• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
So are people still so shocked and appallee recovery jank happens on Lylat Cruise?

Remember that that infamous MVD vs Captain Zack in Smash 4

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Just dropping this in here:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Nice, nice

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Just dropping this in here:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Nice, nice
This is giving me some flashbacks towards SSB4 in 2017.
That was the biggest year for competitive Smash of all time and where my interest in competitive Smash was on an all-time high.

I am super excited for this.

Also kind of beaten me to post this announcement, but I am fine with it.

Edit: Also, I remembered that 2GG tried something like that at 2018, under the name of "Smash Master League", after the conclusion of 2GG Championship, but it didn't really come under full engines. Combination of loss of interest for SSB4 during that time and the announcement of Ultimate.

Cool to see that they are bringing this great concept back up.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Every stage has its issues:

-BF: Creates OP ladder combos.
-FD: Harder to land and is more favorable to zoning.
-PS2: Can get stuck under the stage pineapple style.
-T&C: Side platforms can carry to the blastzone.
-Kalos: Blastzones are too large.
-YS: Slants and OP ladder combos.
-SV: I'm sure there's some problem here.

No stage is perfect.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Soaked Series Invitational

1st: Kola:ultroy::ultsnake::ultcloud::ultyounglink: $10000
2nd: Wrath:ultsonic: $4000
3rd: Dabuz:ultalph::ultrosalina: $2600
4th: Nairo:ultpalutena::ulthero::ultzss: $1400
5th: Cosmos:ultinkling: $600
5th: VoiD:ultsheik: $600
7th: BestNess:ultness::ultpiranha::ultmario::ultrob: $400
7th: Sonix:ultsonic: $400
9th: Marss:ultsnake::ultzss:
9th: Seth:ultyoshi::ultinkling:
9th: Charliedaking:ultwolf:
9th: Samsora:ultpeach:
13th: WaDi:ultrob:
13th: LingLing:ultpeach::ultdaisy:
13th: RobinGG:ultpeach:
13th: Pelca:ultsnake:
17th: ShinyMark:ultpikachu::ultlucas:
17th: Magister:ultincineroar:
17th: Sparg0:ultcloud:
17th: Sharp:ultsheik::ultwolf:
17th: Secretary:ultbayonetta:
17th: SNooFL:ultfox::ultwolf::ultchrom::ultpokemontrainer::ultmario::ultfalco: *That is a lot
17th: Raffi-X:ultrob:
17th: Pokelam:ultvillager:
25th: Pandarian:ultpokemontrainerf:
25th: king_chris:ultzss:
25th: Magic:ultlucas::ultbanjokazooie:
25th: Goblin:ultroy:
25th: Train:ultpalutena::ultroy:
25th: SKITTLES!!:ultyounglink:
25th: WaKa:ultluigi:
25th: Teca:ultyounglink::ultmario:

Notable Upsets:
ProdigyZ49:ultzelda: 2-1 MuteAce:ultbayonetta::ultpalutena:
Airswimmer:ultzelda: 2-1 MuteAce:ultpalutena::ultpeach: (out at 128th)
Ding:ult_terry: 2-0 Grayson:ultrob: (he then DQ'ed at loser's early)
GamingHI9x9:ultluigi: 2-1 Wishes:ultpokemontrainerf::ultcloud:
BattlePuP:ultpalutena: 2-1 Zomba:ultrob:
LazyZach"/:ultsonic: 3-0 Myran:ultolimar:
B-Rice:ultisabelle: 3-2 BestNess:ultpalutena::ultness: (BN kind of threw the first two games away with Palu)
GamingHI9x9:ultluigi: 3-0 Benny&TheJets:ultrob:
Pokelam:ultvillager: 3-1 Samsora:ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultpeach: (the Zelda on game 1 was the only game Samsora took)
BattlePuP:ultpalutena: 3-2 Goblin:ultroy:
Magister:ultincineroar: 3-1 Prodigy:ultmario:
Magister:ultincineroar: 3-1 Mr E:ultlucina:
PrinceOfThieves:ultcloud: 3-1 Epic_Gabriel:ultrob:
Mr.L:ultpikachu: 3-0 Myran:ultolimar: (out at 65th)
Big Papi:ultpacman: 3-1 Zomba:ultrob::ultroy: (out at 65th)
Frawg:ultbayonetta: 3-2 8BitMan:ultdiddy::ultrob: (out at 49th)
Magic:ultlucas: 3-1 Prodigy:ultmario: (out at 49th)
WaKa:ultluigi: 3-2 Benny&TheJets:ultrob: (out at 49th)
WaKa:ultluigi: 3-0 Mr E:ultlucina: (out at 33rd)
RobinGG:ultpeach: 3-2 king_chris:ultzss: (out at 25th)

