• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
So I’ve been playing a lot of Corrin lately and...I don’t understand why they’re viewed so poorly...so looking to hear some thoughts on her.

my initial thoughts are:
-good fsmash and Dsmash
-great nair
-good combo game and starters with nair and dtilt
-good bair and upair

-bad recovery even tho it was buffed
-slow and bad disadvantage
-pin is almost awesome but...just isn’t
-neutral b is basically not even a valid projectile

She for sure has places she could improve but I feel like she’s solid?
Is she just outclassed as a sword character?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Outclassed, Smash stigma from the way they were added, perhaps a relatively mild moveset, or some combination of the three may play a factor. There is also some case for them being disliked in general, and, admittedly, they are not the most well liked FE lords (especially poor old Male Corrin). That said, who knows how much original series thoughts and opinions even matter given how many people may know little to nothing about their mains.

In my own experience though, killing does seem to be kind of a pain.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
On the other
I feel like a list like this can work, but it should be established whether moves are being ranked in a vacuum or if it's being ranked in the context of the character's kit because moves like Snake's f-smash or f-air need to be judged totally differently in the context of Snake's kits than they would in a vacuum. These moves are somewhat useful in the context of Snake's specific kit but outside of Snake's kit, most characters may lose a valuable combo tool or a much faster safer f-smash that doesn't require them to set up into if their current moves were replaced with these.

Then there's the buissiness of taking into account special properties such as tough guy, MP, Ink and other character specific abilities. Hero's side-b uses MP but outside of Hero's kit, nobody has access to MP. So is it bad in a vacuum because nobody can use the move or do we just not count that it uses MP? Or do we just rank how good it is in the context of Hero's kit? Same applies to Inkling with her Ink.

ESAM specified none of this which makes critiquing this list hard in areas, but I'm assuming this list is being ranked in a vacuum since his list makes even less sense if we assume he's ranking it in the context of the kit of the character the move belongs to.

Lists like this need to have pretty strict guidelines to make much sense, and I feel like it's easier overall to rank moves in the context of the specific character's kit that the move belongs to rather than in a vacuum, but that's just my opinion.
I agree you cannot look at specific moves in a vacum. But then you have things like :ultrob:d-tilt and :ultsnake: dash attack which would be among the best moves of thier kind on just about any character due to how insanely effective they are

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Tweek posted what he thinks are the best moves in the game

Arthur97

Smash Master
Is Ness' back throw really the strongest in the game anymore? Either way, throws especially probably need something to really set them apart, and they can also fall into the area of working for some but not others. That said, yeah, Cargo Throw definitely sets itself apart from other throws.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Is Ness' back throw really the strongest in the game anymore? Either way, throws especially probably need something to really set them apart, and they can also fall into the area of working for some but not others. That said, yeah, Cargo Throw definitely sets itself apart from other throws.
It's still stronger than Incineroar's due to Incineroar's higher base knockback.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Collision Online top 8

Winners Side

Peabnut :ultmegaman: vs SuperStriker :ultsonic:

Tweek :ultwario::ultwolf: vs Epic_Gabriel :ultrob:

Losers Side

RavenKing :ultike: vs TonyZTank :ultsonic:

Raffi-X :ultrob: vs Sharp :ultsheik::ultwolf:

Sonic and R.O.B continue to be among the most sucessful and commonly seen characters in these Online tournaments. Altough in R.O.B's case it has to do with having a large playerbase in general.

Maister had poor luck running into Ravenking again. Despite falling out of favor a while ago. Ike seems pretty much :ultgnw: worst MU

Last edited:

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
So I’ve been playing a lot of Corrin lately and...I don’t understand why they’re viewed so poorly...so looking to hear some thoughts on her.

my initial thoughts are:
-good fsmash and Dsmash
-great nair
-good combo game and starters with nair and dtilt
-good bair and upair

-bad recovery even tho it was buffed
-slow and bad disadvantage
-pin is almost awesome but...just isn’t
-neutral b is basically not even a valid projectile

She for sure has places she could improve but I feel like she’s solid?
Is she just outclassed as a sword character?
I dont think she's completely terrible, like you said she has a few things going for her. But, unless you're really a fan of Corrin or her game or something, why would you ever play her? Shes outclassed by every other sword fighter in the game and doesnt really have any particular thing that makes her stand apart from the others

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Corrin's main problem is that his/her kit seems at least decent on paper despite all ther flaws. But Corrins big problem is they really do not get enough reward for really any of it. They have decent low percent combos but after that they really have nothing to really try to control the match. In most castes they generally have to make a hard commitment to get a kill. All of this leads to the risk vs reward factor being skewed heavily against them.

