• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Well I can see people agree :ultrob: disadvantage is not as horrible as claimed. He has stalling ability with his recovery offstage and on to help him ledegrab or land safely as well as mixups using his projectiles. D-tilt is also a very strong "get off me" option on the ground. Of course he has a combo-food big body without the benfit of being a superheavy, plus he can really struggle at the ledge if he does not have Gyro. But R.O.B has actual options at least, which is more than most big-body characters can claim. Still surprised Goblin put him in "Decent" tier though

On the flipside of the argument what characters does everyone think have the strongest or most effective advantage states in the game. Some obvious choices are :ultrob::ultwario::ultpeach::ultluigi::ultroy: :ultbowser:and :ultjoker:with Arsene. However there are mant characters with underated advantage states in my opinion. With some examples notablly held back because they are notabally flawed in other aspects of gameplay

Characters like :ultincineroar::ultganondorf::ultdoc: I do not consider having top-tier advantage states. While we know they hit uber-hard and can potentially take stocks like at 60-70 with a good read. They are way too slow in both mobilty and/or best offensive options to press their adavantage once they can start it. :ultbyleth: also kinda falls in this trap as well
IMO, you nailed most of the characters with the best disadvantage states. :ultrob::ultwario::ultpeach::ultluigi::ultroy::ultbowser: and :ultjoker: are all great examples. I'd add :ultchrom: onto the list (for similar reasons as to Roy). His disadvantage is arguably worse, but his advantage state is just as good (if not better in some scenarios) especially when his opponent is above him since his up-air is so good for juggles and catching landings.

I'd say :ultfalco: is worth an honorable mention. His neutral ranges somewhere from incredibly lackluster to pretty OK depending on the matchup, but if he somehow finds a way win neutral and lands an up-tilt, chances are you are going to take a lot of damage. He does have an issue with killing onstage sometimes, but the amount of damage he deals makes me feel like I should mention him.

I think :ultyounglink: (now that he has better kill moves after 7.0.0) should be worth a mention as well. Like Falco, he can struggle to kill, but his neutral is much better, meaning that he can get himself into advantage state much easier than Falco. And (like Falco) he deals a lot of damage very quickly.

Edit: :ultsnake: and :ultwiifittrainer: also have really good advantage states.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
When Zelda is cornered, though--not just at ledge, off stage, or in the air--she loses access to Phantom, because most characters can punish her for trying to use it from too close. This means that not only does she suffer the usual risk of being in the corner, but she also loses access to her best neutral option. Other characters don't lose the core of their neutral when they lose stage control--ROB still has Gyro, Pika still has Quick Attack, Peach still has float-cancelled aerials. Zelda can fade offstage to Phantom still, but then she purposefully puts herself on ledge.
It's a bit more complex than that.

Zelda and Sheik are similar enough in playstyle and what they're looking for at each spacing and game state that I consider them functionally echo fighters of each other. Zelda trades speed for power. Not just in the sense of damage output and knockback, but in hitboxs as well. If Sheik uses speed to maneuver around opponents and whiff punish, Zelda uses brute force to overpower her opponents.

Sheik needs to maintain a specific spacing in order to stay out of the range of superior hitboxs, but still within range to punish whiffs or interrupt startups. Zelda coincidentally also needs to maintain that same spacing in order to overpower her opponent's hitbox. With a few exceptions, Zelda's moves are only a couple frames shy of Sheik's and they often share similar outcomes.

But Sheik has issues with hitbox priority, where Zelda does not. You can really see it when Void gets cornered and has to rely on Fair to hopefully carry him through. People might bring up speed and frame data, but looking through Sheik's frame data will yield rather high shield disadvantage on Sheik's moves. Higher than Zelda's in some cases. Actually Zelda is safer on shield in the relevant moves. It speaks to Sheik's need to properly space her moves, something that isn't really possible to do in such close quarters.

You can point to Sheik's aerials then, but that's where it gets tricky. Adding in jump squat, Nair and Fair are effectively frame 6 and frame 8 respectively and aren't necessarily safe in that situation on hit, depending on certain factors. But more importantly, they're not the biggest hitboxs and they aren't that far from other aerials. That frame data would also be on par with Zelda's ground moves too.

And this is one of the major differences between Sheik and Zelda, in that Zelda doesn't have that issue with her hitboxs and she can beat out quite a lot of others. Instead of opponents aggressively going in and trying to force a trade or brute force through hitboxs like with Sheik, opponents tend to be more careful with spacing around Zelda. That naturally creates a bubble of space and helps put opponents in the range Zelda wants them in.

Because one of the things that most people miss about Zelda, is that she doesn't necessarily want to avoid an opponent's move or be fast enough to preempt, but trade and beat out moves entirely. She's got some massive disjoints on her and being fairly ground based, she doesn't have the extra frames a jump squat would give. This puts her roughly around Sheik in frame data, but more options and better hitboxs at this range.

So you don't need to be fast enough to preempt your opponent, you just need to be fast enough to time your moves to brute force through theirs. Having hitboxs with frame data in the 4-10 range with priority greater than most similar moves is perfectly fine. Then there's her potent OoS game, where poking her shield the wrong way can lead to instant death. And all of these moves will knock her opponent back far enough even at low percents to put her in more optimal spacing.

It's important to remember that the one thing Zelda has always been good at is defense. Even back in Smash 4, she was infamous for this until her opponent stopped approaching. Phantom doesn't protect her from this range, it gives her options in the mid to long range that weren't there before. Zelda actually thrives in this situation more than most. Having hitboxs that big with frame data that quick means she doesn't need much room to work in.

This is also why, contrary to popular belief, she is difficult to play online. Lag makes it difficult to react to approaches and time your moves to them. It's not about mashing Nayru when your opponent twitches at you and praying it wasn't a feint, it's about understanding the options contained in that approach relative to your options and timing a counter that won't leave you dry on a whiff. There's plenty of options there, it's just about choosing the right one, which is part of what makes it difficult to be good with her.

So we can then say that Sheik relies on having breathing room to maintain that spacing and when you limit her space, things become difficult. Inversely, Zelda does better being on defense since it focuses her opponent's movement around her and allows her to whiff punish, instead of trying to chase her much quicker opponent around the stage. You can kill with Phantom, but it's quicker if isn't staled. So you're going to want her near her opponent at some point.

And given that, I don't think it's sacrilegious to say that Zelda's disadvantage is "not bad" and put Sheik's as worse. The perception of Zelda's disadvantage is skewed, because a good chunk of the popular and meta relevant characters can punish it. If you compare it to the cast as a whole, there are many characters that have difficulty doing so and that's why it's so difficult to kill Zelda. Sheik's disadvantage is mostly universal throughout the cast and thus is going to be worse on the whole.

Watch some of ven's losing games and take note of how often he just can't get out of the corner when he's losing.
One caveat I didn't mention above are teleport cancels and Phantom displacement. The teleport cancels are self-explanatory and the Phantom displacement puts Zelda behind Phantom as it's charging. This makes using it up close more safe than it otherwise would and the new buffs make it safer on hit for the earlier charges. You just don't see much adoption of this tech among top Zelda mains and that makes her meta immature. Zelda mains are a lazy bunch and are averse to formal study and learning tech.

ven himself admits he doesn't practice for tournaments and is "just good." It took him a few months before he even bothered using Phantom. Samsora announcing he may potentially pick Zelda up after the buffs and learning tech, spurred ven into finally learning it, but I didn't see him use it in any subsequent tournaments. Top Zelda mains ultimately just don't have the skill and work ethic Void does and they don't push her meta as much as he does Sheik.

So until such a scenario happens, I'd take what you see from top Zelda play with a grain of salt.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Ness definitely needs to be in talks of having a top tier advantage state. PKT alone makes it so busted at times. Before you even factor in his damage output, kill power and oppressive ledge presence.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I can tell that you've been thinking about this for quite some time, S StoicPhantom , but the Sheik/Zelda comparison totally falls short.

Whiff punishing and maneuvering around opponents vs. "using brute force to overpower opponents/looking for trades" are two fundamentally different playstyles.