This one will be both notable upsets AND sets:
Winner's
Cosmos:ultinkling: 3-1 Nairo:ultpalutena:
Wrath:ultsonic: 3-0 Marss:ultsnake: (not sure why Marss didn't go ZSS)
Wrath:ultsonic: 3-2 Dabuz:ultalph::ultrosalina: (winner's finals)
Kola:ultroy: 3-1 Wrath:ultsonic: (grand finals set 1)
Kola:ultroy: 3-0 Wrath:ultsonic: (grand finals set 2)

Loser's
Sonix:ultsonic: 3-1 WaDi:ultrob: (out at 13th)
Kola:ultroy: 3-0 Cosmos:ultinkling::ultpikachu: (out at 5th)
Kola:ultroy: 3-1 Nairo:ultpalutena: (out at 4th)
Kola:ultcloud: 3-1 Dabuz:ultalph::ultrosalina: (out at 3rd)

From winning a C tier, to winning $10,000 over players like Nairo and Dabuz, this has been a completely unreal weekend for Kola.

There are also some interesting character picks from certain characters:
Marss barely went :ultzss: at all, and mostly focused on :ultsnake:. Maybe he doesn't feel very confident with ZSS online, or maybe he wants to play around with his secondaries on this not-PGR'ed tournament.
Cosmos didn't really used :ultpikachu:, or at least in the sets he won in, and stuck with his signature :ultinkling:, which he took a set off of Nairo with. Could be because he thinks his Pikachu still needs more time in the oven, but it seems like we will definitely see more of his Inkling for a while.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
Every stage has its issues:

-BF: Creates OP ladder combos.
-FD: Harder to land and is more favorable to zoning.
-PS2: Can get stuck under the stage pineapple style.
-T&C: Side platforms can carry to the blastzone.
-Kalos: Blastzones are too large.
-YS: Slants and OP ladder combos.
-SV: I'm sure there's some problem here.

No stage is perfect.
none of these are comparable to Lylat jank literally bugging recoveries.

we banned unova for the same reason even though it only screws over 2 characters recoveries. Why can’t we axe Lylat

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
we banned unova for the same reason even though it only screws over 2 characters recoveries.
Well, a large chunk of it being more Unova's layout is too similar to PS2's and the same reason why we don't have PS1/Dreamland/Midgar/Wily's together in the stagelist.

Anyway, it's just another kneejerk reaction from the community, and while I'm not trying to piss on him, I'll be completely fair and add that Dabuz did up-b pretty dang close to the ledge in the clip, which is often a no-no when recovering due to the ledge-snapping physicals in this game.

Besides, has anyone even tried recreating this? Like posting of video it happening while showing their controller to prove they're not inputting down...
If not, then I don't expect anything to come from this, and in the chance this does happen, I don't see a good outcome from banning Lylat, it'd just make the stagelist unbalanced and I don't see any other stages getting added back in or removed as an attempt to balance it.
Some of those criticisms of our tiny stagelist do hold a little water...

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
This tweet here shows other characters having up special ledge snapping issues with Lylat, showing Roy, Marth and Sonic specifically (though the latter can directional airdodge to ledge after if he hasn't already used his airdodge)
Plus there's the already known characters with this issue such as Peach, Kirby and Rosalina now.

And then this thread of tweets explains the issue
specifically the third and fourth tweets explain and show Rosalina's issue. Far as I can make of it, part of it IS on Lylat for having such small ledges as there's a fine line between being at the ledge and being at a ceiling/wall which might also explain why Melee's Battlefield ledges are so ruthless too.

I don't personally find the showing of Marth and Roy to be too terribly noteworthy as from my own experience using Roy and playing against my training buddy's Marth and Roy, their up special already appears to have the issue of having an incredibly tiny ledge sweetspot behind them so if they go under any stage and try to up b back to ledge, it's way harder to snap to ledge for them and other characters might have this issue as well. Lylat just exacerbates it.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Considering Kola's dominating week and all the other resutls.
I think the argument can me made for :ultroy: possibly being the best swordie right now. Even though the does not play like a typical one. He wants to play more like a close-range brawler i.e :ultmario::ultfox:s in your face instead?of sword-spacing. But he is a swordie none the less.

Yes :ultlucina:is more well rounded , well rounded to the point where her sword might as well be her character model might as well be formed of those prototype spheres. But as we have seen before in Smash being more balanced does not mean you will end up the best

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
It's good to see that people are finally accepting that :ultroy: is better than :ultchrom: and the overall best FE swordfighter (:ultlucina:).

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm still not entirely convinced Roy is soundly better than Chrom. Yeah, yeah, recovery, but Roy probably isn't doing too hot if you hit him once offstage either.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think people are jumping the gun about :ultroy: being better than :ultlucina:. It's important to keep it in context. Roy barely passed Lucina by 8 points on Orion Stats at the start of a new season. If season 2 continued Lucina would still be ahead.

