• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think Sephiroth is going to end up at least high tier, but his matchup spread is going to be WEIRD. He just has a particular mix of qualities that make him just different enough from every character in the game that it's a little hard to get a peg on how things evolve.

For example, I think Mewtwo does well against Sephiroth because they have the speed to contend in neutral and advantage and a projectile and reflector to force approaches, but also better out of shield and up close options—which almost never happens with Mewtwo! But at the same time, I predict Sephiroth demolishes Steve when that's not necessarily the case for most of the swordsmen. It's just...that Masamune is so danged long that it negates a lot of Steve's game plan.

I could also see him losing to Fox but beating Wolf, because the latter relies heavily on disjoints that might not even be a factor.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
As some who lurks on this thread every once in awhile I find the reactions here to Sephiroth compared to Steve very interesting. Sephiroth has only been out for a couple of days, and people are already asking for buffs. Meanwhile, Steve comes out and people are saying he has the potential to be the best/one of the best characters in the game (which I personally never got, but at the same time I'm not good at the game so I don't think my opinion really matters).

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
That's opinions for you. There has been a range of opinions on Seph ranging from at least high tier to buff him.
Indeed, but this is the first time I've seen such a huge divide. Maybe Min-Min was worst, but I honestly forgot about any discussion surronding that character (excluding some of the recent stuff).

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be unhappy if we didn't get any more significant balance patches

Absolutely not a fan of Sonic and G&W running around as is, but for the most part... Smash Ultimate is pretty fun and varied at all levels of play in a way no other Smash game ever managed to achieve

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Skimmed through this video, and saw that Marss gave his thoughts on the character near the end:

TLDW version (even though it's only 3 minutes long):

• Mentions that Sephiroth doesn't have much of a proactive playstyle and is mostly resorted to either reacting to opponent's attacks or simply preemptively throwing out hitboxes and hoping they land.
  • Feels like he's going to end up like Min Min and Byleth where he'll have a very polarizing MU spread overall.
  • Finds he can't deal with pressure at all, something that not even his Wing mechanic helps him with.
  • Funny enough, doesn't think he has good enough mobility to use his range very well, even with his above average run-speed. Mentions that'll he spend a lot of time standing in place swinging his sword, which if I were to guess, is a byproduct of his mediocre landing lag.
  • Believes zoners in addition to fast characters are going to be a problem for him because his mobility specs aren't good enough to stop him from getting "out-zoned", which lines up with Meru's thoughts on Zelda being heavily favored against Sephiroth.
  • Still thinks turtling/shielding is a good option against him even with the potential DSmash shield break, citing it as only being possible if said shield is less than full, and believes rolling in behind him to be a really good option since he lacks fast ways to cover his backside compared to other swordies.
  • Thinks he would be a lot better in a slower meta like Brawl's versus Ultimate's meta which is comprised of frame traps, unreactable moves, and more proactive playstyles (or in his words, "play the game before you lose" playstyles).
  • Thinks he's a "mid"-mid tier.
A lot of it is points that have been mentioned before, but compared to several other players, he seems to focus more on how Sephiroth would function in Ultimate's current meta rather than the character's kit in a vacuum to decide his viability (it's also not surprising that he thinks the character's unfun given his aggressive playstyle with ZSS).

=============================================================

On the topic of patch notes, it's not too surprising that there's minimal changes, now that I think about it. They have been using Ultimate's offline meta as a template since the beginning of the game to decide who gets buffs/nerfs (i.e. the nerfs to Joker, Pichu, Palu, Olimar), and if they ever considered the online meta for even a moment, Sonic, Cloud, G&W, and ROB would've most certainly gotten the axe by now.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
giving small nerfs to top tiers/wifi top tiers as well as buffing characters that have been frequently ignored by the patches and some of the changes that were made were somewhat lackluster, such as in the case of Duck Hunt.
Who actually needs nerfs?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Finds he can't deal with pressure at all, something that not even his Wing mechanic helps him with.
I was playing against randoms last night as Fox vs Sephi in battle arenas, and honestly that matchup feels awful for Sephiroth.

Only notable advantage is Sephiroth can get early kills on Fox with bthrow -> Bair near the ledge, but everytime I got in, all my opponents had a very difficult time doing anything. Fox's tilts are just too fast for Sephiroth to respond to and his size makes him a prime target for combos.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
:ultwario:'s Waft should kill slightly later but still be very strong. That way it can't just let Wario get zero-to-death combos like Glutonny did against Nairo at Genesis.

:ultpikachu: should have his pancaking removed, but otherwise I think the character would be fine.

:ultjoker: should have nerfs to Tetrakarn's hitbox, so it cannot hit opponents such as Peach/Daisy from below. It's the only hitbox in the game IMO that's overtuned.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
As some who lurks on this thread every once in awhile I find the reactions here to Sephiroth compared to Steve very interesting. Sephiroth has only been out for a couple of days, and people are already asking for buffs. Meanwhile, Steve comes out and people are saying he has the potential to be the best/one of the best characters in the game (which I personally never got, but at the same time I'm not good at the game so I don't think my opinion really matters).
Some also think Steve is the worst char in the game.

As for the patch: I take it, not the most needed hitbox fix Zelda needs.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
:ultwario:'s Waft should kill slightly later but still be very strong. That way it can't just let Wario get zero-to-death combos like Glutonny did against Nairo at Genesis.

:ultpikachu: should have his pancaking removed, but otherwise I think the character would be fine.