I've been playing these two characters pretty much exclusively for a good while, and they're nothing alike in my experience.

Their short hop differences alone completely change the pace of the games in which they're playing. Zelda's short hop involves 9 more frames in the air, and Sheik has literally double the gravity, meaning that getting in against a Sheik is fundamentally a different process.

This is like saying that Roy and Lucina are echoes, or like, I don't know, Inkling and Kirby or something.

I'm not going to parse the rest of your frame data comparisons, but we all know that Zelda likes trades more than Sheik. That should be obvious to anyone who's played either character or played against either character.

Needles is fundamentally different from anything Zelda has, as is Sheik's f-tilt (comparable frame data to dash attack, but serves a different purpose), and their grabs (Sheik has the fastest standing grab in the game, at f6--Zelda's is f10, worlds apart).

So we can then say that Sheik relies on having breathing room to maintain that spacing and when you limit her space,
Zelda actually thrives in this situation more than most.
I think you have it backwards. Every character in the game benefits from having breathing room to dash back and jump and fade and whatever else. It's just that most characters only lose the dashback when they're cornered. Zelda also loses Phantom. It's a matter of losing more in the transition.

No one thrives in the corner, even Zelda with her decent defensive game. Stage control is always useful no matter what character you play. Zelda plays grounded because her air acceleration is bad and she has to. Spinning this as an advantage doesn't work. Playing grounded is better for almost every character, but aerial play is available to most.

S4 Zelda's defensive game was much better than Ultimate Zelda's defensive game without Phantom, mostly because of higher jumpsquats castwide and lower mobility. Ultimate Zelda is a different beast.

And given that, I don't think it's sacrilegious to say that Zelda's disadvantage is "not bad" and put Sheik's as worse.
Sheik's got an f2 airdodge with 10 frames less lag, higher air speed, access to a better fastfall, and almost 50% better air acceleration. Even if n-air is compared to Naryu's Love and Bouncing Fish to Warp cancels, it's hard to see Zelda as being better in disadvantage in just about any way--adding to this, I don't even think Sheik is particularly strong in disadvantage, so again I don't really see the point of the comparison.

You just don't see much adoption of this tech among top Zelda mains and that makes her meta immature.
Phantom Displacement could change things for Zelda, but until we see it live in high-level play, we can't make assumptions about how it affects her disadvantage (or anything at all). It's too abstract at this point in time, just because we haven't seen any counterplay, but I agree that it could be big.

Incidentally, I think Zelda is upper high tier, borderline top tier, but I think claiming that her disadvantage is anything but really bad is sort of disingenuous, otherwise I wouldn't have replied.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well I can see people agree :ultrob: disadvantage is not as horrible as claimed. He has stalling ability with his recovery offstage and on to help him ledegrab or land safely as well as mixups using his projectiles. D-tilt is also a very strong "get off me" option on the ground. Of course he has a combo-food big body without the benfit of being a superheavy, plus he can really struggle at the ledge if he does not have Gyro. But R.O.B has actual options at least, which is more than most big-body characters can claim. Still surprised Goblin put him in "Decent" tier though

On the flipside of the argument what characters does everyone think have the strongest or most effective advantage states in the game. Some obvious choices are :ultrob::ultwario::ultpeach::ultluigi::ultroy: :ultbowser:and :ultjoker:with Arsene. However there are mant characters with underated advantage states in my opinion. With some examples notablly held back because they are notabally flawed in other aspects of gameplay

Characters like :ultincineroar::ultganondorf::ultdoc: I do not consider having top-tier advantage states. While we know they hit uber-hard and can potentially take stocks like at 60-70 with a good read. They are way too slow in both mobilty and/or best offensive options to press their adavantage once they can start it. :ultbyleth: also kinda falls in this trap as well
Considering this diadvantage talk had to mention other areas like the ledge and recovery, it should only be fair that ledgetrapping and edgeguarding is also a factor.

All the superheavies have great advantage states, even if it doesn't necessarily come in the form of juggling or big combos. Bowser and Charizard are well-rounded in those three areas, DK specializes more in juggling but also has varied edgeguarding tools with good airspeed for chasing, Dedede and K. Rool are more about the ledge pressure and edgeguarding, and Ridley is really good in all areas at the cost of frailty and defense.

:ulticeclimbers: From the first day they joined their viability has hinged on an absolutely unmatched advantage that eclipsed all their other major flaws.

Some good examples of a strong "traditional" advantage state (combos and juggling) are: :ultfalcon::ultfox::ultfalco::ultgreninja::ultluigi::ultpichu::ultken::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultbayonetta:

Strong ledgetrapping: :ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultrobin::ultsimon:/:ultrichter::ultmegaman::ultgunner::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero:(with the right spells mainly, but even regular Woosh or Zap line spells can work well here)

Strong edgeguarding: :ultjigglypuff::ultmetaknight::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultisabelle:

Well-rounded: :ultinkling::ultlucina::ultwolf::ultsnake::ultjoker::ultmario:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
S4 Zelda's defensive game was much better than Ultimate Zelda's defensive game without Phantom, mostly because of higher jumpsquats castwide and lower mobility. Ultimate Zelda is a different beast.
That is not entirely true, especially since :4zelda:'s own jumpsquat is frame 6, and her own initial dash is significantly slower in that game than in Ultimate.
It doesn't help that her jab is an atrocious frame 11, which harms her defensively quite a bit despite the other advantages her SSB4 jab brings in offense.

:ulticeclimbers: From the first day they joined their viability has hinged on an absolutely unmatched advantage that eclipsed all their other major flaws.
I am not entirely certain about it. While their advantage state (aka desync combos) are devastating when set up correctly, against an experienced player it is not too difficult to space around their short range and separate them to remove this advantage from the climbers. It doesn't entirely help that the numerous glitches and faulty A.I. sometimes does the opponent's job for them.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
To pop up my head again for a brief moment, I've always stated that :ultgnw:'s advantage state is not only among the most absurd in the game, it's pretty much a good chunk of the reason why you even put up with the fact that you're spending half the game getting swatted by retreating forward tilts or dash attacks. I'm not even talking about his 40~60% combos/strings, ledge set-ups, but the fact that in almost every scenario where he ends of a string with an UAir, the opponent is most likely spending half their stock just trying to return to the ground amidst all the UAirs/NAirs that throw you beck up, or a snipe hit off of Up B to throw you off stage. While who can get around such aerial pressure varies (:ultzss: and :ultyoshi: are really strong at avoiding it), it's not uncommon to see scenarios like Maister's brutal massacring of Tweek's final stock during game 4 in their set at Frostbite (where Tweek was able to land a grand total of once with his stock?).

:ultgreninja:'s got a really good advantage state as well because he excels at keeping up his momentum once he gets it, much like G&W. Major difference is that instead of using lingering hitboxes/juggling to do it, he's forcing opponents into a never-ending chain of tech chase scenarios, and unlike Game and Watch, there isn't much ANY character can do against it beyond hoping the Greninja gets the wrong read. I think Y2Kay posted a clip a VERY long time ago displaying Greninja's tech-chasing capabilities in an old Crown set between Stroder and Prodigy, but it illustrates a lot what I'm talking about.

That, and as much as it's easy to rip on him, I find :ultdk:'s advantage state underrated. Getting a good lead against him, only to die at 60 percent because you were unlucky enough to get grabbed by him below a platform isn't actually as rare as you might think it is (reference: Shine's set against BestNess at Nightmare on Smashville). And this isn't even accounting for his 30~50% combos/juggles he gets off of UAir alone.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
-Landing Nair is a good option, but it's his only landing option most of the time, so it's fairly predictable to punish. (Also it's a death sentence when it's heavily cracked)

-His aerial mobility doesn't have enough drift for him to air-dodge back on-stage most of the time and he's often forced to go to the ledge with Up-B.

-Up-B's start-up and aerial drift are too slow, making it easy to punish to the point where many characters can just effortlessly keep hitting him off-stage with aerials or even safe projectiles like :ultsonic:'s Spring, or :ultness:'s PK Thunder.