I agree Chroy are underrated and have been saying they're top tier for some time. Chroy might end up being better after all but it's important to look at long term trends rather than a few recent results.

RockmanX11

Smash Rookie
Not a tier list! This is a statistics sheet of the highest placements that a character has reached at an A tier or S tier major in Smash Ultimate. The tournament was decided upon the the LiquidPedia website of all of the major Smash Ultimate tournaments so far. I also decided to use solo mains only at these events, defining solo mains using this rule:
1. This character must be used in all but one GAME, not set. Over the course of an entire tournament, this person can only use another character one time. I made this the limit, for I felt that this would be the absolute minimum that the character selection would not affect the player's overall result at the tournament while still holding some leniency for the player.

This is not to say what characters are better than others or who's viable and who isn't. I made this list solely to see the highest placements of every character in the game. If there are any concerns about this list, please tell them below.

Also, I could not find all of their pools matches, so some of them may be wrong upon more research, and if that is the case, please notify me of this.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Let's put to rest the myth that Roy and Chrom only have recovery and kill power separating them.

The biggest thing Roy has over Chrom is shield and hitstun frames.

You have more time to react to getting a hit as Roy, and thus getting hit confirms. This typically means that Roy is doing more damage in some of their hardest matchups.

And because of the extra shieldstun, Roy's bladed hits are frequently safer than Chrom's--and for a sword character, safety is everything. This safety has pretty big implications when some of your commonly used neutral attacks double as kill confirms. For example, many characters can shieldgrab a Chrom jab on shield but due to the extra 1 frame of safety and pushback, they can't shieldgrab Roy's jab. Since jab leads into both side-b and b-air, Roy has a far easier time getting kills than Chrom, just from this one frame alone.

The biggest thing that Chrom has over Roy, on the other hand, is up-b out of shield, which is very strong in certain matchups. For example, I'd rather take Chrom into the Pikachu matchup than Roy; up-bing Pikachu for grazing your shield is a satisfying, strong part of the MU. I'd also rather take Chrom against Lucina since she's floaty and hangs out at good up-b spacing ranges typically. I would definitely rather take Roy against someone like Sonic, though. Sonic isn't going to be applying a lot of shield pressure at all, but those at-the-ledge tight-reaction hit confirms will matter.

Chrom also has a better rising b-air, which is really strong at getting kills in high-% situations on certain stages like Kalos, where Roy might not have been able to net the confirm.

Practically speaking, recovery should be at the bottom of the list of things differentiating these guys. They're not characters with terrible disadvantage states. Look at their airspeed--1.302. Only Yoshi, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo have more than that. This means that if Roy and Chrom are launched far enough, they frequently just drift back to the stage without having to recover at all. On top of this, their airdodges are some of the best in the game--the three (3) characters with better airspeed have significantly worse airdodges. Here's some neutral airdodge data:

Yoshi: 58, invuln 3-30
Jigglypuff: 63, invuln 4-32
Mewtwo: 51, invuln 3-26
Roy/Chrom: 44, invuln 3-29

To compare to another swordie, Lucina: 52, invuln 3-29.

Being a fastfaller in this game isn't actually that bad for disadvantage--it extends some true combos, but falling fast means that you land on the stage before many characters can set up the appropriate landing trap. In fact, I would say that because of this, Chrom and Roy have better disadvantage states than someone like Lucina--and in the specific context of on-stage landing, I think I'd rather have Roy's disadvantage state than Chrom's, because if you're trying to punish the landing by getting up close and shielding the falling aerial, Roy's bladed hits give you less margin of error.

Comparing the two is rather complicated; I'd sooner give the edge to Roy than Chrom, but sadly the real differences between them are overshadowed by the obsession with their recovery.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Not a tier list! This is a statistics sheet of the highest placements that a character has reached at an A tier or S tier major in Smash Ultimate. The tournament was decided upon the the LiquidPedia website of all of the major Smash Ultimate tournaments so far. I also decided to use solo mains only at these events, defining solo mains using this rule:
1. This character must be used in all but one GAME, not set. Over the course of an entire tournament, this person can only use another character one time. I made this the limit, for I felt that this would be the absolute minimum that the character selection would not affect the player's overall result at the tournament while still holding some leniency for the player.

This is not to say what characters are better than others or who's viable and who isn't. I made this list solely to see the highest placements of every character in the game. If there are any concerns about this list, please tell them below.

Also, I could not find all of their pools matches, so some of them may be wrong upon more research, and if that is the case, please notify me of this.
This is wrong. Nairo won Mainstage, which was a Major and he solo'd it with Palutena.

