• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Arthur97

Smash Master
So you'll buy the expensive Pro-Controller.

Speaking of Smash:
(Note the date but seems like Europe got an Orion Ranking and unlike the EUPR they included Non-European tournaments which is...dumb?)
As opposed to expensive GC controllers and the adapters?

Firox

Smash Master
I haven't posted much because I don't play wifi and we're in the dark age of smash with covid. This however is terrible! Nintendo updated the switch and changed values for gamecube controllers so it's harder to do tilt inputs. This video's a must watch.
While I find this change to be horrifyingly stupid on Nintendo's part, I find it ironic that I didn't really notice until this was brought up.

Arthur97

Smash Master
And, uh, what are the odds it's an error that will end up just getting patched out? Even if it is though, it'd probably be low priority to fix seeing as it doesn't affect much. What? Do two games actually support it?

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Hippieslayer Hippieslayer Samus's charge shot is better than Gunner's charge blast because charge shot can combo into other moves when it isn't fully charged. Gunner's charge blast is better at full charge because charge blast at full charge has low percent combos and the ability to cover most ledge hanging aminations.

I main 1332 Gunner myself, but Grenades and absorbing vortex have their merits. Grenades are a great combo starter and ledgetrapping option that is +10 on shield. Absorbing vortex is a good OOS option that can mix up our movement and give a recovery boost. The hitbox on absorbing vortex is large, and the move can be used to two-frame recoveries. Katakiri uses 3333, and he is considered the best Gunner in the world. Tsumusuto and Deon are some notable Gunners that use grenades.

In the recent tier lists posted, top players are still underestimating Gunner's damage output. I am just going to link the Gunner combo thread if anyone hasn't seen it yet. I will address ESAM's thoughts because he brings up more points. Gunner isn't great against cross ups, but we have some options to deal with them. Arm rocket is a frame 8 OOS escape option, and bair can be used depending on the matchup. Absorbing vortex is also a good frame 10 option for this situation. Gunner has rising aerials. Nair is good for punishing jumps since it starts above Gunner. Fair outranges most aerials, and allows Gunner to move with Gundashing. Bair is also frame 9 with good range. Outside of projectiles, Gunner still has a strong grab game with some good aerials. Bombs are a great move because it can be safe enough to set up grabs on shield, it blocks most projectiles, it starts combos, it helps in disadvantage, and it can even kill at late percents. We have other strong projectiles besides grenades. Fair, missiles/flame pillar, and bomb drop can confirm into kills depending on the moveset.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Characters too high:
Steve
Hero
Piranha Plant
Byleth?

Characters too low:
Mewtwo
Sheik
Pichu
Falco

Otherwise Leo's list looks solid.
Mewtwo is put on his "I don't know" tier, which means unranked.

Leo released his tier list.
View attachment 294684
As for his tier list, it looks.... strange to say the least. On top of Diddy Kong's selection for odd placements, here is a few others I like to point out.
  • He seems pretty optimistic on :ultjigglypuff:, in a similar vein to ESAM. It is to the point where he ranks it above Pichu.
  • He is also very optimistic on :ultbyleth:, at least relative to what a lot of people place him, which makes sense he essentially mains the character online, and puts very meaty results with him.
  • What surprises me a bit is :ultmarth:'s placement. At one point in the online meta, he pretty much lost faith in this character, and claims that he is lower-mid tier. However, he is now lower-high tier, so I guess his opinion on him healed with time.
  • :ultsonic: in S tier is a pretty interesting take. It is true that the character takes a big boost online, but I highly doubt the character is this high offline.
  • :ultduckhunt: is essentially placed as the third worst character in the game, which is another very hot take.
  • The final one I want to point out is :ult_terry: being placed a big higher than some people ranks him. The character is very much high tier, but he places him above characters like Shulk, Olimar, Chrom, and Cloud, characters a lot of people say is better than Terry. I am not against an optimistic view on Terry (especially since I think some players rank him too low), but I think this is ranking him too high.

It is certainly not the only odd placements, but those are the most notable I want to point out.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Mewtwo is put on his "I don't know" tier, which means unranked.