-Gut Check isn't worthless, but it's got a ton of blind spots so it's not all cracked up on top of being laggy:
K Rool can also fade back and throw his crown to cover landings.

K.Rool's upB travels up faster than it goes sideways so from a long distance characters can keep swatting him away but at that distance 90% of the cast would simply be too far to recover anyway. KRool's recovery from moderate distance is fairly safe if he goes low and comes up at the ledge except to specific projectiles that go down (which also hit other recoveries).

I agree gut check can be a pain if K.Rool's facing backwards but it covers him pretty well from the front and below. It also has full body invulnerability on frames 4-15.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
-Nerfed grab - 12f base startup with these shield and lag changes - coupled with the 4-frame grab penalty OoS - makes it pretty poor to go for, and the lack of dthrow combos means from a risk-reward perspective, it is generally only worth going for if a throw is going to kill. The endlag on his grab isn't even that bad (it's only 30 frames or so, which is good for the range and certainly by this game's standards), but somehow it's still not something to use.
Not to dilute your overall point, which is good and I agree with, but tether grab and OoS aren't usually supposed to go together. Grabs OoS are a defensive mechanic, but tether grabs rarely have defensive purposes. Tether grabs intend to challenge incoming hitboxes by outranging them. Usually the character needs to take a step or two back, to exit his attacker's range, then pivot and grab. Tether grabs are best at catching landings. Being down on tether grabs because of their frame data, especially OoS framedata, kinda misses the point.

I realize Lucas would love to OoS grab a blocked sword cause that would be easy, but he should just step or hop away and outrange with grab / zair / pkfire, then regain the space on-hit.

His goal is to push his opponent offstage either via his neutral, or a backthrow, and then edgeguard or ledgeguard depending on whichever his opponent is weakest at.

(I assume his unreliable tilts/jabs are intended to expose his scaredy-cat personality.)

dat downsmash tho

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I can tell that you've been thinking about this for quite some time, S StoicPhantom , but the Sheik/Zelda comparison totally falls short.
That's because you are thinking too literally. I actually main Zelda and Sheik is my second most played character.

Sheik's dash attack is frame 5 and shoots under the opponent's attacks to catch landing. Zelda's dash attack is frame 6 and bulldozes through most aerials. Both moves set up the potential for follow ups. One can actually kill at reasonable percents though.

Sheik's F-Tilt is frame 5 and uses speed to catch and juggle opponents. Zelda's Up-Tilt is frame 7 and uses it's large and high priority hurtbox to catch and juggle opponents. One can be used as an anti-air and catch cross ups.

Sheik's D-Tilt is frame 5 and can combo and confirm into other moves. Zelda's is also the same in both cases, but doesn't rely on a sweetspot.

Sheik's Fair is frame 5 and has a sweetspot/sourspot that affects how Sheik's combos and kills from it. Zelda's is frame 6 and affects how much power and damage she dishes out. Both of have similar spacing and both can be unsafe on hit depending on the circumstance.

Sheik's Dair is frame 15 and combos into a kill confirm at specific percents and results in a powerful meteor spike offstage. Zelda's is frame 14 and also does the same.

Sheik's Bouncing Fish travels a lot of distance and can be a movement option as well as kill on read and comboed into. Zelda's Farore's Wind also does a similar thing and has similar effect on the game. Both can discourage projectile spamming and get their wielders out of tricky situations.

Sheik's Needles can force approaches, deal damage, combo into things, and be used an extension in neutral to cover for Sheik's lack of good priority. Zelda's Phantom Knight can also do all of those things and cover for her lack of mobility. Sheik can easily catch a spacing Lucina with Needles to turn what would otherwise be a difficult MU into a even or winning one. Zelda can do the same. The grounded versions of both are unsafe from the same distances.

Sheik wants to stay within a certain spacing to whiff punish opponents. Because if Sheik fails to do so, Sheik gets murdered by superior hitboxs. Zelda wants to stay in a similar spacing to whiff punish or brute force through their hitboxs. If she fails to do so, she gets whiff punished from her massive endlag. Both characters want their opponent to be the one to initiate and be close to them. Because needing to initiate themselves, runs into the issues of having small and precise hitboxs or poor mobility and laggy moves.

It's not that hard of an idea to conceive, that was pretty much how they were originally designed. They were inverted, with Sheik being speed and Zelda being power, regardless of how it worked in practice. I don't think it was a coincidence that there Down B after the split greatly resembles a move of the other. If some echo fighters are sweetspot/sourspot or aggressive/spacing, I don't see why we can't have a speed/power.

Ken and Ryu run on a similar principle, but go about spacing and neutral different ways, with Ken being more aggressive with flashy kicks and Ryu being more projectile oriented. I can fake my way to Elite Smash with Ken, but am struggling to do the same with Ryu and have had to formally learn combos and command inputs to kill. Ken can mash with kicks and use Heavy Shoryuken to kill at a reasonable percent, but you have to have a particular spacing with Ryu. That doesn't mean they don't run on a similar principle or that they aren't echo fighters.

Sheik and Zelda are the same way. Contrary to popular belief, Sheik cannot mash A to win. Doing so gets you obliterated. Zelda also cannot mash A for slightly different reasons, but with the same outcome. I can transfer most of my Zelda playstyle to Sheik, with some tweaks. I cannot do the same to any other character. I picked up Sheik rather quickly due to the similarities with Zelda. I cannot play any other fast character well.

I'm not going to parse the rest of your frame data comparisons, but we all know that Zelda likes trades more than Sheik. That should be obvious to anyone who's played either character or played against either character.
That's kind of central to my point. Zelda having Sheik-esque frame data on hitboxs built around ground and anti-air combat makes her better in those kind of situations than a lot of characters including Sheik.

No one thrives in the corner, even Zelda with her decent defensive game.
"Thrives more than others", meaning she does better than most in that situation. Thrives might have been too misleading, but it was mean to imply it wasn't as bad as you were implying. Frame 4 Jab beats almost all options in that range, frame 5 D-Tilt to duck under certain moves and pressure shields. Up-Tilt to catch aerials, Nair to preempt, F-Tilt to space on shields, Nayru and spotdodge canceled Up-B to stuff dash attacks and grabs, and dash attack, Phantom, and even Up-B to catch spacing and retreating aerials. Nayru and Bair for rolls and Up-Smash OoS to catch certain aerial cross ups, but why would you do those if I'm on the ledge? Various OoS stuff for the rest.

That's not disingenuity, that's having options and knowing how and when to use them.

No. I mained Smash 4 Zelda for some time and Melee Zelda for the relatively smaller amount of time I played that, so I have a good understanding of Zelda on the whole. Smash 4 Zelda's Jab was too laggy for real Jab purposes, OoS game was poor in comparison, and she relied on fairly heavily on Nayru's Love, which was better as a move and better in Smash 4's engine, compared to Ultimate Nayru.

The changes to Jab, jumps, grab nerfs, her OoS options, her aerials, her sweetspots, and her Up-B, all make Ultimate Zelda much more powerful in that regard. People didn't die poking Smash 4 Zelda's shield the wrong way for instance.

Sheik's got an f2 airdodge with 10 frames less lag, higher air speed, access to a better fastfall, and almost 50% better air acceleration. Even if n-air is compared to Naryu's Love and Bouncing Fish to Warp cancels, it's hard to see Zelda as being better in disadvantage in just about any way--adding to this, I don't even think Sheik is particularly strong in disadvantage, so again I don't really see the point of the comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJDEi4inxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ragf2ULNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzMYbWNgo1c

The common theme here is Void taking most of his damage and losing most of his stocks at the ledge. It's especially notable with Bowser and Charizard, heavy characters that are supposed to be decimated by Sheik. Instead, Sheik got decimated by these characters almost every time they managed a trade or beat Sheik's hitboxs. And they largely happened during shield and ledge pressure, that resulted in Void's Fair getting beat or shield pokes and getting grabbed.

I didn't see anything of things you mentioned, but I did see Void getting his lead decimated through mashing, for the reasons I outlined.