:ultjoker: should have nerfs to Tetrakarn's hitbox, so it cannot hit opponents such as Peach/Daisy from below. It's the only hitbox in the game IMO that's overtuned.
I'll add to this since I brought up the topic of nerfs in the first place:

• :ultwario: I feel like Waft might need a slight tone down or Wario needs to have less ways to combo into it. I don't think Wario is the best character in the game or even Top 5 like some others seem to think, but Waft is a bit overcentralizing in his kit, and I think nerfing it slightly or giving him less ways to combo into it wouldn't be a bad change.
  • :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultinkling:The pancaking that these characters have could be toned down. I don't think Inkling or Pichu are as good of characters as some people make them out to be, but their ability to pancake under moves extremely frequently times is somewhat overtuned in my opinion. Pikachu and Pichu's ability to low profile with landing aerials should be toned down a bit and Inkling should be easier to hit when dashing. I think these characters will still be fine even without being able to low profile nearly as much.
    • :ultzss::ultjoker: On a similar note, a change that would make these characters easier to hit while moving around onstage would be nice, but it isn't necessary. Both of these characters have small hurtboxes combined with fast mobility, and like with the previous example, nerfing their hurtboxes slightly wouldn't hurt.
  • A few other somewhat overcentralizing moves attached to certain top/high tiers should be toned down in my opinion. The two I specifically want to mention are :ultzss: Flip Kick and :ultgnw: Up-b.
  • :ultshulk: Being able to switch Monado Arts in hitstun feels like an untested mechanic. I think him being able to escape combos with it feels a bit unfair, but that at least can be worked around by most characters. However, it also comes with other unfortunate consequences such as multihit kill moves being much worse against him and him being able to escape moves he shouldn't be able to such as Byleth up-b. Being able to switch Arts in hitstun should either be removed or rebalanced in my opinion.
  • While we're stuck on wifi, I feel like nerfs to a handful of characters, most notably :ultsonic: and :ultminmin wouldn't hurt, however I don't actually think this will happen. I feel like if either of these characters are nerfed, it will be because their results in Japan's offline meta are becoming extremely strong, and it will have nothing to do with online.

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
I'll add to this since I brought up the topic of nerfs in the first place:

• :ultwario: I feel like Waft might need a slight tone down or Wario needs to have less ways to combo into it. I don't think Wario is the best character in the game or even Top 5 like some others seem to think, but Waft is a bit overcentralizing in his kit, and I think nerfing it slightly or giving him less ways to combo into it wouldn't be a bad change.
  • :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultinkling:The pancaking that these characters have could be toned down. I don't think Inkling or Pichu are as good of characters as some people make them out to be, but their ability to pancake under moves extremely frequently times is somewhat overtuned in my opinion. Pikachu and Pichu's ability to low profile with landing aerials should be toned down a bit and Inkling should be easier to hit when dashing. I think these characters will still be fine even without being able to low profile nearly as much.
    • :ultzss::ultjoker: On a similar note, a change that would make these characters easier to hit while moving around onstage would be nice, but it isn't necessary. Both of these characters have small hurtboxes combined with fast mobility, and like with the previous example, nerfing their hurtboxes slightly wouldn't hurt.
  • A few other somewhat overcentralizing moves attached to certain top/high tiers should be toned down in my opinion. The two I specifically want to mention are :ultzss: Flip Kick and :ultgnw: Up-b.
  • :ultshulk: Being able to switch Monado Arts in hitstun feels like an untested mechanic. I think him being able to escape combos with it feels a bit unfair, but that at least can be worked around by most characters. However, it also comes with other unfortunate consequences such as multihit kill moves being much worse against him and him being able to escape moves he shouldn't be able to such as Byleth up-b. Being able to switch Arts in hitstun should either be removed or rebalanced in my opinion.
  • While we're stuck on wifi, I feel like nerfs to a handful of characters, most notably :ultsonic: and :ultminmin wouldn't hurt, however I don't actually think this will happen. I feel like if either of these characters are nerfed, it will be because their results in Japan's offline meta are becoming extremely strong, and it will have nothing to do with online.
I agree with most of these suggestions here, especially for :ultwario:. Personally, I'd prefer it if waft couldn't be combo'd or set up into so easily from almost any move in his kit...this combined with his phenomenal air mobility and acceleration to heavily promote a non-interactive playstyle are rather problematic imo so giving him less reward off of each neutral win and punish Wario gets seems like the ticket to lessen the incentive for a potentially degenerate playstyle.

However, I cannot see :ultshulk:'s monado art activation/switching out of hit-stun being changed or patched out. If my memory serves, being able to change to shield art out of hitstun to break combos is listed in the "tips and info" (or something like that) tab in the vault for Shulk, and I can't see them patching that out of the game. I also think on a more practical level that Shulk hasn't risen to a level of dominance yet in the competitive scene because he's a rare and rather complex character, so the dev team probably has no incentive to change him more than they did back in 9.0 (while few, I actually found those adjustments to be good since usmash actually hits consistently know and shield art was nerfed to a noticeable extent).

The risk/reward of each of his monado arts also add a layer of difficulty to the character because you do have to know the right situations and game states to use them well, so while he "cheats" with them for sure, it's not completely dishonest because Shulk mains definitely have to know the character very well to pull off his BS.

Last edited:

Mikazuki

Smash Cadet
It's interesting, that Min Min is the most hated character in Japan, yet barely anyone in the west acknowledges her existence. If you look at any japanese (offline) set on youtube with her, it's downvoted to hell. Even more funny, when you consider, that Japan has the best Sonic and best Ness in the world and in general most japanese top players tend to play rather defensively.

Min Min could actually be top tier.

Last edited:

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I think Marss might have some bias against Sephiroth for not meshing with his personal playstyle, and a few of Sephiroth's negative attributes seemed exaggerated, (One Wing is certainly more than another jump lol) but overall I strongly agree with his points. It's nice to see a tippy top player say what I've been saying about Sephiroth.