Byleth despite having similar issues to Corrin at least gets strong reward and can take stocks very early

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Move lists are inherently flawed but I like Tweek's a lot better than ESAM's. ESAM putting :ultgnw:'s Usmash as the best?! It's slow as heck. Mario's does the exact same thing but is like 11 frames faster. Neither reach BF's platforms which is a big con in my book.

I've talked about :ultcorrin: before. Mid tier. S/he seems like a watered down cross between Ike and Lucina.
Collision Online top 8

Winners Side

Peabnut :ultmegaman: vs SuperStriker :ultsonic:

Tweek :ultwario::ultwolf: vs Epic_Gabriel :ultrob:

Losers Side

RavenKing :ultike: vs TonyZTank :ultsonic:

Raffi-X :ultrob: vs Sharp :ultsheik::ultwolf:

Sonic and R.O.B continue to be among the most sucessful and commonly seen characters in these Online tournaments. Altough in R.O.B's case it has to do with having a large playerbase in general.

Maister had poor luck running into Ravenking again. Despite falling out of favor a while ago. Ike seems pretty much :ultgnw: worst MU
Ike's underrated. I'm not going to use recent placements as support because they are wifi but Ike is a terrible MU for several characters like G&W and imo YL. Ike's still a strong character.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Move lists are inherently flawed but I like Tweek's a lot better than ESAM's. ESAM putting :ultgnw:'s Usmash as the best?! It's slow as heck. Mario's does the exact same thing but is like 11 frames faster. Neither reach BF's platforms which is a big con in my book.

I've talked about :ultcorrin: before. Mid tier. S/he seems like a watered down cross between Ike and Lucina.

Ike's underrated. I'm not going to use recent placements as support because they are wifi but Ike is a terrible MU for several characters like G&W and imo YL. Ike's still a strong character.
G&W's up-smash is -6 on shield compared to Mario's -21 on shield.

Rizen

Smash Legend
G&W's up-smash is -6 on shield compared to Mario's -21 on shield.
Mario's Usmash rarely gets punished anyway and you're ignoring all the massive flaws to G&W's Usmash. It's frame 21: a hard read. Ganon's Usmash for reference is frame 20. And it's huge. G&W's sucks OoS and sucks for platform pressure. It's just a hard read tool that's hard to punish for characters without disjoints or projectiles.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace

• :ultgnw:'s up-smash is good, but I agree, it's somewhat punishable when it misses (and doesn't hit shield), it's a pretty big commitment (a lot of startup lag), it's bad at covering platforms, and it's bad OOS. I'd argue for :ultsnake::ultcharizard: and :ultwolf: having better up-smashes than :ultgnw: and maybe :ultluigi::ultdoc: and :ultolimar: as well. :ultgnw:'s is good, but there are other ones that share some of the strengths of his with less drawbacks as well, with :ultdoc:'s especially just coming off as a slightly better version of :ultgnw:'s with less invincibility.
  • I think Corrin is low tier personally, but she does have some niche matchups against some good characters. She definitely wins against both :ultrosalina: and :ultness:, might win against :ultolimar: and does OK against :ultyoshi: and :ultgnw:. I think her main problem is that she gets bodied hard by several top/high tiers (:ultpalutena::ultsheik: and :ultpikachu: especially) and that I also see quite a few low mid/low tiers doing fine against her as well. I don't think :ultganondorf: or :ultkrool: do too terribly against her (these could legitimately be even matchups) I think :ultdk: might win against her, :ultridley: is probably hard for her, and :ultsimon: may also be hard for her. I just don't see too much good about her as a character (she's slow, lacks a good combo game, recovery is gimpable, no good zoning or anti-zoning tools), although I don't think she's the worst character in the game like MVD does.

Last edited:
NNID
User7a1
Maister's loss to Ravenking was due to the former losing power twice in games 2 and 3, resulting him being DQ'ed from the tournament. Maister actually had a 100% lead on the last stock against Ravenking in game 3.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
ESAM made a list of the best of each move the other day.

jab: Chrom
ftilt: Lucas
dtilt: ROB
utilt: Snake
dash attack: Snake
F-smash: Mario
D-smash: G&W
U-smash: G&W
Nair: Shulk
Fair: Pikachu
Dair: ROB
Bair: Pikachu
Uair: G&W
Neutral B: Pikachu
Side B: Sonic
Down B: ZSS
Up B: G&W
Zair: ZSS

I heavily disagree with a few certain moves on this list.