As for his tier list, it looks.... strange to say the least. On top of Diddy Kong's selection for odd placements, here is a few others I like to point out.
  • He seems pretty optimistic on :ultjigglypuff:, in a similar vein to ESAM. It is to the point where he ranks it above Pichu.
  • He is also very optimistic on :ultbyleth:, at least relative to what a lot of people place him, which makes sense he essentially mains the character online, and puts very meaty results with him.
  • What surprises me a bit is :ultmarth:'s placement. At one point in the online meta, he pretty much lost faith in this character, and claims that he is lower-mid tier. However, he is now lower-high tier, so I guess his opinion on him healed with time.
  • :ultsonic: in S tier is a pretty interesting take. It is true that the character takes a big boost online, but I highly doubt the character is this high offline.
  • :ultduckhunt: is essentially placed as the third worst character in the game, which is another very hot take.
  • The final one I want to point out is :ult_terry: being placed a big higher than some people ranks him. The character is very much high tier, but he places him above characters like Shulk, Olimar, Chrom, and Cloud, characters a lot of people say is better than Terry. I am not against an optimistic view on Terry (especially since I think some players rank him too low), but I think this is ranking him too high.

It is certainly not the only odd placements, but those are the most notable I want to point out.
Leo specifically says that he thinks Mewtwo is really good, but knows how strongly everyone thinks otherwise, so that's why his opinion isn't finalized.

In other news, KEN the Sonic player got to semi-finals in one of the latest Tamisuma online tourneys going all Incineroar. This includes going 2-1 against a Sonic.

The VOD isn't up yet (if it'll be up at all), but it was like a clinic in terms of how to deal with Sonic. Naturally, one of the best Sonics would know how to fight agains this own main, but it was impressive how often and how well KEN could punish Sonic's spins. You wouldn't think it possible, especially with online lag, but KEN somehow made it work.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Let's hope the next fighter (announced later at the Game Awards) won't take as long as Joker because i want some buffs :3.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Well I did not, with every fiber in my body, see this coming.

This feels fake, but it isn't.

SEPHIROTH IS IN SMASH BROS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Dude's big a** sword is gonna take up half the stage.

But I am quite happy to get ol' Sephi here. I won't lie, personally feelings really, but I get far more eagerness in a character like Sephiroth who just oozes with villainous coolness and have such a memorable history to both his own game and in history as well. Sephiroth is probably one of the most well known gaming villains, but still, it is shocking to see him included.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Well I did not, with every fiber in my body, see this coming.

This feels fake, but it isn't.

SEPHIROTH IS IN SMASH BROS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

I hope that the character won't have crippling mobility issues like Byleth. What's the point in having all of that range when you can just get projectile camped?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
OH NO, HE'S HOT!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Anyways, considering their past patterns with DLC characters, I won't be surprised if Sephiroth's mobility was on the lower-end of things.
But with that kind of range....
1607653197189.png

...they kind of have to. LMAO

Outside of this, the trailer unfortunately didn't give us too much information, but I will post a proper analysis later on.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
His neutral-b which spawns 3 orbs around his opponent looks interesting. It isn't clear what triggers the orbs making them explode, it could be Sephiroth or it could be the opponent.

His up-b looks bad in terms of distance covered, but his recovery might be decent anyway because he seems to be able to use his fair to do a kind of walljump without needing to be next to the wall. There's also the possibility that he could have a third jump since he has a wing. Edit: the wing is skin dependent so yeah, no third jump.

His side-b looks like a chargeable dancing blade that covers more distance horizontally. Not a very exciting move.

His counter looks visually underwhelming, very boring move. Really weird that they would waste one of Sephiroth special's on such a standard swordie move when we have way too many standard swordies already. From how the move looks I would reckon it reflects projectiles.

His tilts look slow but still good because of their huge coverage, the f-tilt he does looks angled. The utilt looks like it will cover him completely in a half circle, it looks too slow to be used as an OOS option which beats crossups though.

Can't really say anything about his smashes.

His most interesting move was the backdash he uses near the end of the in game footage, its essentially a dodge roll without invincibility but with armor. It's unclear what move it is, is this backdash there in place of a dodge roll? If not how is it performed? Or is it a regular dash and Sephiroth just always faces his opponents like Ryu/Ken? That seems too OP. I don't know. This is the biggest question mark along with his neutral-b and whether or not he will have tippers.