If Sephiroth does indeed struggle with rushdown/high mobility characters (blatantly obvious that he does IMO) and projectile zoning/turtling characters, then he is not a great character. That does not leave him with the matchup chart of a high tier.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'd also like to see :ultwario:'s Waft toned down slightly. Either make it kill a little later, or give it a couple extra startup frames so that it no longer true combos/there are less true combos into it. I'm no Wario expert, so I could be wrong and maybe another method of nerfing it would be better. I'd just like to see its low-mid%-to-death potential removed.

:ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultinkling::ultjoker::ultzss: Could all use slightly bigger hurtboxes. They feel harder to hit than they should be. Since :ultinkling: and to a lesser extent, :ultpichu: have both fallen off pretty hard, maybe they could see buffs in other areas to compensate.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
Has smash ult had any major Tier changing buffs in the last 10 patches also I guess Dark pit is gonna be a sleeper chracther for ever
Quite a few, but these two come to mind in particular.

:ultfalcon: was considered a fairly mediocre character with bug issues, lack of consisency, extremely exploitable offstage, and generally not packing enough in his advantage to make up for his bad disadvantage. Although you could argue that the innovation of IDJ is arguably more important for Falcon than the buffs themselves, most of that wouldn't be possible without the Falcon buffs giving him a boatload to work with, most notably his Raptor Boost being made more consistent, more histun, and less knockback allowing for a plethora of kill confirms across all%'s particularly pressing on platform stages, which a lot of characters really like in this game, which these buffs would in turn make Fatality, the best Captain Falcon in the world, passionate enough to lab the character, get experience in online First to Tens, and hard carry this character's meta from optimistically the high end of mid tier to middle of high tier if not higher.

:ultbrawler: upon release was an absolutely awful character. He lacked any sort of remotely threatening true combos, didn't have kill power. Up Air was minus on hit until 30%, even a simple Nair Down Tilt was shieldable, Thrupper was a completely useless move, Back Air was about as strong as a wet paper towel and had more landing lag, Up Smash had fewer active frames, Feint Jump Kick simply did not kill. The character was actually bad, a bad neutral with a worse advantage state led to him being an legitimate low tier at launch. Now, Brawler has plenty of good 50-70 combos depending on weight and character and can easily do universally true strings such as Nair Dtilt Fair Nair, his damage output is very good now, although his killpower isn't glorious by any means he now has a lot of very concerning kill confirms to worry about and Bair being made strong enough to kill at decent %'s while being made safer and having less lag is a wonderful gift for the character. Up Smash was made a better antiair option by giving it addtional frames on sweetspot, Thrupper is a very worrying kill option being Frame 3 OOS and also having confirms that can kill as early as 50% on platforms and can be comboed into from IDJ Up Air, (Still being tested.), and general time since launch with Brawler mains beginning to understand the benefits of being a very fastfaller character with a safe Nair that combo starts and how verstile the character is and I'd say this character went from the depths of low tier to a solid low high tier character, or an upper mid if they're pessimistic.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's far too early to talk about buffs or nerfs for Sephiroth. He's a character of strengths and weaknesses. On one hand he's pretty outrageous: long reach, strong KO power, great shield break game combined with an extremely strong punish in gigaflare>Fsmash, OWA is very common and gives him further buffs including an extra jump and armored smashes. All this with great mobility. On the other hand he has a serious case of Belmont syndrome ie long thin hitboxes and no fast gtfo options. Look at his Fair:

And his Fsmash and Bair aren't much better. The only wide hitboxes he has are on Usmash/Air. His extremely low weight and tall hurtbox cancel out his great kill power. He also has poor frame data to balance his reach.

I can't see Sephiroth being top tier with all these flaws but he could be anywhere from mid to high tier. He's got the new toy appeal so of course he's getting results with top players trying him out. The same thing happened to Steve. Sephiroth being new means players aren't practiced with him but also don't know the MU. I can potentially see a lot of counterplay being developed like what happened with the Belmonts.

tl;dr it's far too early to judge Sephiroth.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Interestingly, Seph can autocancel up air out of an IDJ. Given the insane strength/coverage, that feels like kind of a big deal.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I think Marss might have some bias against Sephiroth for not meshing with his personal playstyle, and a few of Sephiroth's negative attributes seemed exaggerated, (One Wing is certainly more than another jump lol) but overall I strongly agree with his points. It's nice to see a tippy top player say what I've been saying about Sephiroth.

If Sephiroth does indeed struggle with rushdown/high mobility characters (blatantly obvious that he does IMO) and projectile zoning/turtling characters, then he is not a great character. That does not leave him with the matchup chart of a high tier.
Yeah I'm glad Mars posted that cause I think the same. I expect Seph to fall next to Cloud on the tier lists because most chars of a franchise tend to cluster together due to sharing physics and other traits. I do think Seph will be just fine vs zoners though. Groundspeed plus long disjoint means never having to feel like you're Ryu.

Mikazuki

Smash Cadet
Can we at least agree that Sephiroth has the second best counter in the game. Only Joker's is better.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Being able to combo into waft is the character. You take away his ability to do that and the character gets a lot worse.

Taking waft out of the picture, Wario as a character for the most part is the same as the one in Smash 4, just with actual damage output now and some kind of half consistent kill confirm in the form of dtilt to dash attack. (For this game I'd prefer the old dash attack but I digress.) So a pretty decent character but not anything exceptional. The difference between Smash 4 Wario and this Wario however is that he actually has ways to combo into waft. Hitting waft raw was stupid hard for how often you really get it, the hitbox and active frames on the move are abysmal. You needed the hardest reads or gimmicks like extending the active frames by hitting the bike with it at the ledge, and the was Smash 4 lol it's harder to whiff punish in this game. Brawl Wario's waft functioned differently overall but he was very strong without it regardless.

