blast to play and I'm glad you're having a similar experience with :ultbanjokazooie:!

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I know that I have a good understanding of bomb drop set-ups, I just have trouble CATCHING the thing after I've released it. For now, my :ultbowserjr:mind goes "let's just pop the bomb over the ledge" for edgegaurds. Not the most optimal, but I've chained it into a few bair or fair kill confirms.

D DougEfresh

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Ly’s Corrin won tamisuma against the regular champion Hero’s Bowser. Corrin is a solid high tier. Top 30 character. She has the second best recovery out of the FE characters, the best juggling, the best overall survivability (recovery/weight), the best whiff punish with pin (you’ll see this a lot against Hero’s bowser.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Ly’s Corrin won tamisuma against the regular champion Hero’s Bowser. Corrin is a solid high tier. Top 30 character. She has the second best recovery out of the FE characters, the best juggling, the best overall survivability (recovery/weight), the best whiff punish with pin (you’ll see this a lot against Hero’s bowser.
Ly's Corrin winning a 256 man tournament with Protobanham and Ken in attendance is a great result. On the other hand, we can't ignore that the tournament is online, and the bracket is single elimination. Greater feats have been accomplished by less popular characters. Consistent results are needed to change most people's opinions.

Your theoretical analysis for Corrin as a high tier is very limited in scope. First, you don't mention neutral, combo potential, kill confirms, or landing ability at all. Second, I am not sure if the claims that you make are true. I agree that Corrin's recovery is difficult to contest, but the distance is still short. I could definitely see a faster FE character like Lucina contending for the best juggling. Survivability should also account for the character's susceptibility to combos and their ability to break combos and strings. I am also not sure if pin is a better whiff punish than Roy's jab confirms or dancing blade.

I am not outright denying your claim. I have seen other notable players claim that Corrin is high tier. I would like to see some more evidence for that claim.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Your theoretical analysis for Corrin as a high tier is very limited in scope. First, you don't mention neutral, combo potential, kill confirms, or landing ability at all. Second, I am not sure if the claims that you make are true. I agree that Corrin's recovery is difficult to contest, but the distance is still short. I could definitely see a faster FE character like Lucina contending for the best juggling. Survivability should also account for the character's susceptibility to combos and their ability to break combos and strings. I am also not sure if pin is a better whiff punish than Roy's jab confirms or dancing blade.
Corrin has: Okay neutral (fairly aerial-based though), good combo potential (better than most swordies), some solid kill confirm and above average kill power in general, one of the best or the best landing ability for a swordie. Her recovery is average or above average (around top 35 maybe), the distance is not short anymore, the 4.0.0 patch really helped her recovery. Corrin is arguably the most buffed character since Ultimate's release, patches really helped her. She's high tier almost certainly. I'd say Corrin's juggling is better than Lucina's too.

For now I think she's top 25 or top 30. Hard to say for sure since she hasn't been available offline since she got buffed in 8.0.0. Before 8.0.0 she was a mid tier, 8.0.0 probably made her a high tier. The addition of Sephiroth made her a bit worse, than MU is quite rough for her (at best -1 I'd say). She has a decent amount of -1 MUs but I don't currently think she has any -2, though opinions vary. Zero Suit Samus and Sephiroth seem like they could be some of the worst MUs for her.

Anyway, we haven't had offline since she returned. Cosmos and Ly have gotten some good results online at least.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Ron made matchup chart for :ultkirby: (he has used Kirby as a secondary for the last several months). I think most of the placings here are relatively in offensive, but a handful of the placements here stick out to me as being kind of weird.

:ultshulk::ultyoshi::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultike: and :ultpokemontrainer: all stick out to me as having optimistic placements, while :ultganondorf::ultminmin:ultsteve: and :ultbyleth: seem to have more pessimistic ones compared to what I would expect.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Sephiroth in Even is very odd, Sephiroth almost certainly wins vs Kirby. I feel like this is another one of those "Kirby is small so he's hard to hit and Sephiroth is easy to combo", but Sephiroth is still Sephiroth. He still has great range, great moves, One Wing, etc etc. Or it might be a case of online I suppose, the MU is harder online for Sephiroth.

I agree with the Corrin placement. Could maybe be -2 or -1 but the MU is not quite as terrible for Kirby in this game as it was in 4. I'd probably say -1 for now.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Sephiroth in Even is very odd, Sephiroth almost certainly wins vs Kirby. I feel like this is another one of those "Kirby is small so he's hard to hit and Sephiroth is easy to combo", but Sephiroth is still Sephiroth. He still has great range, great moves, One Wing, etc etc. Or it might be a case of online I suppose, the MU is harder online for Sephiroth.