To make as much of an apples-to-apples comparison as possible, here's a fellow top ten player with a character that can punish Zelda's disadvantage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae9t4IQTHaY

I didn't think ven handled this particularly well in a lot of places, especially the first game, but it's understandable in that he doesn't have much experience with a Joker of this caliber. But you'll notice as he became more familiar, Zelda started looking suspiciously like Sheik in how she spaced and punished. And how the matches became fairly even in damage trading and how long it actually took for MKLeo to kill Zelda. Her floatiness can discourage combos more often than not. And ven became much better at mitigating them as time went on.

But pay special attention to where ven played a lot of the time. That's right, the corner. Not only was he not getting decimated, he was actually going fairly even. In fact, you could say his ledge trapping was better than MKLeo's in certain places. Not only was he going fairly even, he was getting kills. Even the commentators were singing praises of ven's corner play.

So if Zelda's disadvantage is bad because "she can hardly get out of the corner", then why is she going fairly even with the best Ultimate player and arguably the best character in the game, depending on who you ask?

Incidentally, I think Zelda is upper high tier, borderline top tier, but I think claiming that her disadvantage is anything but really bad is sort of disingenuous, otherwise I wouldn't have replied.
I agree with the former and I'm pleasantly surprised I have a comrade in this world full of skeptics. You would have to explain the latter to may top players that have had a hard time taking advantage of her disadvantage to a degree you could call "really bad".

I made a comparison to Sheik as a point to the larger discussion about why certain characters are where they are in that chart. I made a comparison at all, to contrast Zelda's options with someone that has relatively poorer options in those situations. Feel free to disregard any Sheik comparisons, my point is more that Zelda's disadvantage isn't quite as bad as you say.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Last post on this subject from me.

in general I think you're cherrypicking a lot in your post, but most of all I disagree with the notion that Zelda is better in the corner than others. Sure, you don't want to trade with Zelda. That means that you don't pick aggressive corner options against her. It doesn't mean that you let her out of the corner or that she gets out at all.

ven doesn't use all those options that you're talking about in the corner, because those aren't typically strong corner options. Grab mixups are corner options. Buying a roll with a movement bait is a corner option. Not n-airs and f-tilts. Those are gambits.

What I see in this video of MKLeo vs. ven is MKLeo being afraid to approach Zelda in the first game, and then realizing that he can just hold her in the corner. In the last game alone, I see Leo with stage control over half the time and ven struggling to claim it back unless Leo objectively messes up.

Here's an example timestamp: https://youtu.be/Ae9t4IQTHaY?t=699. ven gets carried from disadvantage from one side of the stage to the other, and only manages to leave the corner by using the platform eventually--not a single thing unique to Zelda.

The only reason the trapping even happens on the right side instead of the left, where it originated, is that MKLeo forgets about Naryu's Love and uses Eigaon, probably because he isn't used to the Zelda matchup.

ven gets out with some creative movement using the PS2 platform, but by 12 minutes in, he's back in the corner, and MKLeo is keeping him there. Any time he uses any non-movement option, he gets hit. At 12:09 he dash attacks, then uses Naryu's Love, and still gets dash attacked and kept in the corner. He's in the corner for over a solid minute, in a matchup where that definitely shouldn't be the case.

ven's corner play here is pretty immaculate, but the point is that he's not using all those options that you're talking about to achieve it. He's using universal options available to every character to weasel out of the corner, or stay there without taking damage as long as need be.

If we're just cherrypicking general vague moments like these, you can also look at ven versus this non-top 10 Palutena:

https://youtu.be/4n31cDxLNTQ?t=536

Just note how often Zelda's options in the corner don't actually get her out of disadvantage, or even put her further in, like at this above timestamp (and Ven even managed a parry here!), which ultimately ends with Zelda's neutral get-up getting read and up-smashed. ven goes on to lose this set, with lots of these moments peppered throughout.

I don't see anything particularly exceptional about Zelda in the corner. What I see in both of these sets and several others is ven making a home out of the corner because he doesn't have a choice.

Citing the best player in the world going almost even in an obscure matchup as evidence for Zelda's decent disadvantage isn't going to work. There are at least a dozen possible explanations that don't include "Zelda's disadvantage is actually good" as part of the description. For example:

1. You highlighted that ven doesn't have Joker experience, but what Zelda experience does Leo have?
  2. Joker isn't the kind of character who excels at keeping an opponent cornered. He's an evasive mixup character, like Pikachu. He even has similar matchup issues to Pikachu. I think Zelda does very well against Pikachu for the same reasons that she does well vs. Joker, but that has nothing to do with this set. Zelda's disadvantage against a certain subset of characters that lack range isn't bad at all, but that's partly because these aren't the characters who excel at trapping in the corner anyway. Pikachu isn't a corner trapper.
  3. A bad disadvantage and not being able to get out of the corner doesn't mean that you lose all the time. It doesn't even mean that you lose at all if your other properties are good enough.

I'm ignoring the bulk of the Sheik/Zelda comparisons because I don't see the point, and I don't see how Zelda looks like Sheik at all, but to continue on a few points:

1. Sheik has similar corner issues to Zelda, but Void deals with it differently from ven, by trying to push through in matchups where he shouldn't. He'd be better off just trying to sneak in a roll, and in fact you can see Sheik's crawl, roll, and f6 grab get Void out of the corner in several situations in other sets, if you took the time to parse them all.
  2. Sheik vs. Pokemon Trainer is a -2 matchup for Sheik. How good Sheik is vs. Charizard as a heavy doesn't matter since Charizard isn't coming out at the percents where heavies are usually weak, and Squirtle's already done the work of setting Sheik up at death percent. This is a general strength of the PT character that shines in the Sheik MU. Zelda definitely does way better in this matchup just because of being better against Squirtle (who is in the Pikachu/Joker archetype). Zelda's ledgetrapping is better than Sheik's too, so Charizard gets trapped for days.
  3. Sheik vs. Bowser is heavily Sheik favored; Void didn't learn the matchup well by the time that he faced Leon here. I mean, everyone gets decimated by Leon the first time they play him. Nairo lost with Palutena; Samsora with Peach; Marss with ZSS. If they are top players, they usually have favorable records later on (Marss made Leon's Bowser look like a bottom-5 character the last time they fought).
  4. For a quick comparison, you saying that Zelda must be good in disadvantage because ven went even (not that he did actually go even; he lost pretty decisively after game 1) with MKLeo is like me saying that Sheik must be good in disadvantage because Void won a matchup against Goblin's Roy, and Roy excels at corner pressure. Do you see how that claim sounds?

Some last random thoughts are that Sheik probably beats Joker +1, and Zelda probably does better vs. Game and Watch, Pikachu, Joker, Wario, and Mario combined than literally any other single character (i.e., no other character in the game does as well in all 5 of those matchups--usually characters who do well against some subset of those characters lose to the others, such as Ness who beats Pikachu and arguably Joker but gets washed by Game and Watch).

Zelda is a very strong pick for a certain subgroup of low-range weaving/evasive combo characters, and that's why I think she's very good. Not because she has a strong disadvantage state in general.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
in general I think you're cherrypicking a lot in your post,
You're doing a fair amount in this post, in addition to misunderstanding the point of mine.

ven doesn't use all those options that you're talking about in the corner, because those aren't typically strong corner options.
I don't think ven plays Zelda the most optimal way and certainly not the way I play her. But he does do well enough to be called the best Zelda. What I said was mostly theory based on my experience. Things that you could do based on certain situations.

not a single thing unique to Zelda.
He's using universal options available to every character to weasel out of the corner
I don't see anything particularly exceptional about Zelda in the corner. What I see in both of these sets and several others is ven making a home out of the corner because he doesn't have a choice.
There are at least a dozen possible explanations that don't include "Zelda's disadvantage is actually good" as part of the description.
I didn't say that Zelda was the best in disadvantage or particularly unique relative to some of the other high or top tiers, I said she isn't "really bad", which was what I was originally replying to. I consider DK "really bad". I consider Mac "really bad". I don't consider Zelda really bad. I can find lots of characters ranging from Ganondorf to Kirby as worse than Zelda.