RockmanX11

Smash Rookie
This is wrong. Nairo won Mainstage, which was a Major and he solo'd it with Palutena.
I know it may seem petty, but Nairo used Zero Suit Samus for three games in the tournament, so I did not count it in this list. I may revise this with more lenient rules, for this ruleset, in hindsight, seems a bit too restrictive.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I know it may seem petty, but Nairo used Zero Suit Samus for three games in the tournament, so I did not count it in this list. I may revise this with more lenient rules, for this ruleset, in hindsight, seems a bit too restrictive.
Just a bit.

If you're using an arbitrarily restrictive ruleset like this, you may as well not count Peach, because Samsora uses Daisy for at least one set per tournament.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Oh, I love Chroy discussion.

NairWizard NairWizard - I know you know this, but for the benefit of the thread, I think the hitlag differences between Roy and Chrom are the primary reason you don't see switching based on MU. Timing for fast falling, combos, and various confirms just goes straight to hell unless a player has sunk a ridiculous amount of time into both characters.

The increased hitlag on Roy's moves can certainly help with recognizing when you have a confirm, but I think the case for better shield safety is a mixed bag.

Roy absolutely gains a bit of spammability with his jab's extra frame of safety, but he loses two frames at a safer spacing range. And therein lies a bit of a conundrum: if Roy wants to get the confirm - or pressure for it - he must sacrifice that bit of spacing safety (and gain that frame of shield safety). Being at the range where he can't be shieldgrabbed puts him in the range of those faster OoS options.

Which kind of leads to my main point: I genuinely think the Smash team did a smart, clever job of balancing Roy and Chrom against each other.

In a broad sense, look at a couple of their ground buttons:

Jab
Roy's jab is -9 at best. Chrom's is -10. That single frame of difference allows Chrom to be shield grabbed by about half the cast if he isn't both spacing well and mixing up his pressure. Roy is rewarded more for being a bit riskier. The devs compensated him with a frame.

But! They didn't just leave Chrom with more consistent safety. They made it so his jab scoops far lower than Roy's does, which gives it a function Roy's does not have: ledge hang pressure.

Chrom can also get his (later) jab confirms from maximum spacing.

Ftilt
Roy's Ftilt is famously strong. Sweetspotted, it's -13 on shield. Pretty good for a landing and dash-back catching Fsmash-lite. Chrom's Ftilt is actually two frames less safe at -15. Of course, Roy's becomes one and two frames worse on shield if he plays it safe. Probably fair for something that kills so easily.

Yet, Chrom gets some compensation. Chrom's Ftilt hits well below the ledge and becomes a potent call out not only for jumps, but for two framing and ledge hanging.

To not go too far down a move-by-move rabbit hole - in essence - Chrom is rewarded for playing like a traditional sword character: space well and trap well. Roy is rewarded for taking risks and getting a little too close for comfort for both his opponent and himself.

So, which one is better?
It's a bit of a wash for me. Roy will take a stock at 60 at least once a game. He probably has to commit more than Chrom in order to do so, but the reward is usually so great that it likely evens out over time.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
NairWizard NairWizard
For me, I'd take hitting characters at the ledge with jab/f-tilt over the hitlag. Roy's most practical tool to hit characters at the ledge is d-tilt which is...okay, but not rewarding so you're left having to react( or more realistically, read ) someone's getup options while the opponent can hang out and see what Roy does because they are in little danger of being KO'd for waiting. Chrom on the other hand can kill you for waiting at the ledge with insanely busted risk-reward in his favor so it necessitates a swift response from the opponent making it more likely that they'll pick an unfavorable option in their haste.
I also don't think the jab safety is that huge of a deal since for starters, their jabs out-range most grabs so unless you're spacing jab poorly, shield grab isn't that big a deal. Second, 1 frame of shield safety isn't going to make huge difference because the game doesn't support that kind of pressure unlike traditional fighters which one frame is actually crucial. The fastest defensive option you have (spotdodge) is frame 3 and rolls frame 4-5 meaning you would need to be at least -7 or -8 to beat grab clean. This means that at best, beating grab after Roy's jab is a dice roll where you have to depend on your opponent being a hair slower than you so you can actually avoid it with spotdodge. Naturally the better option be to poke at opponents with d-tilt since that's -5 and no one's punishing that and mix in jabs when the opponents are holed up to avoid d-tilt but again, 1 frame of safety isn't going change this since you aren't beating your opponent with air-tight pressure to begin with at that point but with fear of Chroy's risk-reward instead. I will cede that Roy's side-b is a definite feather in his cap, especially since his is the only side-b that is consistent at max range, but for me, Aether out of shield (and in combos) is far too good to pass up.