On paper he loses to a lot of matchups but waft is absolutely the strongest x-factor in the game that it kinda doesn't matter if he loses a matchup or losing the lead. Combination of utilt, nair (which SHOULD be a bad move but well, waft) and falling uair being moves that can confirm into waft with countless ways to lead into them pushes the character to the top, arguably the very best in the game. It just takes one good hit at wide percentages to close a stock and he has the means for it, and the means to camp for waft if he wants to.

Is it bad, overcentralized character design? Yeah, but what else is new with this game lol.

Now you could just give him the rose waft custom from Smash 4 and that's probably a fair buff nerf there without changing much of the character.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Scintilla is unique, but unique =/= good. About the only upsides it has that I can see over a traditional counter are that it will probably trip people up for a while until they remember it always fires its counterattack even if you don't hit it, and I'd buy the counterattack itself having a generous damage/knockback multiplier relative to the attack it's countering. Everything else is a straight downgrade.

• Bigger frame commitment due to guaranteed counterattack activation.
  • Counterattack counts as a projectile, making it bad against attacks that double as reflectors. (e.g. Min Min usmash)
  • Doesn't protect Sephiroth's back.
  • Can outright break from strong enough hits.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Being able to combo into waft is the character. You take away his ability to do that and the character gets a lot worse.

Taking waft out of the picture, Wario as a character for the most part is the same as the one in Smash 4, just with actual damage output now and some kind of half consistent kill confirm in the form of dtilt to dash attack. (For this game I'd prefer the old dash attack but I digress.) So a pretty decent character but not anything exceptional. The difference between Smash 4 Wario and this Wario however is that he actually has ways to combo into waft. Hitting waft raw was stupid hard for how often you really get it, the hitbox and active frames on the move are abysmal. You needed the hardest reads or gimmicks like extending the active frames by hitting the bike with it at the ledge, and the was Smash 4 lol it's harder to whiff punish in this game. Brawl Wario's waft functioned differently overall but he was very strong without it regardless.

On paper he loses to a lot of matchups but waft is absolutely the strongest x-factor in the game that it kinda doesn't matter if he loses a matchup or losing the lead. Combination of utilt, nair (which SHOULD be a bad move but well, waft) and falling uair being moves that can confirm into waft with countless ways to lead into them pushes the character to the top, arguably the very best in the game. It just takes one good hit at wide percentages to close a stock and he has the means for it, and the means to camp for waft if he wants to.

Is it bad, overcentralized character design? Yeah, but what else is new with this game lol.

Now you could just give him the rose waft custom from Smash 4 and that's probably a fair buff nerf there without changing much of the character.
Despite what I said earlier, I do agree with this. If Waft or Wario's options to be comboed into it were nerfed, I don't think they should be nerfed significantly. The point of nerfing him isn't to make him dysfunctional, just to tone down some of the more extreme aspects of his kit to be slightly less so.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
My take on Scintilla is this: considering even "good" counters still usually mean eating a big punish if you whiff them, I'd take something that offers reward closer to the risk any day, regardless of it's other downsides. All it really means is that I use it differently from other counters; not to escape disadvantage or block exploitable recoveries, but to check predictable approaches. I've certainly used it in it's intended role to far greater effect than anyone else's; other characters just have better things to do.

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the balance patch was kind of disappointing. Nothing changed really. Joker Arsene is ridiculously overturned, and he’s the best character in the game. He’s a great zoner at the same time he has some of the best mobility in the game. Arsene bair has nothing that compares to it in terms of power, speed and shield damage. But if I were to nerf one thing about joker it’s that lazy counter. The hit box is comically big unlike any other character with a counter. It makes it impossible to recovery as Chrom with up b, no matter how perfect the spacing, while every other counter Chrom has a way around. Sure, there are other characters which can 100% kill Chrom when he’s forced to up b such as Banjo, but just compare banjo to Arsene Joker and you’ll see why it’s a balance issue. Arsene joker s rewarded so hard for winning the neutral, then he simply clicks down b to finish the stock. Long story short the counter is busted. Arsene is overturned in general but the counter is just ludicrous.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Luigi's dash attack change might not be a buff after all

And I talked about these both yesterday, but I feel like it's worth mentioning these as well

Several of the changes this patch seem somewhat mishandled for lack of a better word.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have recent and Japanese matchup charts for :ultminmin ? I'm curious and my ability to Google for this stuff is poor.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I don't think Sephiroth loses to all projectile zoners, but rather speedy projectile zoners, of which there are only a few. Mega Man, for example, isn't quite quick enough to close the gap with a highly mobile Sephiroth, but someone like Duck Hunt who's surprisingly speedy AND has good up-close frame data could be trouble.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sephiroth loses to all projectile zoners, but rather speedy projectile zoners, of which there are only a few. Mega Man, for example, isn't quite quick enough to close the gap with a highly mobile Sephiroth, but someone like Duck Hunt who's surprisingly speedy AND has good up-close frame data could be trouble.
First, Mega Man has an initial dash of 1.958 which is faster than Sephiroth's initial dash of 1.92 and Duck Hunt's run speed of 1.793. By the way, the main draw of playing a zoner against Sephiroth in neutral is to make Sephiroth do the approaching. Characters with stronger projectiles or faster projectiles than Sephiroth can get the upper hand from a distance and make him approach. Characters with chargeable and storable projectiles are a good example. Mega Man's frame 7 pellets could also pressure Sephiroth to start approaching at mid range.