I agree with the Corrin placement. Could maybe be -2 or -1 but the MU is not quite as terrible for Kirby in this game as it was in 4. I'd probably say -1 for now.
I don't know if I agree with that. Sephiroth's range is good, but the actual hit box on a lot his good spacing tools (b-air & f-air) SEEM to be thin. I've played against several Kirby's & Puffs, and it's a struggle every time (one that I usually end up losing) simply because I can't land hits on either. Plus both characters can edge-guard Sephiroth pretty hard, and from my experience can force approaches since they can easily dance around Sephiroth's neutral-special. Especially Kirby if he gets the inhale off on Sephiroth.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I don't know if I agree with that. Sephiroth's range is good, but the actual hit box on a lot his good spacing tools (b-air & f-air) SEEM to be thin. I've played against several Kirby's & Puffs, and it's a struggle every time (one that I usually end up losing) simply because I can't land hits on either. Plus both characters can edge-guard Sephiroth pretty hard, and from my experience can force approaches since they can easily dance around Sephiroth's neutral-special. Especially Kirby if he gets the inhale off on Sephiroth.
Hitting Kirby isn't that bad, f-tilt angled down still hits him, nair still hits him, fair still hits him if you aim it properly. Sephiroth also gets One Wing to really bully Kirby. Jigglypuff is probably a bit harder (partly because she's a better character than Kirby, I suppose) but Sephiroth still wins the MU.

As for edgeguarding, I don't see how Kirby would easily edgeguard Sephiroth?

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
If an opponent's certain attribute (in this case, crouching/low profiling) limits your neutral tools - especially your best buttons - then that's going to a major problem no matter how good your character is. That's why people say things like G&W beats Snake or Palu beats Pac-Man or Kirby beats or goes even with Palu. If you can't get away with chugging grenades or dropping hydrants nonchalantly or throwing out aerials all willy nilly, then you're gonna have to work harder to make yourself less predictable. If a Sephiroth only has a handful of moves that he can actually hit a low profiling Kirby with while Kirby has free reigns to nearly his entire moveset, then that's something the Sephiroth's going to have to account for, especially if the goal is keeping Kirby out. This translates into another problem: The risk-reward ratio.

If Kirby's only got to worry about falling (not even rising, just falling) NAirs to receive major damage beyond 10% stray hits, then what's the issue with him tanking an FTilt or DTilt here and there if he eventually gets that 40 to 60% damage combo that the wants to land on Sephiroth? More importantly what's the issue of him tanking a few hits if that means getting in against the guy who's tall, lacks good OoS (or just "get off me" options in general), has committal frame data? All the things that Kirby - the guy with safe moves on block, practical rising aerials, and fast moves - loves to exploit when he gets up close to press his advantage?

I'm not sure if Kirby beats Sephiroth, vice-versa, or goes even. But my issue is that I feel like too much is focused on what Sephiroth can do and what Kirby can't do. Yes, Sepiroth being Sephiroth means he's got strong horizontal reach, impressive power all-around, is fairly fast, and has a mean comeback factor. But Sephiroth being Sephiroth also means being tall, having limited combo routes, and having limited vertical reach on top of committal frame data. Likewise, being Kirby means Kirby having short range, slow air movement and not the best landing options. That said, Kirby being Kirby also means having fast and safe frame data, pancaking on half of his animations, high damaging combos, and having kill options on basically 70% of your moveset. Both Sephiroth's and Kirby's shortcomings, strengths and their interactions need to be accounted for when covering the MU.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Sephiroth in general has a legitimate issue with low profiling. Ness for example who doesn’t even have a Kirby tier crouch can duck completely under rising and more importantly falling Fair. Bair requires near frame perfect timing to be able to hit before he lands. Not having to shield those moves WHILE staying in range of those moves is a big boost to playing neutral against him as it does enforce some limits to when he can and can throw out hitboxes he’s be fine with throwing out usually against other characters. Ftilt isn’t enough to carry Sephiroth on its own.

I can definitely buy Kirby doing better against Sephiroth than most for that reason among others listed above. Kirby’s main issue is actually getting close to his opponents once he’s got the ability to rack damage and kill in spades but he just can’t get close easily. More ways Kirby has to get in in a MU the better he’s going to fair for sure.

Top Bottom