I like how he looks like a straightforward character unlike Steve and many other DLC characters. I don't like how he looks like a very standard swordfighter so far with some of his moves being very similar to already existing ones.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Another swordfighter? I guess the community will be really upset about this, because clearly, the issue was the amount of swords and not the amount of characters that are uninteresting to a large portion of the player-base. /s

Sephiroth could be top tiers, or low-mid tier, maybe even low tier. He reminds me of Shulk in that sense, who was mediocre in 4 and top tier in Ultimate. Could go either way. He could also be somewhere between, of course. We'll see. This is also the third character we're getting during covid, tier lists are starting to get really hard to rate accurately, heh.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Another swordfighter? I guess the community will be really upset about this, because clearly, the issue was the amount of swords and not the amount of characters that are uninteresting to a large portion of the player-base. /s

Sephiroth could be top tiers, or low-mid tier, maybe even low tier. He reminds me of Shulk in that sense, who was mediocre in 4 and top tier in Ultimate. Could go either way. He could also be somewhere between, of course. We'll see. This is also the third character we're getting during covid, tier lists are starting to get really hard to rate accurately, heh.
Or they really hate FE. The Byleths have a unique enough moveset, yet have still been accused of being clones.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Or they really hate FE. The Byleths have a unique enough moveset, yet have still been accused of being clones.
Hero was kind of hated too (although RNG might've been a factor). Anyway, Sephiroth will be an interesting addition to the game, I could see him being quite polarizing if he's good, that range is going to be tough to deal with if he's good.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Sephiroth looks like he has a limit-esque mechanic or something similar. It's signaled not only by a blue aura but also his one wing growing out of his back. That said, they didn't show a limit charge down b or anything like that.

I see him being like a Super Corrin: limited mobility but absurd range and decent attack speed. But a Corrin with limit sounds kind of terrifying.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hero was kind of hated too (although RNG might've been a factor). Anyway, Sephiroth will be an interesting addition to the game, I could see him being quite polarizing if he's good, that range is going to be tough to deal with if he's good.
Wasn't that mostly RNG? I thought the randomness was what garnered so much backlash.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
So, I went through the trailer trying to break down which moves are which and this is what I came up with

1:15 seems to be f-tilt and then f-smash (f-smash seems to be shown again at 1:46)

1:17 might be f-air? (it sticks him to walls and it looks like he can cancel it by jumping, that's a nice touch)

1:20 is his counter (it looks like some kind of barrier, maybe it can reflect like Palu's?)

1:22 might be up-air? (it's very slow if so, but covers a huge area)

1:26 and 1:29 might be his neutral-b? Seems to be a projectile that takes a second to activate once locked on an opponent, or he can choose when to activate it

1:27 seems to be up-smash

1:35 seems to be his down-air

1:48 might be his side-b?

1:51 seems to be his final smash

Yeah, assuming everything here is right, we're still missing down-smash, his grab and throws, up-special, n-air, side-special, b-air, jab, d-tilt, and up-tilt. We'll probably get a better look at these in his later presentation.

I'm getting somewhat similar vibes to Byleth here where Sephiroth's range is intended to make up for lackluster frame-data and speed. I hope this isn't the case, because this will most likely end up with him being stuck in the bottom 10 like Byleth, but I do think that one thing he does have going over Byleth even if my prediction here is right is that at least some of his moves seem to cover larger areas around him similarly to Ike (except f-air). In comparison, a lot of Byleth's moves are just straight lines which makes avoiding her moves even easier than it otherwise could be. So he at least has that going for him. There's a high chance I'll be proven wrong in the Sakurai Presents next week, but these are just the early vibes I'm getting from him.

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
So, I went through the trailer trying to break down which moves are which and this is what I came up with

1:15 seems to be f-tilt and then f-smash (f-smash seems to be shown again at 1:46)

1:17 might be f-air? (it sticks him to walls and it looks like he can cancel it by jumping, that's a nice touch)

1:20 is his counter (it looks like some kind of barrier, maybe it can reflect like Palu's?)

1:22 might be up-air? (it's very slow if so, but covers a huge area)

1:26 and 1:29 might be his neutral-b? Seems to be a projectile that takes a second to activate once locked on an opponent, or he can choose when to activate it

1:27 seems to be up-smash

1:35 seems to be his down-air

1:48 might be his side-b?

1:51 seems to be his final smash

Yeah, assuming everything here is right, we're still missing down-smash, his grab and throws, up-special, n-air, side-special, b-air, jab, d-tilt, and up-tilt. We'll probably get a better look at these in his later presentation.