Without OWA, Sephiroth struggles to approach zoners due to subpar burst mobility on the ground and in the air. 1.92 dash speed is a little slower than Ken and slightly faster than Kirby and Ganondorf. His airspeed is outside of the top 60 at .95, and his aerial acceleration is slightly above average at .08. He has a long sword, but his horizontal hitboxes are narrow. This makes it easy to get projectiles around his sword if the zoner doesn't have any transcendent projectiles.

One key aspect of the Sephiroth matchup is the ability to kill him early to mitigate OWA. With OWA, Sephiroth has an air speed of 1.14, an aerial acceleration of .0885, and a run speed of 2.325. This combination of top 10 run speed, top 30 air speed and top 30 aerial acceleration gives him the ability to whiff punish zoners pretty often. Increased damage output and kill power also allows OWA Sephiroth to make comebacks against zoners if he can stay alive long enough. Overall, I could see Sephiroth losing to zoners who can beat him in neutral and kill him early.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Luigi's dash attack change might not be a buff after all

And I talked about these both yesterday, but I feel like it's worth mentioning these as well

Several of the changes this patch seem somewhat mishandled for lack of a better word.
:ultyounglink:'s spin attack got buffed so it connects better? It's about ****ing time! I hate when opponents fall out of that.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
First, Mega Man has an initial dash of 1.958 which is faster than Sephiroth's initial dash of 1.92 and Duck Hunt's run speed of 1.793. By the way, the main draw of playing a zoner against Sephiroth in neutral is to make Sephiroth do the approaching. Characters with stronger projectiles or faster projectiles than Sephiroth can get the upper hand from a distance and make him approach. Characters with chargeable and storable projectiles are a good example. Mega Man's frame 7 pellets could also pressure Sephiroth to start approaching at mid range.

Without OWA, Sephiroth struggles to approach zoners due to subpar burst mobility on the ground and in the air. 1.92 dash speed is a little slower than Ken and slightly faster than Kirby and Ganondorf. His airspeed is outside of the top 60 at .95, and his aerial acceleration is slightly above average at .08. He has a long sword, but his horizontal hitboxes are narrow. This makes it easy to get projectiles around his sword if the zoner doesn't have any transcendent projectiles.

One key aspect of the Sephiroth matchup is the ability to kill him early to mitigate OWA. With OWA, Sephiroth has an air speed of 1.14, an aerial acceleration of .0885, and a run speed of 2.325. This combination of top 10 run speed, top 30 air speed and top 30 aerial acceleration gives him the ability to whiff punish zoners pretty often. Increased damage output and kill power also allows OWA Sephiroth to make comebacks against zoners if he can stay alive long enough. Overall, I could see Sephiroth losing to zoners who can beat him in neutral and kill him early.
When fighting Sephiroth, I think initial dash is less important than the actual run, because the goal is less about small movements and more about simply, can you get there in time to punish an attack on whiff or block? Mega Man is good at weaving in and out and maintaining his ideal distance, but that distance is also generally good for Sephiroth. Combined with the fact that pellets are pretty weak and Sephiroth's f-tilt, fair, and bair are quite strong, and interactions in that mid range become far riskier. Mega Man has tools to fight at a longer range, but his specials are suited to forcing others into Mega Man's preferred distance, which is where Sephiroth also likes to be.

This is all still theorycraft, but contrast this with someone like Mewtwo, who has top 10 ground speed, an extremely powerful projectile, and a reflector to boot. This combination allows Mewtwo to either fight outside of sword range or get in close and out-frame-data Sephiroth. Similarly, Duck Hunt has Can to set up big plays at a distance, and decent speed to get in his face at least until the wing activates.

Basically, Sephiroth's sword is so big that you need to reliably overcome that huge distance and punish him hard for it. It's kind of like spacing against Byleth but one who runs like Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When fighting Sephiroth, I think initial dash is less important than the actual run, because the goal is less about small movements and more about simply, can you get there in time to punish an attack on whiff or block? Mega Man is good at weaving in and out and maintaining his ideal distance, but that distance is also generally good for Sephiroth. Combined with the fact that pellets are pretty weak and Sephiroth's f-tilt, fair, and bair are quite strong, and interactions in that mid range become far riskier. Mega Man has tools to fight at a longer range, but his specials are suited to forcing others into Mega Man's preferred distance, which is where Sephiroth also likes to be.

This is all still theorycraft, but contrast this with someone like Mewtwo, who has top 10 ground speed, an extremely powerful projectile, and a reflector to boot. This combination allows Mewtwo to either fight outside of sword range or get in close and out-frame-data Sephiroth. Similarly, Duck Hunt has Can to set up big plays at a distance, and decent speed to get in his face at least until the wing activates.

Basically, Sephiroth's sword is so big that you need to reliably overcome that huge distance and punish him hard for it. It's kind of like spacing against Byleth but one who runs like Wii Fit Trainer.
I'd like to point out that Scintilla, even if it doesn't actually reflect, has a generously meaty and sized hitbox that at bare minimum gives the opponent pause about trying to rush in and capitalize on a projectile hit.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
1.92 is still the 41st fastest initial dash in the game, and he possesses the 30th fastest dash speed in the game.
The only part of his mobility that is a bit lacking side is his air speed, being the 64th-65th fastest in the game, but it helps that his air acceleration is decent and he is a fast-faller.