If it was as bad as you were insinuating and if MKLeo kept her trapped there so long, why did he almost lose? If it was really bad, then why did I not see an above average level of damage being dealt or stocks being taken early?

If we're just cherrypicking general vague moments like these
I kept things vague to not go down this rabbit hole in the first place. Cherrypicking is something you completely made up. I didn't quote a specific timestamp, I selected three random matches based on recency for Sheik. I said Void's stock got decimated, ven's didn't.

Citing the best player in the world going almost even in an obscure matchup as evidence for Zelda's decent disadvantage isn't going to work.
I pulled a top ten character and player to try to match the level of play Void had to deal with. ven, Leo, Void, and I'm assuming Leon having no experience with the other's character is the point. What isn't equal is ven's skill relative to the top ten players. If ven can take MKLeo to that close of a set, what would happen if someone on Leo's level had the same experience with Zelda as ven?

I'm using ven as an example because he's the best we have, not because I want to. And I'm trying to use my own theorycraft based on being a day one Zelda main to plug the holes. Something that you're doing too, but are passing it off as proven fact.

Joker isn't the kind of character who excels at keeping an opponent cornered.
Pick a character then and I'll try to find a recent video from a good Zelda. My overall point though, is that Zelda doesn't get completely decimated in disadvantage like some characters do. That should put her out of the realm of "really bad" and at least "manageable". I would take her disadvantage over that of Ryu or even Young Link. But clearly we have different views on what a bad disadvantage is.

I'm ignoring the bulk of the Sheik/Zelda comparisons
Feel free to disregard any Sheik comparisons
For a quick comparison, you saying that Zelda must be good in disadvantage because ven went even (not that he did actually go even; he lost pretty decisively after game 1) with MKLeo is like me saying that Sheik must be good in disadvantage because Void won a matchup against Goblin's Roy, and Roy excels at corner pressure. Do you see how that claim sounds?
Except I didn't say Sheik's was "really bad", I said it was not good. You said Zelda's disadvantage was "really bad", I called you out on it. I didn't say Zelda's advantage was "good", I said it's better than a lot of characters. I said she can handle herself in that situation and not get decimated or have an early stock taken. You haven't adequately explained why it was "really bad". I don't think a character that can live this long due to most characters not being able to land a kill move easily can be considered "really bad". And I don't think you can consider a character that's upper high/borderline top tier, if their disadvantage is really bad.

Last post on this subject from me.
That's probably for the best, as this is starting to get into semantics and labels. You can disagree with me on Sheik not playing similar to Zelda. I'm fine with that, I don't think I adequately explained myself. I don't think you can say Zelda's disadvantage is really bad, when there are plenty of characters that are at kill percent just being near the ledge or in certain MUs or percents.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Some info on a the "tiering" project I'm releasing sometimes next month, and a general post on tiers in general

Introduction

Defining tiers in any Smash game in an exact manner is a fruitless effort. You can hypothetically do this in any game, but Smash as a competitive game is limited in funding, and the type of money you'd need to mass test entire casts or characters to DEFINITIVELY demonstrate that Lucas is better than Hero is probably outside of what even Nintendo can afford to bankroll.

You can kind of see this in tiering discussions as they've evolved. Tier lists are never official anymore because the interest in Backrooms subsided. Now, most top players give their own, often very different tier lists and people debate over the differences and ideas that go into them. Social media has given ground to impromptu and widespread discussion of character viability.

That last part is pretty key. As discussions have evolved, you'll notice that people frequently opt to make portions or the entirety of their tier lists unordered within the designated categories (Top, High, Mid, Low, Bottom, and the wide variety of variants in between) and discussions on who is better (or worse) are reserved mostly towards the extreme end of discussions.

Ultimate is probably the peak of this because it has an absurdly large, growing cast that will top at 80+ characters, one of the largest numbers ever for a competitive title. At this point, even figuring out the strict differences that place characters between Mid and High will probably never be figured out if the now-resurgent Melee scene cannot figure out after a 10-year renaissance who the best character is. That's not a criticism of Melee on my part, it's just that tier lists genuinely vary as to whether #1 is Fox, Marth, or Puff; nobody knows.

A microcosm of why it's pretty much impossible to determine objective quality for the cast beyond very vague ranges identified in tiering is the fact that even seemingly simple things cannot be effectively quantified. My favorite example is "What is the average kill % for the cast?", an on-the-face-of-it simple question that is almost impossible to answer.

My experience in attempting to do this project in 4 landed in a number of "oh no" moments. First, the concept was part of the then-in production Bayonetta article. I scrapped this idea as Power Ranking data took up more time than I thought, but after the advocacy for a Cloud ban and the Bayo follow-up were released, I really tried to construct what the average kill % was for the top tiers.

The solution would be simple: Go into VODs, see when characters died. The problem here is that any numbers I obtained could be severely biased by what VODs were available and the skill levels available. A limited selection of Corrins, for example, means I would have to entirely rely on Cosmos and what few Zackray VODs existed at that point in time, when I prefer to work with 3-5 examples of players since that gives a variance in playstyle.

Variances in playstyle are important in ways that can be visualized. Marss may have played hundreds of hours of sets vs. Light collectively, but it did not matter, because Paseriman had far, far more experience against collective ZSS mains in Japan than Marss had Fox experience, which closed the skill gap a lot since Marss was relying on Light experience in this matchup;

Things like that are totally lost in an "Average kill percent" project. The closest example of this being achieved was a 1-to-1 comparison between Toon & Young Link in a very good research piece by DHTT;

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/eo36qv/young_link_vs_toon_link_a_statistical_analysis/

One issue I didn't touch on that comes into play, beyond a lack of players and potential reliance on single playstyles, is that kill %s will vary depending on the matchups due to varying weights/sizes. This is probably the single biggest factor that makes attaining numbers useless. It works in DHTT's project because he only uses footage where both characters are playing against the same characters. I.e., if he uses a vod of Toon Link vs. Mario, he must use a vod of Young Link vs. Mario.

Discussions with people on the PG Stats discord further proved that this effort would be fruitless and the data unreliable, so it was abandoned, and gave a big learning lesson on tiers as a whole: People use results and match-up charts as proxies because especially detailed comparisons are increasingly impossible with each new title, as the roster seems to grow by 50% each game.

So, What can be done?

My idea is to identify that we use proxies and expand those proxies to include a variety of subjective and objective qualities, with subjective or hypothetical qualities being based on professional/community opinion, where proxies are collected match-up charts, tier list aggregates, or existing players who lack results at large-scale tournaments, but preliminary local/online data suggests they would be top 50-level. Here, you can start comparing proxies.

This doesn't give you a definitive ordered tier list, but it could potentially create more clear shades of who is and isn't viable, and who does & doesn't have immediate potential for tier list growth.

The use of these metrics isn't even in the fact that they'll be combined into some finished tier list. That'll be a nice capstone, but the biggest thing is that you can break down each metric individually and come up with areas where characters have perceived strengths & weaknesses.

Objective qualities, or ones based on results, can be very heavily broken down into a large number of categories. The scoring on my TTS is one method that combines performances of regional/national data, but I've also been doing things like taking the average peaks of the top X number of performances of each character in the game. With the appropriate penalties applied for poor qualities (high secondary use, co maining, especially early results) this can shed definitive light on a number of factors.

Playerbase character breakdowns can also give you an idea of how likely breakouts even are. I asked earlier in the thread what theories are on the most/least used characters because I'm building another PR breakdown. Essentially, across roughly 200 power rankings that represent regional level play, you can start to get an idea of what's common & not.

This can also be used for regional breakdowns. Utility can go beyond simply gathering who is & isn't good character-wise, it can be used in analysis to see what players in certain regions even have to deal with. Such a breakdown will be lengthy, as this is a roughly representative world map of what I designate as "super regions", larger areas encompassing general regions (think SoCal, Tristate, Kanto, CDMX, Ontario, France, Chile, Saudi Arabia, and so forth - most of these places have their own sub-regions as well.)