• I think the best F-Smash is not :ultmario:. His is very good, due to it's speed, power, and range, but there are betters ones. :ultpacman::ultroy::ultmetaknight::ultchrom::ultlucina: and :ultvillager: have the 6 best f-smashes in my opinion, and I'd lean towards :ultmetaknight:'s being the best. It's not the fastest of this group, but it's the safest (it's only -6 on shield), one of the most disjointed, and it's incredibly strong. It's a large part of :ultmetaknight:'s ground game in Ultimate and I feel like it's probably the best one.
  • For up-smash, I'd put :ultsnake: over :ultgnw: and possibly :ultcharizard: and :ultwolf: as well. :ultsnake:'s has way too much utility for it not to be the best one in my opinion. It's a kill option, ledgetrapping option, covers landings, covers platforms, and has a great hitbox.
  • N-air is a bit debatable, but I'd say that :ultshulk:'s is more useful in the context of his kit than it would be on a lot of characters. It's (IMO) because of Speed Art and Buster Art allowing him to combo off it easier, because otherwise, while this move does cover a lot of space, is hard to punish, and has a long lasting hitbox, it doesn't do too much. I'm not really sure who has the best n-air, but I'd still lean towards :ultpalutena:, even after the nerf, but there are other characters who could be contenders as well like :ultrob::ultike::ultsheik::ultpacman: and :ultluigi:.
  • The best neutral-b is Monado Arts. I don't care what ESAM says about T-Jolt 'winning more matchups.' Monado Arts allows any character to adapt much better in any given situation and gives them escape options that no other character has. It can change the way you use certain moves entirely and make them far more useful than they otherwise would be. And even if Monado Arts didn't exist, I'd still lean towards Charge Shot and Shadow Ball being better than T-Jolt as well, due to their ability to cover options and camp while having actual kill power (something T-Jolt lacks).
  • The best Z-air is :ultluigi:'s. It lacks the recovery potential of the others, but it's better in pretty much every other way. It's an edgeguarding tool, it has good range, it ledgetraps, it combos into grab, it combos into kill moves, it covers landing, it's fairly safe, and the hitbox stays out for 54 frames. The only z-air that even comes close to being this good, is :ultlucas:'s but only if he is able to DJC it and use it as a combo tool. Otherwise, even his is nowhere near as good as :ultluigi:'s.
Additionally, I want to add the f-tilt argument. While :ultlucas:'s f-tilt is undeniably good, it is also plagued with a pretty noticeable sourspot hitbox around the sweetspot: one that is both low reward and also unsafe at hit in low percents. 2-framing with his f-tilt is also not as free as some other f-tilts, as the timing and spacing are both very specific, and you are better off using Lucas' other edgeguarding tools.
It would prefer something like :ultbowser::ultwolf::ultchrom: or :ultrichter: f-tilt, who have bigger hitboxes, not AS spacing reliant, more consistent on KO'ing because of the lack of sourspots (except for Belmonts, and more reliable for 2-framing (at least in the case for Bowser and Wolf).

Tweek posted what he thinks are the best moves in the game
I do like Tweek's list better, although I am curious on why he considers :ultmetaknight:'s down air as the best down air.

Dr. Mario's and Incineroar's are stronger without D.I., but with D.I., Ness' still remains supreme.

-good fsmash and Dsmash
-great nair
When playing around with Corrin, I noticed that her f-smash and d-smash are both very flawed despite looking good on paper.
F-smash has a deceptively narrow hitbox and cannot KO for the life of it unless it is sweetspotted. I also had instances in which I successfully whiff-punish a move from the opponent, but the move, for no apparent reason, clanks with the opponent's hitboxes, stealing what would be the KO.
D-smash is more reliable, but it only really KOs if the back hit tippers, which again, is not really reliable.

Corrin nair is good, but not amazing. It mostly has to due with the move's hitboxes. Unlike, let's say, Palutena's nair, there are less active hitboxes around Corrin at a given time. Also for a ranged character with limited mobility, the move oftentimes isn't as big as you want to.