Also, shout outs to Minordeth Minordeth for beating me to the punch with what I wanted to say.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
none of these are comparable to Lylat jank literally bugging recoveries.

we banned unova for the same reason even though it only screws over 2 characters recoveries. Why can’t we axe Lylat
Because if that's a narrow enough reason to ban a stage, then Battlefield is also getting banned because under certain conditions Ike's Aether can refuse to slide up the slope under the stage, have Ike clip himself in the stage itself while spinning, and then fall to his death.

That is of course assuming people are actually trying to be objective and not find an excuse to axe Lylat because they personally don't like the stage. Fair is fair. Either off chances of screwing over a recovery is a valid reason (in which case they both go), or its not a valid reason (in which case neither goes). No picking and choosing.

Realistically speaking: it effects a very small amount of characters, and its in specific (and thus controllable) situations. If you insist on using one of those characters, learn how to recover on the stage and the angles you need to avoid or strike the stage 100% of the time.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Oh, I love Chroy discussion.

NairWizard NairWizard - I know you know this, but for the benefit of the thread, I think the hitlag differences between Roy and Chrom are the primary reason you don't see switching based on MU. Timing for fast falling, combos, and various confirms just goes straight to hell unless a player has sunk a ridiculous amount of time into both characters.
Yep, they aren't echoes at all in that sense. But I actually think that if you play both together you've covered just about every matchup in the game, and there's enough overlap to justify doing that. We don't see Chroys do this--but then again, we don't even see most Chroy players using jab -> b-air as often as they should be, either, which baffles me completely. You would think that Chrom and Roy players would get this down so well that they're never missing it. If I mained this character seriously in tournament bracket I would absolutely dedicate time to doing 100 jab b-airs in training mode a day out of various situations, as well as jab -> side-b for Roy and some other confirms. As important as neutral is, kill confirms are by far the most important thing for characters like these.

The increased hitlag on Roy's moves can certainly help with recognizing when you have a confirm
It's worth noting that with tournament nerves in the mix, this is probably the biggest deal out of everything listed in my initial post. It's not just for hit confirms but for near-confirms, too. Roy has an extra safety blanket that Chrom doesn't have, which shines some light on Kola's stellar online performance (though Kola is just as good offline--Roy is just not bad on WiFi, unlike many characters, including possibly Chrom).

Roy absolutely gains a bit of spammability with his jab's extra frame of safety, but he loses two frames at a safer spacing range. And therein lies a bit of a conundrum: if Roy wants to get the confirm - or pressure for it - he must sacrifice that bit of spacing safety (and gain that frame of shield safety). Being at the range where he can't be shieldgrabbed puts him in the range of those faster OoS options.
It certainly looks like this out of context, but I disagree with this assessment.

In what situations are you typically shielding against Chroy jab?

Midrange? I think if you're having to shield against Chroy from midrange you're probably in a good position. Dash up jab, just like (or a little less than) dash up jump n-air, is a committal option from Chroy. As you said, d-tilt is better here, but even then, Chroy using a burst option is just vulnerable to so many responses from the opponent--in order to use burst range, Chroy should be conditioning the opponent to jump first, or whiff a projectile/large aerial.

Instead, I think you're typically shielding against Chroy when either
1) you've incidentally ended up next to them, or
2) you want to approach, and you have limited range (e.g., you're Mario)

In these situations, I would say that Roy jab is the better option, because you don't always have the luxury of properly spacing against a run-in shield or incidental "standing next to each other" situation.

Going one level deeper, I also think that Chroy does a very good job of conditioning the opponent into these "standing next to each other" situations. Their mobility stats naturally lead to this position--just dashing forward and jumping back will often do the trick, for example, which isn't true for most other swords, like Ike or Lucina--and Roy's jab gets more mileage here than Chrom's.

On the other hand, you have Chrom's up-b, which is also very good for some of these situations (26% if your opponent chooses to jump out of the situation).

To not go too far down a move-by-move rabbit hole - in essence - Chrom is rewarded for playing like a traditional sword character: space well and trap well. Roy is rewarded for taking risks and getting a little too close for comfort for both his opponent and himself.
I think Roy can play the traditional sword character game as well though at much lower reward--the difference is that in matchups where the opponent is particularly vulnerable to a traditional sword zoning style, such as Mario, the other character is still playing Roy's game even past tipper spacing. In general, Mario tends to do alright vs. swords (even if they are losing matchups), because he gets much more reward once he's "in" than the sword character can. But with Roy that isn't true. So against Roy, not only do you have to deal with being outranged, you also have to deal with taking huge damage if you happen to manage to get past the range.

So, which one is better?
It's a bit of a wash for me. Roy will take a stock at 60 at least once a game. He probably has to commit more than Chrom in order to do so, but the reward is usually so great that it likely evens out over time.
Yeah, I agree that it's too hard to tell which is better.