Current tier discussions can also be biased by what goes on in America. The USA is the central hub for the game, but this type of centered discussion leads to a number of problems for identifying potential character growth. It goes way beyond that, even - the hostile response among some parties to the PGRv2, some former or current top players, strongly demonstrates that character growth in likely if only because some parties arrogantly underestimate players in Japan, Europe, Mexico, etc.

This means the metrics used will be heavily accompanied by non-USA data; areas like Mexico, Japan, and Europe see the most substantial boosts, with Australia, Southeast Asia, South America, and the Middle East seeing modest boosts.

I find it surprising that some gathering of information like this - to the extent I'm committing to - hasn't been done yet. It's common to see excellent contributions such as match-up chart or tier list collections, but combining a variety of factors seen in the meta, both material and opinionated, seems like the best route to creating either a decent tier list representative of Ultimate's first year and its potential meta, or if not a tier list, a more focused discussion on the qualities that characters excel at.

It also serves as a de-facto tracker for characters that might be too overwhelming in the metagame. Such as issue does not seem likely in Ultimate (scares existed around Olimar, Snake, and Joker, but I never took these very seriously because these concerns were built largely on cherrypicking and extreme recency bias) but an existing model like the one I'm building would be far better at detecting issues like a potential Bayonetta 2.0.

Lastly, this project will coincide with a Smash 4 equivalent project of its first two years to equate balance between the titles.

I hope this project works out. It'll give us some valuable information regardless! Some of the information that's being gathered & combined;

-Existing "hidden boss" players

-Averaged together tier lists from professionals and possibly communities

-Aggregate match-up charts

-The top 10 peaks of each character

-The average placements of the top 5 mains of each character

-Who the ranked playerbase uses, both at the national level (represented by a rough cut of OrionRank's top 250 and supplemental data) and the regional level (represented by power rankings)

-Regional & national scores for the cast on the OR TTS

-Upset rates at larger events

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
K Rool can also fade back and throw his crown to cover landings.

K.Rool's upB travels up faster than it goes sideways so from a long distance characters can keep swatting him away but at that distance 90% of the cast would simply be too far to recover anyway. KRool's recovery from moderate distance is fairly safe if he goes low and comes up at the ledge except to specific projectiles that go down (which also hit other recoveries).

I agree gut check can be a pain if K.Rool's facing backwards but it covers him pretty well from the front and below. It also has full body invulnerability on frames 4-15.
-A: Krown is super laggy, the armor is too weak against most moves, you can't throw it up, down, or farther like the other boomerang moves, and you risk throwing away your Krown for the opponent to grab it and use it against you...
So no, that move is rarely useful...

-B: The distance of Kopter is good, but it's too slow and telegraphed to work as a great mix-up for a recovery.
It's passable, but clearly not as good as we previously made it out to be...

-C: Your opponent will be coming at you at many different angles...
Not very reliable while you're playing as a big, slow target with limited defensive options, and that's not even factoring in other counterplays to counterattacks like grabs and baits...

Gut Check may have some strong applications, but those don't matter if it's so inflexible as is...

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Kopter is bad, honestly. It may look great at first, but the problem is it's too slow, and it loves to go past the ledge instead of snapping. K Rool's endlag lasts a year if he lands onstage with Kopter.

But the slowness of it is by far the worst part. K Rool can't act out of it, so he's just a sitting duck. Sword characters can dair. Projectile characters can catch him - z-droppers like Peach and the Links can do that; Explosive Light, Autoreticle, Din's, Axe, Thunder Jolt, Down Gun, etc. can all tack on damage. And K Rool's vulnerability from the sides means everyone can just keep bairing. Sure, it's unlikely that these things will kill K Rool, and he usually gets past them eventually... but oh, look at that, now K Rool's at 160 and his opponent's staleness queue has been cleared. If they still can't kill him at that percent, they're only a few safe, full-powered moves away from doing so. Against a big body with sluggish mobility.

K Rool could be much better if Kopter was either faster or granted him much more protection. As it is now, I've seen a K Rool stomp a Peach super well until z-drop Turnips took him from low % to very high % because he had to recover once.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Kopter is bad, honestly. It may look great at first, but the problem is it's too slow, and it loves to go past the ledge instead of snapping. K Rool's endlag lasts a year if he lands onstage with Kopter.

But the slowness of it is by far the worst part. K Rool can't act out of it, so he's just a sitting duck. Sword characters can dair. Projectile characters can catch him - z-droppers like Peach and the Links can do that; Explosive Light, Autoreticle, Din's, Axe, Thunder Jolt, Down Gun, etc. can all tack on damage. And K Rool's vulnerability from the sides means everyone can just keep bairing. Sure, it's unlikely that these things will kill K Rool, and he usually gets past them eventually... but oh, look at that, now K Rool's at 160 and his opponent's staleness queue has been cleared. If they still can't kill him at that percent, they're only a few safe, full-powered moves away from doing so. Against a big body with sluggish mobility.

K Rool could be much better if Kopter was either faster or granted him much more protection. As it is now, I've seen a K Rool stomp a Peach super well until z-drop Turnips took him from low % to very high % because he had to recover once.
Pretty much everything you listed except Z dropped items and downward guns can by gut checked and only a few characters can Dair KRool. If you're missing the ledge with copter you're not using it right. Oftentimes I like to go high, FF Nair below the ledge and ride copter up. Kopter's still better than 60% of the recoveries in the game.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much everything you listed except Z dropped items and downward guns can by gut checked and only a few characters can Dair KRool. If you're missing the ledge with copter you're not using it right. Oftentimes I like to go high, FF Nair below the ledge and ride copter up. Kopter's still better than 60% of the recoveries in the game.
I feel you when it comes to people who don’t understand how to use your mains recovery, people who don’t understand that Pit’s recovery doesn’t grab ledge until frame 24 are so annoying to see when they complain about his recovery inconsistently grabbing ledge. Also the recovery being better than several others is true as many characters in this game have trash recoveries(doesn’t mean Kopter is good, just like power of flight, they both have their weaknesses unlike cheesy silly Pikachu, Game&Watch, Pac-Man etc). I’ve faced some decent Krools, can be rare to find them as a lot of people like to use them for cheese online just like Samus, Ganon, Dedede etc, but when I faced them and understood their skill I was annoyed as I feel they weren’t completely rewarded for it.

Same goes for my main as well,
but there are still six confirmed patches, and there may be more patches after if the balance team feels it’s necessary. K.Rool has gotten buffs and needs more, and I believe Krool will receive more well deserved changes in the future. There are some competitive players who dislike the mindset of relying on patches, but it motivates me to continue using my character, doing the best I can do with them now as hopefully later I will be rewarded more for doing the exact same thing. Patches ultimately(heh) matter more than mindset as Ryu/Ken mains should know very well by now. What I always do is use the example of Marss, who complained constantly about how bad his top-tier character was, and received a buff as a reward. All I hope is that I never see a patch like 5.0.0 ever again, the universal changes were important but aside from that nothing changed in the meta.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Everything shifting online for the foreseeable future means that the game is going to just look different for a while.

One advantage of this is that Hero matches won't have the issue of different languages—even if your opponent is playing in a foreign language, it's not like it affects you. That is, unless you've chosen to play in a foreign language yourself.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I've been close to the bottom blast zone, used Kopter aiming for ledge, and instead it bypassed ledge. Perhaps I could have used nair and drifted inwards so that Kopter could be used less diagonally, but that is risky when you're close to the blast zone. Either way, I think we can both agree that Kopter needs a buff

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
So controller mapping is a available now for pro controllers and joy cons. I'm curious to see if there is any character who can benefit from more specialized control setups than Smash currently allows for by swapping buttons that normally wouldn't able to be swapped.

This is the only thing I've seen so far, but hopefully people keep experimenting with it, I'm interested to see if it goes anywhere.