Corrin's main problem is that his/her kit seems at least decent on paper despite all ther flaws. But Corrins big problem is they really do not get enough reward for really any of it. They have decent low percent combos but after that they really have nothing to really try to control the match. In most castes they generally have to make a hard commitment to get a kill. All of this leads to the risk vs reward factor being skewed heavily against them.

Byleth despite having similar issues to Corrin at least gets strong reward and can take stocks very early
Risk vs reward is the main issue with Corrin.
Corrin has a very limited approach in this game due to her rather sluggish mobility, and lack of reliable approach tools and ways of forcing approaches. However, once she gets in, she gets very little, while her disadvantage is also lackluster.
:ultdoc::ultganondorf: are plagued with two of the worst approaches in the entire game, with poor disadvantage states to boot (especially offstage), but they at least get solid to great reward for finally getting in.

It is also coupled with a struggle to KO and moves that are solid at best.

The comparison to :ultbyleth: made in Ziodyne's post is correct, but there is another important comparison to be made:
Byleth's moveset is built and made for his slow mobility, as well as having better buttons overall.
Corrin's moveset does not. It is a moveset that encourages a playstyle like the Marthlings, but she lacks the buttons and the mobility to do it.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Oh, and back to the throws, is there anything that makes Snake's down "throw" inherently better than a bury throw? If anything, making them prone seems like it would potentially limit follow ups in a vacuum.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Oh, and back to the throws, is there anything that makes Snake's down "throw" inherently better than a bury throw? If anything, making them prone seems like it would potentially limit follow ups in a vacuum.
Prehaps plus with the possible mixups Snaks d-throw has it also leads to a true kill confirm after 160% for so from an f-tilt . I call it the 'Fission Mailed' ..hey all other notable true kill -confirms of grab having names, Also it can even kill earlier with that with a f-tilt near the ledge. Unlike other burying attacks/throws no amount of mashing can possibly save you from them

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Prehaps plus with the possible mixups Snaks d-throw has it also leads to a true kill confirm after 160% for so from an f-tilt . I call it the 'Fission Mailed' ..hey all other notable true kill -confirms of grab having names, Also it can even kill earlier with that with a f-tilt near the ledge. Unlike other burying attacks/throws no amount of mashing can possibly save you from them
But don't the bury throws generally net KOs sooner (at least compared to that confirm you mentioned)? They may lack the same mix ups, though you can still call out a release. K. Rool's might even net them earlier if he was faster. Either way, it doesn't seem exceptionally better if it can even decisively be called better. And, again, if in a vacuum, how many fighters could capitalize on Snake's down throw better or at least as well as they could a more basic bury?

Also, if that counts as a kill confirm, how do bury throws not count when the opponent is at really high percent as well and won't realistically get out before that smash attack wallops them?

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
While some bury throws are good their usefulness usually depends on higher percentage until they lead into anything without some read. They (ROB and to a very much lesser extent K.Rool and Banjo) are still good throws but they don’t have quite the utility that Snake has with his.

Snake’s down throw let’s him get a follow up at any percentage as long as he covers his opponents escape options correctly. With nades and C4 he’s able to cover multiple options at once with down throw. Very few characters have throws that let them get followups at any percentage not even the bury throws can do that. By correctly calling out the opponent’s escape option Snake can get so much off one down throw that a bury simply couldn’t.

Arthur97

Smash Master
To be fair, you can call out a lower percent bury as to if they mash or if they don't. Well, maybe not as much R.O.B.

However, you mentioned a key point. nades and C4. Most fighters don't really have anything like that. So while Snake's may work for him, would it work for others?

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, you can call out a lower percent bury as to if they mash or if they don't. Well, maybe not as much R.O.B.

However, you mentioned a key point. nades and C4. Most fighters don't really have anything like that. So while Snake's may work for him, would it work for others?
Yeah it's literally a tech chase. Pretty much everyone has great options out of tech chasing and get some massive punishes regardless of %. Anyone who doesn't have true follow ups out of a throw (incl. throws that bury) would kill for that off of a grab, and even those like Wolf who do have true throw follow ups would get a lot more out of Snake's down throw after 30%.
Imagine Roy tech chasing you off a down throw at 60 and fsmashing you and you'll get the gist of how ridiculously good this throw is.

Tangentially related: nobody's mentioned Snake can true combo dthrow > utilt too, which is not only true earlier than ftilt but will kill earlier as well, and is also safer if you do somehow screw it up. You're killing sub-150% with that on almost everyone, almost everywhere. For a throw, that is really good, and other characters with quick smashes (like Chrom/Roy, who has a f6 down smash, tied with Snake utilt) could do more or less the same thing.