For a character that controls a lot of space, that is pretty good mobility, boosted even further with Winged Mode. We see how good Min Min takes advantage of this with significantly weaker mobility, granted that her range covers halfway across the stage. :p

================================================================================

Relatively unrelated:
Until :ultsephiroth: has access to Winged Mode, I found that he plays the neutral game mostly grounded in a lot of matchups, only mainly throwing out aerials in advantage or in pressure situations. This is mostly because being in the air as Sephiroth, at least in the neutral game, is too risky given his below-average air mobility and laggy aerials. If he is in the air in the neutral game, he is either throwing out a neutral air, or a Shadow Flare.

I do want to say that his neutral air is amazing for Sephiroth, as well as it being a pretty dang good move by itself. It is a frame 9 neutral air, which recovers very fast, combos into itself and other moves, and is generally Sephiroth's fastest option in most scenarios both OoS and air-to-air interactions. I don't think it quite as good as Byleth's neutral air by itself, but this neutral air works very well with Sephiroth's kit.

Also relatively unrelated:
Despite being an insanely popular character online, probably the most popular DLC character online of all time (outside of maybe Hero), I actually think Sephiroth is a better character offline, at least in higher levels of play.

This is actually due to similar reasons to why Fox and Marth are weaker online: he has to space with care and approach each situation carefully due to how fragile he is, both of which are difficult to do online in high level play. I also found Shadow Flare shenanigans to be harder to pull off online than offline, due to the increased lag.

Anyways, a lot of top players, such as MkLeo, Tweek, Dabuz, and VoiD are all interested in picking up the character, which does seem pretty promising as of right now. It makes sense: Sephiroth is Tweek's dream character; VoiD simply likes the characters a lot (maining fellow lightweights Sheik and Pichu helps, I guess?); MkLeo and Dabuz have heavy Byleth and Min Min experience, respectively, which translates very well into Sephiroth.

We will have to wait and see further developments though.

Also also relatively unrelated:
I too am noticing an increased usage / higher opinion on :ultminmin lately. Despite the switch back to offline, Min Min still has a strong foothold in Japan, and I am seeing more usage of the character in online events in North America. Obviously nowhere near the levels of Japan, but Min Min has shown very respectable instances of success. Dabuz pretty much adopted her as one of his major characters, and is interested in playing her very seriously when offline returns. Other players like Salem and ESAM also occasionally uses her, especially the former.

I don't know what to say about her like/dislike stuff about Min Min in Japan. Some people in this thread says that she is universally hated in Japan, while others say that the it is due to the specific player(s) playing her. Either way, this character does have top tier potential when the NA scene returns back to offline, but we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
So, a zoner who is fast enough to get in and CQC? So... not a zoner. IIRC Duck Hunt's abyssmal MU vs Cloud was soley because Could's nair and bair has so much disjoint it could simultaneously destroy all of DH's projectiles safely and also hit DH in the process. While Seph doesn't have the nair-without-a-care that Cloud does, his b-air only requires a little more precision. And once DH is offstage Seph has no issue going out there to finish the job.

Transcendant projectiles are key. Which is Villager's slingshot, and....?

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman

If a character's initial dash is notably faster than their run, foxtrotting will be faster than running. Mega Man's 1.958 dash speed is much faster than his 1.602 run speed so he will foxtrot to close the distance whenever he can. While Sephiroth's range may be pretty similar to Mega Man's, his options in this range are much slower than the pellets to the point where Sephiroth can get hit during the startup of those moves. Sephiroth's ftilt is frame 14, fair is frame 13, and bair is frame 15. Mega Man can even move while shooting with ftilt to position himself better. In addition, Sephiroth would have to approach if he is getting outzoned. In that case, it might only take an initial dash for a zoner to get in. Some zoners can even combo and kill confirm early without approaching at all. Zoners can outrange Sephiroth's sword with projectiles. It is easy to shoot a projectile around his sword to hit him.

I agree that Sephiroth doesn't automatically lose to all zoners. I was posting because multiple people have been severely underrating what zoners can do against base Sephiroth.

meleebrawler meleebrawler That is true, but the 29 frame endlag of a successful counter could be punished depending on the zoner's options.

The_Bookworm The_Bookworm Sephiroth's mobility is good for a character that has his range. My point is that Sephiroth's base stats alone aren't enough to consistently close in on zoners. That is why I mentioned characters with similar stats that are known to struggle with with zoners.

RonNewcomb RonNewcomb Villager's slingshot isn't transcendent. Projectiles like Gunner's fair, space animal lasers, and Swordfighter's gale Strike are transcendent.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's a rather hard sell that any character right now "deserves" nerfs. Pre-COVID, the best performing characters were :ultrob::ultwolf::ultsnake::ultpalutena:; I just can't buy that any of them need nerfs.

:ultjoker: had fallen behind them, and while I think it is reasonable to try and explain that trend away and insist that he is still the #1 character in the game, you'd have to work a lot harder to convince me that he "needs nerfs." Basically all of the same applies to :ultpeach: as well. Also :ultminmin, but with more short-term skepticism and more long-term uncertainty. (Like, I could absolutely imagine a future where it turns out Min Min needs to be nerfed, in the same way where I can imagine a future where it turns out she is merely high tier.)

:ultpikachu: complaints I just can't take seriously at all.

:ultwario: is the one I could buy the most. No character outperforms his usage to the extent that Wario does. If we accept that it was reasonable to buff Cloud, Bowser, and kinda-sorta Ness, then it is plausible that Wario nerfs would be considered in the exact opposite way.

I hesistate because this sort of nerf would be comparatively speculative, unprecedented in the patch history we have seen. The small number of nerfs have always been given to characters who were unambiguously among the best-performing and most-used characters in offline tournaments. (Wario only has incredible results, driven exclusively by one of the smallest player bases)

I'm neutral on a (very small) Wario nerf. I could see it doing more good than harm, but also see it as a solution in search of a problem.