Last edited:

Notaniceperson

Smash Apprentice
Krools recovery did not get better with age it went from at day 1 the hes was top tier and whatnot because of his "op" recovery and since everyone was new to the game and we didn't know how edgeguard like we do now. Fast forward too today after being buffed over krool is extremely easy to hit out his recovery (especially with disjoints) and is usually dead if he has to be in it longer than 2 seconds offstage and now Krool is the worst heavy in the game with cannon being slow and easy to punish and crown can be jumped easy his bair is almost useless his fair is decent enough Nair is a get off me tool and Uair works ok as an anti air dtilt is slow Uptilt is good Ftilt is ok and jab is ok oh and he has a crap counter for an down b. Krool 100% needs a buff.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
:ultkrool: is an unfortunate soul...

-He has limited consistent options.
-The consistent options he does have aren't that powerful.
-And any super powerful options left are based on jank, hard reads, &/or luck which he can't set up or condiction the opponent into reliably.

Sucks since he's a cool character and is almost solid in many areas, but falls short due to the many drawbacks in his moveset.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Since ESAM did a tier-list based of offline play, I think it's good to compare it to his wi-fi tierlist which he did earlier today:
(Rather big image, so spoiler box)

For comparison:

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
For what it's worth, I think :ultlucario:'s placements on those tierlists are, in reality, reversed. In offline, he's a character who has some significant flaws, but also is able to utilize his greatest strengths rather well without the lag from online interfering with inputs and the pace of the match/set; making him a mid tier. In online, he can be pretty awful to play because having the reaction time and precision necessary to make the plays you need to in order to make the most of aura is basically impossible. Combine that with the input delays from online usually favoring heavies and other characters who can easily kill, and now you're talking about a bottom tier wifi character.

Notaniceperson

Smash Apprentice
Idk how Ness is online top teir when Ness hates lag vs good players that can di out of Pk fire and lag mess's up his recovery really bad and Psi magnet tech just doesn't work well. Solid low high teir online.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Since ESAM did a tier-list based of offline play, I think it's good to compare it to his wi-fi tierlist which he did earlier today:
(Rather big image, so spoiler box)

For comparison:
It is strange that he put online Puff as not only low tier, but significantly worse than offline Puff.
Ever since the Brawl days, Jigglypuff has always been an online character. The areas of online benefits Puff in pretty much everyway.
It is reflected with Hungrybox performing much better online than offline.

His placements on offline Puff and online Puff should be swapped tbh.

Idk how Ness is online top teir when Ness hates lag vs good players that can di out of Pk fire and lag mess's up his recovery really bad and Psi magnet tech just doesn't work well. Solid low high teir online.
That is true, but it is also even harder to challenge Ness' buttons online. Ness can simply mash buttons on front of you online and get away with it.
Also online makes it ironically harder to react to PK Fire, because your shield button will not come out as soon as it would otherwise. Lucas benefits from online in a similar manner.

Last edited:

Notaniceperson

Smash Apprentice
It is strange that he put online Puff as not only low tier, but significantly worse than offline Puff.
Ever since the Brawl days, Jigglypuff has always been an online character. The areas of online benefits Puff in pretty much everyway.
It is reflected with Hungrybox performing much better online than offline.

His placements on offline Puff and online Puff should be swapped tbh.

That is true, but it is also even harder to challenge Ness' buttons online. Ness can simply mash buttons on front of you online and get away with it.
Also online makes it ironically harder to react to PK Fire, because your shield button will not come out as soon as it would otherwise. Lucas benefits from online in a similar manner.
I think all that offsets and Ness is in the same teir he is offline i think people just automatically say that Ness is op in lag because that what been shoved down there throats by bad players that Ness players (like me) realize are bad and just click side b to win when in high level play Ness really isn't that good.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
So controller mapping is a available now for pro controllers and joy cons. I'm curious to see if there is any character who can benefit from more specialized control setups than Smash currently allows for by swapping buttons that normally wouldn't able to be swapped.

This is the only thing I've seen so far, but hopefully people keep experimenting with it, I'm interested to see if it goes anywhere.
Wait, Can we Finally get c-stick nair back from this?!

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
On the topic of controller mapping, ESAM did a video on it and his personal thoughts as a Pika main and a Shulk secondary.

Certain things include new tech for Quick Attack and helping out the ability to do Dial Storage with Shulk to cut 10 frames off of Shulk's aerials. Also stuff that can be used for left handed people, so you can dash with the right stick.

Other stuff ESAM doesn't mention that's been brought up is doing Nair with the c-stick by mapping R3 to A. This is obviously good if you are a Palu main or an Ike main because it allows them to use their best move as fast as possible.

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I almost completely agree with Tweek when it comes to Mario, he’s overstating Mario’s recovery a bit but not by too much. This character is a solid top tier, top 10 character and the “but lose to swords” is such a meme now used to gloss over characters with extremely great strengths.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I almost completely agree with Tweek when it comes to Mario, he’s overstating Mario’s recovery a bit but not by too much. This character is a solid top tier, top 10 character and the “but lose to swords” is such a meme now used to gloss over characters with extremely great strengths.
I agree. :ultmario:has literally everything

• Frame data that is only rivaled by :ultluigi::ultsquirtle::ultsheik: and :ultdoc:.
  • A disjointed 6 frame killing aerial that is -2 on shield.
  • A 4 frame up-air that chains into itself and/or his up-b and down-air (Both of which kill)
  • While his up-smash is ultimately outclassed by :ultdoc: and :ultluigi: (unlike in Smash 4), it's still one of the best in the game
  • A frame 3 up-b OOS with invincibility on startup
  • Tied for 12th best air speed in the game (which is complimented by his average air acceleration, high jump height and slower fall speed)
  • Decent ground speed
  • A good projectile that can help him set up his edgeguards and combos
  • Possibly the best edgeguarding in Ultimate thanks to f-air, n-air, b-air, cape, and FLUDD
  • He has a reflector to deal with projectiles
  • A solid recovery
  • Decent followups off of both up and down throws
  • Has a throw that can kill at the ledge around 150%
Dark Wizzy said on Twitter a few weeks ago that Mario's biggest weakness in Ultimate is no longer his lack of range (like it has been since Melee) and that it's actually his lack of kill options, something I'll agree with. Improving fireball, making Mario a bit faster, and decreasing the landing lag on b-air from 4 to Ultimate give him much better options for dealing with range that he lacked in earlier games. While he does lose to some swordfighters still (:ultlucina::ultcloud::ultshulk: maybe :ultmarth::ultpalutena::ultchrom:), I personally feel like he struggles more against characters that are hard to combo, and who can challenge him at close range with their superior frame data and/or speed. The funny part is, is that not a lot of characters can really do that. :ultyoshi::ultzss: and :ultluigi: come to mind, but that's about it. Most Mario mains also think he may lose slightly to :ultgreninja: which I will agree with since his range and speed together seem like they would be a pain to deal with.

If we are being generous, that's 4 (slightly) losing matchups (:ultlucina::ultcloud::ultshulk::ultgreninja:) and 6 other possible losing matchups (:ultmarth::ultpalutena::ultchrom::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultzss:).

That's pretty good considering there are 80 characters in this game. It's also worth mentioning that Mario also wins or goes even against a lot of the more common characters as well as some of the ones that are considered to be among the best in the game. :ultbowser::ultdiddy::ultfox::ultjoker::ultmegaman::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultsnake::ultwario::ultyounglink: and especially :ultrob: are all even or winning matchups for Mario.

IMO, Mario has transitioned through the Smash series from a jack of all trades, master of none to a jack of all trades, good at pretty much everything. He's one of the characters who is best at adapting to certain situations in Ultimate and I will not be surprised if he ends up being considered a Top 5 character eventually, especially if we get further nerfs to :ultpalutena: and :ultzss:. There's even a tiny chance that he could be the actual best character in the game. This is a character that I can see getting pushed as a counterpick in the future and I also feel like it's only a matter of time until Dark Wizzy manages to win a major. Maybe I'm being too optimistic about Mario, but he's a character that I has the most potential to become much more common going forward.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
The way Wizzy plays Mario, yes, Mario struggles to kill. Wizzy learned neutral from Salem, so Wizzy is a very patient player and thus quite strong.