It's much harder to react to someone breaking out of a bury too. The yellow flash is very little practical help and the opponent can do an action straight away when they break out. There's loads of variables with buries and it ultimately leads to a lot more guessing games and what-ifs than a simple tech chase.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Forcing a tech chase is incredibly strong and versatile no matter what, it's basically free strong oki off a grab. I'd go as far as saying Snake's dthrow is the best throw in the game in general, especially on him. (Though I do think pretty much any character would want it)

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The thing about the bury throws is they are so conditional on mashing. Sometimes you get a kill around 120 as ROB, but other times you'll run into a good masher and they will escape at 170+. His upthrow is a more consistent stock capper and that was nerfed in the transition to this game!

Snake gives a hardcap to a stock at 160, and below that the 50/50s it gives can kill super early.

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
So im curious, what is the consensus on :ultmetaknight:? I never see any gameplay of his, I dont know any notable meta knight players, yet he always seems firmly planted in mid tier on most tier lists. I know his strengths include a great recovery and disadvantage state, but what else does he have going for him?

Also if anyone has some notable :ultmetaknight: players to watch, since I'm curious about watching him at high levels of play. If I'm not mistaken, Abadango dropped him, although maybe he still uses him in some match-ups?

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
The thing about the bury throws is they are so conditional on mashing. Sometimes you get a kill around 120 as ROB, but other times you'll run into a good masher and they will escape at 170+. His upthrow is a more consistent stock capper and that was nerfed in the transition to this game!

Snake gives a hardcap to a stock at 160, and below that the 50/50s it gives can kill super early.
To be fair, I think his is the weakest of the three bury throws in terms of bury length, but he's also the most relevant so I guess I can see why people seem to default to him.

So, okay, apparently once again Snake gets another best of move. Who thought putting all these moves on him was a good idea? Then again, he still remains not the best so I guess it isn't the worst thing possible.

Edit: Okay, thinking over, maybe not too many best ofs, but Snake does tilt me rather easily. Nades and Nikita especially. I think he may be the least fun fighter to go against for me.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I heavily disagree with a few certain moves on this list.

• I think the best F-Smash is not :ultmario:. His is very good, due to it's speed, power, and range, but there are betters ones. :ultpacman::ultroy::ultmetaknight::ultchrom::ultlucina: and :ultvillager: have the 6 best f-smashes in my opinion, and I'd lean towards :ultmetaknight:'s being the best. It's not the fastest of this group, but it's the safest (it's only -6 on shield), one of the most disjointed, and it's incredibly strong. It's a large part of :ultmetaknight:'s ground game in Ultimate and I feel like it's probably the best one.
  • For up-smash, I'd put :ultsnake: over :ultgnw: and possibly :ultcharizard: and :ultwolf: as well. :ultsnake:'s has way too much utility for it not to be the best one in my opinion. It's a kill option, ledgetrapping option, covers landings, covers platforms, and has a great hitbox.
  • N-air is a bit debatable, but I'd say that :ultshulk:'s is more useful in the context of his kit than it would be on a lot of characters. It's (IMO) because of Speed Art and Buster Art allowing him to combo off it easier, because otherwise, while this move does cover a lot of space, is hard to punish, and has a long lasting hitbox, it doesn't do too much. I'm not really sure who has the best n-air, but I'd still lean towards :ultpalutena:, even after the nerf, but there are other characters who could be contenders as well like :ultrob::ultike::ultsheik::ultpacman: and :ultluigi:.
  • The best neutral-b is Monado Arts. I don't care what ESAM says about T-Jolt 'winning more matchups.' Monado Arts allows any character to adapt much better in any given situation and gives them escape options that no other character has. It can change the way you use certain moves entirely and make them far more useful than they otherwise would be. And even if Monado Arts didn't exist, I'd still lean towards Charge Shot and Shadow Ball being better than T-Jolt as well, due to their ability to cover options and camp while having actual kill power (something T-Jolt lacks).
  • The best Z-air is :ultluigi:'s. It lacks the recovery potential of the others, but it's better in pretty much every other way. It's an edgeguarding tool, it has good range, it ledgetraps, it combos into grab, it combos into kill moves, it covers landing, it's fairly safe, and the hitbox stays out for 54 frames. The only z-air that even comes close to being this good, is :ultlucas:'s but only if he is able to DJC it and use it as a combo tool. Otherwise, even his is nowhere near as good as :ultluigi:'s.
With the exception of Meta Knight, all of those FSmashes you listed are far less safe on shield than Mario's and also have a lot more recovery on top of em. Lucina's in particular is obscenely punishable. I can't think of many cases a character would want it over certain other ones in spite of having a more generous disjoint (unless your character lacks a good aerial punishing move which even then Mario can angle his attack), and I don't see any way it's stronger than Mario's outside of the fact that Lucina just has to use it more since she's relatively short on safe raw kill moves. You won't be seeing Mario throw out as many FSmashes as the other characters but he kinda doesn't really need to, he's strapped to the teeth with ways to KO characters that his FSmash is treated more as a spot check, and that he has an attack that's relatively safe to space, on top of being able to end stocks at crazy early percents, makes it a whole lot scarier to anticipate than any of the ones you mentioned.