NairWizard NairWizard
For me, I'd take hitting characters at the ledge with jab/f-tilt over the hitlag. Roy's most practical tool to hit characters at the ledge is d-tilt which is...okay, but not rewarding so you're left having to react( or more realistically, read ) someone's getup options while the opponent can hang out and see what Roy does because they are in little danger of being KO'd for waiting. Chrom on the other hand can kill you for waiting at the ledge with insanely busted risk-reward in his favor so it necessitates a swift response from the opponent making it more likely that they'll pick an unfavorable option in their haste.
If we're talking about the ledge, Roy getting a read at the ledge kills at like 60, without having to commit to an f-smash, so I think that cancels out Chrom's better/more consistent ledge game, leaving the hitlag as an advantage for Roy.

I also don't think the jab safety is that huge of a deal since for starters, their jabs out-range most grabs so unless you're spacing jab poorly, shield grab isn't that big a deal.
You are spacing jab poorly in most of the situations where you would use jab.

Second, 1 frame of shield safety isn't going to make huge difference because the game doesn't support that kind of pressure unlike traditional fighters which one frame is actually crucial. The fastest defensive option you have (spotdodge) is frame 3 and rolls frame 4-5 meaning you would need to be at least -7 or -8 to beat grab clean.
You can buffer the follow-up (jab or spotdodge), so it comes out on the first possible frame--in practice, with pushback, Chrom gets shieldgrabbed for jab -> buffered spotdodge or jab -> buffered jab all the time, and Roy doesn't. The 1 extra frame is very carefully placed to matter a lot here. This one's a hard argument to make with numbers alone. Try it against some high-level players; I guarantee you'll see the difference.

Naturally the better option be to poke at opponents with d-tilt since that's -5 and no one's punishing that and mix in jabs when the opponents are holed up to avoid d-tilt but again
d-tilt is a low-to-the-ground option so it's beaten by tons of jumps (which jab is good at catching, depending on the MU). I think it has less general applicability than jab, despite being a really strong option.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
To be honest most stages are fine, smash players simply doesn't like labbing stages this is the primary reason why we dont use hazard Off and why when something unusual happens to a top player in a controversial stage the whole smash social media explotes.

If lylat gets banned players will jump to kalos, Town and City and even final destination ban bandwagon, the only good stages for most players are ps2 smallville and maybe battlefield.

The less stages that they need to lab the better for most of them.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
NairWizard NairWizard I don't think I agree with Chroy having a better disadvantage than Marcina. While Roy and Chrom have great airspeed, their poor aerial acceleration hurts their mixup potential in disadvantage. Also, Marth/Lucina have a faster fair, bair, and dair than Chrom/Roy which makes it easier for Marcina to land with aerials. In addition, Marth/Lucina have a better recovery than Chrom/Roy due to lower fall speed, higher jump height, and a better up special for recovery. While Chroy has a better airdodge and more weight, Marcina has better landing buttons, better resistance to combos, and a better recovery.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
Because if that's a narrow enough reason to ban a stage, then Battlefield is also getting banned because under certain conditions Ike's Aether can refuse to slide up the slope under the stage, have Ike clip himself in the stage itself while spinning, and then fall to his death.

That is of course assuming people are actually trying to be objective and not find an excuse to axe Lylat because they personally don't like the stage. Fair is fair. Either off chances of screwing over a recovery is a valid reason (in which case they both go), or its not a valid reason (in which case neither goes). No picking and choosing.

Realistically speaking: it effects a very small amount of characters, and its in specific (and thus controllable) situations. If you insist on using one of those characters, learn how to recover on the stage and the angles you need to avoid or strike the stage 100% of the time.
Do you know of any other characters being affected on bf ledges or is it just Ike?

And Lylat's ledge issues affect like 1/3rd of the cast. Not just a few

NairWizard

Somewhere
I don't know how much value you guys get from me responding to response posts. Usually when someone disagrees I just leave it be. Lately I've been trying to dig deeper into the issue so we achieve better mutual understanding. Let me know if this is useful or if you'd like to see back-and-forths terminate earlier.

NairWizard NairWizard I don't think I agree with Chroy having a better disadvantage than Marcina. While Roy and Chrom have great airspeed, their poor aerial acceleration hurts their mixup potential in disadvantage. Also, Marth/Lucina have a faster fair, bair, and dair than Chrom/Roy which makes it easier for Marcina to land with aerials. In addition, Marth/Lucina have a better recovery than Chrom/Roy due to lower fall speed, higher jump height, and a better up special for recovery. While Chroy has a better airdodge and more weight, Marcina has better landing buttons, better resistance to combos, and a better recovery.
We don't have tons of footage on similar stages here to examine, but there is enough. Here are some examples:

Here's Rivers vs. Nairo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMYSRBiFwoQ
Here's Kola vs. Nairo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6PY8DOyT-s
Here's Mr. E vs. Nairo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pin9zZteck

I chose a common opposing character (Palutena) for consistency. You can see in the games that are played on PS2 that in disadvantage they get hit in mostly the same situations, and take about the same % from a single opening (except when Kola chooses to jump too early in disadvantage or Mr. E chooses to hang on to ledge for a moment too long and gets d-tilted, but those are player decisions, not intrinsic properties of the characters). If you watched a ton of sets of both Chroy and Marcina, I suspect that you'd see Marcina taking more damage onstage overall in a wider variety of matchups, and Chroy getting gimped and ledgetrapped more often. Since onstage disadvantage happens more frequently, I'd give the edge to Chroy.