Retrospective time! Bottom line, the game is significantly better after 2020's balance patches:
  • General nerfs to :ultjoker::ultpalutena:, the #1 and #3 character on OrionRank at the end of 2019 (#2 was Wolf)
  • Super-narrow nerfs to :ultzss: (bury) and :ultshulk: (Monado armor)
  • General competitive buffs to :ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultkirby::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultike::ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina: :ultbowserjr: :ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
  • Casual-friendly buffs to :ultness::ultsonic:, courteously restricted to moves like Ness u-throw
  • Fixes and QoL changes spanning literally every existing character in the game except :ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultlucas::ultrob::ultinkling:, mostly focused on shield converage, rapid jabs, and multi-hit consistency
  • Small Battlefield!
  • Online is now 1.5 frames faster
Some notes:
  • Miis continue to be ignored for balance changes, though they have gotten QoL updates like everyone else.
  • No DLC character has gotten meaningful balance changes other than repeated buffs to Plant and nerfs to Jokers.
  • No character was given dedicated buffs (or nerfs) more than one time in 2020.
  • About half the entire cast got buffed in 2020, and exempting Miis and DLCs, it aligns heavily with the way OrionRank ended in 2019. In fact, it's much easier to list the few character who didn't get buffed. Literally every (non-Mii, non-DLC) character ranked between #28 and #75 at the end of 2019 got improvement sets, except:
    • :ultlink: (#32)
    • :ultrosalina: (#33)
    • :ultluigi: (#34)
    • :ultduckhunt: (#39)
    • :ultrobin: (#48)
    • :ultlucas: (#50)
    • :ultdk: (#51)
    • :ultlittlemac: (#61)
    • :ultganondorf: (#69)
    • :ultjigglypuff: (#73)
Many of these characters actually improved in performance in the initial months of 2020. All of the top 5 held onto their positions with minimal fluxtuations. DK--who was buffed in November 2019, jumped considerably to #39. Robin was also buffed, but merely held on to his #48 rank. Lucas, on the other hand, got no buffs but enjoyed a jump to #44.

That really just leaves :ultlittlemac::ultganondorf::ultjigglypuff: as the three characters our data suggests should have been buffed in 2020 that missed out.

Puff was also buffed at the end of 2019, but did not turn it into immediate results like DK (or even Robin), while not getting a second dose of 2020 buffs like Kirby, K Rool, or Incineroar. I consider Jigglypuff the most likely character to be buffed in in next set, given the data we have.

Mac was given a large set of buffs once, in April 2019. To add insult to injury, the bugfixes he has gotten since then make him weaker rather than stronger. (Obviously bugs should be fixed regardless, it's just an emotional kick.) Mac will be challenging to balance given his unusual sensitivity to stage and skill level, so our data might have limited relevance. It's ambiguous if the developers will see fit to adjust him further.

Ganondorf is similar, only even more extreme. Ganondorf is one of the only characters in the game who has never received targeted balance changes. (Only bigfixes and QoL tweaks) We know that Ganon is a very popular character, but underperforms at the tournament results level to an extent even greater than other popular underperformers like Bowser, Cloud, and Ness. Honestly, I consider Cloud getting buffed as the only counter-evidence that Ganon buffs could happen. But it's entirely up in the air, as Ganon's performance in FFA, online, and lower level play make him such an extreme outlier.

Besides Jigglypuff, any number of the 2020 buffed characters is obviously a candidate as well, assuming the data emerges to support it. But we don't have good post-buff data yet, and even for suspects like Doc or Isabelle we can't really say much responsibly until that emerges.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
My take on Scintilla is this: considering even "good" counters still usually mean eating a big punish if you whiff them, I'd take something that offers reward closer to the risk any day, regardless of it's other downsides. All it really means is that I use it differently from other counters; not to escape disadvantage or block exploitable recoveries, but to check predictable approaches.
You aren't using it for that? I've seen Tweek and others use Scintilla to great effect on recoveries like Ike's and Fox's.
The one side thing doesn't matter most of the time in edgeguard situations, and the massive hitbox plus x1.5 damage (in OWA) really messes them up. I think it might be the second best counter (after Joker's) for countering slow recoveries.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Let's get the Scintilla talk over with:

Bottom line, Scintilla is really good. If you don't think it is, sorry, don't mean to be rude but you are simply wrong. Go watch MKLeo, Sharp, or the other top Sephiroth matches we've got. It's hardly a spammable move, but one that is more than usable and very good at what it does.

Pros:
  • Very tall activation box.
  • MASSIVE range when activated.
  • Great base damage, high knockback, can easily kill.
  • 1.5x ratio in One Wing mode.
  • Always attacks on frame 38.
Neutral:
  • Frame 7 activation. Not good, not bad.
  • Can be grabbed, like every other counter.
  • Ordinary counter window length. (Note that this means there is a 10 frame gap before auto-activation where attacks land normally)
Cons:
  • Breaks (with no harm to either side) if the attack does more than 25% base. (30% real 1v1 damage)
  • Does not cover back.
  • Is reflectable/absorbable.
  • Because it always attacks, has a whopping 86 frames of commitment.
So the pros are REALLY GOOD, but the cons... are actually not that bad at all.

Breaking is super rare--VERY few attacks deal that much damage in a single hitbox. And so you can't counter those very-rarely-used-and-easy-to-punish-with-fsmash-anyway moves, so what? And if you DO accidentally counter one, oh well, nothing happens. Literally no downside.