I'm getting somewhat similar vibes to Byleth here where Sephiroth's range is intended to make up for lackluster frame-data and speed. I hope this isn't the case, because this will most likely end up with him being stuck in the bottom 10 like Byleth, but I do think that one thing he does have going over Byleth even if my prediction here is right is that at least some of his moves seem to cover larger areas around him similarly to Ike (except f-air). In comparison, a lot of Byleth's moves are just straight lines which makes avoiding her moves even easier than it otherwise could be. So he at least has that going for him. There's a high chance I'll be proven right or wrong in the Sakurai Presents next week, but these are just the early vibes I'm getting from him.
That's exactly what I am worried about. I if he does have low mobility, I hope he does have at least decent frame data for a sword character to make up for it. I mean the distance Demon archetype can work for competitive play, look at Min Min.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Also, just a side mark, I've been looking at other's reaction on Sephiroth and I'm curious if anybody has actually played the original Final Fantasy 7. Because I feel like nobody has recognized Safer Sephiroth at the very end of the clip. Everyone's like, who is this? What's going on? Is that Keffka? Come on people, I thought Final Fantasy 7 was one of the most popular PS1 games of all time.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Also, just a side mark, I've been looking at other's reaction on Sephiroth and I'm curious if anybody has actually played the original Final Fantasy 7. Because I feel like nobody has recognized Safer Sephiroth at the very end of the clip. Everyone's like, who is this? What's going on? Is that Keffka? Come on people, I thought Final Fantasy 7 was one of the most popular PS1 games of all time.
What's odd to me is that I never really played Final Fantasy VII, and I recognized Safer Sephiroth because my friends would mention it (and Bizarro Sephiroth) fairly frequently when the topic of FFVII came up

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
A majority of the Smash ultimate player base is younger than FF7, it’s honestly not too surprising. Most people even those who’ve never played FF7 atleast recognize Sephiroth and One Winged Angel, he’s one of the most iconic villains in gaming history which is why they are able to get away with adding another swordsman in smash, because I mean come on...it’s freaking Sephiroth!

Regarding gameplay we will have the moveset reveal on the 17th. I cannot imagine he moves with any speed, a character who looks to have the longest reach sans Min Min who’s a different kinda of distance demon is not also going to be able to move at Cloud levels of speed, or atleast I hope not and that would certainly translate to his frame data as well. Even having mediocre speed on something as ranged as what appears to be his ftilt would still be very fast for a move that covers that distance and looks to be something you can angle. Being a sword and not a whip/spear his most reaching moves will travel in an arch rather than a concentrated point like Belmont’s whips or Byleth’s spear so he might not completely invalidate the point in Byleth being the distance demon of Smash due to the difference in how hitboxes would work but I am curious to see.

Also he appears to have a limit mechanic, we see him take damage and sprout his wing which persists during attacks, likely alters his moveset (and hopefully doesn’t grant him Cloud limit levels of mobility buffs).

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
What's odd to me is that I never really played Final Fantasy VII, and I recognized Safer Sephiroth because my friends would mention it (and Bizarro Sephiroth) fairly frequently when the topic of FFVII came up
I wish his Final Smash was Meteor and it acted similar to Moon and Bahaumat Zero's stage attack. Zero's part being the target indicator where the Meteor would land.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Octoslash, the move where he slashes 8 times in a row, shows arrows before Sephiroth hacks away, suggesting it's aimable and a recovery. Hell's Gate, the name given to the stab that killed Aerith, had a bunch of particle effects so I think this is Up B when OWA isn't activated. As for the purple orbs, Sephiroth seemingly does an idle animation suggesting that the orbs explode after a set time like the Crash Bomber. Funny enough Mega Man's trailer also had him idle when the attack went off

Gleam

Smash Ace
I'd be utterly shocked if Sephiroth's Final Smash didn't involve him turning into Safer Sephiroth and using Supernova on someone. Extra points if they make it as long a cutscene as the original, and more extra points , instead of busting through planets, it busts through different locations of Nintendo.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Shoutouts to the fact that we got :ultsephiroth:'s stock icon INSTANTLY this time around.

====================================================================================

Here is my proper analysis on Sephiroth's moveset....
...or that is what I would say, except Mew2King has already did an already very good analysis on him, including frame data.