I don't have the time to go and dissect the videos right now, but we could do that, if it's useful.

Generally I think falling to the ground faster is better for a swordie than hitbox coverage when landing.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Do you know of any other characters being affected on bf ledges or is it just Ike?

And Lylat's ledge issues affect like 1/3rd of the cast. Not just a few
It's not 1/3 of the cast, it's about 5~6 characters, several of which can still make it back if the snap fails (Sonic for example). Narrow ledge that can be difficult to grab for some recoveries =/= not grabbing when touching the ledge like in the clip. The narrow ledge is part of what makes it a good counterpick stage and is an upside, not a downside.

As for BF, probably Chrom as well due to a very similar recovery. Wanna say I saw it happen to a teleport recovery as well but I honestly don't remember if it was this game or SSB4. Unlike the Lylat example, its more specific in its interaction but far less avoidable if the interaction happens. Lylat is "don't Up B from this angle at this specific spot, plus or minus a few pixals" with very few situations where the character must Up B specifically there, couldn't do it before, and would fail to get the distance if they did it afterwards. Its not great that it can happen, but its the players own fault when it happens 99% of the time, with 1% being the opponent managing to force it.

BF is "if you're forced to Up B almost anywhere under the stage and then the opponent does specifically X, you're dead".

Neither frankly are likely to happen, what happened on Lylat is the first time it has happened in tournament since like month 1 or even pre-release when some stages were a bit glitchy. What I'm describing on BF hasn't really happened since it was discovered either at around the same timeframe.

Also again: either screwing up recoveries in glitchy ways is always a bannable reason, or its never a bannable reason. Don't get to go "When it only effects 1-2 characters it doesn't count, has to be at least 4 characters" or whatever. There is no logic based line you can draw in the sand outside of all or nothing. Anything else is trying to get rid of a stage for personal dislike but disguising it behind other reasoning. Also worth reemphasizing that the main reason why Unova was banned was the similar layout to another already legal stage and not the ledges. That was the reason that came up the most when it was being phased out, with "teleport recoveries can kinda bounce off at times" and "stage so dark that Snake can hide his C4 and G&W can kinda blend in" both being distant secondary reasons. Lylat has a layout that no other stage has with its platforms, which is important for keeping counterpick options fair and not lopsided to particular playing styles.

If Melee could put up with PS1 camping/occasional glitching for the sake of stage options, we can put up with Lylat's even more occasional glitching for the sake of stage options.

Last edited:

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
As for BF, probably Chrom as well due to a very similar recovery. Wanna say I saw it happen to a teleport recovery as well but I honestly don't remember if it was this game or SSB4.
I can confirm teleport recoveries can seemingly randomly (though not actually) just get messed up by BF ledges in this game. And Lucario has a similar issue with it as well.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
If you watched a ton of sets of both Chroy and Marcina, I suspect that you'd see Marcina taking more damage onstage overall in a wider variety of matchups, and Chroy getting gimped and ledgetrapped more often. Since onstage disadvantage happens more frequently, I'd give the edge to Chroy.
Marcina takes more damage on-stage, so you give the edge to Chroy? You need be on-stage to actually take damage there, so shouldn't Marcina have the edge?
Generally I think falling to the ground faster is better for a swordie than hitbox coverage when landing.
I can agree with this though.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Lylatt has been here for more than 10 years. its time for some people to learn the properties of the stage. Every single stage has issues banning them is not the solution insisting players go lab on the stages is a long term answer. and dabuz knows what happened to him there's honestly nothing to talk about on this.

Plus im of the belief the smaller the stage list the more dominant top tiers become.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Instead of Lylat discussion being the same, tired “ledge jank” why not discuss the stage itself? It’s layout, it’s platforms, it’s blastzones, and so on and how they effect MUs and character strength. Then determine based off that discussion if the stage should be banned or not? That’s how we banned stages like Castle Siege, which as much as I personally would like to stay around because we are in desperate need of smaller stages that giant slant in the middle would allow for some real challenges to overcome for the player who doesn’t have high ground.