But he doesn’t go for the aggressive reads that would net him kills at 30 and 40 regularly.

when you see prodigy play, meanwhile, you’ll see him risk everything in neutral in the hopes of getting an early kill. he’ll bait you into grabbing, spotdodge, then grab, or read a roll and falling up air you at 40 near a platform. in the set vs Leo at frostbite, prodigy didn’t have a single smash attack KO but took nearly half the stocks before 50 pre-string.

two different playstyles such that if you merged them together you would probably have the best character in the game for sure, at worst top 2.

unfortunately that’s all theory. this isn’t a matter of learning a new tech, it’s a matter of fundamental paradigm shift. No one will ever fuse those two styles, so top 2 Mario is unlikely to be realized.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
GimR released a video explaining some basics of the new Switch button remapping.

It is nothing too big or character specific, as the video only covers some of the basics, but more character specific tech may be coming with this.

ReVerbIsSuperb

Smash Cadet
Haven't posted here in a while, but since MVD's Snake MU Chart showed up on my Twitter timeline, figured I might as well share it:

This MU Chart looks drastically different from his previous one. Seems a lot more characters have the tools to keep up with Snake than previously thought which I can agree with. I've seen most of the losing MUs he placed considered that way before by other Snake Mains, but Olimar and Yink surprised me slightly. Their post-patch status may have made him shift opinions too. Seems quite stressful if the lead is lost I can acknowledge at least. I did see that he leans more towards Even for Olimar than Yink judging by his comments below the initial tweet.

I was also surprised by Pikachu, PT, Wolf and PK Kids being potentially +1 as well (not sure I how I feel about some of those), but he did seem to base everything off his own personal experiences. I missed some of his reasoning however so I guess I'll rewatch the vod: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/594735700

I've seen Void (Sheik) and Dabuz (Rosa) consider the Snake MU 50/50 recently so I wonder how they would react to this placement.

Personally I've always been of the opinion that both Greninja and Shulk have a lot of room in regards to MU counterplay for Snake as time goes on. It always feels weird to me to see them considered so hopeless in comparison to other characters Snake Mains have typically put in the same row and the rest of the cast in general. Most Snake players used to unanimously put each in +2 their favor (alongside clearly helpless characters at surface level), but I'm seeing more move them closer and closer as the meta develops. I have my own opinions on Greninja, but I'll hold off on that one for now. Always glad to see another perspective regardless

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Greninja does fine against Snake. His results against Snake have only got better as time has gone on, to the point where the MU is looking pretty even. It makes sense considering Greninja’s overall slipperiness, projectile, damage output and edgeguarding capabilities. Greninja only really struggles when Snake has the lead, and what character can really say they don’t struggle against Snake with a lead (including Snake himself)?

I don’t know the last time MVD fought a competent Greninja, and Jw has always had trouble in the MU, but I’d like to see him fight Venia or Elexiao sometime soon.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Haven't posted here in a while, but since MVD's Snake MU Chart showed up on my Twitter timeline, figured I might as well share it:

I agree with most of this, but since I'm a Luigi main, I feel obligated to say that there is no way that Luigi/Snake is +2 when Bayo/Snake and Mac/Snake aren't.

IMO, Luigi might lose the matchup 45:55 or it might be even, but it's not 40:60. MVD did say that the last time he fought Elegant was several months ago (and Elegant didn't do that great), so lack of recent experience against a good Luigi player may have led to Luigi being there. The only other reasons he gave for Luigi being there were the bad recovery and ability for Snake to grenade himself out of the Luigi zero-to-death.

I think the recovery issue is valid (part of the reason I can reasonably see this matchup as slightly losing for Luigi) but the other point he made isn't valid at all. Luigi doesn't need to heavily rely on the zero-to-death in 95% of matchups. Blowing yourself up with grenade to get past 20% is all fine and good, but Luigi still has combos that can work until well past 100% off of various moves in his kit. Despite that being true, Snake being able to pull grenades in an attempt to disrupt Luigi's combos can work to an extent, but there are times where Luigi still might be able to hit Snake again due to the low startup on a large number of moves in his kit. MVD also said that grenade works as a way to get Snake out of Luigi's down-b which is true... but Snake has to be holding the grenade first. If the Luigi player is aware of this, then they shouldn't be going for kills off of d-throw > down-b at all, they should be looking for a smash attack, b-throw, or up-b. Luigi's kill options are still really solid even without any of his confirms (especially his up-smash which is one of the best in the game). Snake's defense is something else that can be trouble for Luigi, but Luigi has some tools to get past it. Fireballs are a good tool to help him get past grenades and Nikita and Luigi has good enough QQC that Snake should never be close enough to stick a C4 on Luigi. Just hit him away with f-air.

TLDR Snake/Luigi is slightly losing or even but having it in +2 is laughable

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Can we really consider Lucina an even matchup for Snake but Marth loses? What exactly makes Lucina even against Snake that Marth doesn't?

For instance, aside from a more consistent killing potential (without effort) on stage, Marth is just as capable of intercepting Snake as Lucina is. Or is it really just the consistent kill potential that puts Marth at a lower MU than Lucina?

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Can we really consider Lucina an even matchup for Snake but Marth loses? What exactly makes Lucina even against Snake that Marth doesn't?

For instance, aside from a more consistent killing potential (without effort) on stage, Marth is just as capable of intercepting Snake as Lucina is. Or is it really just the consistent kill potential that puts Marth at a lower MU than Lucina?
Pretty much. I can't speak for the Snake matchup, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are matchups where it's clear Lucina does better than Marth, most likely matchups where that microspacing Marth needs is harder, or light characters where Lucina can still kill relatively early. I mean, if Lucina is better than Marth, she must do better in some matchups.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Just to let everyone know, the next tournament of the Quarantined Series is happening today and tomorrow.

Here is the seeding:
1: MkLeo:ultlucina::ultbyleth:
2: Kola:ultroy::ultcloud::ultsnake:
3: Glutonny:ultwario:
4: Tweek:ultwario::ultpokemontrainerf::ultwolf:
5: Goblin:ultroy:
6: Maister:ultgnw:
7: Dabuz:ultolimar::ultrosalina:
8: Sonix:ultsonic:
9: Sparg0:ultcloud:
10: BestNess:ultness:
11: Toast:ultyounglink:
12: VoiD:ultsheik:
13: Cosmos:ultinkling::ultpikachu:
14: Samsora:ultpeach::ultzelda:
15: LeoN:ultbowser:
16: Riddles:ult_terry:
17: Pelca:ultsnake:
18: ESAM:ultpikachu:
19: Colmar:ultpacman:
20: Grayson:ultrob:
21: kchris:ultzss: (formerly king_chris)
22: LingLing:ultpeach:
23: Dusty_Carpet:ultshulk:
24: Epic_Gabriel:ultrob:
25: MVD:ultsnake:
26: ShinyMark:ultpikachu:
27: Mr E:ultlucina:
28: Locus:ult_terry:
29: Mj:ultrob:
30: EnhancedPV:ultcloud:
31: AndresFn:ultken:
32: Pokelam:ultvillager:
33: Sonido:ultsonic:
34: Lui$:ultfox::ultmario:
35: Jw:ultgreninja:
36: ZeRo:ultwolf::ultdiddy:
37: SKITTLES!!:ultyoshi:
38: ZeroTwoNone:ultzelda:
39: Benny&TheJets:ultrob:
40: Fatality:ultfalcon:
41: sebayee:ultgnw:
42: UtopianRay:ultpalutena::ultbanjokazooie:
43: colinies:ultyounglink:
44: Aikota:ultgunner::ultlucas:
45: holopup
46: Plup:ultmegaman::ultridley:
47: Frosty:ultrichter:
48: NAKAT:ultpichu:
49: firstbones:ultpalutena:
50: Enzo:ultjoker:

I know that there are a few more notable players outside of 50 shown, but I want to limit the notable players to just the 50.

Top Bottom