I think the only character that measures up to Mario's FSmash is Sonic's. His range is dummy stupid despite managing to be slightly safer, though he does lack that obnoxiously overtuned kill power that Mario commits highway robbery with (even while still having good kill power).

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
So im curious, what is the consensus on :ultmetaknight:? I never see any gameplay of his, I dont know any notable meta knight players, yet he always seems firmly planted in mid tier on most tier lists. I know his strengths include a great recovery and disadvantage state, but what else does he have going for him?

Also if anyone has some notable :ultmetaknight: players to watch, since I'm curious about watching him at high levels of play. If I'm not mistaken, Abadango dropped him, although maybe he still uses him in some match-ups?
I honestly can't give you a well-informed personal opinion on meta knight (since I so rarely encounter MK mains in Ultimate), but I do know that Bonk is a pretty notable high level player with the character. I'd check him out to see more meta knight gameplay if youre interested.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
While I am not sure :ultrob:dair is the best in the game by overall utility standards . The fact that its spike hitbox lasts a whole 7 frames make it one of the best moves despite its somewhat slow startup . No wonder why it's so effective vs characters that generally need to recover vertically below the ledge i.e :ultfox::ultjoker:.

I guess that is a reason many Fox mains are saying R.O.B is a losing MU

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I do like Tweek's list better, although I am curious on why he considers :ultmetaknight:'s down air as the best down air.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Collision Online

1st: Tweek:ultwario::ultwolf:
2nd: Epic_Gabriel:ultrob::ultken:
3rd: Peabnut:ultmegaman:
4th: Sharp:ultsheik::ultwolf::ultjoker:
5th: SuperStriker:ultsonic:
5th: Ravenking:ultike:
7th: Raffi-X:ultrob:
7th: TonyZTank:ultsonic:
9th: colinies:ultyounglink::ultroy::ultwolf:
9th: MiLe:ultyoshi:
9th: SuperGirlKels:ultsonic:
9th: Sinji:ultpacman:
13th: Sonix:ultsonic:
13th: The6Master:ultpacman:
13th: holopup:ultpalutena:
13th: Bankai:ultpokemontrainer::ultzss:

I like how pretty much all the top Sonic players in the world, aside from KEN and Wrath, decided to participate in this one single tournament.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Collision Online

1st: Tweek:ultwario::ultwolf:
2nd: Epic_Gabriel:ultrob::ultken:
3rd: Peabnut:ultmegaman:
4th: Sharp:ultsheik::ultwolf::ultjoker:
5th: SuperStriker:ultsonic:
5th: Ravenking:ultike:
7th: Raffi-X:ultrob:
7th: TonyZTank:ultsonic:
9th: colinies:ultyounglink::ultroy::ultwolf:
9th: MiLe:ultyoshi:
9th: SuperGirlKels:ultsonic:
9th: Sinji:ultpacman:
13th: Sonix:ultsonic:
13th: The6Master:ultpacman:
13th: holopup:ultpalutena:
13th: Bankai:ultpokemontrainer::ultzss:

I like how pretty much all the top Sonic players in the world, aside from KEN and Wrath, decided to participate in this one single tournament.
That's a lot of :ultsonic:, and I have a feeling we'll continue seeing a lot of him in wifi tournament results unless there's some kind of ban/ruleset change put in place in the near future.