I personally don’t have a lot of experience on the stage, it gets auto banned by pretty much everyone in my scene and only a few people willingly go there such as our Wii Fit one of the Bowsers. I find Bowser is quite formidable on the stage the slants seem to favor his OOS options and the platforms are easily covered by his wide ranged attacks while at the same time being high and close enough to the sides to allow for earlier side b kills. I’ve personally CP’d to the stage as Ness a few times particularly in MUs against horizontal zoners as the slants do require them to play a bit closer to center stage in order to use some of their moves more effectively.

Rizen

Smash Legend
There's nothing wrong with (legal) stages other than Lylat; they do not have issues. If Mario is laddering you off the top of BF that's him being a top tier and I've got news for you: he can do that anywhere. Kalos has big blastzones; it's a counterpick stage. This is a trait, not an issue. If you can't defend Lylat don't try to drag other stages through the mud instead.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
There's nothing wrong with (legal) stages other than Lylat; they do not have issues. If Mario is laddering you off the top of BF that's him being a top tier and I've got news for you: he can do that anywhere. Kalos has big blastzones; it's a counterpick stage. This is a trait, not an issue. If you can't defend Lylat don't try to drag other stages through the mud instead.
Did you miss the previous conversation with multiple people confirming that characters can clip into BF while trying to recover?

Hate to say it, Lylat is not the only legal stage with issues, its thin ledges being a good counterpick trait aside.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I'd rather talk about character viability. Stage viability actually has it's own forum so discussing stage legality here instead of there is redundant and unnecessary.

blackghost

Smash Champion
wait mario is a top tier now? or do you mean high tier? there is a difference.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
wait mario is a top tier now? or do you mean high tier? there is a difference.
He's neither. There isn't an official tier list so where we draw the line between "top" and "high", and who fits in which, depends entirely on who you ask.

I don't quite see Mario as a top tier either but if you're going to correct someone on a classification that doesn't currently exist could you at least do it in a way that might actually be productive to discussion? Perhaps ask him to go more in depth on why he sees Mario as a top tier, or provide your own analysis on why you think his weaknesses are enough to bar him from there?

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
He's neither. There isn't an official tier list so where we draw the line between "top" and "high", and who fits in which, depends entirely on who you ask.

I don't quite see Mario as a top tier either but if you're going to correct someone on a classification that doesn't currently exist could you at least do it in a way that might actually be productive to discussion? Perhaps ask him to go more in depth on why he sees Mario as a top tier, or provide your own analysis on why you think his weaknesses are enough to bar him from there?
Hey, ZeRo called the PGR tier-list "official", so it must be right.

(Hate it when people with influence start calling things what they actually aren't)

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Hey, ZeRo called the PGR tier-list "official", so it must be right.
In the title, he called it official but in the video he clarified that it only kind of/sort of/wasn't really official. Maybe not, but its the closest thing we'll probably have to one for at least a few months.

That being said, I'll continue the conversation on :ultmario: and say that I do personally consider him to be top tier. Everything about him is solid except his range and he can occasionally struggle to find a kill onstage past up-air > up-air > up-air > d-air/up-b percents or if he can't land an up-smash. His frame data on his normals is among the best in the game and there are very few characters who have a move fast enough to be able to escape out of Mario's combos once he's started one (:ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultsheik: are some of the only ones I can think of). He also has a solid neutral, amazing edgeguarding, a decent approach, strong juggling tools, and a serviceable recovery. IMO, he seems like one of the most well-rounded characters in Ultimate who can deal with almost any matchup or situation. It also helps that he doesn't really have a bad stage either, with Kalos being the only one that I think would give Mario a slight bit of trouble due to it's higher ceiling. And even so, Mario can still do all of his edgeguarding, combos, and juggles that he does so well, he's just not going to be laddering you off the top as much.

I personally think that he is top tier, and could end up with a better tier list spot compared to Smash 4 in the long run due to the fact that Mario is overall more consistent due to not relying as heavily on landing a grab at 0% or going for a janky early up-b kill with rage.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
:ultmario: is a character that has transitioned similar to :ultzss:. Where there most abusable jank were nerfed (i.e) down throw combos but they got many notable buffs to many of his other moves, making them feel more solid?and well-rounded over

Mario's notable nerfs

More endlag on d-throw like most characters
up-tilt horizontal hitbox reduced meaning he wont be juggling opponents to like 40-50% with it off a d-throw

Up-Smash has slightly less knockback

Now for Buffs

Fireballs have less endlag and cause more hitstun, meaning they can be potentially comboed into

f-tilt has more knockback and less endlag making it a better neutral poke

FLUDD is actually useful now, with less endlag and stronger pushback

Dair has higher vertical knockback, also making it a decent potential kill move and?combo ender

Up-B has increased vertical knockback,which is why ladder kill combos are a bit more consistent in Ultimate

Last edited:
Top Bottom