It doesn't cover Sephiroth's back, but who cares? You can b-reverse it. I've yet to see this matter, just like it never comes up for K Rool. This is actually only relevant for coming down DIRECTLY on top of someone with a narrow uair.

It's reflectable/absorable? Across the ENTIRE CAST, I can only think of six circumstances where this is relevant 1v1:
  • Hero Bounce active
  • Min Min usmash
  • ROB Arm Rotor
  • Zelda Nayru's Love
  • Falco Reflector
  • G&W fair -> bucket
Pocket's interactions with it aren't compelling AFAIK and nothing leads into PSI Magnet. I bet you can construct contrived scenarios where Mario or either Mii can get in range to follow a projectile with a reflect, but I have no idea why Sephiroth would Scintilla there even absent the reflect gimmick.

At worst, Sephiroth just doesn't throw out Scintilla against Zelda point-blank, grounded Min Min, horizontal ROB or Falco, Bounce Hero, or specifically G&W fair. OK; that's not actually that much.

Finally, that whopping 86 frames of commitment. That's even longer than Ike's 73! That sounds punishable as hell, and it sort of is. But on paper you are comparing apples to apples when these ain't apples.

Scintilla is -25 on shield. That's a lot less than 73! Even if we penalize Ike's opponent 15-20 frames of human reaction time while treating the same as an irrelevant sunk cost for Sephiroth's opponent, that's still more than double! But that's still not fair--you might not even have been in shield to punish Ike (or Joker or whoever), but you HAVE to shield Scintilla, adding another 11 frames. Yeah, good luck f-smashing OoS Sephiroth for using Scintilla.

Maybe you intend to space out the attack, dash in, and then attack? Okay, let's assume Sephiroth tried it at a spacing that permits that, sure. The attack is active a hearty 15 frames, leaving you with 33 frames to dash in and punish him. That's a lot, but it's still less than half what you'd get against Ike, and still way less than even Joker's. (And those don't have any particular spacing requirements!)

So scratch that too. Well, what if the opponent jumps or rolls past Sephiroth? Well, a forward roll or empty SH FF is about 30 frames. Once we subtract that... your punish window is on-par with punishing Joker down-b, which is the previous gold standard for a "safe" counter. So you gamble a cold empty movement into Sephiroth as a hard read, and the best-case reward is that you make his counter merely as punishable as Joker's? This is not the usual level of reward that "hard read of a Counter" gets you! And never mind that both of these movement options are irrelevant in most off-stage use cases.

What if Sephiroth is coming down in disadvantage, and tries to Scintilla an aggressive uair or such, but the opponent doesn't take the bait? Sephiroth is sitting in midair looking like an idiot for 86 frames! Except, there's not really anyone with an unrestricted aerial punish they can do in 86 frames that they couldn't do in 73 or even 54. A knee is a knee. Barring edge cases where the exact spacing is perfect for a Palutena or Belmont u-smash, being vulnerable for long amounts of time in the air is far more binary than it is on the ground.

So we're left with only two main cases where Scintilla is actually more punishable than other counters:
  • The opponent's best punish option outranges Scintilla and the spacing of the encounter allows them to promptly start it instead of shielding/rolling. (Typically ground opponent only.) So, Sephiroth merely has to be more judicious in the situations that he uses it against grounded Shulk, Mega Man, Byleth, Min Min, Belmont, ect, where their go-to punish would not be impeded by Scintilla's (inferior) range.
  • The opponent is commited to other actions outside the range of Scintilla's attack, most commonly grabbing the ledge. This means that they are in no danger of Scintilla's attack, and their time is being occupied by something that could prevent them from punishing a normal vulnerable target (at least as much as they might like), but a 83 frame window is more workable. The most common application of this is Sephiroth failing a Scintilla above the ledge, and the opponent having enough time to ledge jump and bair him. (Where between falling past, grabbing the ledge for the minimum time, and jumping, they might not have had time to bair against a shorter Counter and might have had to accept a ledge drop fair instead.)
Scintilla is inescapeably a high-risk high-reward move, but its real-world applications have much more in common with Tetrakarn than Ike Counter.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I think this change has been needed for years.

:ultsonic:'s Spin Dash having invincibility needs to be removed for the health of the metagame. The move, combined with his Sonic-tier speed and mobility, literally allows the character to win the match off of never interacting, and sometimes just taking a stock lead with Sonic is enough to seal the deal depending on the matchup and stage. (Town and Kalos are the most egregious stage examples of how easily Sonic can abuse his timeout strats). The fact that his Spin Dash can just mow through any chances of getting past it with invincibility frames, while having good damage output and the ability to combo, is absolutely ludicrous and unhealthy. Sonic's damage output (we've all seen players like Sonix take their opponent to 40-60 off of one combo, nothing too crazy but then you realize Sonic has EVERYTHING ELSE in the game) and pretty easybake confirms, such as Spin Dash to F-Air being a kill confirm as late as 140, is honestly really dumb even for the type of privilege Ultimate gives it's characters.

And I understand that Sonic has some flaws, but the thing people never talk about is how he can pretty easily get around all of them. Killing's an issue? dude just stop interacting and use your numerous safe buttons to get them to kill percents, or abuse Sonic's top 10 in the game edgeguarding to kill them at obscene percents! His disadvantage also isn't bad at all, same goes for his recovery. Not perfect doesn't mean bad.

Overall, Sonic as a character is pretty damn overtuned as a whole, but there's some hope for balancing him in a way that there wasn't for Smash 4 Sonic. If Spin Dash is nerfed, Sonic players will have to start interacting more, using Sonic's actual kit in a more aggressive style rather than abusing the timer system that has plagued Smash for it's existence.

Top Bottom