A few more things to add:
  • He has the special fireball-esque move where it hits the opponent, and then orbs surround the opponent in a set timer before colliding them. Not sure if he used that specific attack before, but surrounding dark orbs is used in his Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 boss fights, where they act identically to that. A big difference between that and Crash Bomber, is that the initial fireball shot stuns the enemy. This seems like a helpful tool given the toolset shown so far.
  • We don't know exactly what One-Winged mode specifically does to Sephiroth yet, as he used entirely different moves than the ones shown in the trailer, so we don't have direct comparisons yet. This is something Cloud's trailer in SSB4 did that Sephiroth's did not, so we are kinda left in the dark for this one.
Overall, unlike Steve's trailer where we were able to relatively piece his moveset/gameplan relatively well judging from his trailer, we have very little information to work off of for Sephiroth. As such, it is impossible to predict how good he is, because we are given with very little.

Fortunately, the wait will be short, as we will get more information (including a release date) in only 6 days from now.

====================================================================================

Some other miscellaneous things to add:
  • There is a lot Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children inspirations for Sephiroth's reveal and design. As a matter of fact, the rendition of One-Winged Angel shown in the trailer is, in fact, the Advent Children version. Mario's "death" scene is a reference to when Sephiroth stabs Cloud in the movie. Both Cloud's and Sephiroth's dialogue in the trailer is directly ported from the movie. Cloud also uses his Advent Children costume for the trailer, which lead up into the new Omnislash. The build-up to the new Omnislash is also plays out like in the movie. Finally, Sephiroth's iconic black wing originated from the movie as well, which seems to be an important part of his design in Smash Bros.
  • Speaking of the new Omnislash, it would seem that patch 10.0 is going to add a visual update to Cloud's Final Smash when he uses the Advent Children costumes. In the AC costumes, he will use Omnislash Ver. 5. This is likely just a visual update, and will function identically to the normal FFVII Cloud Omnislash.
  • Sephiroth's Final Smash is, to be expected, Supernova, his iconic nuclear attack in the final boss fight of FFVII. The activation hitbox is unknown, and it seems to be a similar cutscene Final Smash format as the rest of the DLC characters (sans Piranha Plant). We get to see Safer Sephiroth in all of his PNG glory. :p
  • Sephiroth's inclusion means that Final Fantasy is no longer going to be cursed with just two pieces of music. Even if One-Winged Angel is all they are adding, that is still a major win.
  • Sephiroth's inclusion also means that Final Fantasy is going to receive some spirits. Despite Cloud already existing in the base game, the game is devoid of any spirits from Final Fantasy. Cloud also lacked any character spirits from his home series. All of this is getting changed soon.

======================================================================================

Sephiroth's inclusion also means a second Final Fantasy stage getting added to the game.
It seems to be based off the battlegrounds of Final Fantasy VII's final Jenova fight, near the end of the game.
The stage, judging from the trailer has some stage transitions. It seems like it has a unique tournament legal layout as its base, but we will have to wait and see until we have more information. We don't even know the official name of this stage.

1607718716099.png

===================================================================================

Going to finish off this post with his alternate costumes:
1607718115651.png

His costumes are also very subdued in color tone, like with Cloud, but I feel that the color difference between the costumes are much more noticeable than with Cloud's costumes.
The 5th costume (the white one) sticks out to me the most, as it looks pretty sick imo.
Also, shirtless Sephiroth exists. Something we didn't know we needed until we got it.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
ESAM's :ultpikachu: matchup chart.

Ah ****, here we go again
He actually ordered this when he was making this, the tiers are listed easiest to hardest. And I've noticed that a handful of characters have shifted drastically since his last chart with Ridley probably making the biggest shift of anyone. The one change that personally surprised me the most from his last chart was his placing of Luigi (maybe I only noticed this because I play the character). For a long time, ESAM has been very adamant that the matchup wasn't that bad for Pikachu largely due to how good he believed t-jolt camping to be against him. But now, Luigi's listed as Pikachu's 11th hardest matchup. I don't know if his first to ten that he did with Elegant recently (that Elegant won 10/8, it's on ESAM's Youtube if anyone's curious) may have changed his thoughts on the matchup, but I personally think that his placing of Luigi this time is much more realistic, even if I still believe the matchup if firmly even as opposed to 55:45.

Other than that, I feel like everyone in the 55:45 or Even tier is probably just straight up even rather than being in that tier and I still think Mario wins slightly. I also think he's underrating Cloud, Dr. Mario, and Toon Link a bit in the matchup, I'd put them all a tier higher if I'm being honest. Other than that, I personally don't see much wrong with most of this, but other people here might disagree.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Boop:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
If I'm not mistaken, there's already copyright issues with streaming Midgar and the DQ stage because of FF's composer. This stage might not be tournament legal no matter how competitiviely balanced it turns out to be.

Top Bottom