Other than that, there are a few other characters with multiple reps here: :ultwolf: was used by 3 players, :ultpacman: by 2, and :ultrob: also by 2. Interesting to note that 3/4 Sonic players in Top 16 were beat by Peabnut's :ultmegaman: at some point and while that is generally considered to be a losing matchup for Sonic (except maybe by some optimistic Sonic players), that is a pretty good achievement considering what Sonic online is capable of.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I actually disagree with Corrin's Fsmash being bad because of one reason. She can easily hold you in place with it then angle the direction of the smash to cover any SDI you try to get out of it.
A decent Corrin player manged to quick drop fsmash on me and even though I put my shield up in time she simply held the smash until my shield was about to break. Dodge rolling was no good as it caught my dodge roll then she angled the smash upwards and it was a ko despite not being sweetspotted.

Nah

Smash Champion
I also had instances in which I successfully whiff-punish a move from the opponent, but the move, for no apparent reason, clanks with the opponent's hitboxes, stealing what would be the KO.
Part of that is just how a lot more stuff in this series is allowed to clank than probably should be. The other part is that, iirc, Corrin's Fsmash in Smash 4 was coded to more easily clank (I guess the phrase would be "have low priority"), and that likely carried over to Ultimate.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Pichu and possibly Pikachu can plank with Up-B.
I'm curious to see if this will get patched out in the update that adds the ARMS character. Luigi had a somewhat similar glitch with Luigi Cyclone where he got additional invincibility if he used it sliding off the BF platform which was patched out fairly quickly after it was discovered. That was way less abusable than this though and I do hope this gets patched out.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Pichu and possibly Pikachu can plank with Up-B.
I heard that Pika can do this too, but it is much more specific.

However, this isn't really that big of deal:
1) You can swat them during their travel, especially in Pichu's case since its version has no hitbox.
2) This would be legitimate strategy if it was not for the fact that this is Smash Ultimate: ledge trumping exists.
3) It also seems to be Battlefield and maybe Yoshi's Story specific tech.
4) Pichu's recoil damage puts a limit to how much he can do anyways.

I'm curious to see if this will get patched out in the update that adds the ARMS character. Luigi had a somewhat similar glitch with Luigi Cyclone where he got additional invincibility if he used it sliding off the BF platform which was patched out fairly quickly after it was discovered. That was way less abusable than this though and I do hope this gets patched out.
It is not really the same, since Luigi's version is invincibility not at the ledge.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Speaking about Ledge Trumping, GIMR released another video explaining why sometimes you can't Ledge Trump correctly.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace

Character Representation for OrionStats:

1590517762726.png

I didn't count secondaries but based on that list, this is the character representation for the Top 100 players (I may have screwed up on one or two, hopefully not).

This is only based on slightly over 2.5 months of data, so some things on here may look weird, but I think there are some interesting things to note here:

• Dark Wizzy is ranked much higher on here than on the PGR (22nd > 9th, and I'm guessing that would have continued into 2020).
  • ESAM also had a decent jump going from 14th to 8th, entering the Top 10. Not sure if that would have continued going forward.
  • Wrath is ranked 20th, likely due to his Top 8 placing at Frostbite. Toast is ranked 22nd most likely for the same reason.
  • In terms of characters, :ultrosalina: has 3 players who ended up in the Top 100 and even though Dabuz does use her as a co-main, this is still a huge leap up from the days before she was buffed and was considered to be a Bottom 10 character who most people had given up hope in.
  • :ultdk::ultkirby: and :ultbayonetta: all have mains who barely made it into the Top 100: HIKARU, Shadow_PR, and Jesuischoq.
  • Interestingly, :ultlink: has no representation in the Top 100 of OrionStats, making him the only character who seems to be universally considered high tier to not have any ranked players on this list.

Attachments

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Wait, Chrom had one more player than Roy?

Also, I thought Snake hadn't been doing too much lately. Seems a bit odd that he's tied for the most top players.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
  • ESAM also had a decent jump going from 14th to 8th, entering the Top 10. Not sure if that would have continued going forward.
ESAM making the jump makes sense since he got 3rd at Glitch 8 and 4th at Genesis 7, although he did not participate in Frostbite.

It is very hard to make assumptions on the season as a whole because we only got 3 (realistically 2) months of tourneys to work with.

Wait, Chrom had one more player than Roy?
The amount of Chrom players on the rankings surprised me as well.
Then again, most of his top players are at Europe, and it rankings has taken European placements more strongly than the PGR does.

Top Bottom